Status
Not open for further replies.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":x9ao5omw said:
Ad Hawk":x9ao5omw said:
hawksincebirth":x9ao5omw said:
Ad Hawk":x9ao5omw said:
100% of 2013 when he was 5 years younger? Or 100% at 30 years old now? He may be at top health by November of next year, but that's highly unlikely, and even if he was, he's not young any longer. Sorry, but 30 isn't going to cut it against faster, younger wide receivers, even with Sherm's intelligence.

Part of the problem here is that age starts working against a player, and future injuries become a greater possibility the older the he gets. Is that risk worth it?

Even at 100% this next year, $11,000,000 is too much to pay for him when the team is rebuilding. If he comes back for less, that would be fantastic.

But there's no way I would gamble on him with cap space as it is.

I would even take a younger, cheaper, less experienced corner not even on the above list if I knew as coach I could develop him into a quality starter.

Yes the logic is sound but we went from perennial super bowl contenders / potential dynasty to now in full rebuild ???
Pete should go to aswell no need to keep him. The blame lies squarely at him and johns feet.

If only because they kept players like Sherm around tooooooo long.

If they created a successful team at one point, they can do it again. Any blame must include props for success.

It will be much easier to find a new CB than for Paul Allen to find a successful coach and GM.
How about lousy drafts , bad trades, bad free agent pickups and bad coaching ... all of a sudden sherm is passed his prime
I seem to remember no one saying this before news of this broke ..
The problem with your solution is this front office is no longer capable of finding said talent. The last four years have proven this . Take away Cary Williams , harvin, lacy , Joke(ol) and so forth and we would not even be anywhere near the cap crunch we have now. Throw in brown and Sheldon too. We are in rebuild with no draft picks and no clear path to even rebuild. This is indefensible imo

So hang on to players who are past or passing their prime in the hopes they can remain competitive enough to make the team competitive?

This logic makes no sense.

If you want to criticize the FO for poor trades, drafts, etc... fine. But that is mutually exclusive of the Sherman decision. he is hurt, he is on 11 mil, he may not ever be back in his prime, let alone close.

How the team uses the cap space and maybe draft picks is another thread.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":25o1jmdy said:

Yeah.. i think that's the idea..

Do the bring in the right players is another thread.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
They clearly do not feel confident he will be close to 100 percent. Come on, it's Richard Sherman. When healthy, of course he would be playing, and likely talking about an extension. Why in the world would a team cut a guy of his ability unless they are very concerned w/his health?

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Uncle Si":ov7x4a5i said:
hawksincebirth":ov7x4a5i said:
Ad Hawk":ov7x4a5i said:
hawksincebirth":ov7x4a5i said:
I said if Sherman could gt to 100% is there still 10?

100% of 2013 when he was 5 years younger? Or 100% at 30 years old now? He may be at top health by November of next year, but that's highly unlikely, and even if he was, he's not young any longer. Sorry, but 30 isn't going to cut it against faster, younger wide receivers, even with Sherm's intelligence.

Part of the problem here is that age starts working against a player, and future injuries become a greater possibility the older the he gets. Is that risk worth it?

Even at 100% this next year, $11,000,000 is too much to pay for him when the team is rebuilding. If he comes back for less, that would be fantastic.

I would even take a younger, cheaper, less experienced corner not even on the above list if I knew as coach I could develop him into a quality starter.

Yes the logic is sound but we went from perennial super bowl contenders / potential dynasty to now in full rebuild ???
Pete should go to aswell no need to keep him. The blame lies squarely at him and johns feet.

Replacing 1-3 players is not "full rebuild"

My goodness...

The best player on the team is still on the team.

Wagner??? Lol.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Revamp?

We haven't been very good at filling holes in this team even when we were good and replacing less important players.

(Well Lynch was super important but...)

Hell, for a team with a supposed 'cornerback whisperer' that was adept at finding great corners in the draft - we struggled for years with that. Finally we said to heck with it and brought back our old corner.

The idea this team can just revamp with new guys assumes they can FIND new guys that are worth more than they lost. They haven't done that with half the guys they lost. Every loss left a gaping hole.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":337nol69 said:
hawksincebirth":337nol69 said:
Sgt. Largent":337nol69 said:
hawksincebirth":337nol69 said:
Your in denial if you think this f.o. Or coach can rebuild this team. The last four years have proven me correct. I hope your correct. But seeing Sherman coming back on another team and bouncing back will be a death blow to this f.o. Imho.

So you'd extend Sherman coming off a major achilles tear? Because that's what you're saying if you want him to stay.

You're gonna pay a guy who's coming off a major injury another 3-4 years at 12M+ for a team that's rebuilding and desperately needs the cap space.

Why? So we can go 9-7 again?

I'm also pissed at John and Pete for trading picks and screwing over our cap last year going for broke. But it is what it is, and if we want to our cap right, Richard's gotta go...........cause he's not in the rebuild plans.
So without sherm , kam, Bennett , jg, avril. This team will be better than 9-7? We will pick top 5 next year if we didn’t give that up in a horrible trade ? :pukeface:

You didn't answer my question.

You're defending Sherman, and I get it, he COULD still be a good corner. But if you haven't noticed, we're in a total rebuild, so you either want to cut Sherman to save cap, or you plan on extending him to still be in the team after next year.

You just keep saying he's good, and maybe? But that's not looking at the future, or even talking about what a pain in the ass negative personality he's become to his coaches.

btw, we were already on the decline WITH these guys, to the tune of 9-7 last year. You think all of a sudden all these guys are going to get healthy, stay healthy AND we'll be back in the SB?

We may stink next year, we may stink in 2019. But if you're gonna rebuild, rebuild. No reason to keep an disgruntled cornerback on the decline around, AND pay him 12-15M a year.
We will stink next year (and the next couple of years after) for sure if Sherm is gone.
For what, so we can go out overpay for Joekel (sp?) types??? I’d rather overpay a tad for a proven commodity then the projects we have over the past few years. ...and if we are in a true rebuild, let’s trade Bobby Wagner as his worth will never be higher than it is right now. Can you imagine the draft picks we’d get and the cap space we'd get by trading Wags???

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":39zq5vhu said:
We will stink next year (and the next couple of years after) for sure if Sherm is gone.
For what, so we can go out overpay for Joekel (sp?) types??? I’d rather overpay a tad for a proven commodity then the projects we have over the past few years. ...and if we are in a true rebuild, let’s trade Bobby Wagner as his worth will never be higher than it is right now. Can you imagine the draft picks we’d get and the cap space we'd get by trading Wags???

We'll stink if Sherman is here as well, 9-7 and these guys getting hurt or at BEST wearing down at the end of the season when we need them most is no recipe for success.

So you want to keep Sherman? then here's our defensive cap situation next year.

Bobby $13.6
Earl $10.4
Kam $9.6
KJ $8.2
Sherman $13.2

That's 55 million in cap hit dedicated to 5 defensive players, and would be almost 80% of the defensive cap budget (70-75M)................and two of those guys, Kam and Richard wouldn't even be playing at the start of the season.

That's insanity, something had to give, and Richard was it.

bigskydoc

Reaction score
The NFL has passed Sherman by. He hasn't so much dropped off, as the rules (enforcement) has muted one of the best parts of his game, the press. Given his age, his significant injury, and the change in the rules, he isn't worth keeping for that cap hit.

And just to be clear. I'm not saying the Achilles injury is minor. What I'm saying is, the repair of the not yet ruptured tendon is minor, when considered in the light of the fact that he will be recovering from the ruptured tendon. He either can or can't recover from Achilles surgery, and there is a good chance that he doesn't. The second surgery doesn't make this any more or less likely.

RussB

Reaction score
Its better to release players like sherman a year too early. Rather than a year too late.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1awzea99 said:
hawksincebirth":1awzea99 said:
Ad Hawk":1awzea99 said:
hawksincebirth":1awzea99 said:
I said if Sherman could gt to 100% is there still 10?

My goodness...

We have no pass rush , 2 good dbs, no line all new coaches . No tight end 2-3 receivers and we just missed the playoffs
If you think we will sniff 8-8 next year your delusion. But hey in John and Pete we trust . Until pete leaves after next year with this team in shambles . Agree to disagree

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
What he has been paid is for what production he has given us. Any future pay will be for what may or may not be. That is the real circumstance. Is he gonna be able to produce or is he gonna just be a very expensive camp body that will not be able to do squat. 12 months for recovery time puts him at about November if he gets back into game shape by then. We then put him in the game and see what he has disrupting the new people that have filled in and learned thru hard work and now experience how to play the position that is now demanded by the new coaching staff. Just another thought along the way. Maybe Sherman can help these kids along by showing some of the ropes...I just hope it doesnt cost an arm and a leg to do it.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Please keep this thread forever . I will come back in a few years and bask in I told you so. I’m out as the kids say deuces !!

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Damn it is getting pretty salty in here. Nothing has even happened yet. The glass is empty, or it is full. No one is going to change each other’s minds. I keep clicking on this thread for news, and All I get are pages of 4 people going on and on saying the same thing.

Sorry it is getting old

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
tacomahawk":11yrmuns said:
Damn it is getting pretty salty in here. Nothing has even happened yet. The glass is empty, or it is full. No one is going to change each other’s minds. I keep clicking on this thread for news, and All I get are pages of 4 people going on and on saying the same thing.

Sorry it is getting old
Log off then

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":19f18uvj said:
tacomahawk":19f18uvj said:

Sorry it is getting old
Log off then

hawksincebirth":19f18uvj said:
I’m out as the kids say deuces !!

I thought you were out though

tacomahawk

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":3lhvv5nw said:
tacomahawk":3lhvv5nw said:

Sorry it is getting old
Log off then

Thanks for that, but like I said I am clicking for news. I was actually hoping you might heed the same advise you just gave me.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":2zo19ol7 said:
Uncle Si":2zo19ol7 said:
hawksincebirth":2zo19ol7 said:
Ad Hawk":2zo19ol7 said:

My goodness...

We have no pass rush , 2 good dbs, no line all new coaches . No tight end 2-3 receivers and we just missed the playoffs
If you think we will sniff 8-8 next year your delusion. But hey in John and Pete we trust . Until pete leaves after next year with this team in shambles . Agree to disagree

And Bennett makes us 9-7?

This argument is all over the place.

Have a word..

12forlife

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":2brszxxv said:
Ad Hawk":2brszxxv said:
hawksincebirth":2brszxxv said:
Ad Hawk":2brszxxv said:

If only because they kept players like Sherm around tooooooo long.

If they created a successful team at one point, they can do it again. Any blame must include props for success.

It will be much easier to find a new CB than for Paul Allen to find a successful coach and GM.
How about lousy drafts , bad trades, bad free agent pickups and bad coaching ... all of a sudden sherm is passed his prime
I seem to remember no one saying this before news of this broke ..
The problem with your solution is this front office is no longer capable of finding said talent. The last four years have proven this . Take away Cary Williams , harvin, lacy , Joke(ol) and so forth and we would not even be anywhere near the cap crunch we have now. Throw in brown and Sheldon too. We are in rebuild with no draft picks and no clear path to even rebuild. This is indefensible imo

Uhm I said it last year that Sherman wasn't playing up to his cap hit. Brown was a must or Wilson was going to get killed, and was well worth the trade if it would have worked out w/ Lane. Sheldon I'm still on the fence about, but he was only brought in because McDowell was an Idiot. Now I agree Harvin & J Graham were bad trades. Fat Eddie & Joke were just turning over rocks to see their worth, not much and easy to get away from. Our drafts the last 3 yrs hasn't been as successful as it was the first 3 season w/ PC/JS, but they have hit on some real solid prospects you are sorely over looking in Shaq, Reed, Naz & Clark. Your right those cats have no talent! Have some faith they rebuilt this team from the ground up before, and if their is anyone that isn't in "I'm In" mode, then they will be movable aswell.

Status
Not open for further replies.