Seriously, what's with all the Dak Prescott love?

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":ic5pmgxc said:
5_Golden_Rings":ic5pmgxc said:
:mrgreen:
Steve Young would be correct comparison straight up. Statistically they mirror each other except for the fact Wilson is better statistically.

Here's where I disagree. The game is different. Look at standard deviation for a true comparison. Every QB in the league has better stats than most QBs of the 90s. Young led the NFL in passer rating 6 times in 7 years. No one else has ever come close to that. This last season 6 guys had passer ratings of over 100. But from 1991 to 1997, a total of SEVEN QBs with more than 200 attempts had passer ratings over 100, and Steve Young had FIVE of those. 7 years, only 7 100+ QB ratings, five of which went to one guy. Wilson might have better career numbers, but compared to the era in which they play, Young was a god among men.

But when I say he's a lot like Steve Young, I mean the way he plays in the pocket and throws on rhythm, and his straight line running.

Steve Young would be the correct comparison straight up. Statistically they mirror each other except for the fact Wilson is better statistically year by year and is a far better scrambler and runner because he knows how to protect himself unlike Young. Young was more of an athlete like Keapernick. Fran was more of a pure scrambler with no direct comparison.
I don't know. Young took choppy little steps like Wilson does. He wasn't a long strider. He had those shorter legs and lower center of gravity.
You do have a good point about the rules but if you compare the two side by side Wilson is the only quarterback that matches or outdoes Steve Young statistically and there is nobody else that comes near. Not even Cam Newton your MVP of nothing.

I agree. I've made the Wilson/Steve Young comparison before and to me the only difference between their styles of play is what Wilson does behind the line of scrimmage. Young didn't do as much of that except really early in his career. Every comparison is flawed, but when I look at today's QBs, Wilson reminds me the most of Young. Statistically Rodgers is up there in terms of efficiency, and he is mobile too, but when I watch him he doesn't really remind me of Young. Wilson is the closest thing to him that I've seen.

I shouldn't say this but I am a San Francisco native and loved the Steve Young 49er's. He was special.

He was made of glass though. Some of it was his own stupidity, but much of it was just his body being frail I guess (relatively speaking).

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":uxk0lo9t said:
MizzouHawkGal":uxk0lo9t said:
5_Golden_Rings":uxk0lo9t said:
:mrgreen:
Steve Young would be correct comparison straight up. Statistically they mirror each other except for the fact Wilson is better statistically.

Here's where I disagree. The game is different. Look at standard deviation for a true comparison. Every QB in the league has better stats than most QBs of the 90s. Young led the NFL in passer rating 6 times in 7 years. No one else has ever come close to that. This last season 6 guys had passer ratings of over 100. But from 1991 to 1997, a total of SEVEN QBs with more than 200 attempts had passer ratings over 100, and Steve Young had FIVE of those. 7 years, only 7 100+ QB ratings, five of which went to one guy. Wilson might have better career numbers, but compared to the era in which they play, Young was a god among men.

But when I say he's a lot like Steve Young, I mean the way he plays in the pocket and throws on rhythm, and his straight line running.

Steve Young would be the correct comparison straight up. Statistically they mirror each other except for the fact Wilson is better statistically year by year and is a far better scrambler and runner because he knows how to protect himself unlike Young. Young was more of an athlete like Keapernick. Fran was more of a pure scrambler with no direct comparison.
I don't know. Young took choppy little steps like Wilson does. He wasn't a long strider. He had those shorter legs and lower center of gravity.
You do have a good point about the rules but if you compare the two side by side Wilson is the only quarterback that matches or outdoes Steve Young statistically and there is nobody else that comes near. Not even Cam Newton your MVP of nothing.

I agree. I've made the Wilson/Steve Young comparison before and to me the only difference between their styles of play is what Wilson does behind the line of scrimmage. Young didn't do as much of that except really early in his career. Every comparison is flawed, but when I look at today's QBs, Wilson reminds me the most of Young. Statistically Rodgers is up there in terms of efficiency, and he is mobile too, but when I watch him he doesn't really remind me of Young. Wilson is the closest thing to him that I've seen.
Young was better in the pocket because he was tall but Wilson is closing the gap fast and is far better at improvisation like Tarkenton.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":3ajfrvr8 said:
Young was better in the pocket because he was tall but Wilson is closing the gap fast and is far better at improvisation like Tarkenton.

What I mean by "behind the line of scrimmage" is on the scramble drill. When Wilson sits in the pocket and throws in rhythm, other than his run style that is when he reminds me the most of Young. Very precise. But Wilson's running backwards and spinning and still somehow coming out on top is when he looks less like Young and more like Houdini to me (although Young did some of that when he backed up Montana). It's his three step drops and his in rhythm throws that remind me of Young, along with his straight line running.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":2r6q9r7x said:
MizzouHawkGal":2r6q9r7x said:

What I mean by "behind the line of scrimmage" is on the scramble drill. When Wilson sits in the pocket and throws in rhythm, other than his run style that is when he reminds me the most of Young. Very precise. But Wilson's running backwards and spinning and still somehow coming out on top is when he looks less like Young and more like Houdini to me (although Young did some of that when he backed up Montana). It's his three step drops and his in rhythm throws that remind me of Young, along with his straight line running.
Agreed. But I always felt Young would bolt forward like Keapernick and run whereas Wilson would go backwards and scramble like Tarkenton.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
I actually saw Fran play some up to the day the Hawks put an end to him.The guy ran like nobody I have seen and I mean a 100yards back/foward then side to side all in same play,you just cannot compare his era of QB head hunters.It was a mean nasty game and you was lucky to last long running but he did somehow.To be on topic I'm not giving Dak a damn thing until he proves it in season and even then he has a great line with a crop of rb's/wr's to boot.The comparison of him to RW is moot when you understand he did not have that line or wr's,just the D/rb(1) I don't get why people fail to see the whole picture.You have to put Russ on this years Cowboy team in 2012 to get any answers.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
I watched a bit of the Broncos-Rams game yesterday and they put up a graphic comparing 4 or 5 of the rookie QBs. Statistically, Prescott is way ahead of the others. In a game that saw the number 1 pick look like an UDFA, and the number 26 pick on his way to backing up the Broncos 7th rounder from last year (pick 250), there's a few reasons people are mentioning Dak in an "oh wow" kind of way:

1. He was the 8th QB taken, he's outperforming the other 7, and many fans and media peeps are still infatuated with where a player went in the draft.

2. The capital given up for the first two QBs means more attention, pressure, and scrutiny. When they don't look as NFL-ready as the 135th pick, folks take notice and some make too much of it.

3. He looks more poised in the pocket than some of those other, taller, QBs. Going into the draft, that was thought to be a weakness. According to this Walter Football scouting report,
Prescott is playing in the same offense for Tebow's former offensive coordinator, Dan Mullen... Like Tebow, Prescott needs to improve his pocket passing and accuracy for the NFL.
So if his floor was considered to be "Tim Tebow," he has already surpassed a lot of expectations, in terms of throwing and awareness.

4. The Cowboys haven't had a young, promising QB since... Tony Romo? This is the team that counted on school teacher Jon Kitna not too long ago. So anyone with a star on his helmet who looks competent – even for a quarter or two in the preseason – is going to turn some heads.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":3kza59ti said:
MizzouHawkGal":3kza59ti said:
5_Golden_Rings":3kza59ti said:
Maulbert":3kza59ti said:
I get the NFL. They have to hype the Cowbutts. But why are people on here treating him like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson rolled into one? It's the PRESEASON. He's a 4th round rookie. I'm not arguing he won't be good, but people seem to forget, Wilson's rise from 3rd rounder to top 5 QB is the exception, not the rule, and people weren't as high on Wilson when he steamrolled the Chiefs in the 3rd preseason game of 2012 as they are on Prescott right now, and Prescott's statline pales compared to Wilson that year. So what gives people?
People forget the reason he fell to round four was behavior issues.

Also

Prescott in three games: 78%, 9.1 yards/attempt, 5 to 0 int, 137.8 passer rating.

Wilson 2012 preseason in four games.: 63.5%, 8.5 yards/attempt, 5 to 1 int, 110.3 passer rating.

You actually have it in reverse: 2012 Wilson rookie preseason pales in comparison to Prescott rookie preseason. So that's probably why. Either way I agree that Wilson is probably going to be better when they both retire, but Prescott is not going to suck.
And this is a perfect example of why pure statistics are useless. The eye test tells a very different story and conclusion.
Yeah, NOW, but in the 2012 preseason? Also, Prescott's game against arguably the best defense in the league is not a fair gauge to "eye test." He looked decent against Seattle. He looked really freaking good against St. Louis' and Miami's first string, though.

Anyway, I just now rewatched those 2012 preseason games and Wilson looked good, not great, just like you claim Prescott did. Wilson's first two drives were in the 2nd half against 2nd/3rd stringers of a bad Titans defense (32nd in points in 2012, 27th in yards). One of his first passes was nearly intercepted. The first ended in a touchdown pass caught by a tall Braylen Edwards. Other than that one deep pass which Edwards had to slow down for, the rest was dink and dunk in that first game. The second drive ended in a run short of the first down. Prescott was throwing on average further down the field, and still completing them, and had two fades on his first drive. He ended his first drive against he 1st string of a good Rams defense with a touchdown. He ended his second drive against that same 1st string defense the same way. They weren't stopped until penalties gave them a 2nd and 34, and on 3rd and 26 Prescott ran for most of it before sliding, moving them into fg range.

So, looking at their first games, they looked about the same (both looked very good), but Prescott played better by the eye test because his throws were more often medium range throws and from the pocket and against the first string of a good defense, while Wilson did far more dinking and dunking, with the exception of that one deep throw, against the backups of a bad defense.

Wilson's 2nd game was again against the backups, as he once again came off the bench. He started off looking uncomfortable in the pocket again, but after about 7 or 8 plays he finally threw a down field pass over the middle. He seemed to gain some confidence then, as he launched a deeper pass on the next throw, but it was slightly overthrown and the defender had over the top leverage. He then showed the one thing he was elite at right from the beginning, and ran for a first down after eluding a defender. Seattle scored on a hand off shortly after. The next drive Wilson continued to show a reluctance to stay in the pocket and throw the ball down the field, but his physical gifts were too great for that to matter, as he just ran for first downs after deciding not to throw from the pocket. Unfortunately that also got him sacked on the drive. The drive then ended in a punt. The next drive had a crossing route completed but thrown behind, followed by a Wilson scramble play after he once again decided to not step up in the pocket that resulted in an incompletion. At this point it was the 4th quarter and I wasn't going to watch him play against people who aren't in the NFL anymore.

Prescott's second game he came in after one drive and started right where he left off. Near his own end zone, he promptly completes a 20 yard pass. His next pass is another down the field completion for a first down. He then proceeds to throw a 28 yard bomb off his back foot with for a touchdown. He then starts his next drive with an on the money post. The drive finished with another down the field touchdown pass, but it was called back. So he then ran 20 yards in for the touchdown. After half time he launches a 50 yard bomb to set up another touchdown pass on a fade. He caps it with another td run.

Wilson's third game was against the Chiefs (who would have the 25th ranked defense in points allowed). This time he started, rather than coming in after half time. His first pass was a high comeback into double coverage, but the WR made the play. His next pass was another comeback/curl, on target for a first down. Overthrew his TE in the seam on the next pass. He scrambled away on the next one and threw to the flat for a first down. Another short pass picked up a couple yards. On third and long he overthrew everyone and they kicked a fg.
Next drive started with a run and then a defensive pass interference. Later that drive saw his best pass of the preseason: a streak to Edwards, which was thrown high and outside so the WR could go snatch it. Another incompletion was then followed by a sack on third and long after Wilson left the pocket.
Next drive Wilson picks up a long run on third and long as KC didn't spy him and left the middle wide open. No one came close to him for some thirty yards before he ran out of bounds. Third and long and Wilson is again sacked as the Chiefs blitzed. 9-0 Seattle at this point.
Next drive Wilson does what he does: he evades pressure on 1st down and picks up some thirty yards on a scramble after making one man miss behind the line and another near the line of scrimmage. Wilson then throws a touchdown on a corner route, but to be honest the pass was needlessly high arching. Maybe he wanted it to be very catcheable because the defender was ridiculously beaten (the WR was open by almost ten yards).
Next drive started with an outside deep pass that was too far to the inside and fell incomplete. On third and long Wilson throws a contested ball that falls incomplete, but he is hit late so there is a 15 yard penalty and the drive is extended. On first down he throws a risky ball over the middle to the tight end that the defender misses his swat on, and a big first down is obtained. On 2nd and fifteen, Wilson then throws behind over the middle near the sticks and the ball hits the ground. Third and 15 Wilson throws well short of the marker, but #85 hurdles over a pathetic tackle attempt and runs some 20 yards down the field. WIlson then once again misses a throw over the middle, this time over throwing it. However, he is once again hit late, so another roughing the passer penalty gives them a first down. Wilson then tries a throw over the middle one more time, but this time he throws an absolute perfect pass, and it's a touchdown. 23-7 Seattle.
After half time WIlson throws a pass that's nearly picked, but it turns out the defender got their too early, so it's Pass Interference and a first down. After a scramble and a two yard pass, Seattle runs it and the RB Turbin rumbles some 25 yards for a touchdown. 30-7 Seattle.
Next drive Wilson throws deep to Terrell Owens, who catches it by contorting his body and sliding because the pass was slightly under thrown (how did Owens not make the roster? He looked pretty good to me). Drive ends after an incompletion intended for Edwards, and Seattle misses a FG. 30-7 Seattle.
Next Chiefs possession ends with a defensive touchdown. 37-7 Seattle.
Seattle then takes a punt to the house. 44-7 Seattle.
Wilson doesn't play after that.

Prescott's third game you all watched. He came off the bench against Seattle's #1's (first or second best defense in the league) and promptly converted a third and long from the pocket after going through his progressions. Seattle then shut it down after Beasley dropped the third and long pass that was a bit high.
Next drive he marches the team down the field for a score. The touchdown was a little low, but he trusted his man to come down with it (like Wilson's first TD pass to Edwards in his first preseason game).
His next drive he led the team to a fg attempt, which was missed.
His third drive in the two minute drill he marched the team down the field to score a fg. I believe on three throws he took a shot to the chest and still delivered the football to the WR against a very good Seahawks defense, including one on 2nd and 13 that traveled about 20 yards through the air, with a guy in his face, which moved the chains. Shortly after that, from an empty set I saw him go through about three reads before coming all the way across the field to Beasley in the flat for a first down. He then might have had a touchdown to Beasley on a post if not for an obvious defensive penalty. A holding penalty killed their drive and they simply ran out of time, but they were close enough for a FG. All told it was a pretty good half considering it was Seattle they were playing.

After half time a good throw was broken up by a better defensive play, and on third down I saw a rare moment when Prescott didn't sense the pressure until he was forced to throw the ball into the dirt. Wilson then did the Houdini crap that he does and Seattle put the game away. The rest of the game Seattle was pretty much jailbreak rushing to him.

At this point Prescott looks like a very, VERY talented rookie with worlds of potential. As of his 2nd game I saw all of 3 bad passes, and the vast majority of the rest were down the field darts (12-20+ yards). Wilson by game three also looked pretty good for a rookie, but significantly less comfortable in the pocket, and less willing to throw down the field except on the outside.

Based ONLY on the first three preseason games, I would pick Prescott, because he threw the ball in more places (Wilson consisted of dink and dunks and outside deep passes, while Prescott threw more medium range passes all over the field), because Wilson played cream puff defenses by comparison (the Chiefs and 2nd/3rd stringers don't compare to Seattle's and St. Louis first string defense), and because Prescott was more willing to throw from the pocket. Wilson looked like a good game manager with an uncanny ability to scramble for yards in those first three games, while Prescott has looked like a legitimate pocket passer who can run when needed.

Granted, hindsight is 20/20, and we now know that Wilson has completely remedied his weakness, and for the most part has become a competent pocket passer and electrifying scrambler. But based on those three games, Prescott has better numbers because he played better.

I'll cut through all the crap and get to the point.
He threw for only ONE TD, and he threw it right to our linebacker that doesn't know how to catch, and Witten snatched it from him. If it wasn't for that misplay by Wright, Dallas scores 3 points while Dak is in the game.

The other 2 games were against a weak Miami team, and a Rams team that didn't play most of their all world talent on defense (Donald and Quinn for example).

Largent80

Reaction score
He has an O-Line with 3 pro bowlers on it. Pretty easy to look good behind a stone wall in a practice game.

sc85sis

Reaction score
5_Golden_Rings":1f7bpjvu said:
MizzouHawkGal":1f7bpjvu said:
5_Golden_Rings":1f7bpjvu said:
Maulbert":1f7bpjvu said:
I get the NFL. They have to hype the Cowbutts. But why are people on here treating him like Andrew Luck and Russell Wilson rolled into one? It's the PRESEASON. He's a 4th round rookie. I'm not arguing he won't be good, but people seem to forget, Wilson's rise from 3rd rounder to top 5 QB is the exception, not the rule, and people weren't as high on Wilson when he steamrolled the Chiefs in the 3rd preseason game of 2012 as they are on Prescott right now, and Prescott's statline pales compared to Wilson that year. So what gives people?
People forget the reason he fell to round four was behavior issues.

Also

Prescott in three games: 78%, 9.1 yards/attempt, 5 to 0 int, 137.8 passer rating.

Wilson 2012 preseason in four games.: 63.5%, 8.5 yards/attempt, 5 to 1 int, 110.3 passer rating.

You actually have it in reverse: 2012 Wilson rookie preseason pales in comparison to Prescott rookie preseason. So that's probably why. Either way I agree that Wilson is probably going to be better when they both retire, but Prescott is not going to suck.
And this is a perfect example of why pure statistics are useless. The eye test tells a very different story and conclusion.
Yeah, NOW, but in the 2012 preseason? Also, Prescott's game against arguably the best defense in the league is not a fair gauge to "eye test." He looked decent against Seattle. He looked really freaking good against St. Louis' and Miami's first string, though.

Anyway, I just now rewatched those 2012 preseason games and Wilson looked good, not great, just like you claim Prescott did. Wilson's first two drives were in the 2nd half against 2nd/3rd stringers of a bad Titans defense (32nd in points in 2012, 27th in yards). One of his first passes was nearly intercepted. The first ended in a touchdown pass caught by a tall Braylen Edwards. Other than that one deep pass which Edwards had to slow down for, the rest was dink and dunk in that first game. The second drive ended in a run short of the first down. Prescott was throwing on average further down the field, and still completing them, and had two fades on his first drive. He ended his first drive against he 1st string of a good Rams defense with a touchdown. He ended his second drive against that same 1st string defense the same way. They weren't stopped until penalties gave them a 2nd and 34, and on 3rd and 26 Prescott ran for most of it before sliding, moving them into fg range.

So, looking at their first games, they looked about the same (both looked very good), but Prescott played better by the eye test because his throws were more often medium range throws and from the pocket and against the first string of a good defense, while Wilson did far more dinking and dunking, with the exception of that one deep throw, against the backups of a bad defense.

Wilson's 2nd game was again against the backups, as he once again came off the bench. He started off looking uncomfortable in the pocket again, but after about 7 or 8 plays he finally threw a down field pass over the middle. He seemed to gain some confidence then, as he launched a deeper pass on the next throw, but it was slightly overthrown and the defender had over the top leverage. He then showed the one thing he was elite at right from the beginning, and ran for a first down after eluding a defender. Seattle scored on a hand off shortly after. The next drive Wilson continued to show a reluctance to stay in the pocket and throw the ball down the field, but his physical gifts were too great for that to matter, as he just ran for first downs after deciding not to throw from the pocket. Unfortunately that also got him sacked on the drive. The drive then ended in a punt. The next drive had a crossing route completed but thrown behind, followed by a Wilson scramble play after he once again decided to not step up in the pocket that resulted in an incompletion. At this point it was the 4th quarter and I wasn't going to watch him play against people who aren't in the NFL anymore.

Prescott's second game he came in after one drive and started right where he left off. Near his own end zone, he promptly completes a 20 yard pass. His next pass is another down the field completion for a first down. He then proceeds to throw a 28 yard bomb off his back foot with for a touchdown. He then starts his next drive with an on the money post. The drive finished with another down the field touchdown pass, but it was called back. So he then ran 20 yards in for the touchdown. After half time he launches a 50 yard bomb to set up another touchdown pass on a fade. He caps it with another td run.

Wilson's third game was against the Chiefs (who would have the 25th ranked defense in points allowed). This time he started, rather than coming in after half time. His first pass was a high comeback into double coverage, but the WR made the play. His next pass was another comeback/curl, on target for a first down. Overthrew his TE in the seam on the next pass. He scrambled away on the next one and threw to the flat for a first down. Another short pass picked up a couple yards. On third and long he overthrew everyone and they kicked a fg.
Next drive started with a run and then a defensive pass interference. Later that drive saw his best pass of the preseason: a streak to Edwards, which was thrown high and outside so the WR could go snatch it. Another incompletion was then followed by a sack on third and long after Wilson left the pocket.
Next drive Wilson picks up a long run on third and long as KC didn't spy him and left the middle wide open. No one came close to him for some thirty yards before he ran out of bounds. Third and long and Wilson is again sacked as the Chiefs blitzed. 9-0 Seattle at this point.
Next drive Wilson does what he does: he evades pressure on 1st down and picks up some thirty yards on a scramble after making one man miss behind the line and another near the line of scrimmage. Wilson then throws a touchdown on a corner route, but to be honest the pass was needlessly high arching. Maybe he wanted it to be very catcheable because the defender was ridiculously beaten (the WR was open by almost ten yards).
Next drive started with an outside deep pass that was too far to the inside and fell incomplete. On third and long Wilson throws a contested ball that falls incomplete, but he is hit late so there is a 15 yard penalty and the drive is extended. On first down he throws a risky ball over the middle to the tight end that the defender misses his swat on, and a big first down is obtained. On 2nd and fifteen, Wilson then throws behind over the middle near the sticks and the ball hits the ground. Third and 15 Wilson throws well short of the marker, but #85 hurdles over a pathetic tackle attempt and runs some 20 yards down the field. WIlson then once again misses a throw over the middle, this time over throwing it. However, he is once again hit late, so another roughing the passer penalty gives them a first down. Wilson then tries a throw over the middle one more time, but this time he throws an absolute perfect pass, and it's a touchdown. 23-7 Seattle.
After half time WIlson throws a pass that's nearly picked, but it turns out the defender got their too early, so it's Pass Interference and a first down. After a scramble and a two yard pass, Seattle runs it and the RB Turbin rumbles some 25 yards for a touchdown. 30-7 Seattle.
Next drive Wilson throws deep to Terrell Owens, who catches it by contorting his body and sliding because the pass was slightly under thrown (how did Owens not make the roster? He looked pretty good to me). Drive ends after an incompletion intended for Edwards, and Seattle misses a FG. 30-7 Seattle.
Next Chiefs possession ends with a defensive touchdown. 37-7 Seattle.
Seattle then takes a punt to the house. 44-7 Seattle.
Wilson doesn't play after that.

Prescott's third game you all watched. He came off the bench against Seattle's #1's (first or second best defense in the league) and promptly converted a third and long from the pocket after going through his progressions. Seattle then shut it down after Beasley dropped the third and long pass that was a bit high.
Next drive he marches the team down the field for a score. The touchdown was a little low, but he trusted his man to come down with it (like Wilson's first TD pass to Edwards in his first preseason game).
His next drive he led the team to a fg attempt, which was missed.
His third drive in the two minute drill he marched the team down the field to score a fg. I believe on three throws he took a shot to the chest and still delivered the football to the WR against a very good Seahawks defense, including one on 2nd and 13 that traveled about 20 yards through the air, with a guy in his face, which moved the chains. Shortly after that, from an empty set I saw him go through about three reads before coming all the way across the field to Beasley in the flat for a first down. He then might have had a touchdown to Beasley on a post if not for an obvious defensive penalty. A holding penalty killed their drive and they simply ran out of time, but they were close enough for a FG. All told it was a pretty good half considering it was Seattle they were playing.

After half time a good throw was broken up by a better defensive play, and on third down I saw a rare moment when Prescott didn't sense the pressure until he was forced to throw the ball into the dirt. Wilson then did the Houdini crap that he does and Seattle put the game away. The rest of the game Seattle was pretty much jailbreak rushing to him.

At this point Prescott looks like a very, VERY talented rookie with worlds of potential. As of his 2nd game I saw all of 3 bad passes, and the vast majority of the rest were down the field darts (12-20+ yards). Wilson by game three also looked pretty good for a rookie, but significantly less comfortable in the pocket, and less willing to throw down the field except on the outside.

Based ONLY on the first three preseason games, I would pick Prescott, because he threw the ball in more places (Wilson consisted of dink and dunks and outside deep passes, while Prescott threw more medium range passes all over the field), because Wilson played cream puff defenses by comparison (the Chiefs and 2nd/3rd stringers don't compare to Seattle's and St. Louis first string defense), and because Prescott was more willing to throw from the pocket. Wilson looked like a good game manager with an uncanny ability to scramble for yards in those first three games, while Prescott has looked like a legitimate pocket passer who can run when needed.

Granted, hindsight is 20/20, and we now know that Wilson has completely remedied his weakness, and for the most part has become a competent pocket passer and electrifying scrambler. But based on those three games, Prescott has better numbers because he played better.
There is no way to compare Wilson's first preseason vs. Dak's. Different teams, different O lines, etc. Wilson had the better defense to help him (though not yet at the level they were his second year). Dak has a far superior O line to anything Russ has had in Seattle.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
Part of the responsibilities of any QB in any system is to manage the game. Thus being a "game manager". Tell me that Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers couldn't be considered as game managers. Yes, they also have special abilities that helped go beyond game managing. Russell has done that as well. Russell has innate scrambling ability and accuracy to thrown on the run better than the rest. That sets him apart. In fact he's better than Brady and Manning in this aspect. RW needs to work on his pocket presence. But if he's so good at throwing on the run, it's not as important. When he has time in the pocket, he does just fine as shown in the last half of last season.

Dak has shown some of this ability in preseason. So he seems to be on the right track. We'll see how it translates once the regular season starts.

chris98251

Reaction score
[youtube]EsK5neFCWKs[/youtube]

[youtube]Nq_IHoLNV0g[/youtube]

I see a shit load of Tarkenton in Wilson, even the moves he naturally uses. Spent most of my young life watching him be the Houdini against some of the most feared men on defense in football, remember the Vikings never had a real dominant run game, they had a very good receiving RB in Chuck Foreman, their passing game and defense much like us were the benchmarks of their teams.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
hawkfan68":lu9mzvez said:
Part of the responsibilities of any QB in any system is to manage the game. Thus being a "game manager". Tell me that Tom Brady, Drew Brees, Peyton Manning, and Aaron Rodgers couldn't be considered as game managers. Yes, they also have special abilities that helped go beyond game managing. Russell has done that as well. Russell has innate scrambling ability and accuracy to thrown on the run better than the rest. That sets him apart. In fact he's better than Brady and Manning in this aspect. RW needs to work on his pocket presence. But if he's so good at throwing on the run, it's not as important. When he has time in the pocket, he does just fine as shown in the last half of last season.

Dak has shown some of this ability in preseason. So he seems to be on the right track. We'll see how it translates once the regular season starts.

If it was me, I would probably change the term to Time manager. Just a preference of mine. Game management is the coach's job. Just a thought. Just a fan.

Go hawks

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Just to go back to pretending that this thread was ever about Prescott, let's talk about him in an acceptable way:

Purely hypothetically, if Prescott starts the season hot and Wilson starts the season cold what will be the "reasons" that some folks here can't stand Prescott?

That it doesn't count because of his line and run game?

That he's "cocky", celebrates "too much" or some other ad hoc character flaw?

That he's good but got arrested which is fine for everyone else but a "problem" for just and only the QB position?

That he's getting "too much" attention because of the ever shifting NFL media conspiracy?

Something else?

;)

OP
OP
Maulbert

Maulbert

Reaction score
Popeyejones":va98a0u1 said:
Just to go back to pretending that this thread was ever about Prescott, let's talk about him in an acceptable way:

Purely hypothetically, if Prescott starts the season hot and Wilson starts the season cold what will be the "reasons" that some folks here can't stand Prescott?

That he's good but got arrested which is fine for everyone else but a "problem" for just and only the QB position?

That he's getting "too much" attention because of the ever shifting NFL media conspiracy?

Something else?

;)

This thread WAS about Prescott. The only reason I made the Wilson comparison is because they have both played great preseasons in their rookie years, and I was saying Wilson's breakout was the exception, not the rule. Also didn't say Prescott wasn't going to be good, I just see a lot of ballwashing for a guy who hasn't played in a meaningful game yet. Hell, kearly said he was one of the most promising rookies in years. I just wanted to get a handle on the hyperbole.

dogorama

Reaction score
chris98251":23pshf1v said:
[youtube]EsK5neFCWKs[/youtube]

[youtube]Nq_IHoLNV0g[/youtube]

I see a shit load of Tarkenton in Wilson, even the moves he naturally uses. Spent most of my young life watching him be the Houdini against some of the most feared men on defense in football, remember the Vikings never had a real dominant run game, they had a very good receiving RB in Chuck Foreman, their passing game and defense much like us were the benchmarks of their teams.

That's really fun to watch that. Two peas-in-a-pod.

Laloosh

Reaction score
Popeyejones":2tbpzoqg said:

Something else?

;)

Slow day at the office?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":253o2nbc said:
Popeyejones":253o2nbc said:

Something else?

;)

Slow day at the office?
Day off. 8)

drdiags

Reaction score
As a neutral observer of the NFL, I like what I see in Prescott. Sure, he is a rookie and has to deal with the Pro game, but Big Ben was not a dynamo his rookie year. The guy seems to have the intangibles to make it in the league. Tony Romo was an UDFA if I remember correctly. Given a system that allows him to learn and grow in this league, I think Dak can be a competent QB.

Yeah, I wish the desire to compare to Wilson any young QB coming into the league was left out of these type of threads but it is how folks want to setup their projections. I think Dak can follow the same path Derek Carr has set. He may need to reconsider not sliding when taking the option on the read-option play.

I'm sure Cowboys fans are just as pumped as Seahawks fans were when they saw the potential Wilson had. Just like those fans, if Dak starts slow, the same fans will be pining for someone like a Matt Flynn-type to replace him before their season is lost. Fans are the best.

kearly

Reaction score
Any reason he shouldn't be getting love? The guy has been pretty remarkable.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
hawkfan68":27baquy1 said:

Being a game manager isn't just one of the responsibilities of a quarterback. It's by far the most important one.

Sports Hernia":27baquy1 said:
I'll cut through all the crap and get to the point.
He threw for only ONE TD, and he threw it right to our linebacker that doesn't know how to catch, and Witten snatched it from him. If it wasn't for that misplay by Wright, Dallas scores 3 points while Dak is in the game.

The other 2 games were against a weak Miami team, and a Rams team that didn't play most of their all world talent on defense (Donald and Quinn for example).
Please man. Prescott has had an extremely irregular preseason so far and you know it. No one plays against all the starters in the preseason, but that's still not the same as taking over at half time. Wilson is clearly a great QB, but you look very disingenuous if you claim Prescott hasn't looked good this preseason. And the original question I responded to was that in Wilson's ROOKIE season he played better than Prescott in the preseason. No he didn't, and for the first two games he played against 3rd stringers after half time, so even then it's ludicrous to say Prescott played worse in his first three preseason games.

That may have absolutely zero bearing on Prescott's career trajectory when the games count. But that wasn't the claim I was addressing. I was addressing the specific claim that Prescott's preseason numbers his rookie year paled in comparison to Wilson's, which not only is demonstrably false (I demonstrated exactly that), but it's ludicrous given that half of Wilson's games were after half time that year. Again, it may have no bearing on how Prescott will be. That wasn't the claim I was responding to.

EDIT- Just so there is no confusion. I am NOT saying Prescott is as good as Wilson (lmao at that thought). I am NOT saying Prescott WILL be as good as Wilson (there is no way to know). What I am saying is that Prescott's numbers were better than Wilson's were in Wilson's first three preseason games, and they were better because Prescott played better in his first three.