Should we keep Jeremy Lane?

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Mojambo":20e9ymfm said:
Do people just not understand how salary works in the NFL today? There is no benefit to cutting Jeremy Lane.

I'm sure they'll give him plenty of competition for his spot, but he'll be on the roster.

Yes, most don't understand it.

Lane had a bad year. In our system though, he's passable depth. If we add another rookie to go along with Elliott, that helps cap wise. Even if that rookie starts and is an upgrade, it's not different cap wise than if Lane starts and a rookie is riding pine.

Same goes for Kearse. If Lockett or Richardson is starting, it's no different cap wise.

Lane/Shead and Kearse's positions in terms of playing time could be usurped by rookies. It won't matter to the cap one way or another.

Hedge the possibility that the bad seasons for Lane and Kearse are aberrations by adding talent. If they were aberrations then they'll be worth the deals in 2017. If not, then Seattle has the out option in 2018, with talent on the roster capable of being elevated.

This is a draft that will be very strong at DB, and has some real quality in the 20-75 range at WR.

Seattle also has the ability to elevate Richardson on the last year of his rookie deal. If he builds on what we saw to end the season -- Kearse could be relegated to a lesser role without adding anyone via the draft.

BullHawk33

Reaction score
Looking at some top 50 projections for the upcoming draft, there are a lot of cornerbacks on the list. Dropping him prior to the 5th may mean we are going after one of them. I'm not sure Pete or John would be all that keen on signalling that direction if there isn't some huge benefit in dead money.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Yup, go ahead and cut him.

Who are we replacing him with again ?

People just screaming to cut guys have no idea about the depth, or lack thereof on our team.

Cut Lane. Sure, draft a CB. OOps ! Shead is injured. Ok, so play Elliot ? Hmmm, who else do we have after that ? No one? Doh, ok draft another guy, then you can cut Lane AND Shead !

Two rookie CB's are going to be better than Shead ?

Look at trends and history. Lane, Shead, Maxwell, etc. none of them came in and took a starting spot right away. The way Pete teaches playing CB, it takes at least a year and probably 2 to be good at it. You're not drafting guys to come in and save your franchise right away. It's never happened and I don't see it starting now.

captSE

Reaction score
Lane. He is one of those guys who would benefit from stickum placed on the back of his helmet since he has trouble looking for the ball.

Largent80

Reaction score
He played like a sack of manure this year and that is eyebrow raising because players usually play out of their minds in a contract year.

But this guy was a lowlight reel. His play was hideous. Don't know what else to say excepy his price tag vs. performance do NOT match.

OP
OP
seahawkfreak

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Mojambo":2ttlxux2 said:
Do people just not understand how salary works in the NFL today? There is no benefit to cutting Jeremy Lane.

I'm sure they'll give him plenty of competition for his spot, but he'll be on the roster.

Not sure I understand the condescension. The tweet clearly states if he is on the roster after February 5th his 4million for 2017 is guaranteed. I read Over the Cap as well, just because it says Lane's 4mil is guaranteed now doesn't mean they got it right.

What am I or the tweet missing? If his guaranteed money isn't guaranteed yet, how do we lose money?

HawkGA

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":19oau26z said:
Mojambo":19oau26z said:

Not sure I understand the condescension. The tweet clearly states if he is on the roster after February 5th his 4million for 2017 is guaranteed. I read Over the Cap as well, just because it says Lane's 4mil is guaranteed now doesn't mean they got it right.

What am I or the tweet missing? If his guaranteed money isn't guaranteed yet, how do we lose money?

I was actually just wondering this myself as I re-read the thread. Are we sure we are right about the dead money? I still don't see him getting cut simply because of depth issues but the financial side of it could certainly be different than is being represented here.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
HawkGA":34yx7l1u said:
SpokaneHawks":34yx7l1u said:
Lane, Kearse, and Haushka...........buh, bye! Read into what Pete is actually saying, that Lane missed some opportunities with tackling. Pete preaches tackling and Lane misses tackles, lots of them! Cut our losses and find the next Sherman!

How about find the next Sherman and then cut your losses?

Lane may get cut during preseason next year (though I doubt it) but it won't happen unless or until there has been probably at least 2 players rise up and play better.
From http://seahawksdraftblog.com

— The more you watch of Budda Baker, the more impressive he is. He can be another Tyrann Mathieu at the next level. His ability to play in space, read/react and fly to the ball could push him into the top-20. With teams increasingly playing in nickel, you can leave him on the field in any situation. He’s a roaming hybrid. If you want him to cover the slot, attack the LOS or blitz he can do it all. He’s a terrific hitter for his size.

— Baker also plays like a Seahawk, with great intensity and athleticism. I suspect he could be on Seattle’s radar as a high priority. He impacts games. When you watch Elijah Qualls, Kevin King, Sidney Jones — he flashes every time, even when you’re not focusing on him. It is a really deep cornerback class — but Baker might be the most impactful player the Seahawks could draft if he’s around at #26.

HawkGA

Reaction score
Okay, rather than just find, how about "get on the roster"?

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Mojambo":38ai3u8e said:

Well we already have a thread comparing a league with no salary cap to the NFL -- so yeah, I think there is something to the first part of your post :D

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":2mn87rcu said:
Mojambo":2mn87rcu said:

Because of guaranteed money and the BONUS money he received that is spread out over the years. That is why I posted $7.75 M in dead cap that he will cost us to release TODAY. All that saves is next years salary (and then we have to pay someone else to step in ALSO), we still lose $7.75M in cap money thats ALREADY paid.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jeremy-lane-9993/

OP
OP
seahawkfreak

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
Seymour":2gggrt7w said:
seahawkfreak":2gggrt7w said:
Mojambo":2gggrt7w said:

Because of the BONUS money he received that is spread out over the years. That is why I posted $7.75 M in dead cap that he will cost us to release TODAY. All that saves is next years salary (and then we have to pay someone else to step in ALSO), we still lose $7.75M in cap money thats ALREADY paid.

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jeremy-lane-9993/

Ok this explains it much better [urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jeremy-lane-9993/[/urltargetblank]. Over the Cap doesn't show any of this. Don't even know what the relevance of the tweet is now.

Seymour

Reaction score
seahawkfreak":w4yeyvov said:
Ok this explains it much better [urltargetblank]http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/seattle-seahawks/jeremy-lane-9993/[/urltargetblank]. Over the Cap doesn't show any of this. Don't even know what the relevance of the tweet is now.

That is what we are saying. It's not a real option, and it's pretty irrelevant. We save next years salary yes, but you need to look deeper into the contract and see that ultimately we really only save about $1.5 M on next years cap (then keep paying 2 more years of dead cap $$) which will not even be close to cover a replacement. That is the root of my "bigger fish to fry" comment.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Based on his play alone, he needs to be gone. Won't happen with dead money cap issues (if cut) and depth issues.

Scorpion05

Reaction score
I want us to tread carefully. We were still a top 5 defense. We replace Browner and Maxwell, because we were so convinced they were worthless on our defense. I don't want us to make the same mistake

Josea16

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":234ftr4x said:
Based on his play alone, he needs to be gone. Won't happen with dead money cap issues (if cut) and depth issues.
He definitely underperformed but that can change and it's a non- starter for the reasons you list anyway. I think we should be careful about wanting to dump him in any case. Cornerbacks get paid for a reason and our preferences aren't easily found especially now with teams like Atlanta basically copying us.

rcaido

Reaction score
Lane was the weakest link this year, not as bad as Williams & Simon but pretty close. We should have kept Burley for depth. Is he still available?

Maybe we can get Walter Thurmond out of retirement. I know he was injury prone but he played great when he was on the field.

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
rcaido":2xd7hw2v said:
Lane was the weakest link this year, not as bad as Williams & Simon but pretty close. We should have kept Burley for depth. Is he still available?

Maybe we can get Walter Thurmond out of retirement. I know he was injury prone but he played great when he was on the field.
Unless we can somehow find a better CB then Lane looks to be the starter opposite Sherm starting next year, with Shead out all of TC & preseason, and until maybe week 2 or 3 if ever.

They may be high on Thorpe or another development player but I bet they draft 'need' this year, and foremost in the secondary. Fingers crossed they can solve both RCB and Nickel.