Sidney Rice signs 1-year deal

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
You're not gonna' convince someone of his value if they have decided he's just "average" etc.
He flat out makes plays, is all of 27 years old, and is a damn good player.

volsunghawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1q64alc1 said:
volsunghawk":1q64alc1 said:
bjornanderson21":1q64alc1 said:
When healthy he is a mediocre #2 wr. I don't understand all the accolades people are giving him. Even when the guy has been healthy he hasn't been very good.

It would be nice if people cared more about on-field qualities and production...

The reason you don't understand is because you're stating your opinion as fact. People actually do care about on-field qualities. They just don't agree with you about the qualities Rice possesses.

I don't care about "qualities," I care about stats. Stats don't lie.

Aw, that's cute.

Natethegreat

Reaction score
He has been entirely average since being here(yes I realize he has had a couple game winning catches). He was getting no separation at all last year before getting injured. He simply is not the same any more or at least he wasn't last year and apparently the entire league agrees as NO ONE stepped up and gave him an offer including Carolina a wide receiver desperate team.
It cracks me up that everyone is giddy to see Rice back but Tate (the guy who actually produced and stayed healthy) was ragged on incessantly after going to Detroit by many here. I don't hate the move(as long as there is no guaranteed money) it just doesn't move the needle much more than the CFL receiver signing for me.

mikeak

Reaction score
Is he a true number 1 - no

Do we have Percy Harvin as No1 - yes

Is he the guy that you can trust to move the chains and catch the ball - absolutely

Are his stats a result of a run first team without other good WRs getting open - absolutely

Stats don't lie - I think the quote you were looking for is Lies, damn lies and Statistics...

chris98251

Reaction score
Stats don't lie = Fantasy Football loser.

If your going to look at stats then you need complete team stats, runs, plays participated in, number of pass plays, number of pass plays thrown to, number of times double teams, number of times he was primary target, secondary target, and decoy, etc. Then maybe stats would show the story, since thats not what you are looking at then the Stats you choose to use are a lie as well.

Pandion Haliaetus

Reaction score
Look at all the crabby pants in the last two pages of this thread.

I'll trust the SUPERBOWL CHAMPION Seattle Seahawks to know what they are doing to build this team the best they can, more so than a bunch of depreciative fans who rather just have fantasy production over game winning efficiency.

sutz

Reaction score
chris98251":13okm1bl said:
I think you nailed him. He's feeling pissy because he can't use Rice in his fantasy league.

I hate fantasy football and what it's done to the fans of the game.

hawknation2014

Reaction score
We’re still waiting to see the exact details of Rice’s contract. But speculation was that the base would likely not be much above the minimum for an eight-year veteran, which is $855,000, and instead heavily laden with incentives.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/seahawks/ ... dney-rice/

If they signed Rice for under $1 million, that's an incredible deal by the Seahawks. Not many FOs manage to release a player, saving millions of dollars in cap space over the next two years, and then re-sign the same player for close to the veteran minimum.

X- Sidney Rice or Jermaine Kearse
Y- Percy Harvin
Z- Doug Baldwin, Ricardo Lockette

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
Since when do stats count and/or matter?? How many times have you seen a QB throw up 300+ and lose. Or a team get outgained by a couple hundred yards yet still win?
They won the whole flippen thing, that's the only "stat" that matters.

Plenty of 4,000+ yard QB's, and 70+ catch WR's out there who watched the Hawks on TV in the SuperbOwl.

But hey, "stats don't lie"

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
sutz":2eni7b69 said:
chris98251":2eni7b69 said:

I hate fantasy football and what it's done to the fans of the game.
:13:
And as others have said on this site, it's the reason so many people slobber all over Luck and say Wilson is a "game manager". Andrew is a fine QB but so is Russ.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
hawknation2014":2hnobjdw said:
If they signed Rice for under $1 million, that's an incredible deal by the Seahawks. Not many FOs manage to release a player, saving millions of dollars in cap space over the next two years, and then re-sign the same player for close to the veteran minimum.

It speaks MUCH more to the insanity of his original contract, the complete lack of interest in him by the rest of the league, and really how far he has fallen than it does the brilliance of re-signing him. In your narrative above you leave out the middle of the story:

STEP 1:

release a player, saving millions of dollars in cap space over the next two years

STEP 2 (the part that was left out):

The player lingers on the FA market without anyone showing any interest, and well past all the relevant FA signings.

STEP 3:
then re-sign the same player for close to the veteran minimum.

Of course this doesn't mean that the rest of the league is right (they could all be wrong), but this is the FO taking advantage of an opportunity, not being brilliant in any special way (i.e. everyone, including his fans, knew he was going to get cut, and if anybody else was interested in him being on their team, they had more than enough time to show it).

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
chris98251":cw39j3iq said:

If your going to look at stats then you need complete team stats, runs, plays participated in, number of pass plays, number of pass plays thrown to, number of times double teams, number of times he was primary target, secondary target, and decoy, etc. Then maybe stats would show the story, since thats not what you are looking at then the Stats you choose to use are a lie as well.

This is a portion of it. Remember that statistics dont lie.....but if I want to make a point, I shall use
the statistics to support my efforts, not all statistics, but just those that help me. Intangibles are what Chris pointed out. That is what a TEAM player will bring to the field besides a #2 or #3 WR. Using the truth is a great things and there are a lot of sites to support that too. Incarcerated Bob helps. LMAO

:thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

HawkFan72

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":1fpdjdb6 said:
Since when do stats count and/or matter?? How many times have you seen a QB throw up 300+ and lose. Or a team get outgained by a couple hundred yards yet still win?
They won the whole flippen thing, that's the only "stat" that matters.

Plenty of 4,000+ yard QB's, and 70+ catch WR's out there who watched the Hawks on TV in the SuperbOwl.

But hey, "stats don't lie"

Truth.

chihawk

Reaction score
Just slightly lower than his original salary of $9.7M would have been. Glad to see him back on the team and hopes he can resurrect his career with a good year with the Hawks.

CalgaryHawk

Reaction score
I'm very happy with those numbers. The very small cap hit doesn't preclude the Hawks from cutting him in training camp if he's not recovered from his injury or he's beaten out by a rookie or younger WR.

Latest posts