.SI Article....The turmoil in Seattle..any truth?

hawknation2018

Reaction score
mrt144":1ozvp1zu said:
hawknation2018":1ozvp1zu said:
mrt144":1ozvp1zu said:
Thunderhawk":1ozvp1zu said:
After reading this "article" one troubling subtext emerges: Percy Harvin's bigoted accusation that "Russell isn't black enough" is still a factor for some players. There is no other logical reason that I can fathom for demonizing a Top 5 Pro Bowl QB than pure visceral prejudice.

Wilson has had the crap beaten out of him behind a terrible offensive line without once calling them out, yet made no excuses and still played at an elite level. How can you possibly resent him as a player apart from disliking his unconventional personality? It's incredible that in this so called 'age of inclusiveness' someone like Russ so deeply threatens certain players becaue he acts "too white" - whatever that means. He has been exemplary on and off the field and his teammates should recognize how vital he is to their success, but instead they seem preoccupied with some kind of racial litmus test. It's absurd.

And to those that think this is a misreading of the article, please present an alternate theory as to why Russell Wilson seems so reviled by some of his teammates despite being a borderline MVP candidate every year?

Read what Avril said. Does Avril seem like a dude with an axe to grind? He perceived a shift in treatment. Bennett and Sherman almost came to blows over it. I mean there is probably some of that Billy Paul song knocking around in the heads but that's a small thing that get's amplified by other things. One see's preferential treatment one starts looking at other things that validate that and seem like proximate causes of that treatment.

As I understood it, Avril does not feel that Russell Wilson was treated with any more preference than any other franchise QB.

He’s a defensive guy, but he’s a bit more even keeled and doesn’t have an interest in sabotaging the current team, like the 49ers/John Lynch/Richard Sherman/anonymous sources do.

And thats the point of distinction, isnt it? Sherman resented the shift because to him, even a franchise QB should be in the trenches getting crap on them. Avril and Bennett looked at the structural picture of the NFL and were like "yup, thats how it goes, deal with it"

Bennett wasn’t always like that. There is always some element of resentment between the offense and defense.

As for why this is being dug up (again), I believe there are interested parties involved (most likely, Richard Sherman) who want the team to be distracted by idiotic, re-hashed negativity.

I predict Sherman will never hate Russell Wilson more than when he gets shredded by him this year.

hgwellz12

Reaction score
In a lofty place tanglin' with Satan over history.
Scorpion05":1poda81z said:
TreeRon":1poda81z said:
Sgt. Largent":1poda81z said:
As much as I think Brock Huard is the broiest bro that ever bro'd in Brotown, he said this morning after Brock and Salk interviewed the author of this article that he relates to what Russell's going through not really fitting in with his teammates.

Remember, most of the team leaders, especially on the defensive side of the ball were self admitted "dogs." Meaning tough, from the streets, raw, real, and downright thuggish. Again, self admitted.

In comes a QB that came from an affluent area, didn't drink, talked about abstaining from sex before marriage. Russell was an odd dude to all these guys.

Brock said he went through some of the same stuff, being the coach's son, Christian, etc. all the way through college.

So when there's even a little favoritism, perceived or real? Combine that with one of the worst losses in SB history? How could the whole thing NOT implode?

You put this in a way I could not (or at least Brock did). Your second paragraph alludes to the fact that had Wilson NOT been black, there'd been less of a problem.

Not to derail the thread, but I personally believe that factors in. It reminds me of Donovan McNabb and RG3. Players felt like those QBs weren't "one of the guys" and were too buddy buddy with the front office. The whole Russell not being "black enough" comments is what seals it for me.

Then you have Qbs like Vick and Cam, who were seen as more "relatable" culturally. It is what it is. It's really stupid for them to have an expectation of Russell and how he was treated that they never would if Derek Carr, Carson Wentz, or Jared Goff was their QB

That element of our culture is neck and neck with us being 'historically hospitable to a fault' as far as things I hope we 'fix'. But that's an entirely different thread, for a subthread that doesn't exist any longer.
And, frankly, for a (I assume) small minority of posters on this site.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
Schadie001":1ermqttv said:
Funny, because there have been more than a few games where Wilson drove the field in the final minutes of a game to put us on top only to have these same cry babies on D blow it with 2min or less left.

The problem with many of these guys is that they are always looking at ways to pin the blame on someone else. Who cares if THE single most important guy on a team is treated differently. You can only worry about you and your play. Take care of that and you have nothing to complain about.

Exactly. The irony in their beef with Russ is astounding. BOTH sides need to do their part to win, not just one or the other. All this narrative that Russell won a SB because of Lynch and the great defense completely ignores the fact that neither Lynch or that vaunted defense would have won a SB without Russell. It serves to belittle his accomplishments and undermines his athleticism, escapability, specialness and talents that has him now considered (by many) to be a top 5 elite QB in the league.

The egos of some of these players are legendary. Take ownership of your own short-comings and quit pointing all of the problems away from yourself without taking any of the blame.

In other words, grow up.

mrt144

Reaction score
Aros":3orv4swk said:
Schadie001":3orv4swk said:
Funny, because there have been more than a few games where Wilson drove the field in the final minutes of a game to put us on top only to have these same cry babies on D blow it with 2min or less left.

The problem with many of these guys is that they are always looking at ways to pin the blame on someone else. Who cares if THE single most important guy on a team is treated differently. You can only worry about you and your play. Take care of that and you have nothing to complain about.

Exactly. The irony in their beef with Russ is astounding. BOTH sides need to do their part to win, not just one or the other. All this narrative that Russell won a SB because of Lynch and the great defense completely ignores the fact that neither Lynch or that vaunted defense would have won a SB without Russell. It serves to belittle his accomplishments and undermines his athleticism, escapability, specialness and talents that has him now considered (by many) to be a top 5 elite QB in the league.

The egos of some of these players are legendary. Take ownership of your own short-comings and quit pointing all of the problems away from yourself without taking any of the blame.

In other words, grow up.

For those that remained after the SB, what exactly did the offense do to shut them the hell up for 3 seasons? Mind your side of the fence is all well and good but are we seriously going to sit here and pretend anyone was seemingly minding the offensive side of the ball in 16 and 17?

If you have malcontents in your midst either shoot them out of a cannon or shut them up with results. Neither happened.

lobohawk

Reaction score
Peel the onion a little bit and get past the flaming in the article and you can parse it down to this.

The article describes how some folks on the team became upset with the direction of the team and couldn't handle it. Then their disinterest led to inconsitant play and the eventual breakup. It has nothing to do with why the team failed or succeeded. Just a judgement on how those folks could no longer be a team player, as before.

So they revolted because they didn't like how Wilson was treated. Not on how he performed. It's another characteristic of Sherman's to find fault (usually elsewhere) for why things didn't work. Like a scab he can't help picking at. Gotta show how he's right...always right. Sometimes it's great, because he is real smart and can see issues. But other times.....not so much.

Danny at 710 touches on it a bit, because the article implies Wilson was a reason they didn't become a dynasty.
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/51616...-become-a-dynasty-and-its-petty-to-blame-him/

p.s. thought it was funny that Sherman had a million chances to reach out to Wilson in private and talk things out. To apply positive criticism. You know, make your teammates better. Instead he wanted to have it out in public. That's not a sign of someone trying to fix things, it's someone that wants to make a scene and show his superior analysis. It describes someone who was judgmental of Wilson's character and it colored all other events surrounding Wilson.

Remember, a lot this is from someone who flatly denied saying something that was recorded for all to hear (threats to 710 reporter Jim Moore). Someone who's hardwired to not give an inch and brain which can't stop critiquing. Got a buddy very similar. Arguing is useless, even if you're right.

adeltaY

Reaction score
Aros":3vmd41p7 said:
Schadie001":3vmd41p7 said:

In other words, grow up.

Sadly, there are even many Seahawks fans who would agree and say that we could've won with almost any QB.

mrt144

Reaction score
lobohawk":1yib3d1p said:
p.s. thought it was funny that Sherman had a million chances to reach out to Wilson in private and talk things out. To apply positive criticism. You know, make your teammates better. Instead he wanted to have it out in public. That's not a sign of someone trying to fix things, it's someone that wants to make a scene and show his superior analysis. It describes someone who was judgmental of Wilson's character and it colored all other events surrounding Wilson.

You nailed it man! Music to my ears.

GeekHawk

Reaction score
adeltaY":2xakx6rn said:
Sadly, there are even many Seahawks fans who would agree and say that we could've won with almost any QB.

Tarvaris Jackson, for instance. We did great with him, Lynch, and the start of the great D... Great, I tell you! :roll:

TheFaithful

Reaction score
Sounds like Sherman is already trying to get in Russell's head. He's already succeeded with regards to several people in this thread. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. :stirthepot:

lobohawk

Reaction score
A recent tweet

Eric Hammond
@e_hammond
Cliff Avril just said on @SportsRadioKJR that he doesn’t know the Russell Wilson that was mentioned in that story.

oldhawkfan

Reaction score
Excuse me while I wipe my tears away as I read this drivel from the malcontents who are no longer Seahawks! I guess when you have a team like this one was, you just keep everyone around as long as they want to stay. Hey Sherm, bitter much?! I can't believe that these guys are even adults. They are paid millions of dollars to play a game that most of us would love to be able to suit up for just one more time. So it didn't go how you had thought it would go or even hoped it would go. It didn't turn into the dynasty that we all thought it could be. Get over it and get over yourselves. Life rarely turns out how you think it should.
This article made me think of the old saying, "the older I get the better I was". My thoughts on why this potential dynasty fell apart was purely on personality. They had the talent but their own damn egos and personalities got in the way. If something doesn't turn out the way you want, you have only yourself to blame.

GoHawks1212

Reaction score
TheFaithful":1dtl657f said:
Sounds like Sherman is already trying to get in Russell's head. He's already succeeded with regards to several people in this thread. Looking forward to seeing how it plays out. :stirthepot:

30 year old corner, coming off an achilles injury, with an attitude problem.

Good luck with that. :49ersmall:

hawknation2018

Reaction score
TheFaithful":1jvt9qqz said:

0-9ers

:D

lobohawk

Reaction score
Interesting additional takes on the article. Avril clearly contradicts aspects of it.

https://247sports.com/nfl/seattle-s...-Sherman-argued-over-Russell-Wilson-121535308

"Avril was quoted in the piece but he did not lodge any specific complaints at Russell Wilson. He only said the coaching staff may have erred in letting the defense originally go after Wilson and then changing directions and making him off limits following the Super Bowl loss but he accurately pointed out that Wilson is no more protected than any other star quarterback in the NFL. Avril came to Wilson's defense from a social standpoint. In the piece, it says Wilson had a hard time interacting with the Seahawks defense and even separated himself at a Christmas party. The retired pass rusher says he and Wilson hung out plenty."

More and more it sounds like some had a personality difference and couldn't handle it.

Russ keeps his "chips-on-shoulder" well hidden and would never acknowledge this kind of "noise", but I can see even this one providing a bit more burn in his competitive desire. For all his odd quirks, I think folks really forget just how much focus he applies to the things he finds important. Not just a grinder, but an OCD personality.

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Not going to even bother saying much because it's obvious that a bunch of RW fanboy's
are so convinced that he does no wrong and is worth whatever amount it takes to keep him.
So he is too sensitive to be criticized(You kidding me?)I also see that he isn't a leader and
not much of a teamate.I wish the article was trash but SI is not the Enquire.

AROS

Administrator
Administrator
Reaction score
TheFaithful":8zaqlje4 said:
Sounds like Sherman is already trying to get in Russell's head.

What Me Worry?

Attachments

• mag_lpot-wilson01jr_576.jpg
    mag_lpot-wilson01jr_576.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 433

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
lobohawk":vpsg1qdc said:
A recent tweet

Eric Hammond
@e_hammond
Cliff Avril just said on @SportsRadioKJR that he doesn’t know the Russell Wilson that was mentioned in that story.

Interesting.

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
themunn":1wrkgq6d said:
I like the Tony McDaniel comment.
Yeah don't know what he did wrong, yet in the three seasons after we released him he was on the roster of 4 different teams.

And the Kasen Williams thing. Tanner McEvoy hadn't done much, but he had at least caught passes and TDs in a real NFL game. Also at 6'5 6'6' whatever he was, he offered an attribute that Williams didn't. Again, evidences by Williams non-existent career since he left.

Finally, found the Bennett comment interesting about him noting there was no other QB on the roster. Ultimately the QB IS treated differently because there is no position that compares to it.
U miss the mark here .. the players mentioned won their competitions, hence “always compete” losing it luster

253hawk

Reaction score
Scorpion05":3lojnzod said:
The absolute lack of intelligence from some of our past players is Amazing. Really amazing.

So Russell is treated differently than the other players? Like EVERY OTHER young franchise QB? Seriously? Okay. Even when it came to Carson Wentz, Jared Goff, David Carr etc. etc., coaches care deeply about building up a young Quarterback's confidence

I mean I don't wanna get too political about it, but those QBs all have one trait in common that Wilson doesn't have, and that's the only reason this whole thing is even an issue with those guys.

And did Russ go rip and blame his offense and coaches on the sideline when he had that rare bad game? No.

madsherm.0.gif

hawksincebirth

Reaction score
Aros":3p5vrshy said:
I will always appreciate what these "sources" did for our franchise. I will cheer them when they raise the 12 flag, or when they are inducted into the Ring of Honor and/or Hall of Fame, etc., not for who they are as people, but the players they were for us on gameday.

The immaturity and lack of humility they demonstrate, however, is truly pathetic.

What Would Largent Do?
So when people in real life get fired ? Demoted they don’t gripe to future coworkers about the last place they worked ? We have to stop expecting human beings to be more than what they are .. just slightly richer human beings

Latest posts