Sherman on Jackson

OffseasonChampions

Reaction score
I like Sherman, but why is he pulling the race card? This had nothing to do with race. Any time anything negative is said about a person of color in the media, the "haters" must be "racist".

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
theascension":2gcx6mkw said:
It's terrible the point has to be raised anymore but it still needs to be. I'm glad Sherman is very vocal about the double standard against Jackson (and himself as the 'thug' from NFCC). It's not just in football that everyday racism still needs addressing but everywhere else.
I was reading an article the other day how a woman's Harvard graduate son got stopped several times last year for stop and frisks and he was working on wall street in his business suit.

Well, considering that he works on Wall Street it seems fitting. :escape:

Escamillo

Reaction score
Uncle Si":220pe2ek said:
I would suggest staying away from the "comments" section on this one... its a quick indication of the sadly purveying problems (including reading comprehension) in our society, atleast our society of football fans.

LOL, I read the article and when I got to the bottom, I immediately left the page, because I could readily imagine what's going on in the comments section.

Escamillo

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":hxr5zu2u said:
I like Sherman, but why is he pulling the race card? This had nothing to do with race. Any time anything negative is said about a person of color in the media, the "haters" must be "racist".

Because Sherm calls it like he sees it. Too many are afraid to discuss race for fear of someone accusing them of "pulling race card" or whatever. OK fine, you think race had nothing to do with this. Sherm disagrees. Deal with it.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Sherman didn't address the work ethic part of the article. In my opinion he was addressing the theory that Jackson got cut because of his alleged gang ties. I was one of those people who looked at these situations as pretty clear cut. That these guys had to cut their ties and just walk away once they became famous. The article opened my eyes as to how this is not as simple as that.

Sherman doesn't sugar coat it. He does say that he knows some of these guys do bad things. And that some of them are beyond his help at which time he does have to cut the ties.

OP
OP
Uncle Si

Uncle Si

Reaction score
OffseasonChampions":2p10cezo said:

I think you can figure that one out on your own cant you?

Jackson's release from the Eagles was immediately followed by allegations from that organization over fears of his gang ties. Their was nothing, or atleast not much, said about his work ethic, relationship with the coach or teammates, participation and effort in training.

Jackson was mollified for his ties to gang members (and really, the Eagles are free to do what they want so why bother releasing any of their reasons). Sherman points out the media's attention to this detail and the contrast paid to the Cooper and Irsay issues. any who turned on ESPN the day of his release were inundated with this image of Jackson as the next Hernandez.

Its not the race card per se as much as its illustrating the different perceptions people jump to when athletes get in trouble. And Sherman's right in pointing it out. Noone, not even Sherman, is doubting Jackson has is issues. Hes also defending a person he grew up with and revealing there's more to these situations than what the media settles on. We were made quite aware of the struggles Irsay has with his drugs and alcohol. hell, he was given the chance to sit down and explain what a fun hell raiser he was.

The Eagles can do whatever they want. he knows that. Sherman questioned their rationale, more as a way of indicting the conclusions people jumped to regarding Jackson than anything really to do with the Eagles, Cooper or Irsay.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":24qfxylp said:
OffseasonChampions":24qfxylp said:

Jackson's release from the Eagles was immediately followed by allegations from that organization over fears of his gang ties. Their was nothing, or atleast not much, said about his work ethic, relationship with the coach or teammates, participation and effort in training.

Jackson was mollified for his ties to gang members (and really, the Eagles are free to do what they want so why bother releasing any of their reasons). Sherman points out the media's attention to this detail and the contrast paid to the Cooper and Irsay issues. any who turned on ESPN the day of his release were inundated with this image of Jackson as the next Hernandez.

Its not the race card per se as much as its illustrating the different perceptions people jump to when athletes get in trouble. And Sherman's right in pointing it out. Noone, not even Sherman, is doubting Jackson has is issues. Hes also defending a person he grew up with and revealing there's more to these situations than what the media settles on. We were made quite aware of the struggles Irsay has with his drugs and alcohol. hell, he was given the chance to sit down and explain what a fun hell raiser he was.

The Eagles can do whatever they want. he knows that. Sherman questioned their rationale, more as a way of indicting the conclusions people jumped to regarding Jackson than anything really to do with the Eagles, Cooper or Irsay.
Yep, and how convenient that Chip and the rest of the organization brought this up/leaked it/publicized it right after cutting him when we had never heard anything about it before that. Justifying much Chip?

TJH

Reaction score
Getting really tired of Sherman pulling the race card every 5 minutes.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TJH":1om3vte7 said:

I don't get that impression. Sherman's got a valid point, what's the difference between Jackson and Cooper? The difference is obviously money, but Jackson has the stats to back up his paycheck.

So that leaves one thing, his "thug-like" personality that grates on his coaches.

Don't you think it was an awful big coincidence that the gang rumors got floated out there almost down to the minute of Jackson's release? This reeks of a PR stunt by the Eagles to help sell the release to their fanbase.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
Players and agents are overreacting to the whole "gang ties" idea.

Simply knowing someone who may be involved in gang activity WILL NOT cause a single player to be released from their contract.

However, HANGING OUT with gang members is essentially the same thing as condoning gang activity. I don't think anybody ever hangs out with gangs unless they are ok with the illegal activities.

Even if a player takes part in zero illegal activities, how bad would it look if a player gets arrested in a crack house with murderers and hardcore drug dealers?

A college education (and hopefully pro career) is supposed to help inner-city kids ESCAPE inner-city life. Giving these kids millions upon millions of dollars SHOULD essentially come on the condition that they remove themselves from that lifestyle and end any associations with gang members.

Owners have ever right to release a player or offer less in free agency to someone who associates with gangs. It makes the player less desirable and in a free market that means less $.

In the end, the players and agents are complaining because a free market puts a negative value on gang ties and they don't want to have to choose between money or thugs.

bjornanderson21

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":3td710tm said:
Uncle Si":3td710tm said:
OffseasonChampions":3td710tm said:

Yep, and how convenient that Chip and the rest of the organization brought this up/leaked it/publicized it right after cutting him when we had never heard anything about it before that. Justifying much Chip?

I didn't realize Chip Kelly has the LAPD in his pocket, because the Niners and Raiders were given the info that the LAPD has on the situation.

Did Chip plant it?

TJH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ooewazma said:
TJH":ooewazma said:

I don't get that impression. Sherman's got a valid point, what's the difference between Jackson and Cooper? The difference is obviously money, but Jackson has the stats to back up his paycheck.

So that leaves one thing, his "thug-like" personality that grates on his coaches.

Don't you think it was an awful big coincidence that the gang rumors got floated out there almost down to the minute of Jackson's release? This reeks of a PR stunt by the Eagles to help sell the release to their fanbase.

I don't think it needs to be a coincidence. There's pretty damning evidence including the fact that he has thrown gang signs on the field during a game on national TV. You don't deserve the benifit of the doubt when you do that. There's also many reports that he has terrible work ethic and isn't a good locker room presence. Sometimes people legitimately deserve what they get and everything isn't some big racist conspiracy.

CANHawk

Reaction score
Did we cut Roland because of his gang ties..?

galleryimage-1614625887-feb-16-2012-600x450-300x225.jpg

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TJH":26dpz1kf said:
Sgt. Largent":26dpz1kf said:
TJH":26dpz1kf said:

I don't think it needs to be a coincidence. There's pretty damning evidence including the fact that he has thrown gang signs on the field during a game on national TV. You don't deserve the benifit of the doubt when you do that. There's also many reports that he has terrible work ethic and isn't a good locker room presence. Sometimes people legitimately deserve what they get and everything isn't some big racist conspiracy.

Then all I ask is you be consistent, because we have a RB that does the same thing.

108809731-e1331066942579.jpg

TJH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":87z95092 said:
TJH":87z95092 said:
Sgt. Largent":87z95092 said:
TJH":87z95092 said:

Then all I ask is you be consistent, because we have a RB that does the same thing.

108809731-e1331066942579.jpg

I'm not the one cutting anyone, and it wouldn't surprise anyone if Marshawn had gang friends. It would actually surprise me if he didn't. What Marshawn doesn't have is concerns about work ethic, locker room presence, and a massively overpaid contract compounding things.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
TJH":1pb1sglf said:
I'm not the one cutting anyone, and it wouldn't surprise anyone if Marshawn had gang friends. It would actually surprise me if he didn't. What Marshawn doesn't have is concerns about work ethic, locker room presence, and a massively overpaid contract compounding things.

There's a difference between "has gang friends" and "implicitly is involved in gang activity" like the Jackson report rumors.

Other than in 2012 when Jackson was hurt, he's more than performed for the Eagles. IMO this is nothing more than a smear campaign by the Eagles to justify cutting him because Chip Kelly thinks he can make WR's and doesn't need to pay Jackson.