Should we keep Jeremy Lane?

Largent80

Reaction score
I thought he played terrible at least 50% of his snaps.

All he has to do in improve at least 25% and that would make a huge difference on 3rd downs.

If he can do better that that then we will have a pretty good slot CB.

sondevil89

Reaction score
There's always going to be over-valued and under-valued contracts, this just boils down to someone beating him out for his position.

Sparkchaser737

Reaction score
rcaido":8bn94kxh said:
Lane was the weakest link this year, not as bad as Williams & Simon but pretty close. We should have kept Burley for depth. Is he still available?

Maybe we can get Walter Thurmond out of retirement. I know he was injury prone but he played great when he was on the field.
Lane sucked mostly, but I think the decline in the DLine was the demise of the Seahawks defense this year which exposed the secondary. Especially after ET went down.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":2qfiqqwx said:
I want us to tread carefully. We were still a top 5 defense. We replace Browner and Maxwell, because we were so convinced they were worthless on our defense. I don't want us to make the same mistake

This isn't true.

The reality is, as the roster matures, you have to pick and choose who you pay. All good teams eventually have to let good players go. Browner was a good example (although part of it was due to suspension issues). Maxwell -- there was no way he was worth his market value.

Shead and Lane were the next guys on the treadmill. Lane underperformed and it's not a given if last year was an anomaly or a sign of what we can expect in the future. He had a track record for us of playing better. But it's important to add a hedge (and a guy on the treadmill able to replace him when his dead money expires) this year.

Overall, I do think the 2nd corner role has to perform better. Shead was good, but he wasn't a playmaker. Not a player who could flip the field or make good on the number of targets his way. That's not a knock on him, as he's never been that kind of player before.

Shead has value. Versatile and well versed in the system. But he's ideally a backup/depth/rotation guy. Not a featured starter. It's no sin on his part. Nor is he worthless. Just that his limitations allow for teams to avoid our playmakers we do have in the secondary. Maxwell had that ability for us to make game altering plays. It's why he was paid almost as much as Sherman on the open market.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Sparkchaser737":36y0lame said:
rcaido":36y0lame said:
Lane was the weakest link this year, not as bad as Williams & Simon but pretty close. We should have kept Burley for depth. Is he still available?

Maybe we can get Walter Thurmond out of retirement. I know he was injury prone but he played great when he was on the field.
Lane sucked mostly, but I think the decline in the DLine was the demise of the Seahawks defense this year which exposed the secondary. Especially after ET went down.

Certainly it's all interconnected...............but the indictment here is on Pete and John for not restocking the CB shelves the past 2-3 years, and/or not successfully developing the next crop of CB's.

Tye Smith, Ryan Murphy, Tharold Simon, Eric Pinkins, Winston Guy.

Yes both Shead and Lane have been mild success stories, but nowhere near the success rate of Kam, Maxwell and Sherman for mining that middle to late round gold.

But truthfully you could say that for most of the position groups now, O-line, D-line, RB, etc.

So really the question is have Pete and John lost their fastball when it comes to evaluating and/or development? Cause the first 2-3 years of their tenure their hit rate was #1 in the league, now it's towards the bottom, in just about every position group.

sondevil89

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":31z5378r said:
Scorpion05":31z5378r said:
I want us to tread carefully. We were still a top 5 defense. We replace Browner and Maxwell, because we were so convinced they were worthless on our defense. I don't want us to make the same mistake

This isn't true.

The reality is, as the roster matures, you have to pick and choose who you pay. All good teams eventually have to let good players go. Browner was a good example (although part of it was due to suspension issues). Maxwell -- there was no way he was worth his market value.

Shead and Lane were the next guys on the treadmill. Lane underperformed and it's not a given if last year was an anomaly or a sign of what we can expect in the future. He had a track record for us of playing better. But it's important to add a hedge (and a guy on the treadmill able to replace him when his dead money expires) this year.

Overall, I do think the 2nd corner role has to perform better. Shead was good, but he wasn't a playmaker. Not a player who could flip the field or make good on the number of targets his way. That's not a knock on him, as he's never been that kind of player before.

Shead has value. Versatile and well versed in the system. But he's ideally a backup/depth/rotation guy. Not a featured starter. It's no sin on his part. Nor is he worthless. Just that his limitations allow for teams to avoid our playmakers we do have in the secondary. Maxwell had that ability for us to make game altering plays. It's why he was paid almost as much as Sherman on the open market.

This^^^...and Lane was absolutely killed by the bigger physical receivers that are currently being employed out of the slot. If we could get another starting CB maybe we could use more of the Big Nickel D.

seahawks08

Reaction score
In our current roster, we don't have a choice, as we have no depth in CB and he can play all those positions. I am hoping he had a little bit of a down year but he can still run and has the speed, just need to train and keep his body in shape to come out of all the injuries he had from two years ago.

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Lane was trash this year plain and simple

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk