With the first pick we should pick a (position)

JayhawkMike

Reaction score
With our first pick, whether 9th or lower, what Position should we draft?

I’m hoping for EDGE and if not OL. one of those two please.

NOT CB or QB (unless it’s Willis). Not Safety or LB. A ready to start on Day 1 player. Not the “miss half the first year” or “depth” BS pick.

Hyak

Reaction score
I think you pick the best player on the board at Edge, LT, or CB. I guess they could go WR if the plan is to flip DK. Over drafting a QB IMO would be a big mistake.

seabowl

Reaction score
Definitely not a qb. OL or Edge
I’ve seen some say edge. They already have Taylor and the guy they just picked up from the Chargers. The interior DL needs a star.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
I'm with Rob Staton... EDGE if either Thibodeaux or Jermaine Johnson is there. Possibly CB Stingley Jr. is they aren't. And move down and draft OT if none of the above is still on the board.

Let's get back as close as possible to the LoB defense in 2013.

Pressure, pressure and more pressure.

Throwdown

Reaction score
give this team some damn talent idc what position. We have needs everywhere except safety and tight end

jammerhawk

Reaction score
I believe for once opportunity may meet need with this early pick.

It has been a very long time since there were as many hugely athletic and talented edge rushers in a draft. Rob Statton is right edge rusher would be my choice. It is possible though that Johnson might be available after pick 9, this could allow JS to trade back in the draft to acquire more early picks. Let’s hope he doesn’t try to be too cute in that regard and miss a targeted player.

Unfortunately the team needs a quality OT or two and haven’t been active in that regard so far in FA. I do hope the team focuses upon D early and acquires a few game wreckers.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
We currently have 5 picks for the top 110 players available. I do not see any reason to play cutesy and trade up or down. I also do not agree with BPA over NEED. Plug the holes with talent, THEN work at improving on that. We have pretty much the same draft opportunity next year, so in two years we ought to be in pretty good shape.

James in PA

Reaction score
I know you only asked for position, but Im going to go one better and name specific players. I will go through the roof if we don't come away with one of these players:

Aidan Hutchinson (Edge) - I know he'll be gone, but I still wanted to include him.

Travon Walker (Edge) - Another one who will be long gone, but still.

Kayvon Thibodeaux (Edge)

Sauce Gardner (CB) - We could probably find a good corner later in the draft, but this kid has a chance to be a true shut-down.

Derek Stingley (CB) - Same reasoning as Gardner

Ickey Ekwonu (OT)

Evan Neal (OT)

Jermaine Johnson (Edge)

Charles Cross (OT)

Malik Willis (QB) - I know this one is a bit controversial given our other needs, but that high ceiling is tempting.

OK Pete and John, I just named 10 players. You are picking at #9. NO EXCUSES not to come away with one of these guys! NO TRADE-DOWNS WITH YOUR FIRST PICK!!!!!

AgentDib

Reaction score
A few of you are spending too much time on looking at only the top players rather than at the wealth of promising talent this year stretching well into day 2.

The 2019 draft is now three years in the past and so we can start to get a good feel for how the picks are turning out. Take a look at the value for each pick (rich hill pick chart), and how the players at the pick have produced so far (PFR wAV). Kyler Murray has warranted the #1 pick but after him it looks pretty flat (random) through around pick #80. The fourth overall pick (Ferrell) has produced less than the average 2nd round pick for example, and way less than their 4th round pick (Crosby) who is the outlier on the chart at #106, despite costing 15x more draft capital.

1xxxEfc

All those dots above the orange line are arguments for trading down in the draft and picking up more lottery tickets. We don't know who the steals in rounds 2 and 3 are going to be yet, but we can be confident there are going to be a lot of them. The only limit to trading down should be the number of spaces we have on our team for rookies, and in my view that is a very large number this season.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
I know you only asked for position, but Im going to go one better and name specific players. I will go through the roof if we don't come away with one of these players:

Aidan Hutchinson (Edge) - I know he'll be gone, but I still wanted to include him.

Travon Walker (Edge) - Another one who will be long gone, but still.

Kayvon Thibodeaux (Edge)

Sauce Gardner (CB) - We could probably find a good corner later in the draft, but this kid has a chance to be a true shut-down.

Derek Stingley (CB) - Same reasoning as Gardner

Ickey Ekwonu (OT)

Evan Neal (OT)

Jermaine Johnson (Edge)

Charles Cross (OT)

Malik Willis (QB) - I know this one is a bit controversial given our other needs, but that high ceiling is tempting.

OK Pete and John, I just named 10 players. You are picking at #9. NO EXCUSES not to come away with one of these guys! NO TRADE-DOWNS WITH YOUR FIRST PICK!!!!!
The meltdowns are already gearing up to be fairly promising in nature.

Maelstrom787

Reaction score
This thread is worrying to me, philosophically. We're regressing to simply desiring hole-plugs at 9? Drafting for need on a depleted roster?

C'mon. This is the basis for the future here. Mere positional need at this stage simply can't be the primary lens through which we're sorting prospective picks.

Talent. Identity. Future. That needs to be the focus. This team hasn't had a top-10 pick in 12 years. This is where you try to find a cornerstone, or extract enough value from the pick to set up a new foundation. Not a "welllll we don't really need that spot according to -source-."

I'm fine with a non-monstrous trade-down. All about the value. They're absolutely not gonna trade out of blue-chip range, though.