Serious ? What did Seattle do to earn wrath of Officials?

mwmccollough

Reaction score
JSeahawks":4meazdco said:
cymatica":4meazdco said:
Another question: What will it take for opponents oline to get a holding call?

If the practice time doesn't ruin the game first the officiating will.

This is the thing that drives me nuts. Call penalties on the Seahawks, fine, whatever, but call them on the other team too.

Atlanta’s last scoring drive yesterday they had that 3rd and long deep ball to Julio Jones. Freeney was held on that play as obvious a hold and you could imagine. Would have taken 7 points off the board from Atlanta.

This is the issue I have, you have these calls ignored for other teams that we would absolutely be flagged on. On the prior drive we had Wilson get hit in the head and facemask on a sack followed by Richardson being mugged with no flag and we settled for 3. We earn the majority of our penalties without a doubt, I just want it called both ways.

Hawks46

Reaction score
drrew":3gdqus90 said:
The "holding" call on Sheldon Richardson was one of the more egregious BS calls I've seen.

Add to that the non PI call for P. Richardson. There was 10x the amount of contact than there was on the Maxwell PI call. Plus the guy never bothered to turn and look for the ball, just hugged PRich's arm to his side. That's kind of in the rules and stuff.

The weird thing is the holding call on Duane Brown. In our very stadium, playing for Houston, he did that exact same thing repeatedly. He hooks a guy a bit around his neck if he gets by, but lets go right away. It's a savvy veteran move because you don't see the defensive player being pulled back or misdirected, but it does slow him down. You could see him say something to the ref after that.

Then on that last big pass play to Julio, there was a Falcon OLman literally hugging T. Richardson (i think. right DT for sure). OL is fully behind the defensive player wrapping with 2 arms and pulling DT tackle back. Referee decided to swallow the whistle and god knows why.

Holding call on Richardson was dumb as well. Very marginal.

I don't think there's a big conspiracy but it's hard to argue when all of these penalties and non calls happen in crucial moments.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
It still baffles me that there are hawk fans making excuses for the lopsided officiating that we see each week.

Yes of course the hawks have a reputation. Who cares? Human nature? Who cares? Call the game correctly. Flag the hawks all you want, but our opponents violations should be flagged too at the same clip, REGARDLESS.

I said this yesterday in the gameday forum right after Paul Richardson was accosted and no flag (which probably cost us important points in retrospect) when we have half of our fans making excuses for the refs, why would we expect the NFL to require a balanced-called game?

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Imagine being that guy who comes in late all the time, then your boss says "stop being late"

- You show up on-time from now on, but the one time you show up even a minute late your boss is back on your ass vs everybody else who routinely shows up 5 minutes late every day.

Is it fair? no. But you now have the reputation as the "late guy" and all eyes are on you. Same goes for the Hawks and penalties. They need like a full season of being a "clean team" regarding penalties and maybe the refs will stop focusing so much on them.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Hawkpower":3r96ojwc said:
It still baffles me that there are hawk fans making excuses for the lopsided officiating that we see each week.

Yes of course the hawks have a reputation. Who cares? Human nature? Who cares? Call the game correctly. Flag the hawks all you want, but our opponents violations should be flagged too at the same clip, REGARDLESS.

I said this yesterday in the gameday forum right after Paul Richardson was accosted and no flag (which probably cost us important points in retrospect) when we have half of our fans making excuses for the refs, why would we expect the NFL to require a balanced-called game?

Because the Hawks put themselves in this situation. If you're on the hot seat/probation you need to be cleaner than everyone else just to get back to normal. The hawks played tough to the rules season after season putting the pressure on the officials, this is how they fire back. Hawks initially won with very tough D that led a SB, now the Refs have fired back.

Time to adapt the defensive and offensive strategy that does not leave these types of judgement calls for the officials. It's not fair. Life is not fair. But the Hawks caused it on themselves. So yes they earned the wrath of the officials and are now paying for it. Adapt to the new situation or continue complaining about "lopsided penalties". Because truthfully no one outside of Seattle feels like we're getting hosed on calls and in fact feel like Karma is finally biting our team back.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Last note: ever notice how every time a flag is thrown the player who the penalty is on is almost immediately throwing up their hands like "WHAT?!? WHO ME?!? HOW?!? WHY?!?". If it's really that much of a surprise and you're not playing in the grey areas of the rules why are you immediately defending yourself the second you see yellow.

Seymour

Reaction score
ZagHawk":9cbz55c8 said:
Last note: ever notice how every time a flag is thrown the player who the penalty is on is almost immediately throwing up their hands like "WHAT?!? WHO ME?!? HOW?!? WHY?!?". If it's really that much of a surprise and you're not playing in the grey areas of the rules why are you immediately defending yourself the second you see yellow.

Lane on his PI in the end zone didn't do that. What he did was far worse. The idiot was laughing about it. :rumble:

But yes, you are correct. No accountability...period.

rcaido

Reaction score
Sounds like profile officiating to me...Can us fans start kneeling for these dumb refs. Last 3 games have been really hard to watch, we got the 49ers this week so im not too worried about the refs against us in this game. My conspiracy theory is that the NFL wants the Rams to win the division.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
ZagHawk":2estrjrl said:

Saw the opposite when they called the BS PI on Max. Max just rolled his eyes and walked away. Thought that was pretty telling.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
rcaido":3s9ql3gr said:
Sounds like profile officiating to me...Can us fans start kneeling for these dumb refs. Last 3 games have been really hard to watch, we got the 49ers this week so im not too worried about the refs against us in this game. My conspiracy theory is that the NFL wants the Rams to win the division.

The second I actually believe the NFL is rigging this game via officiating is the second I stop watching the NFL. So I refuse to believe in that conspiracy theory

rcaido

Reaction score
ZagHawk":tengs4o6 said:
rcaido":tengs4o6 said:

The second I actually believe the NFL is rigging this game via officiating is the second I stop watching the NFL. So I refuse to believe in that conspiracy theory

Superbowl XL

ZagHawk

Reaction score
rcaido":12c3xdjw said:
ZagHawk":12c3xdjw said:
rcaido":12c3xdjw said:

Superbowl XL

I saw so many other parts of that game within Seahawks control that they could have won that game. If you really think the league determines the winnners why even watch?

daveyoung52

Reaction score
rcaido":3mh99tau said:
Sounds pretty damn reasonable to me.

daveyoung52

Reaction score
The recievers hands are held down so he[Paul Richardson]can't catch the ball in the redzone and its not pass interference,is the NFL trying to develop a technique where the reciever snags the ball with his facemask.Total BS.

chris98251

Reaction score
We have a reputation everyone was ok with when it was winning, we are Raider like we said, well Raider like is with penalties, now were not winning yet we still have the penalties,.

Holmgren was all about no penalties and stupid mistakes, that vanilla personality approach was boring when we were not on top.

Both ways have won.

I still like the NASTY defense approach and a few aggressive penalties don't bother me when it's setting the tone, but you also have to be situationally aware.

Since officials rotate every game it would be hard to say the officials hate us, some may some may be fans, the NFL and league office is another story.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hendo66":2p5dy82e said:
Not ignoring the undisciplined play all year but this team gets constantly flagged on calls that could / should be left alone.

On the other hand opponents do get to play through on tons of borderline calls and seam to always skate on Offensive
holding among others.

What gives?
Referees are there to Preside, NOT Decide.
I hate it when Officiating goes dark on calling games EVENLY.
It's NEVER that one sided in fairly officiated games.... NEVER.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
daveyoung52":26zc9e7m said:
rcaido":26zc9e7m said:
Yep, the League see's this as the Rams Homecoming to LA Season...It's a wonderful story, and is more than a reasonable assumption.

potatohead

Reaction score
scutterhawk":1u4lgg3k said:
daveyoung52":1u4lgg3k said:
rcaido":1u4lgg3k said:
Yep, the League see's this as the Rams Homecoming to LA Season...It's a wonderful story, and is more than a reasonable assumption.

Yeah cool so they can have a packed house of 32,000 for that LA home playoff game.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
As they have been, the Hawks are a very good but very undisciplined team, both on and off the field. It’s part of Carroll’s philosophy and has been discussed as nauseaum at this point.

Other contributing factors:

*Untalented Olineman get beat more which leads to more holding.

*Wilson’s improvisational style of play leads to more offensive holding (his line can’t see him, so when he reroutes into a direction outside the play design even the best lineman can get grabby (why there’s not more holding on designed rollouts, but it shows up more for everyone on broken plays or when QBs are escaping pressure laterally).

*A couple players who just get penalized a lot (e.g. Ifedi, Bennett on offsides).

*Garden variety cognitive bias, which affects fans of all teams.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
potatohead":21egite7 said:
scutterhawk":21egite7 said:
daveyoung52":21egite7 said:
rcaido":21egite7 said:

Yeah cool so they can have a packed house of 32,000 for that LA home playoff game.

Bullshit Spud, Prince Charming stories have NOTHING to do with Officiating not showing BIAS, it happens all the time.
Throwing Lane out of a game for a 'Phantom Punch', and toasting the Seahawks for 15 yards for IT DIDN'T HAPPEN PLAY, is just ONE example of preconceived bias.
Lockett got speared in the head last night and NO FLAG, and later in the game, Earl Thomas is nailed for tackling with his shoulder, NOT HIS HELMET, making incidental contact, and the penalty flag comes out, giving the Falcons fantastic field position....is ANOTHER example of BIAS by the Officials.