Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
Whelp, it's official. The Sounders are officially a bad team. Wouldn't surprise me a bit if they end up missing the playoffs this year.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sounders back line is piss poor. They still haven’t recovered from Marshall’s departure. They would have had 3 points today if they had just an average defense. They are definitely not playing like a mls cup contender.

Threedee

Reaction score
I actually laughed at the ineptitude of their defense. Basically tried and failed to give the game away to NE, finally settling on a draw as a means to avoid the offense coming away with a win.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
For as much as I usually applaud Lagerwey and the Sounder's FO for making good roster moves, they really messed up on the Arreaga signing, he has miserably failed to live up to anchoring the center back position with Marshall's departure.

Add in the fact that we're already paying Kee-Hee 772K, Torres 740K and Smith 560K..........and this makes our back line the most bloated underachieving overpaid back line in the entire league.

uncle fester

Reaction score
Russ and Ciara have bought the team??

EDIT: They've become part of the Ownership Group. My bad.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
uncle fester":3sxh3yuj said:
Russ and Ciara have bought the team??

EDIT: They've become part of the Ownership Group. My bad.

Goes way deeper than this, looks like a private equity firm from California was trying to purchase Joe Roth's majority interest, so Terry Myerson brought all these other people together to buy out Roth's interest..........which is awesome.

Here's the story.

https://www.sounderatheart.com/2019/8/1 ... new-owners

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The collapse continues. Nine matches remain and I'll be utterly shocked if this team gets more than nine points from them.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Absolute garbage. This team cannot defend. Arreaga looks like a miss. Joevin Jones has stunk coming back.

Jordy Delem brings nothing to this team. His give away for the first goal was shocking.

We're in big danger of not making the play offs if this slump continues. Portland who are below the play off line have all home games left so should climb.

I don't know the answer, play Svensson at CB? Hope Torres stops the slump after his suspension.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":b950pxt2 said:
I don't know the answer, play Svensson at CB? Hope Torres stops the slump after his suspension.

Well I know it's not trotting out the garbage back line of Campbell, Arreaga and Abdul Salaam..........and trying to compensate for that lack of skill with a 3-3-2-2 formation and Delem in the middle.

This was all of our worry at the beginning of the season, injuries and age would catch up to us, and it's happening. V-Rod is once again always dinged up, Torres looks 100 years old, Morris can't play a full 90 in the same week, Smith is hurt again.

For this club to compete down the stretch and in the playoffs we've gotta have a healthy full squad. Sure you can compensate for one missing starter, but not 3-4 per match relying on S2 players.

Threedee

Reaction score
Was that a comedy festival or a soccer match?

Also, is there a Guinness record for futility in defense in organized team sports?

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Playing against 10 men for 84 minutes and almost lose. The team is absolutely devoid of confidence.

We need to beat Portland, maybe it will spark something.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
This is like a Bizarro Sounders year.

Usually we stink in the first half, scramble for our lives, rip off 12 wins in a row and roll into the playoffs ready to do some damage. This year it's the exact opposite.

Not sure what the hell's going on, but this club has way too much talent to be struggling this hard to put it together for the playoff push.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
The defense was still quite shaky at times, but overall that was the best the team has looked in 2 months.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Great win especially the performances of Svensson and Morris.

Rode our luck the last 20 minutes but Portland goal was lucky.

I hope with the new players in we dont see Delem start anymore.

Hopefully that win turns our season around.