.SI Article....The turmoil in Seattle..any truth?

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
That defense is gone.

What made the team work was the combination of that Defense, Lynch and Wilson. Now we have to find a new way to make it work.

Before, the Defense was forced to carry the team while the offense did little for 3 quarters a game. That won't be an option either. So this team is going to have to find another way to win, and that depends on Wilson being dependable. He isn't now.

He can be counted on for spectacular comebacks. And you can count on 1-2 games a year where he shows what he is capable of (that Steelers game or last year the Texans game). But you cannot count on consistent production and lately, you cannot count on any kind of production in the playoffs. Most of that is probably the coaching, which changed. So there is hope.

But regardless, Wilson was incredible as a rookie in the playoffs and his first run to the SB he was spectacular. He turned to trash in the playoffs (outside of the wildcard games) since and while there are reasons for it - it has to change.

So while we can all be upset at Sherman, or McDaniel or 'whiners' - this is the chance for Wilson to show that he can be an Elite QB consistently and carry this team consistently AS ITS STAR instead of depending on the defense to carry it and bail him out constantly.

That Defense is gone. He has to earn it now.

JumpmanXhawk

Reaction score
So is Wilson above criticism? Man at some point when you have multiple people saying the same thing maybe the things they are saying have some truth to them.

HansGruber

Reaction score
Disappointing to read about so many selfish players on defense. They clearly had an ego problem.

The loss in SB49 could just as easily be placed squarely on the back of the defense as it could offense. Sorry guys, but Brady dissected that secondary like a masterful surgeon. You can't talk crap when you were personally responsible for giving up so many yards and crapping out in the second half, when the team clearly needed the defense to step up.

Their BS with Wilson is tiresome. These guys were all either injured or underperforming last season, and Wilson was literally the only thing on the team working. He carried that offense single handed and put us in position for a 12-4 season.

Without Lynch. Without the LOB. Without any of the names they mention as being more important than Wilson. If we had an actual kicker, Wilson would have carried this team on his back, entirely by himself, into the playoffs.

That's why Seattle let you bums go. That's why they're building around Wilson. We all saw what happened last year when the defense just couldn't get it done. It was time to make the change and I applaud it.

And EFF any of these guys talking trash about Russell Wilson. There's a reason he's in the future plans and they're not. Just sour grapes here

Vesuve

Reaction score
HansGruber":3n2v3bqm said:
Disappointing to read about so many selfish players on defense. They clearly had an ego problem.

And they are not on the team anymore.

They've made it a B-grade soap opera re-run.

As PC said, move forward.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
JumpmanXhawk":ze8v40ac said:
So is Wilson above criticism? Man at some point when you have multiple people saying the same thing maybe the things they are saying have some truth to them.
Or maybe you have a few jealous whiny crybabies who want the whole credit and none of the blame.

anonFAFA

Reaction score
TwistedHusky":3ov31n05 said:
So complain about the defense all you want and try to heap accolades on Wilson if you feel he deserves them (certainly in the regular season he does...but he has pretty much been hot garbage in the playoffs but for the first run to the SB and the missed run before that. He was amazing in those. Pretty much terrible since unfortunately.

Russell deserves accolades the same way the defense deserves accolades. Russell threw the pick. He deserves some blame. The defense blew a 10 point lead. They deserve some blame for that. The point is, to single someone out for a loss is something FANS do. Not pro-football players who know better than anyone that it's a team game and there is never one single point of failure. Dwelling on that is destructive and there is good reason why Pete preaches the now and what you can control in the future. It's good advice not only for the Seahawks, but for everyone.

Year of The Hawk

Reaction score
If you go around life looking at what other people have and compare them to the things you don't you will always be disappointed. Being upset about how another player is treated is very immature. I think Pete said it in his presser today that he needs to emphasis the "here and now" with his players. In other words focus on yourself and what you are doing and stop looking around.

It should have no relevance to anyone on the defense how Russell is treated. And the reality is yes the QB is treated better. They are paid more, harder to find (a franchise QB) and a more vital part of the team than any other player. If you have not figured that part out by now then you never will.

I cna understand why the defense did get mad when they would make stop after stop and the offense would 3 and out over and over. It sucks but so what. Get over it and just keep doing what you do. As good as the defesse was they were not perfect. Why not focus on yourself rather than what you can't control.

Does anyone think throwing a fit and whining about these things was going to do anything other than make things worse?

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
anonFAFA":1b7bo2ge said:
TwistedHusky":1b7bo2ge said:
So complain about the defense all you want and try to heap accolades on Wilson if you feel he deserves them (certainly in the regular season he does...but he has pretty much been hot garbage in the playoffs but for the first run to the SB and the missed run before that. He was amazing in those. Pretty much terrible since unfortunately.

Russell deserves accolades the same way the defense deserves accolades. Russell threw the pick. He deserves some blame. The defense blew a 10 point lead. They deserve some blame for that. The point is, to single someone out for a loss is something FANS do. Not pro-football players who know better than anyone that it's a team game and there is never one single point of failure. Dwelling on that is destructive and there is good reason why Pete preaches the now and what you can control in the future. It's good advice not only for the Seahawks, but for everyone.

Exactly.
Wilson was hot garbage?LOL..
People can make up lies all they want but it's not like Kam threw to Sherm to set up our final scoring opportunity.
We never get that chance to win without Wilson's final drive. New England doesn't take the lead if the great LOB wasn't hemorrhaging. The Pick doesn't happen if the Patriots never had former LOB Browner who identified and directed how to defend the play.
All the details is what made that game so interesting and suspenseful--One of the greatest NFL games. To bad someone had to lose and unfortunately we had so many poor losers who couldnt move on.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
When this ‘national story’ fails to attract sufficient clicks expect more of the same from other butt hurt ex-Seahawks as the rear view mirror is gazed at with bitter negativity. Either that or Wilson is too short, not black enough or some other rubbish.

Reality is the team has moved in a new direction, again. Lessons were learned and with some luck hopefully the mistakes made won’t be repeated. The dynasty that never was BS fails to take into consideration just how good the team’s record was and how different it was from the historical record of the team. Flawed or not this front office has done things better than they have ever been done before here.

Meanwhile the players that are gone for whatever reason, as excellent as several of them were at times, have their audiences as they did here and are trying to salve their butt hurt reputations from being released, or eliminated from the team as malcontents. Sometimes it is in fact addition by subtraction.

The article is backward looking and we aren’t going that way.

joeseahawks

Reaction score
The article is dumb, lazy and for clickbait. From the school of people who only want to see Pete and the Hawks fail. And I can name the all: Jason FATlock, Stephen A, Peter King, ... etc. Screw them all.

Shanegotyou11

Reaction score
Its what some ppl including me knew after SB 49 that it was over. I think if we won that we would of won one more as well.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If I were a moderator i'd lock every post on this topic instantly. That was 4 years it doesn't mean anything in 2018.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If I were a moderator i'd lock every post on this topic instantly. That was 4 years it doesn't mean anything in 2018.

Jac

Reaction score
Carroll's response. You don't even need to read between the lines to see that Carroll is saying the same thing that others in this thread have been. It's a hit piece released at a time designed to distract. Again, I just have a feeling that this type of stuff is going to galvanize the "college vibe" we've recaptured.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/carroll-do ... --nfl.html

"I addressed it, just the media and the impact of the media and how they can factor in if you let it," Carroll said. "With all the hype that comes in this first week, just look at the pomp and all the circumstance. ...There's so much lead-in and so much buildup, that there's a lot going on and we have to deal with it really well whatever it is and whatever form it comes in.

Tusc2000

Reaction score
Good lord. The dynasty didn't end because the D was jealous of Russ.

It ended the way most NFL "dynasties" end, through injuries, players aging out, salary cap limits, and some poor personnel decisions.

Injuries to Marshawn (2015) and Rawls (2015-16) and Chris Carson (2017). ended our power running game. Bringing in Lacy was a stupid decision from Day 1 and everyone (except Pete and John) knew it.

Injuries to Earl (2016) and Sherman and Kam (2017) ended the LOB.

I will bet the ranch that few if any of our former stars perform at a high level this year with other teams. The first insight is to look at Michael Bennett in Philly. Dude can't even crack the starting lineup. The Michael Bennett of 2-3 years ago is gone. He's gotten old. Same with Sherman, Irvin et al. This is what happens in the NFL. Late 20s is often the age to plan for impending retirement. One injury, and you're just not the same.

That Pete and John chose to spend their $$$ of Russ and the D was not necessarily a bad one. You have to make those tough calls with salary cap requirements. The whole system is designed to prevent long-term dynasties.

But some of the other management decisions were God-awful, giving up an all-pro center for an all-pro TE didn't work because we needed a good center more than a good TE. Dumping Hauscheka for Walsh was another grease-fire that didn't need to happen. Blair Walsh. We all knew from the start that that was just a really weird move -- and it sure played out that way.

The great drafts of 2010 through 2013 could not be sustained because after a few years, Pete's unique insight into college talent came to an end. The drafts of the past 3 years revealed a disturbing inability to assess young talent.

The last point, Pete's unwillingness to make the tough decision and dump poor assistants, Cable and Bevell, is something lots of HCs can't do properly. The coaches work closely and they become more than mere employees. When their poor performance was repeatedly demonstrated, Pete just couldn't cut the cord when he needed to. He was too late.

And there is nothing worse than being too late.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Tusc2000":1kg1xwf9 said:

It ended the way most NFL "dynasties" end, through injuries, players aging out, salary cap limits, and some poor personnel decisions.

Injuries to Marshawn (2015) and Rawls (2015-16) and Chris Carson (2017). ended our power running game. Bringing in Lacy was a stupid decision from Day 1 and everyone (except Pete and John) knew it.

Injuries to Earl (2016) and Sherman and Kam (2017) ended the LOB.

I will bet the ranch that few if any of our former stars perform at a high level this year with other teams. The first insight is to look at Michael Bennett in Philly. Dude can't even crack the starting lineup. The Michael Bennett of 2-3 years ago is gone. He's gotten old. Same with Sherman, Irvin et al. This is what happens in the NFL. Late 20s is often the age to plan for impending retirement. One injury, and you're just not the same.

That Pete and John chose to spend their $$$ of Russ and the D was not necessarily a bad one. You have to make those tough calls with salary cap requirements. The whole system is designed to prevent long-term dynasties.

But some of the other management decisions were God-awful, giving up an all-pro center for an all-pro TE didn't work because we needed a good center more than a good TE. Dumping Hauscheka for Walsh was another grease-fire that didn't need to happen. Blair Walsh. We all knew from the start that that was just a really weird move -- and it sure played out that way.

The great drafts of 2010 through 2013 could not be sustained because after a few years, Pete's unique insight into college talent came to an end. The drafts of the past 3 years revealed a disturbing inability to assess young talent.

The last point, Pete's unwillingness to make the tough decision and dump poor assistants, Cable and Bevell, is something lots of HCs can't do properly. The coaches work closely and they become more than mere employees. When their poor performance was repeatedly demonstrated, Pete just couldn't cut the cord when he needed to. He was too late.

And there is nothing worse than being too late
What about Never?
Jk. Nice post. :2thumbs:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
ivotuk":1ut0x11a said:
What a crock of shit. "The Quarterback received special treatment." When has this NOT been true?

What Quarterback doesn't receive special treatment? EVERY Quarterback in the NFL is treated differently than any other player in the NFL. They must think Tom Brady is treated like every player on the rest of the Patriots.

Because the Defense ate up MOST of the cap, they were expected to carry the team. Because the Defense ate up MOST of the cap, there was no money let over for the offensive line. So Pete tried to make up for the difference by paying one offensive Superstar, hoping that would help the offense score.

The Defense has ZERO room to cry about the offense. In fact, we lost our first 2 games, and home field advantage because a certain defensive player held out while his team mates kept saying, "Kam! Come back!"

Here's and common sense. Whether it's Offense or Defense, when one side of the team has all the Superstars, and receives the Lions Share of the money, they are supposed to carry the team.

We don't hear Drew Brees bitching about the crappy defenses he's played with.

I guess defensive players are whinier than offensive players?

This article lacks facts and is just another shot at the Seahawks who, as a small market team, are an easy target.

This is an excellent post and summary of the team.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1eozhd2v said:
Its what some ppl including me knew after SB 49 that it was over. I think if we won that we would of won one more as well.

Why would sneaking a win in that Super Bowl have changed the fortunes of the team moving forward? It was still unbalanced.

It took a stroke of great fortune to be in that Super Bowl, and more so to be on the 2 yard line in the Super Bowl with a chance to win. But losing somehow kept them from winning more? I dont see that. The team's fragility was there for all to see, and for all the reasons posted on here.

Jac

Reaction score
Tusc2000":2mvxr5wm said:

Totally agreed. You could probably write a similar story about the Panthers. Why didn't that team turn into a dynasty? I mean Kelvin Benjamin actually called out Newton's inaccuracy this offseason, and had a bit of a pre-game incident this preseason.

Dumping Hauscheka for Walsh was another grease-fire that didn't need to happen. Blair Walsh. We all knew from the start that that was just a really weird move -- and it sure played out that way.

I think this really is a case of Pete's hubris. I'm pretty sure 100% of the posters here thought that this was a terrible move. I'm sure Pete must have been thinking "I can re-build anybody with positive thinking" and he couldn't wait to tell the world after the season played out. However, I also think Walsh's spectacular failure also helped reform the idea that they weren't going to "carry" anybody anymore.

Something did change over the last couple of years, though. I think the last two drafts have been terrific. They've collected a core of players on offense, defense, and special teams who will be the backbone of this team over the next several years. One more draft like this, and they're going to be a really stocked team.

pittpnthrs

Reaction score
Uncle Si":359xp2hu said:
Shanegotyou11":359xp2hu said:

Why would sneaking a win in that Super Bowl have changed the fortunes of the team moving forward? It was still unbalanced.

Because a win would have eliminated the ill feelings the players had. The players wouldnt have been decimated by the worst call in football history. Carrolls decision to keep Bevell and Cable for as long as he did would be overlooked. A win would have had the entire team buying in and believing in the philosophy instead of rolling their eyes. Yeah, a win would have done wonders, but instead we got a play that was so bad that it destroyed the team.

Latest posts