Seattle Sounders 2019 Season Thread

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3umbez6e said:
Man is it nice to have a full roster. Welcome back Raul............that was goal of the week if I ever saw one. What a brilliant goal.

Reminded me of Paul Gascoigne vs Scotland in Euro 96.

A joke that we had to play the last four with almost a B roster. It's time MLS took into account international tournaments. LAFC are decent yeah but they've been almost unscathed with call ups and injuries thus far hence the big points gap.

Would still like to keep/extend Smith and get another forward in during the summer window. Too Risky to rely on just Ruidiaz. Dhillon and the 16/17 year olds may be good but are way to unknown at this point.

On the plus side Ramon Torres looked decent...like the Torres of a couple of years ago, not the bomb scare that played vs LAFC. I feel like losing Marshall rattled the team a little and they are just getting over it now.

Beat Portland. Play Tacoma players on Wednesday though.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":2r4w3tcm said:
Sgt. Largent":2r4w3tcm said:
Man is it nice to have a full roster. Welcome back Raul............that was goal of the week if I ever saw one. What a brilliant goal.

A joke that we had to play the last four with almost a B roster. It's time MLS took into account international tournaments. LAFC are decent yeah but they've been almost unscathed with call ups and injuries thus far hence the big points gap.

Would still like to keep/extend Smith and get another forward in during the summer window. Too Risky to rely on just Ruidiaz. Dhillon and the 16/17 year olds may be good but are way to unknown at this point.

On the plus side Ramon Torres looked decent...like the Torres of a couple of years ago, not the bomb scare that played vs LAFC. I feel like losing Marshall rattled the team a little and they are just getting over it now.

Not that he played yesterday, but I think Arreaga has been the calming influence in practice and matches that we needed after Marshall's abrupt retirement.........and that's helped both Kim and Torres not feel like they have to do too much, which has resulted in the chinese firedrill inconsistency we've seen out of both Kim and Torres.

Not sure about Smith, I'd also love for him to stay. He fits well into this club, but with Jones aboard he might be viewed as expendable. Unless they're going to keep Smith as the LB and let Jones play wing where Shipp was yesterday?

Idk.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1dddggui said:
Glasgow Seahawk":1dddggui said:
Sgt. Largent":1dddggui said:

Not that he played yesterday, but I think Arreaga has been the calming influence in practice and matches that we needed after Marshall's abrupt retirement.........and that's helped both Kim and Torres not feel like they have to do too much, which has resulted in the chinese firedrill inconsistency we've seen out of both Kim and Torres.

Not sure about Smith, I'd also love for him to stay. He fits well into this club, but with Jones aboard he might be viewed as expendable. Unless they're going to keep Smith as the LB and let Jones play wing where Shipp was yesterday?

Idk.

Smith > Jones at LB. In my opinion, Jones is more suited for wing rather than on the backline (in his first stint with the club, he was horrific on defense but adequate when pushing forward).

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Definitely Smith > Jones at LB...........and I'd have a hard time believing that Jones would agree to come back if he knew he'd be playing solely LB.

That was some of his discontent for wanting out before wasn't it? Wanting to play more wing and mid? Obviously it was about money, but I thought I remembered this as well.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
I have a good gut feeling Smith will be extended. He was struggling a bit at Bournemouth.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Actually a very entertaining friendly. Dortmund is obviously a much better side, but the Sounders held their own, especially in the first half. Bad luck on Raul's header.

But overall a highly enjoyable friendly, no injuries..............and now lets beat the crap out of Portland.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Well........chalk this up as the most disappointing loss of the season so far.

Full roster with Lodeiro back, more rest, at home.................and the ability to wrap up the Cascadia Cup in July by beating a bad Portland side.

Nope.

One thing I've noticed with Bruin's season ending injury is the Sounders desperately need a veteran attacking spark off the bench late in matches. A Bruin Chad Barrett type.

Both Morris and Ruidiaz wear down, especially Morris. I'd like to see that addressed before the summer transfer window closes. LOTS of those type of players in the league, go get one.

knownone

Reaction score
I haven't been following the team closely for the last couple of season, so i'm a little out of the loop on things. Has there been any talk about bringing in another player in the summer window?

I've noticed that Schmetzer is finally playing Morris in the midfield (where he belongs), and it would seem to my casual viewing eye that this team still needs another forward. The back-line seems a little shaky as well, and the midfield, sans Roldan, is lacking in pace.

Everything I've read seems to indicate the team has no plans to make any more moves. I'm hoping that's not true because as we're currently constructed, I don't think our back-line will hold up against LAFC. We definitely have the firepower to hang with them, but the lack of depth is a major concern with V-rod's infinitely variable level of fitness.

OP
OP
SeatownJay

SeatownJay

Reaction score
knownone":18ewtfbz said:
I haven't been following the team closely for the last couple of season, so i'm a little out of the loop on things. Has there been any talk about bringing in another player in the summer window?

I've noticed that Schmetzer is finally playing Morris in the midfield (where he belongs), and it would seem to my casual viewing eye that this team still needs another forward. The back-line seems a little shaky as well, and the midfield, sans Roldan, is lacking in pace.

Everything I've read seems to indicate the team has no plans to make any more moves. I'm hoping that's not true because as we're currently constructed, I don't think our back-line will hold up against LAFC. We definitely have the firepower to hang with them, but the lack of depth is a major concern with V-rod's infinitely variable level of fitness.
Sounds like Seattle is close to picking up another CDM on a loan move.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ELROLONW/status/1155547940917665792[/tweet]

hawkfan68

Reaction score
SeatownJay":20pm7cqc said:
knownone":20pm7cqc said:

Sounds like Seattle is close to picking up another CDM on a loan move.

[tweet]https://twitter.com/ELROLONW/status/1155547940917665792[/tweet]

He’s a central midfielder which is the position Lodeiro plays on the Sounders. I wonder if this gives additional legs to the rumor that Lodeiro wants to go back to Boca. Adding another CM makes sense if Lodeiro were to leave.

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Good win at the weekend but we need another forward asap. Can't jut rely on Ruidiaz

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Seems like every time the Sounders look like they're close to back on form to go on a roll, they stub their toe.

- Big win over Vancouver, get rolled by NYFC
- Big win over Atlanta, look like garbage against a bad Portland side to not lock up the Cascadia Cup
- Go on road and win in a very tough place to win, Houston, then give up three goals to a mediocre SKC

FRUSTRATING!!

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
Last night was worrying. If we don't get reinforcements we are in trouble.

Expecting Ruidiaz to last the season healthy is asking for a miracle. There is not much depth behind him and it showed last night. Morris did well but he's not a forward. I hope Obafemi Martins being there last night is a sign.

Levya looked every bit like a 16 year old last night. He has promise but for now we need another experienced DM and stop putting so much pressure on the kid.

Joevin Jones hasn't done crap since coming back. I think either play him at backup LB over Nouhou or don't play him.

Our CB's are slower than a week in jail, got absolutely destroyed against the counter attack last night.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Glasgow Seahawk":1zun91qr said:
Last night was worrying. If we don't get reinforcements we are in trouble.

Expecting Ruidiaz to last the season healthy is asking for a miracle. There is not much depth behind him and it showed last night. Morris did well but he's not a forward. I hope Obafemi Martins being there last night is a sign.

Levya looked every bit like a 16 year old last night. He has promise but for now we need another experienced DM and stop putting so much pressure on the kid.

Joevin Jones hasn't done crap since coming back. I think either play him at backup LB over Nouhou or don't play him.

Our CB's are slower than a week in jail, got absolutely destroyed against the counter attack last night.

I also hope the Martin sighting is something happening, but it would also mean that Ruidiaz's ankle is more serious than we think.

Right now the Sounders have scored only 35 goals this year, and given up 31. That's VERY mediocre on the scoring end, and 6th in the league in goals against.

So yes after Marshall left our CB play has been weak, but it's nowhere near our biggest problem. It's scoring goals. So if there are moves to be made, I want to see more firepower and depth at the wing and forward position.

Because this club isn't going anywhere in the playoffs with Morris as our only goal scoring threat with a gimpy Ruidiaz.

Latest posts