Should the NFL fine Jeff Fisher???

Kixkahn

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":3aorwydv said:
I may get killed for saying this, but Jeff Fisher is a great coach and a class act. I find it hard to believe that he would have his guys intentionally going out there for blood. This was playoff atmosphere football and the Rams wanted this game. Things got chippy as they always do with the Rams trying to match not only the Seahawks on the field, but the 12's in the stands. That's all.

What did you expect Fisher to do once things spilled over? Run on the field and harness his 300 pound guys? What, take a timeout, put his guys on the bench and berate them on national TV? I don't think anyone would do that. Fisher doesn't show his guys up on the field for physical play, Pete wouldn't do that either. That's why both coaches get the very best out of their players.

Fisher doesn't deserve a fine, just as the inadvertent contact with an official doesn't deserve a fine. Half those penalties were BS. This is playoff football. It gets emotional. I think it was on the refs to control the game earlier, before it erupted like it did.
When Golden Tate was flagged for the taunting in the rams game earlier this season, he got a talking to from Pete. It shows him getting talked to. Fisher should have done something to get control but he didn't. He stood there like a lump on a log. I don't know about fines but it isn't the first time and it needs to be addressed in some way.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
Weird.

I was just about to come here and post about what a class act Fisher seemed to be.

During that string of personal fouls/ejection etc. he was visibly sick of his own players. When another player came off the field after a penalty he visibly turned his back on him.

And at the end of the game, when the Seahawks were taking a knee the first time, because there was still time on the clock and the Rams had time outs, some of the defenders went after Wilson, and Fisher looked like he laid into them hard on the sideline for doing it, even though by all rights he could have called time outs and gotten the ball back or at least forced us to keep playing, and risking injury.

Overall it looked like a young frustrated team angry to be finishing last place in a division full of other teams looking like 3 of the better teams in the NFL. that has to be super aggravating.

But the notion that Fisher, a veteran coach, should be fined for somehow inciting his players to hurt ours? I don't see it. Seeing his reactions actually elevated my respect for the guy quite a bit. His players put him in horrible situations and he handled them with as much grace as possible being on the receiving end of a 12th man barrage.

the idea of a 'fine' is absurd IMO.

RiverDog

Reaction score
CHawkTailGator":2e4ej9yb said:
I may get killed for saying this, but Jeff Fisher is a great coach and a class act. I find it hard to believe that he would have his guys intentionally going out there for blood. This was playoff atmosphere football and the Rams wanted this game. Things got chippy as they always do with the Rams trying to match not only the Seahawks on the field, but the 12's in the stands. That's all.

What did you expect Fisher to do once things spilled over? Run on the field and harness his 300 pound guys? What, take a timeout, put his guys on the bench and berate them on national TV? I don't think anyone would do that. Fisher doesn't show his guys up on the field for physical play, Pete wouldn't do that either. That's why both coaches get the very best out of their players.

Fisher doesn't deserve a fine, just as the inadvertent contact with an official doesn't deserve a fine. Half those penalties were BS. This is playoff football. It gets emotional. I think it was on the refs to control the game earlier, before it erupted like it did.

For my part, I am not advocating fining Fischer. But the league has to investigate. Way too many PF penalties, and there was a lot of payback talk before the game. They need to talk to the officiating crew, bring Fischer on the carpet and at least put him on notice. I don't care how much of a class act he is. He's still responsible for the actions of his players, and there was no doubt that the Rams were out of control.

chris98251

Reaction score
If you said it was an isolated incidence maybe, but Fishers teams have had a history of playing on the edge of dirty all the way back to the Oilers. Intimidating is one thing, playing to injure is another.

He could have called a time out for the sake of his own team to get things under control, he didn't. He had the time to do so going back to the first quarter and at some point during the Punt returns where all the flags were thrown. He could have pulled a guy from the game, he didn't, he could have had a short one on one with any one of them, but he didn't.

We have seen our players, our coaches and Pete involve themselves, Pete pulled Breno from the game a couple of times. Pull Marshawn for a few plays when he has got hot, did the same on defense with some of our guys.

So please don't patronize this fan base. Jeff may coach well but coaching also is being able to control your team and it's demeanor.

chawkjones

Reaction score
I am not sure what was said but at the end of the game Fisher went up to Russel W. and said something? sorry i have no way of providing video of it.

BlueTalon

Reaction score
Fans of other teams say a lot of the same stuff about the Seahawks and Pete "the Cheat" Carroll. This conversation wouldn't be happening if there wasn't a suck-@$$ officiating crew on the field.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
chawkjones":1l5uoa2b said:
I am not sure what was said but at the end of the game Fisher went up to Russel W. and said something? sorry i have no way of providing video of it.

Just the typical end of the game convo in the middle of the field after shaking hands. All coaches and players do it.

OP
OP
I

irocdave

Reaction score
Fisher should get a fine, but he wont. He will get a call from the league office as that performance was not what the NFL is selling. Yes, the Hawks were known for some of this kind of stuff at the beginning of last year and don't think for a minute that Kam that late hit on the RB wasn't part of the same thing. To get that many PF's on the same plays and pushing the weak officiating crew to the point they did isn't going to go over well with the NFL. Fisher "turning his back on players as they came off the field" just confirms that it came from the HC. When this stuff happened with the Hawks Pete would yank the offender, then have a chat with him. Fisher did none of that.

tmobilchawker79

Reaction score
Not trying to patronize, Chris. I don't think Jeff should be fined. Simple as that.

I refuse to believe that Jeff Fisher is a bush league coach.

The Radish

Reaction score
I talked to a bunch of sports fans at coffee this morning about the player getting tossed for hitting the refs hat.

They all agreed that any player hitting any part of any official in any sport should be shown the door. They all know its not allowed so why put themselves in a position for it to happen.

I happen to agree with this. I remember years ago Tom Lasorda telling the story that Leo Durocher told him. When going out to talk to an official put your hands in your back pockets so you won't do something accidental or dumb with them. He said it saved his ass many times.

Tom and many of the players that won 2 World Series for the Dodgers were bbqing and drinking beer at our house when they were a AAA team in Spokane. We got to hear lots of those kinds of storys. I used that stratagy many times when I was coaching fast pitch softball and agree it saved my ass more than once.

:les:

c00zie

Reaction score
It's been quite a long time since I've posted here, but I've been lurking in the shadows for quite a long time and wanted to weigh in on this one.

As a number of others have noted in this thread, Fisher's teams have always played this way so it's no surprise. I searched around and found this article by Sando that details penalties for unnecessary roughness, roughing the passer, personal fouls and unsportsmanlike conduct from 2001-2010. The Titans were #1 on that list as you might expect. I'm sure if he put together a chart by coach this would show up again. In fact, I'm going to hit him up on Twitter and see if he'll do it just out of curiosity.

The Seahawks under Carroll are definitely not choir boys, and I'm fine with that. However, Fisher's teams border on intentionally trying to injure guys (see Cortland Finnegan) and that is not cool.