Sherman Rumours

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ze4ztj1 said:
Sports Hernia":2ze4ztj1 said:
We will stink next year (and the next couple of years after) for sure if Sherm is gone.
For what, so we can go out overpay for Joekel (sp?) types??? I’d rather overpay a tad for a proven commodity then the projects we have over the past few years. ...and if we are in a true rebuild, let’s trade Bobby Wagner as his worth will never be higher than it is right now. Can you imagine the draft picks we’d get and the cap space we'd get by trading Wags???

We'll stink if Sherman is here as well, 9-7 and these guys getting hurt or at BEST wearing down at the end of the season when we need them most is no recipe for success.

So you want to keep Sherman? then here's our defensive cap situation next year.

Bobby $13.6
Earl $10.4
Kam $9.6
KJ $8.2
Sherman $13.2

That's 55 million in cap hit dedicated to 5 defensive players, and would be almost 80% of the defensive cap budget (70-75M)................and two of those guys, Kam and Richard wouldn't even be playing at the start of the season.

That's insanity, something had to give, and Richard was it.
So you are up for trading Bobby as well??? Or is that where you draw the line? Lots of cap space freed up and draft picks galore coming back right?

I don’t want to trade Wags but if we are going to “rebuild” why half ass it......

As for Sherm he is a FA in 2019 so if you let him walk THEN, at least you’ll get compensated with a draft pick.

I don’t really care if the Hawks are tight against the cap in 2018 as you yourself admitted they will be suck-mediocre anyways.
JS and PC Made their “2018 cap bed” last year with the Richardson and Brown trades.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1opwqpoc said:
So easy to criticize the front office from the couch/computer.
With all due respect, That’s a lazy statement.

When they have great drafts and make great trades and FA pick ups they should be praised. Well they screw up by not drafting well, making bad trades, severely overpay absolutely horrible O-lineman, and hang on to a horrible offensive coaching staff for a couple of years too long, they deserve to be criticized and held accountable.

It comes with the territory and PC and JS would be the first to tell you that.

They need to hit some homeruns in this up coming draft! Ignoring red flags of players and Candy hopping it back to the pitcher (see Malik) won’t cut it this year.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1epdg33n said:
They clearly do not feel confident he will be close to 100 percent. Come on, it's Richard Sherman. When healthy, of course he would be playing, and likely talking about an extension. Why in the world would a team cut a guy of his ability unless they are very concerned w/his health?

I can give you 11 million reasons.

hawkfan68

Reaction score
hawksincebirth":32bsovtk said:
HawkFan72":32bsovtk said:
Maelstrom787":32bsovtk said:
Why use such a poor false analogy? It doesn't convince anyone of you being correct. Basketball and football are two vastly different sports, teams are built different. Sherman and Kobe are also vastly different players of substantially different worth to their respective organizations.

And also the fact that Kobe was never good again after his injury! And the Lakers were bottom feeders until he retired!

The lakers were a horrible team because they made 2 horrible trades for Nash and Howard. Hmmmm sounds familiar. Kobe could of left and went to Mia or gs and played good minutes and contributed easily to win more rings.. also injury at 29 and 39 very different

Sorry to get off track but can't resist this one....

The Lakers were a horrible team because Kobe is an extremely selfish player. He did nothing to make those around him better. All he did was hog the ball and the rest of the teammates were there because you need to have 5 total players on the floor per team. Of all the years Kobe played ball he still never learned how to "pass" the basketball.

Back to the Sherm,
It's going to be really strange seeing him in another uniform. Hopefully they can work something out with him but I think done as Seahawk if they release him. With his pride, I doubt he will come back to the team that cut him in this situation. As a player, he probably feels a bit unsupported by the Seahawk FO. Just my opinion.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
iigakusei":iboxp77y said:
I am going to bet that the interest in Sherman once he is cut will be a lot less than he (or us) expects.
Watch the Cheatriots pick him up and get another ring because of it.

hawk45

Reaction score
Wish he wouldn't have gotten hurt. Teams still were avoiding him a majority of the time and that effect on the rest of the secondary can't be overestimated.

I do appreciate that with the injury his cap number has to be really, really scrutinized to the point of even releasing him, but we will be worse in the secondary without him the next few years I do not doubt. Maybe we can reload, but we have a limited Wilson window in which to do this.

The all-in approach last year is what tipped us to this reload point, but I still support their decision to go all in. Had we not had crazy injuries and the worst OL coach ever it might have resulted in another trophy.

chris98251

Reaction score
PFT has a article saying the Seahawks will cut him on Friday now.

Getty Images
The Seahawks are expected to release cornerback Richard Sherman on Friday “barring something happening that’s not expected,” Bob Condotta of the Seattle Times reports.

This will give him the time to heal and negotiate his own deal going forward with who he wants to play for. Oakland, Tampa, Rams, Chargers or Patriots. Maybe even a return here, doubt that happens though.

getnasty

Reaction score
Uncle Si":17hnu8vr said:
hawksincebirth":17hnu8vr said:
Ad Hawk":17hnu8vr said:
hawksincebirth":17hnu8vr said:
I said if Sherman could gt to 100% is there still 10?

100% of 2013 when he was 5 years younger? Or 100% at 30 years old now? He may be at top health by November of next year, but that's highly unlikely, and even if he was, he's not young any longer. Sorry, but 30 isn't going to cut it against faster, younger wide receivers, even with Sherm's intelligence.

Part of the problem here is that age starts working against a player, and future injuries become a greater possibility the older the he gets. Is that risk worth it?

Even at 100% this next year, $11,000,000 is too much to pay for him when the team is rebuilding. If he comes back for less, that would be fantastic.

But there's no way I would gamble on him with cap space as it is.

I would even take a younger, cheaper, less experienced corner not even on the above list if I knew as coach I could develop him into a quality starter.

Yes the logic is sound but we went from perennial super bowl contenders / potential dynasty to now in full rebuild ???
Pete should go to aswell no need to keep him. The blame lies squarely at him and johns feet.

Replacing 1-3 players is not "full rebuild"

My goodness...

The best player on the team is still on the team.

The 3 best players on the team are still on the team.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
So...an idiot question....he is the Seahawks rep at the Players Meeting in Vegas.....(watching boise state play in the tournament MWC)..., is he still repping the seahawks or is he repping himself and/or our players??? Just to put this out there...and who would be our rep in the next year if he is actually gone???

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":1beakxqo said:
So...an idiot question....he is the Seahawks rep at the Players Meeting in Vegas.....(watching boise state play in the tournament MWC)..., is he still repping the seahawks or is he repping himself and/or our players??? Just to put this out there...and who would be our rep in the next year if he is actually gone???

He is still on the team as of now, going forward as we stand hard to say, that player may not be here come August.

I just know it won't be Wilson, not something he would take on, to much controversy and confront especially going into a new CBA soon.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":oi6dkptx said:
Seahawkfan80":oi6dkptx said:

He is still on the team as of now, going forward as we stand hard to say, that player may not be here come August.

I just know it won't be Wilson, not something he would take on, to much controversy and confront especially going into a new CBA soon.

Thanks Chris...and for not agreeing with me for me calling me an idiot..... :2thumbs:

chris98251

Reaction score
Seahawkfan80":3kokpccl said:
chris98251":3kokpccl said:
Seahawkfan80":3kokpccl said:

Thanks Chris...and for not agreeing with me for me calling me an idiot..... :2thumbs:

Oh no problem not something I would have thought about at this point, I am sure we will have someone step up starting Friday, Could be Britt maybe Bobby, would think it would be a player not looking up at the Guillotine.

As far as Idiots, well there is a line in front of you and I am sure before this is over it will get longer.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
seems odd that so many are surprised by this....seemed like it was an accepted reality around here when the injury went down, most talking about being disappointed we had seen him in a hawk jersey for the last time....

the writing on the wall has been dry for months now, were some living in denial?

massari

Reaction score
Sherman has trade value if he passes a physical.

chris98251

Reaction score
massari":33orcn31 said:
Sherman has trade value if he passes a physical.

They are not going to wait till July or August. Besides getting cut works in Sherman's favor as his own agent, he can pick his team instead of having no say.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
It's hard to see how we'll be worse without Sherman in the backfield right now. The man cannot even play football, so any replacement is better than his injured body standing motionless opposite a 4.4 40yd WR.

Therein lies the entire root of disagreements on this subject.

Some are hanging on to the hope he'll somehow make it back, and are willing to bet 11+ mil on it; others aren't willing to bet that much on him returning to better-than-league-average that would warrant such a salary.

Who are the optimists and who are the pessimists here? Hmmm...

original poster

Reaction score
I totally get it from a business stand point. I've had him cut or traded in most of my 'GM' posts, this team needs to transition some money from the defense to the offense, there needs to be more of a balance. Not to mention getting younger on D with some hungry guys looking to prove themselves.

But..

It hurts, really hurts.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Wait, when does that 11M become guaranteed? Couldn't they ride with Sherm through TC and preseason and see if he's ready and cut him then. Roll that cap over til next year or use it to re sign Clark during the season. Would that work? Don't think we are going to be super active in FA anyway so we don't need the money ASAP.

Status
Not open for further replies.