Shermans Sideline Outburst

Jerhawk

Reaction score
Polk738":julmhttj said:
I look at it this way, it was more the exception than the norm, if it truly was a problem the secondary would've been getting torched all game instead of just for one quarter-Atlanta was the number 1 offense coming into this game and they truly showed it today. Even the best corners in this league will give up a few big plays, even Patrick Petersen gave up like 190 yards to Julio Jones at one time.

As soon as I heard that Kam would be out I knew it would be rough for the secondary, because I thought back to last season an those first few games. Yes Sherm screwed up and we gave up some plays but in the end the defense came through with that interception and we won the game. Remember this is the team that just put Denver down last weekend the so called "best defense in the league" so for the Seahawks to win is a huge statement to the rest of the league.

Perfectly said. People are acting like the defense got destroyed. They had a terrible 3rd quarter. Some serious issues, which was exposed by the #1 offense in the NFL.

The Hawks just held the #1 offense in terms of scoring and yardage to 24 points. That's not terrible. In fact, it was impressive. They only gave up 3 points outside the 3rd quarter

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
Seanhawk":6enh14lg said:
FlyingGreg":6enh14lg said:
Hard to say.

We are not the same D without Kam...

Looked like it in the first half.

One half is not a game, especially against an offense like that.

Also, Atlanta was very conservative in the first half.

Point stands...not the same D without Kam. Period.

evergreen

Reaction score
Not the same D without Kam... Well, Duh... What team would be the same without Kam? I blame our anemic 3rd quarter offense for most of that 3rd quarter. The Offense had two 3 and outs. 27 yrds nearly all quarter. Those short second downs where we ran really sucked... If we could have made two or three 1st downs we could have saved the D and maybe some points. God we looked good in the 1st half! Overall it reminded me of the '14 Denver game. For a while it looked like the '14 Cowboys game... Overall, we're 4-1 and finally beat a winner. Not a lot to complain about now...

falcongoggles

Reaction score
I don't know who was at fault. What I do know is that it wasn't a good look for Sherman. Having to be restrained by your teammates while you go after another is never a winning leadership style.

Jazzhawk

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":2ri2xetr said:
Seanhawk":2ri2xetr said:
FlyingGreg":2ri2xetr said:
Hard to say.

We are not the same D without Kam...

Looked like it in the first half.

One half is not a game, especially against an offense like that.

Also, Atlanta was very conservative in the first half.

Point stands...not the same D without Kam. Period.
Atlanta made some adjustments coming out for the 2nd half. We finally made our own adjustments and were able to play assignment correct football after that, hence, we shut them down in the 4th quarter. It took them longer than we all would have liked, but bottom line is they did, and we won.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
I remember them having communication issues last year and losing games.

Here we have miscommunication and we win.

Long season, let's be thankful and not make more out of passion then there really is.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
Jerhawk":lzr7emi8 said:
Year of The Hawk":lzr7emi8 said:
That is the one problem with the way we have built our team. When all the pieces are there everyone is in sync. Works great. Take a piece away and it unbalances everything. Players get confused and don't rely on each other as much. Mental breakdowns like we had here today.

The same could be said about every team.

Sherman played a bad game, but Cmon folks. He's going against Julio Jones, and Brandon Marshall last game. We're lucky to have a corner who doesn't get torched all the time. He hold his own

Outside of the TWO obvious blown coverages I don't think he played bad at all fwiw.

strohmin

Reaction score
I don't think we can blame that on Sherman. I believe him when he says miscommunication. If the communication was on point then I doubt Atlanta would have came back that easy.

12thbrah

Reaction score
The 3rd quarter was a turd but the defense did their job in the 4th so no complaints. I also loved that shot of the team jumping up and down to rally around Sherm after he went off. I doubt you see that kind of brotherhood on any other team in the league. That got me amped up seeing it.

Seanhawk

Reaction score
LeftHandSmoke":y5mn4iv2 said:
Richard Sherman on screaming at Seahawks sideline: "Kelcie hasn't been in the defense long & we tried to make an adjustment. Miscommunication"

He was referring to an audibled 'call within a call.'

Even if it was 100% McCray's fault, it's BS that Sherm mentioned him by name in the press conference.

Ozzy

Reaction score
I totally understand why Sherman was upset although he could of handled it better. I think he was also upset that Atlanta made adjustments and Richard was slow to do the same. They kept motioning out a FB his way forcing Sherman on him and putting their best players on a back up safety and the rest of the defense. Sherman was right to be upset for not adjusting to that.

Loved seeing the team rally around him though. Sherman will be fine and the defense will be fine. I'm excited about the rest of the year.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
Seanhawk":3sgv7b7o said:
LeftHandSmoke":3sgv7b7o said:
Richard Sherman on screaming at Seahawks sideline: "Kelcie hasn't been in the defense long & we tried to make an adjustment. Miscommunication"

He was referring to an audibled 'call within a call.'

Even if it was 100% McCray's fault, it's BS that Sherm mentioned him by name in the press conference.
It was to a reporter (the Tribune guy maybe) during an audio interview in the locker room. Wherever he said it, does not take away from the argument he was making - which is that the audibles should maybe not have been made given the unfamiliarity introduced by the personnel change; that they would have been better off sticking with the 'base' call.

edit: I just re-heard Sherm say those exact words, on the B&S show, 30 seconds ago.

mistaowen

Reaction score
austinslater25":12pjcpfp said:
I totally understand why Sherman was upset although he could of handled it better. I think he was also upset that Atlanta made adjustments and Richard was slow to do the same. They kept motioning out a FB his way forcing Sherman on him and putting their best players on a back up safety and the rest of the defense. Sherman was right to be upset for not adjusting to that.

Loved seeing the team rally around him though. Sherman will be fine and the defense will be fine. I'm excited about the rest of the year.

I mentioned this like 5 times in the gameday forum. They kept using the SAME set where someone who did nothing but take Sherman deep in the zone would motion out wide of Julio Jones. That scheme has RS take the furthest receiver out wide, leaving Julio covered by anyone but Sherman. He had a field day running crossing routes or straight up the middle because they schemed Sherman out of coverage.

The first TD to Julio, McCray stayed flat, basically occupying the same zone as Sherman and leaving the huge void along the sideline deep. That is what he was upset about.

The irony is, the TD to their no name TE was from the same set where Sherm stayed with Julio short, leaving the TE wide open in the vacated area.

Why Kris didn't stick with man across (specifically RS vs Julio) with an additional blitzer most of the game was puzzling. It was noticeable we went to more zone in the 3rd quarter and they shredded it immediately.

NFSeahawks

Reaction score
mistaowen":2juuavkt said:
austinslater25":2juuavkt said:

I mentioned this like 5 times in the gameday forum. They kept using the SAME set where someone who did nothing but take Sherman deep in the zone would motion out wide of Julio Jones. That scheme has RS take the furthest receiver out wide, leaving Julio covered by anyone but Sherman. He had a field day running crossing routes or straight up the middle because they schemed Sherman out of coverage.

The first TD to Julio, McCray stayed flat, basically occupying the same zone as Sherman and leaving the huge void along the sideline deep. That is what he was upset about.

The irony is, the TD to their no name TE was from the same set where Sherm stayed with Julio short, leaving the TE wide open in the vacated area.

Why Kris didn't stick with man across (specifically RS vs Julio) with an additional blitzer most of the game was puzzling. It was noticeable we went to more zone in the 3rd quarter and they shredded it immediately.

Crazy to stop blitzing after the success we had in the first half. Getting pressure on the QB may sound basic enough but it's monumental in having success against good passing QB's. I know it didn't help when Bennett went out.

Is it possible our coaches actually over adjust?

Kris Richards defense has had a blown coverage at least 7 or so times since he's been here and about 3 or 4 this year.
Whats with that?

StoneCold

Reaction score
Richard's outburst was human and real and made for some great drama. From the helmet throw to the bouncing circle around Sherm. So much passion it ignited the fans. I have no doubt there will be no lingering affect from this.

Richard did call out Kelcie for the blown coverage. When you watch the replay it's clear that Kelcie was not on the same page as the rest of the team, as Julio simply ran past him. So if it was Kelcie that blew the call Truth Monday came a bit early. I have no problem with that as I'm sure there was no bus involved. What we know is it was a mental mistake that can be and was corrected. We are 4-1.

xgeoff

Reaction score
Personally, I loved this whole episode. I loved the passion and drive to be perfect that Richard Sherman displayed. And I loved the way the team rallied around him chanting 'who's got your back? I've got your back!'.

The team culture that this vignette captures is amazing and something that I just sit back, admire, and appreciate.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Largent80

Reaction score
xgeoff":35agihih said:
Personally, I loved this whole episode. I loved the passion and drive to be perfect that Richard Sherman displayed. And I loved the way the team rallied around him chanting 'who's got your back? I've got your back!'.

The team culture that this vignette captures is amazing and something that I just sit back, admire, and appreciate.

This, it was awesome beyond belief. I want more.

timmat

Reaction score
With the endless hours of sports talk to fill these days, combined with so many digital media outlets, it feels like this Sherman outburst is going to get blown way, way out of proportion and get talked about for longer than it should. Was it a story in the moment - of course. You just know though that it won't be given a reasonable amount of play, but rather it will be talked about and analyzed to death.

You have one of the most competitive, talented players on the planet upset that he and his team didn't perform up to their capabilities - whether it was performance, scheme, lack of communication, or otherwise. But the D bounced back and didn't give up a point in the 4th Q. That's what I like about the story.

I hope this incident doesn't dominate all week now.

Latest posts