Should we be concerned with defense?

MO Hawk

Reaction score
For the eternally optimistic, can we at least discuss this?

From John Clayton:

One of the downers for Pete Carroll is that he didn’t learn too much at safety. Bradley McDougald (knee), Delano Hill (hip), and Marquise Blair (hamstring) all missed some, or all, of offseason workouts. Free safety Tedric Thompson didn’t stand out during OTAs and minicamp. Shalom Luani ended up finishing the minicamp as a starter.

http://sports.mynorthwest.com/658200/cl ... offseason/

Lot's of change, especially D Line. Also at LB we have KJ with knee past knee issues, Kendricks off the field issue, a slew of injuries at DB (per Clayton's article). Wagner is in a contract situation, and right now he has a ton of leverage given the deal they gave Russ, and our weakness in depth at LB. Wagner is representing himself, last I heard, and the usually doesn't bode well for the current team.

I realized given NFL rules we can't really know what we have on defense until full contact is allowed at camp. I'm just a little anxious about our D right now and Clayton's article didn't help.

sutz

Reaction score
Concerned might be a bit strong. All in all, though, there have been substantial changes the past couple of years, so we'll have some youth and inexperience to deal with. It should be interesting.

Safety is a concern because nobody we know well has been practicing yet.

Linebacker, well Wags is in contract negotiations and while we're all hopeful it doesn't affect play there is always that chance. Right now, everybody is 'saying the right things,' but that's for public consumption. JS is pretty good at keeping things close to the vest. Wags hasn't gone public with any complaints yet, but his wanting to be the highest paid LB in the league sets a high bar.

DL, I don't think we're that bad off TBH. The additions are intriguing and the holdovers are another season older and more experienced.

Yeah, a lot of uncertainty and some concern. Should be interesting.

xray

Reaction score
I've been concerned with defense the last two seasons. Gr8 players hurt or gone. The last time we saw the defense was in the Dallas playoff game last year ; where they were the 17th ranked defense overall . They looked worse than 17th that day. That is the only point of reference I have about the defense. Many on defense are missing workouts etc. due to injuries already ; so we can't even see what they have going...so they are still a 17th ranked defense to me . That rank is obviously average middle of the league ; not bad but not good either. There is lots of room for improvement . IMO

Jville

Reaction score
Indeed, the use of the term learn probably should be clarified.

John Clayton uses it in the same sense that Pete Carroll uses it. They didn't have the opportunity to learn as much as they planed to learn about those players because of injury considerations and such. It just means they are running a little behind in familiarizing themselves with how the defensive backfield is going to fit together this season.

Also, there remains a no contact rule in place that must be adhered to given all their past transgressions in the eyes of the NFL. No contact favors the offense. And, the offense could very well come be ahead of the defense this preseason.

As I understand it, there is a lot they have yet to learn at nickle back. It's yet another area to learn about when they all reconvene for training camp.

Truthfully, I'm habitually concerned about them all making the right choices over these next 6 weeks.

ApnaHawk

Reaction score
Never be concerned about a Pete Carroll led defense. That’s his bread and butter.

toffee

Reaction score
Jville":ak3vqb5s said:
Indeed, the use of the term learn probably should be clarified.

John Clayton uses it in the same sense that Pete Carroll uses it. They didn't have the opportunity to learn as much as they planed to learn about those players because of injury considerations and such. It just means they are running a little behind in familiarizing themselves with how the defensive backfield is going to fit together this season.

Also, there remains a no contact rule in place that must be adhered to given all their past transgressions in the eyes of the NFL. No contact favors the offense. And, the offense could very well come be ahead of the defense this preseason.

As I understand it, there is a lot they have yet to learn at nickle back. It's yet another area to learn about when they all reconvene for training camp.

Truthfully, I'm habitually concerned about them all making the right choices over these next 6 weeks.

This!

Defense does concern me, especially the injuries. "IF" the regular season would to start tomorrow, we basically will field a defense with 2nd or 3rd teamers.

Own The West

Reaction score
ApnaHawk":13m97q3a said:
Never be concerned about a Pete Carroll led defense. That’s his bread and butter.

Totally agree. That and how many of these injuries would not be injuries if the season had started?

I’m always paranoid that we don’t have enough quality D linemen but other than the Rams last year, I don’t know who ever does.

chris98251

Reaction score
You mention concern for the defense, the area of concern being the secondary, if there is a coach that can make things work in the secondary we have him, they loaded up to find best fits they will shake it out, much like Tre Flowers last season we didn't know who was going to be the guy really he was a Safety that was being converted.

Seafan

Reaction score
Not a bit of concern. The team made the playoffs last year and look how much turnover and missed games they endured. Wagner and a healthy Wright with Reed and McDougald I'm feeling ok if not actually optimistic.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Fans shouldn't be pessimistic about the defense. Pete is a really good defensive coach and we have potential at every position.

But how can people not be at least concerned? Key injuries sabotage teams every year and most of the rookies with potential never develop it. At this time of year the uncertainty is enormous.

Even the group we look ridiculously stacked at (LB) has quite a few risks lurking just below the surface; Wagner's expiring contract, KJ's health, Kendricks legal situation, Barton/BBK/Quem's inexperience, etc. It could be the strongest LB corps in the league, or we could be looking back at it in November and wondering how it turned into a disaster.

Jville

Reaction score
I think there are defensive aspects to be curious about.

We have become accustom to seeing the 4-2-nickle as the most frequent personnel group. But looking at the depth at linebacker and (true) LEOs, I'm curious about our potential to see them experiment with various personnel combinations in a 3-3-nickle look during training camp.

mrt144

Reaction score
From a talent perspective, yes. From a coaching perspective. No.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":122vvyly said:

The talent is there, we have speed toughness and depth, what we don't have is house hold names and player experience, that's what bugs people is the ability to identify with players and positions.

toffee

Reaction score
We need Collier to perform above rookie average,
We need Ziggy to stay healthy.
We need breakout year for: Green, Shaquill. Poona
We need someone to step up as our starting FS and nickle
We need Flowers to avoid sophomore slum.

There, my wish list.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":1t4u2dc6 said:
mrt144":1t4u2dc6 said:

The talent is there, we have speed toughness and depth, what we don't have is house hold names and player experience, that's what bugs people is the ability to identify with players and positions.

This side steps the real differences and aptitude between the set of players that yielded our best defenses (and one of the best ever) and the current one. Yeah, there's potential there and that's good. But the potential will be realized in season and I am not at the point where I think "Top 5 D, easy peasy". It could happen and I hope it does but I'm reserved on it.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
We should only be concerned if these types of injuries persist into August and September.

Right now? Nope..........all Pete said is he didn't really have anything to say positive or negative from the safety position because most of the guys he expects to start come September didn't play hardly at all during OTA's.

AgentDib

Reaction score
mrt144":27wyyzzy said:
I am not at the point where I think "Top 5 D, easy peasy". It could happen and I hope it does but I'm reserved on it.
Top 5 defense is a great goal, but with the resources we are spending on the offense over the last two seasons that would be a very unexpected surprise. If it were to happen then the team overall would be dominant and right in that 14 win/#1 seed NFC conversation.

Right now I have the 2019 Seahawks looking a bit like the 2018 version, #5-#10 offense and #8-#14 defense.

chris98251

Reaction score
mrt144":3jwex3j0 said:
chris98251":3jwex3j0 said:
mrt144":3jwex3j0 said:

This side steps the real differences and aptitude between the set of players that yielded our best defenses (and one of the best ever) and the current one. Yeah, there's potential there and that's good. But the potential will be realized in season and I am not at the point where I think "Top 5 D, easy peasy". It could happen and I hope it does but I'm reserved on it.

Oh you want Guarantees on something that is about talent, opportunity, situations, luck and health and match ups.

All constantly moving, all needing experience and the correct call by a DC and the ability for all 11 guys to be on the same page and communicate.

You will never be happy until after the fact if that is your expectation, the NFL and each team is a constant moving target, if the answers were black and white and easily duplicated every team would look the same and do the same thing.

Good teams look for ways to take advantage of those teams that would rather duplicate and follow then innovate and lead like the Seahawks and Patriots.

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
should you be concerned? No. you should enjoy watching Pete and john Reload this beast. in 2 years they're going to be scary good again.

mrt144

Reaction score
chris98251":2aze5e3w said:
mrt144":2aze5e3w said:
chris98251":2aze5e3w said:
mrt144":2aze5e3w said:

Oh you want Guarantees on something that is about talent, opportunity, situations, luck and health and match ups.

All constantly moving, all needing experience and the correct call by a DC and the ability for all 11 guys to be on the same page and communicate.

You will never be happy until after the fact if that is your expectation, the NFL and each team is a constant moving target, if the answers were black and white and easily duplicated every team would look the same and do the same thing.

Good teams look for ways to take advantage of those teams that would rather duplicate and follow then innovate and lead like the Seahawks and Patriots.

I'm sorry that I need something, like meaningful games played to go on to form opinions. Must be nice not to need that.