SEC DPOTY: Michael Sam announced he is gay

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":25tyzql3 said:
I don't think he is going to meet the LEO profile. He has long arms, right weight, but I don't think he is even close to the athlete they would look for at that spot. His pass rush repertoire is limited, he played almost exclusively RDE, and he looked a bit slow for the LEO to me.

I read that one of his weaknesses was short arms. If that isn't the case than that changes things.

Marvin49

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":4erjkzem said:
It's stupid that this is even news.

It won't be forever.

Did ya notice how often race was mentioned in regards to Kap and Wilson in the SB the last two years? Almost not at all. Thats a far cry from Doug Williams.

Just takes time.

EverydayImRusselin

Reaction score
Marvin49":3nzw57gp said:
Scottemojo":3nzw57gp said:
I don't think he is going to meet the LEO profile. He has long arms, right weight, but I don't think he is even close to the athlete they would look for at that spot. His pass rush repertoire is limited, he played almost exclusively RDE, and he looked a bit slow for the LEO to me.

I read that one of his weaknesses was short arms. If that isn't the case than that changes things.

nfldraftscout.com says 33 1/4". Seems long to me.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Marvin49":33rj5zxg said:
It won't be forever.

Did ya notice how often race was mentioned in regards to Kap and Wilson in the SB the last two years? Almost not at all. Thats a far cry from Doug Williams.

Just takes time.
Yeah, I was pleased about the lack of coverage regarding race leading up to this Super Bowl, and last year's. Some, but not much.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Marvin49":2p50x1xv said:
Scottemojo":2p50x1xv said:

33 plus arms isn't short. 80 inch wingspan isn't short at all, in fact it's a damn good number. I think a lot of guys get fooled by his height and assume short arms.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":31whs92q said:
Marvin49":31whs92q said:
Scottemojo":31whs92q said:

33 plus arms isn't short. 80 inch wingspan isn't short at all, in fact it's a damn good number. I think a lot of guys get fooled by his height and assume short arms.

I stand corrected.

I had read there were concerns about his arm length. If he's got long arms he will be on the Niners radar as well...its comical when you look at the arm length of the players Baalke has drafted.

Missing_Clink

Reaction score
Very happy for him. To all those frustrated that he didn't keep his private life private, its pretty clear that he did this because he knew the rumor mill regarding his sexuality was about to spin out of control and he wanted the news to come out on his terms. He had to choose between rampant rumors or owning it and he chose to own it. Very admirable.

And if you still think it shouldn't be news or even out there, you are extremely naive to the reality that a so far, a gay man has not been able to be totally open about his sexuality while playing the NFL. That is indicative of the NFL being well behind much of the rest of the workplaces in this country, and that needs to change.

And if you STILL think he should just hide who he is, you are a bigot. And no, I'm not interested in hearing about how upset you are that I am being bigoted against your bigotry. Spare me.

hoxrox

Reaction score
"If he wanted to play, nobody in this league could tell me he wasn't worth a shot at their roster," said Scott, a teammate of Rhodes with the Jets in 2009. "He's super athletic, 6-3. He's basically Kam Chancellor but can cover better."

Read More: http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/nfl/ne ... z2sxYsacLw

If there's any ounce of truth to that, draft him right away.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
hoxrox":1lzog6q6 said:
"If he wanted to play, nobody in this league could tell me he wasn't worth a shot at their roster," said Scott, a teammate of Rhodes with the Jets in 2009. "He's super athletic, 6-3. He's basically Kam Chancellor but can cover better."

That quote is about Kerry Rhodes, not Sam.

Marvin49

Reaction score
Scottemojo":fth9dogh said:
hoxrox":fth9dogh said:

That quote is about Kerry Rhodes, not Sam.

LOL...I was gonna say...

As I said before...in what little I've seen of him he looks a bit like James Harrison to me.

Njhawkboss

Reaction score
Sorry to be harsh u can't be gay and play for the seahawks we got to many bad asses on the team and we are good in the dline

CPHawk

Reaction score
Rhodes is good, but lol at being Cam. No even close.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Njhawkboss":3cof3uu5 said:
Sorry to be harsh u can't be gay and play for the seahawks we got to many bad asses on the team and we are good in the dline
You aren't harsh. You are wrong.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":8kistl1y said:
ivotuk":8kistl1y said:
I hope the Seahawks draft him. Pete Carroll is progressive enough, the locker room is strong enough, and it would be a step in the right direction for the NFL. He has the talent to play in the NFL and he has already dealt with the locker room issue, in Missouri no less. Good for him. Whoever drafts him will get a good player and I think he has the talent to prove his value in the locker room.

I only hope the Seahawks draft him if they believe he will contribute on this team, not because he's gay and they want him to fit in.

I never said that, and please don't insinuate any falsehoods about my beliefs. It comes off as if this is what YOU wanted to say and were looking for a post that you thought you could attribute that kind of attitude to.

HawkWow

Reaction score
RolandDeschain":1dwxs2gs said:
It's stupid that this is even news.

I agree. I sense a different angle / motivation in play here. I'm sure there are countless gay men in the NFL, all living free of persecution, while practicing the policy of "Don't ask, don't tell".

If Sam were the top rated DL in this draft, I might see this differently and would applaud him without reservation. But he is projected to go quite low in the draft which to me, raises some questions about his motives, as well as his timing. What he has managed to do with this (IMO) unnecessary announcement is add pressure to teams looking at late rd DL. IE "We weren't real high on Sam prior to his announcement, now if we take another DL in his projected area, we look like we're homophobes and can look forward to a PR nightmare".

Waiting for the straight players to come out now and announce they're straight. Of course, I suppose they would be called homophobes if they did (?). That's how much sense this makes to me.

ivotuk

Reaction score
I don't know a lot about him but read he was good in coverage and would make a great OLB. He's predicted to go in rounds 3 to 5 and while he's not a show-stopper, he can be a good rotational player. I'll be interested to see what his times are at the Combine.

CPHawk

Reaction score
The only reason I wouldn't want Sam on the team, is the same reason I never wanted Tebow and would never want Maziel. It's going to be a media circus every fn day at whatever team takes him. It's a shame that he's going to have to go through that, I hope he thought that through before going to the media. My banker didn't have to call the media and tell them he's gay, and neither should athletes. This whole non story is only news because the stupid media loves to make mountains out of mole hills.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
Mantei Theo played the whole season for the Chargers, and they made the playoffs.
The argument that the media will make things bad is just an excuse. The media will do what the media will do.
There should only be one question asked: Can Sam play ball? Can he help a team win. If the answer is YES, teams should draft him. If you listened to Sam's interview, that's all he asked for. An opportunity to play the game he loves.

TXHawkFan":14agvj46 said:
I don't really care if he's gay or not, if he can play I hope the Seahawks draft him. If he can't play I hope the 49ers draft him.

What I'm afraid of is that this is now going to turn into Manti Teo's Fake Girlfriend 2.0, ie a story that will dominate the NFL media between now and the draft. Not looking forward to it.

Latest posts