Shhhhh. Quiet Zone. (It's Free Agency After All)

AgentDib

Reaction score
Nobody should blame either of them specifically, but at the same time injury risk factors into the conversation and is one of the reasons why bringing in veterans at high cost often backfires down the road.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Aros":djep75pw said:
Trrrroy":djep75pw said:
If I'm John Schneider, I'm seriously looking at those offers for Clark and pulling the trigger if the price is right. It might hurt in the short term, but long term you're freeing up cap space for Wagner, Reed, and Wilson, and recouping valuable draft capital in a very deep class. The alternative is likely seeing one of your best players walk away next offseason while they again get nothing in return.

I tend to agree but boy that offer would have to be too good to turn down. What does that look like? Two firsts? Nope. A first and third? :snack:

The deal the Niners just made with KC for Dee Ford for a 2nd and a $90 mil. contract will put the kibosh on getting a first and 3rd for Frank Clark. To me the team messed up not paying him earlier. This is becoming a difficult situation for the FO to find a work through, but the price for Clark from another team has dropped significantly with the Ford deal happening.

Atradees

Reaction score
In a crazy FA period getting a high bills pick would be awesome. Paying Clark 17 mill per....I dont like it.

G Mike Iupati and G/C Stefen Wisnewski are out there for short terms deals likely...

Houston and Ansah are still available........................

mistaowen

Reaction score
PC/JS always let the first wave of signings go without doing much, the good organizations do too. Some of these contracts are insane and I'm glad they aren't ignorantly throwing money at average-above average players who will not ever live up to the money.

I don't think the starting roster will look much different than last years. Couple new faces from the draft, probably sign a couple castoffs who fit a certain role within the team or underachieved with their former team, and an expectation the young guys who got their first experience as starters last year take a big step forward.

James in PA

Reaction score
What we *should have* done is signed Nick Foles to be our backup, traded multiple future 1st round picks for Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham Jr., and signed Le’veon Bell. Clearly, that’s the way you build a Super Bowl team!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Elemas

Reaction score
I used to believe that teams who signed all the pricey FAs would implode a few years down the line. As the cap increases, now I'm not so sure.

Let's be honest, you start to feel a bit of "hater-aide" kick in when you see some of these signings. Example...I was a bit shocked at the OBJ trade but, I almost sharted when I read about the potential for ET (my 3rd favorite Hawk all-time) heading to the Browns as well...rumor or not. I know ETs time in Seattle is kaput...rightfully so...but, it doesn't take away the "wow, f*$#" factor.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
James in PA":2qbtz6jn said:
What we *should have* done is signed Nick Foles to be our backup, traded multiple future 1st round picks for Antonio Brown and Odell Beckham Jr., and signed Le’veon Bell. Clearly, that’s the way you build a Super Bowl team!!!

I know you are kidding b/c the whole cap would be taken up by the 4 players, besides there wouldn’t be enough balls to go around.

aawolf

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2elifudv said:
http://walterfootball.com/freeagents2016all.php

Loook at the top free agents from the 2016 class. It's kind of crazy seeing how much of them got cut and some were signed again this free agency to some other team throwing money in the wrong place (see Malik JAckson, Weddle, Osmele)

LOL. Good find. Its interesting that you don't see "signed by the Patriots", or "signed by the Eagles", or "signed by the Falcons", or "signed by the Rams" below any of those names and those are the super bowl teams in the following years.

It just goes to show that making splashes in free agency don't often lead to championships.

James in PA

Reaction score
jammerhawk":2vsmqbpw said:
James in PA":2vsmqbpw said:

I know you are kidding b/c the whole cap would be taken up by the 4 players, besides there wouldn’t be enough balls to go around.
Aw come on. Those guys are so elite that we could play 4 on 11, both sides of the ball, and still dominate!!!

;)

Sac

Reaction score
Aros":2zu5c1lp said:
Free agency is always such a bore for us. A friend texted me this morning..."Why nothing out of Seahawks camp?" It's true. JS/PC are rarely big players in free agency. Apparently that paradigm remains for 2019.

Dude, we signed a Pro Bowl player from NY.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It is never a bore for me.

I dread this time of year because this is when news like Harvin or Graham appear.

I was livid when Harvin was brought in because I knew it meant the end of Tate. And I knew all of Harvin's issues were soon to follow.

With Cary Williams I was perplexed. He sucked there, why would we want him to come to suck here? Which he did.

When Graham was signed I was baffled, that defense first, run first winning mentality was somehow colliding with what looked like an attempt to destroy our run game in pursuit of loading Wilson up with weapons and going all Green Bay Packers West. (Little did I know that we would instead just trade away draft picks, destroy our run game, load Wilson up with weapons, but STILL go defense first, run first in spite of the fact we did not have the personnel for it anymore).

By the time we rolled around to signing that fat guy that likes to eat Chinese food, I was a bit more ambivalent until I saw what we were paying him.

I don't mind giving failures another chance to succeed. But paying them like they are not failures makes no sense. Yet we do it again and again.

Shelden Richardson was an interesting adventure too. High priced FA and trades don't generally work for us. Mostly they ruin our ability to keep guys we should have kept.

Guys that are lower tier like Coleman, work out sometimes. Not against all FAs, but for the most part the under the radar guys are never that exciting on signing so nobody cares anyway. McDougal is not under the radar but he wasn't a big splash new addition either.

Keeping quiet in FA or with big trades is a wise move for this team because they tend to screw it up worse more than they tend to improve things.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Good post Twisted.

Plenty of moves to be made later in the week and the free agency period that will still help the team progress quite a bit. Think the judging comes then

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I have no interest in winning the off-season. Would I like for us to, one day sign a big name at wide receiver such as an OBJ, Julio Jones, etc.? Yes. I think every elite QB should at least for a couple of years get that loaded offense. Even Brady had it once upon a time, although it didn't lead to a SB win. It was still a special era when they signed Randy Moss

I'm not a big fan of the copycat business. If Belicheck signed OBJ, who he actually considered trading up for once, no one would criticize the move. Instead everyone would go "OMG Brady is going to destroy the league." Our reservation comes from not trusting the FO but neither Graham and Percy were "culture" fits. I would love a superstar that happens to also be a "culture fit" and not a locker room cancer.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
chris98251":tbwm61cr said:
WestcoastSteve":tbwm61cr said:
I just remember the last time we spent big on free agency we got Zach Miller and Sidney Rice who were great Seahawks but bad contracts. We ended up cutting both and eating some dead money.

They were not cut due to performance but due to injuries, make sure you add the details, it sounds like your calling them busts when they were very good contributors till injured.

A big reason Rice was let go by Minnesota were their injury concerns. He played only six games the years before we signed him.

Miller was a solid player and signing but he didn't perform to his contract. We made him like the 2nd or 3rd highest paid TE at the time for a guy who was a great blocker but so-so receiver for us.We overpaid because we wanted to make a splash and had cap space.

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score

WestcoastSteve

Reaction score
When BB needs a receiver he generally buys low -- see Josh Gordon, Deion Branch (round II), Amendola, Welker etc.

chris98251

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":2q887pj4 said:
chris98251":2q887pj4 said:
WestcoastSteve":2q887pj4 said:
I just remember the last time we spent big on free agency we got Zach Miller and Sidney Rice who were great Seahawks but bad contracts. We ended up cutting both and eating some dead money.

They were not cut due to performance but due to injuries, make sure you add the details, it sounds like your calling them busts when they were very good contributors till injured.

A big reason Rice was let go by Minnesota were their injury concerns. He played only six games the years before we signed him.

Miller was a solid player and signing but he didn't perform to his contract. We made him like the 2nd or 3rd highest paid TE at the time for a guy who was a great blocker but so-so receiver for us.We overpaid because we wanted to make a splash and had cap space.

Rice played well till his knee went south Miller was Elite, but our OC misused him and Cable could not get 5 guys to block so pulled him inside to help. Blame Bevell and Cable for misusing the talent, same could be said of their use of Graham, he was never going to be a inline TE.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
HawkGA":1mnt76ws said:
I used to love the offseason. Then the Seahawks got good and I realized only fans of bad teams liked the offseason.
True dat. :laugh: