Sherman badly burned - looks like he lost about 4 steps

Smellyman

Reaction score
2_0_6":1fu4194a said:
Sherms gonna quickly understand how different things are with no Earl behind him

I don't know about that. Sherm's forte was playing the deep sideline pass better than anybody in the league. He rarely needed help from Earl. Also, if Earl leaves Earl will learn it's harder playing center not having to worry about Sherm's side.

Smellyman

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2aonm8gm said:
He’s coming off a ruptured Achilles and two surgeries on each of his Achilles. There is a reason it is named after Greek mythology. Even the best athletes struggle to return from that injury. It all but ended Kobe Bryant’s basketball career, making him twice as slow. Isiah Thomas was another. Studies have shown that NFL players have an average of 50% less power after Achilles surgery, and 30% never play again.

Really 50% less power? One would think that would mean 100% don't come back not 30%

Reaction score
Apparently he looked really good in the 11 on 11 drills. One on one always favors the WR anyways.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":1p306gi5 said:
He’s coming off a ruptured Achilles and two surgeries on each of his Achilles. There is a reason it is named after Greek mythology. Even the best athletes struggle to return from that injury. It all but ended Kobe Bryant’s basketball career, making him twice as slow. Isiah Thomas was another. Studies have shown that NFL players have an average of 50% less power after Achilles surgery, and 30% never play again.

9ers' orthopedic adviser obviously beg to differ.

2_0_6

Reaction score
Smellyman":1kx2daho said:
2_0_6":1kx2daho said:
Sherms gonna quickly understand how different things are with no Earl behind him

I don't know about that. Sherm's forte was playing the deep sideline pass better than anybody in the league. He rarely needed help from Earl. Also, if Earl leaves Earl will learn it's harder playing center not having to worry about Sherm's side.

We will have to agree to disagree on that. In the times that Earl was out, Sherm got beat badly on a few occasions deep.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I know this is the correct forum but I kind of wish this got the main forum pub. This is hilarious.

Getting beat by 3 step is a big deal... especially when you consider how much of a competitor he is already, and trying to impress a new team.

Sherm is savy and will be in the right position as much as he can, but there is only so much a 30 year old can do after recovering from a major surgery.

I had a surgery at 30 and was never the same, even though I worked to stretch, strengthen, rehab every day for 2 years.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Marvin49":xeuhod4n said:
Also...I'm really wondering what the Seahawks D looks like with no Sherman, Chancellor and possibly no Earl.

It will look different for sure. But if there is one group the Hawks are good at drafting, maybe their best group at evaluating talent.... defensive backs. They have some talent there still.

hawknation2018

Reaction score
Smellyman":3lmm7mic said:
hawknation2018":3lmm7mic said:

Really 50% less power? One would think that would mean 100% don't come back not 30%

That was the finding of the study.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-t ... on-rupture

Uncle Si

Reaction score
adeltaY":1diw5hy5 said:
My lord why are so many of our fans invested I sherman failing? The dude is coming back from an injury that ends careers on the regular. Embarrassing to see the joy evident in some of these posts.

is it?

Because Sherman has been trashing the organization since he left. He was also a disruptive force in his last bit of time hear. There are Seahawks fans here who feel aggrieved by it, as they are welcome to.

I personally could care less, but to be "embarrassed" by some fans who feel burned by the guy celebrating his failure in his new place lacks perspective.

toffee

Reaction score
hawknation2018":2y5syquo said:
Smellyman":2y5syquo said:
hawknation2018":2y5syquo said:

That was the finding of the study.

Furthermore, in the reviewed 21 NFL skill players who returned to play, there were significant decreases in games played per season (11.67 games per year pre-injury versus 6.17 games per year postinjury) when averaged over the three seasons before the injury and the three seasons after the injury.3 There were also decreases averaging nearly 50% in power ratings of the returning players for the three seasons after the injury compared to the three seasons before the injury. These data indicate that even in players able to return to their former level of play, the quality of play may suffer permanently.

http://lermagazine.com/article/return-t ... on-rupture

If the report is correct, three things will happen:

1. teammates, especially the safeties will be criticized,
2. coaches from shanny down will be singled out,
3. media, especially beat writers, might as well start preparing resume for new job.
4. hawk's coaching and management better prepare for the tsunami that will head their way from santa clara.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Uncle Si":atf8fi9n said:
adeltaY":atf8fi9n said:
My lord why are so many of our fans invested I sherman failing? The dude is coming back from an injury that ends careers on the regular. Embarrassing to see the joy evident in some of these posts.

is it?

Because Sherman has been trashing the organization since he left. He was also a disruptive force in his last bit of time hear. There are Seahawks fans here who feel aggrieved by it, as they are welcome to.

I personally could care less, but to be "embarrassed" by some fans who feel burned by the guy celebrating his failure in his new place lacks perspective.

I strongly disagree. He's entitled to his opinion and helped bring a championship to this city. His play in the NFC Champ game is THE iconic play of that playoff run. It was a bad breakup and he mouthed off but that's what I could care less about. Unless a player is a domestic abuser, murderer, vandal, or something along that vein I have no hate in my heart for any of them... Even Blount at this point.

Celebrating a guy getting burned in camp when he's coming back from a serious injury comes off as super salty and lacking class. Are we going to post highlights of when he gets burned during the season? Talking about non seahawks games.

Yall are right about him blaming everyone else for his failure though, see evidence:

Richard Sherman":atf8fi9n said:
He got me” Sherman said of Goodwin’s go-route. “That f***ing Marquise boomed me.” Richard added, “Hes so fast,” repeating it four times. He said he wanted to add Marquise to the list of players he wants to continue working with this summer.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
He is coming off a major injury and some expect him to back like he was in his prime?

He may never get back to where he was before the injury.

I think there are times where he is going to get burned this year, and other times he wil make plays solely on instinct.
Hopefully we are one of the teams that burns him when we play them.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Well, that's a first, him admitting he got beat. Oh well. He's no longer a Hawk. I prefer to concentrate on guys who are actually still on the team. Tear it up against the Cards and Rams Sherm.

Chapow

Reaction score
I love me some Sherm. He's one of my favorite players ever and I hate that his time in Seattle is over. I wish him nothing but the best.

That being said, he looked very slow and stiff in that video compared to what I'm used to seeing from him. Shockingly so IMO. But, that is one single rep in practice. What did his other reps look like?

adeltaY

Reaction score
Chapow":3bqz912k said:
I love me some Sherm. He's one of my favorite players ever and I hate that his time in Seattle is over. I wish him nothing but the best.

That being said, he looked very slow and stiff in that video compared to what I'm used to seeing from him. Shockingly so IMO. But, that is one single rep in practice. What did his other reps look like?

According to a tweet quoted in the Niners subreddit

Cam Inmam":3bqz912k said:
Sherman didn’t let that happen his next rep — when he grabbed Aldrick Robinson coming off the line and held onto jersey like bull rider #8seconds

toffee

Reaction score
adeltaY":3fz09xnb said:
Chapow":3fz09xnb said:

Cam Inmam":3fz09xnb said:
Sherman didn’t let that happen his next rep — when he grabbed Aldrick Robinson coming off the line and held onto jersey like bull rider #8seconds

Time for Shanny and Lynch serious consider handing over their '19 1st round pick and '20 4th round pick for our HOF Earl. Sherm just ain't the same without Earl covering his behind.

2_0_6

Reaction score
adeltaY":1ryell1z said:
Chapow":1ryell1z said:

Cam Inmam":1ryell1z said:

Even though he now plays for the enemy, I respect him too much to wish him ill will. I want him to do well (not great :stirthepot: ) but I just truly hope he doesn't rush himself back too quickly only to be a shell of himself.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
adeltaY":27aavjh0 said:
Uncle Si":27aavjh0 said:
adeltaY":27aavjh0 said:

is it?

I strongly disagree. He's entitled to his opinion and helped bring a championship to this city. His play in the NFC Champ game is THE iconic play of that playoff run. It was a bad breakup and he mouthed off but that's what I could care less about. Unless a player is a domestic abuser, murderer, vandal, or something along that vein I have no hate in my heart for any of them... Even Blount at this point.

Celebrating a guy getting burned in camp when he's coming back from a serious injury comes off as super salty and lacking class. Are we going to post highlights of when he gets burned during the season? Talking about non seahawks games.

Yall are right about him blaming everyone else for his failure though, see evidence:

Richard Sherman":27aavjh0 said:
He got me” Sherman said of Goodwin’s go-route. “That f***ing Marquise boomed me.” Richard added, “Hes so fast,” repeating it four times. He said he wanted to add Marquise to the list of players he wants to continue working with this summer.

Blaming teammates and coaches without holding yourself accountable is also lacking class. Doing it after youve been released is salty.

You can paint the same broad stroke of importance with any fan on here. But don’t be a hypocrite. How is he e turned to his opinion and we are not? Sherman has demonstrated a willingness to continue to disrupt and disrespect his former team. Hero or not, fans have every right to voice their disapproval.

Sherman may one day be welcomed back and remembered for all the good he did for Seattle. Right now he acts like a jilted ex girlfriend who can’t stop talking about how she’s moved on.

Marvin49

Reaction score
toffee":1g8ookl2 said:
adeltaY":1g8ookl2 said:
Chapow":1g8ookl2 said:

Cam Inmam":1g8ookl2 said:

Time for Shanny and Lynch serious consider handing over their '19 1st round pick and '20 4th round pick for our HOF Earl. Sherm just ain't the same without Earl covering his behind.

Couple things there...

1) No way in hell Seattle trades Earl in division and especially not to the 49ers with Sherman.
2) 49ers aren't looking for safeties. They like Colbert and Tartt and if they really felt they needed a guy they'd resign Reid.
3) There is only one guy out there who MIGHT be available for trade that the 49ers should be investigating...and thats Khalil Mack.