Sherman on Jackson

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
brimsalabim":2zemxv7x said:
Haven't heard "the league" say a lot of positives about Irsay but the two situations are not equal anyway. Irsay is an owner of the league while Jackson is an employee of the league.

In the eyes of the disciplinary committee, it doesn't matter. Owners are held to the same standards as players.

btw, Jackson hasn't done anything wrong, unlike Irsay who's now on his 2nd or 3rd offense. Thus the hypocrisy that Sherman's talking about.

plyka

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ktbobxf said:
brimsalabim":2ktbobxf said:
Haven't heard "the league" say a lot of positives about Irsay but the two situations are not equal anyway. Irsay is an owner of the league while Jackson is an employee of the league.

In the eyes of the disciplinary committee, it doesn't matter. Owners are held to the same standards as players.

btw, Jackson hasn't done anything wrong, unlike Irsay who's now on his 2nd or 3rd offense. Thus the hypocrisy that Sherman's talking about.

Jackson hasn't done anything wrong, and no one has punished Jackson. The league hasn't punished Jackson, the media/fans surely haven't punished Jackson, and even the Eagles haven't punished Jackson. It's not a "punishment" to decide not to work with someone. If i don't like the cut of your jib because you smoke cigs and decide not to give you a job to fix my car because of it, that's not a punishment. I'm just deciding not to trade with you. Irsay on the other hand is going to be punished by people in authority. There is no hypocrisy whatsoever.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
plyka":1d6qsii4 said:
Sgt. Largent":1d6qsii4 said:
brimsalabim":1d6qsii4 said:

Jackson hasn't done anything wrong, and no one has punished Jackson. The league hasn't punished Jackson, the media/fans surely haven't punished Jackson, and even the Eagles haven't punished Jackson. It's not a "punishment" to decide not to work with someone. If i don't like the cut of your jib because you smoke cigs and decide not to give you a job to fix my car because of it, that's not a punishment. I'm just deciding not to trade with you. Irsay on the other hand is going to be punished by people in authority. There is no hypocrisy whatsoever.

Over the past two months, who has been negatively talked about more in the media.........Jackson or Irsay? Other than the day Irsay got arrested, I haven't read or seen one story on his troubled past or multiple arrests. Yet when Jackson was released, Twitter blew up with all the gang rumor stories chastising his character and "thuglike" activity.......and it's still going on.

Sorry, but Sherman's not far off on this. For some reason we find it much easier to cast judgement on a black player from California that may know gang members than we do a rich white guy who was ACTUALLY arrested.

kobebryant

Reaction score
It isn't the "race card" when you are speaking the truth.

When that truth becomes something that is uncomfortable for the colonialists to hear, they then refer to it as the "race card".

But please, keep telling us black folks when and when not to perceive something as racist.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
kobebryant":1lyuse5o said:

When that truth becomes something that is uncomfortable for the colonialists to hear, they then refer to it as the "race card".

But please, keep telling us black folks when and when not to perceive something as racist.

What truth was there to Jackson being involved in gang activities? Link please.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":32ao94f6 said:
kobebryant":32ao94f6 said:

What truth was there to Jackson being involved in gang activities? Link please.

Comprehension. You misunderstood. I am defending Sherm's piece, saying that he speaks the truth and it makes people uncomfortable.

Desean Jackson allegedly knows and takes pictures with gangsters and the media writes an article about him having gang ties. But as Sherm notes, Irsay gets caught by the police with a bunch of poppers and cash - and the media isn't writing about Irsay having ties to drug trafficking. Cooper is caught on tape being a racist and the media doesn't investigate if he has ties to racist groups.

If a black NFL player gets caught doing what Irsay did, no question the media paints him as involved in drug trafficking.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
What if it's a black player from the 49ers? Wouldn't be NEARLY as harsh on him as they would a Hawks player.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":35binzz8 said:
What if it's a black player from the 49ers? Wouldn't be NEARLY as harsh on him as they would a Hawks player.

Kaepernick's taking a lot of heat right now, so not sure your point is valid.

Why would the general media care what team the player plays for? They're media whores, they'll latch onto anything that gets eyeballs and clicks.