Sidney Rice signs 1-year deal

warden

Reaction score
Wenhawk":1fdh4a4n said:
Still no word on his contract?

Just read this on Bleacher report

Good numbers

According to multiple reports, the total value of Rice’s one-year contract is $1.4 million.

Rice has a $1 million base salary and a split salary of $500,000 in case of injury.

He also received a $150,000 signing bonus and has $250,000 in roster bonuses, equaling $15,625 for each week he is on the 46-man active roster.

Cartire

Reaction score
Apparently the jets offered him more and he still signed with us.

Championship mentality.

RolandDeschain

Reaction score
Craziness. He's a hell of a value, at this point; if he's healthy this season, that is a great price for him. Unquestionably. Now maybe all the whiners can shut it about how they don't want to pay for him, since we're paying peanuts.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
I have absolutely no problem with the contract at that price. Still doesn't excite me much. I hope he gets healthy and can contribute next year.

Hawknballs

Reaction score
I'm happy to see Sid back, huge part of Russell's development and a guy who knows what he's doing, has made some outstanding plays here for us.

If you're not happy about the move all I can say is that pete and john obviously feel his impact is great enough to have him here and that's enough for me.

hawk45

Reaction score
Yeah I'm with Popeye that it wasn't some magic by our front office as much as it was that nobody wanted the guy.

And I'm with Largent that it's not an exciting signing. For the price I think it's worth a shot.

And stats may not tell the entire story, but for the money Sidney was getting paid, Sgt. Largent is dead-nuts on that *historically* Sidney hasn't been productive enough to excite anyone, and the rest of the NFL including our own front office agreed with Sgt. because nobody offered much money.

Twisting this into a fantasy football position is just shifting terrain to avoid losing on the original terrain.

Russell doesn't have Luck's stats but Russell does have starting QB level production stats. The gaping hole in Sidney's production from missing boatloads of game is not a similar thing. It can't be explained by the type of offense we run. Other NFL teams were able to see past our offense and offer Tate decent money. They did not do so for Rice because as Largent said Rice has left more unproven health and production wise at this point than he has proven.

I guess pointing that out is whining or something.

mikeak

Reaction score
Popeyejones":1zptuqzw said:
STEP 2 (the part that was left out):

The player lingers on the FA market without anyone showing any interest, and well past all the relevant FA signings.

You do realize that most players except the upper echelon would linger on the market until they have rehabed from a significant injury.

His stats suffered from a rookie qb and then 2nd year qb for just a few games being on a team which is run first. That combined with the injury would limit him on the market. If he makes a full recovery then before the season started several teams would have picked him up - for way less money than the original deal but still.

Now the original deal was setup so that he could be cut this year at a reasonable cost or if he was a superstar be kept and play without sitting out for more money. It is a smart way of doing contracts.....

chris98251

Reaction score
hawk45":7uzy02r0 said:
Yeah I'm with Popeye that it wasn't some magic by our front office as much as it was that nobody wanted the guy.

And I'm with Largent that it's not an exciting signing. For the price I think it's worth a shot.

And stats may not tell the entire story, but for the money Sidney was getting paid, Sgt. Largent is dead-nuts on that *historically* Sidney hasn't been productive enough to excite anyone, and the rest of the NFL including our own front office agreed with Sgt. because nobody offered much money.

Twisting this into a fantasy football position is just shifting terrain to avoid losing on the original terrain.

Russell doesn't have Luck's stats but Russell does have starting QB level production stats. The gaping hole in Sidney's production from missing boatloads of game is not a similar thing. It can't be explained by the type of offense we run. Other NFL teams were able to see past our offense and offer Tate decent money. They did not do so for Rice because as Largent said Rice has left more unproven health and production wise at this point than he has proven.

I guess pointing that out is whining or something.

He got injured making plays, not like cooking bar b que or riding a Motorcycle in his spare time, he sells out for you, it sucks he got hurt. At least he doesn't play soft so he can cash in on another contract like a few Giants receivers we seen. If he contributes and opens up the field for Harvin that alone is value let alone his blocking, leadership and big play ability. 1.4 million is a Dollar Store price for him. We get back to the playoffs let alone the dance I think he more then corrected his payment for being hurt.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
$1.4 is a fair deal if he plays out most of the year without injury, especially the playoffs.

It's awesome that Rice took less to sign with the Seahawks. It should be noted that New Jersey has a 8.97% tax rate, which means Rice saved $50-100k by playing more games in Washington state, where there is no income tax. Then you have to factor in the cost of relocating to the East Coast, property taxes, and the higher standard of living. And most importantly, having a consistent QB whom he already has a good connection with could earn him millions more as a free agent in 2015. We saw what playing for a winner did for Michael Bennett.

QuahHawk

Reaction score
Good signing for us, not pennies but if he plays more than half a season we got a good deal.

sc85sis

Reaction score

chris98251

Reaction score
1.4 is the max, he gets a bonus of 250,000 a game he can play in, so it is really a 1 million starter salary, league min is like 800,000 for him so it's a better deal yet for those that are worried about it.

Latest posts