Short term vs. Long term..

Vetamur

Reaction score
Here is a question to ponder as we find ourselves on the brink of the playoffs..

Scenario:

Seahawks make it to the Superbowl. Harvin is well enough to play and really make a contribution on both kick returns and at WR. But hes not so healthy that it wont effect him..playing him means he will have a chance of re-injuring himself again and starting NEXT season on the PUP.

How much do you want a Super Bowl? Would you play him?

Normally Im a forward looking, value the future kind of guy. But the future in the NFL is always so hard to see and the "no Superb Owl wins" monkey is now a 500 pound gorilla.. at this point, I think Id selfishly risk it and play him if he were willing. Yes, Im as bad as Shanahan. Thats what the NFL does to you.

Will I

Reaction score
If we make through the NFC to the Super Bowl, there is not a Defense in the AFC that we would need Percy against IMO (not even the Chiefs). if we get there without him, we can and WILL win it without him.

drdiags

Reaction score
The only problem I see is what if his rust leads to turnovers due to not being on the same page with Wilson? You play him and I would as well but it doesn't mean a magical impact is felt having him back and playing. Worse case scenario is you play him, he is a turn over machine and re-injures himself, the game is loss anyway.

Cfuji

Reaction score
At this point just having him return kickoffs would help the team.

Timberhawk

Reaction score
Great question. I would think you play him. The point about the rust could be a valid point. How about you dont play him unless we really need a boost, kind of like the kick return against Minny? That way if we have the game under control from start to finish no risk.

Go Hawks!!

bigdaddydave

Reaction score
Throwdown":1c61vsrf said:
You play him, there's no guarantee that you'll ever get back there again.

/thread

P.S - this was exactly what I was saying with getting Josh Gordon for a 2nd. This is the year the window is open. Who knows if it'll be open next year.

plyka

Reaction score
Vetamur":2soso5hr said:
Here is a question to ponder as we find ourselves on the brink of the playoffs..

Scenario:

Seahawks make it to the Superbowl. Harvin is well enough to play and really make a contribution on both kick returns and at WR. But hes not so healthy that it wont effect him..playing him means he will have a chance of re-injuring himself again and starting NEXT season on the PUP.

How much do you want a Super Bowl? Would you play him?

Normally Im a forward looking, value the future kind of guy. But the future in the NFL is always so hard to see and the "no Superb Owl wins" monkey is now a 500 pound gorilla.. at this point, I think Id selfishly risk it and play him if he were willing. Yes, Im as bad as Shanahan. Thats what the NFL does to you.

Even if playing Percy means a career ending injury, I would play him if it means we win the superbowl. Of course I would hope Percy would be smart enough not to play for his personal situation.

sutz

Reaction score
Not even a question. If he's ready, he plays. Why else would we keep him on the roster? If we weren't going to play him in a scenario like that, we should IR him and give another guy a chance.

Every player always has a chance to re-injure himself. :229031_shrug:

TwilightError

Reaction score
You play him even if he is not 100% Supper Bowl is too hard to get to for planning anything ahead.

jblaze

Reaction score
If you IR him this season, you guarantee his contract for 2014. That's why they won't IR him, to keep their options open. His contract is injury guaranteed for 2014. He's not going to play this year, he's not healthy enough.

Now I don't think they'll drop him given how much they've given to get him but it's still an option and I think that's why he stays on the roster. That is also why they cut Cox instead of putting Harvin on IR.

LargentFan

Reaction score
If the choice is to play Harvin, but he gets a bullet in the head after we win, I choose play Harvin. This isn't a difficult choice at all. Ok, maybe not if he has to die, but you get the point.
I like Harvin and think he will be an exciting player for us, but a super bowl championship, let alone a franchise's first, is worth losing just about anyone permanently.

Seahawkscrazy

Reaction score
LargentFan":2ehr66io said:
If the choice is to play Harvin, but he gets a bullet in the head after we win, I choose play Harvin. This isn't a difficult choice at all. Ok, maybe not if he has to die, but you get the point.
I like Harvin and think he will be an exciting player for us, but a super bowl championship, let alone a franchise's first, is worth losing just about anyone permanently.

Except Russell.

To answer the OP, yes, you play him. It's all hands on deck 110% effort or GTFO time.

Latest posts