Similar History, possibly Similar Results?

ivotuk

Reaction score
The 2011 New York Giants were not supposed to be a good team. They were not supposed to win 3 NFC playoff games in a row. AND they certainly weren't supposed to beat the Patriots...

Reading about them on Wikipedia, I noticed some similarities...

"Many analysts predicted a rough year for the Giants.[1] Despite highs and lows throughout the season, the Giants, with a 9–7 record, returned to the NFL playoffs

In the playoffs, the Giants defeated the Atlanta Falcons, Green Bay Packers, and the San Francisco 49ers to win the NFC championship.

The Giants defeated the New England Patriots in Super Bowl XLVI, which was a rematch of Super Bowl XLII from 4 years earlier in which the Giants defeated the previously undefeated Patriots.

The Giants played their eventual Super Bowl opponent during the regular season.

The Giants also played the 49ers during the season, losing the game in the final minutes of play.

The 2011 Giants were the first team in NFL history to reach the Super Bowl with a negative point differential (minus-6, 394 points scored, 400 points allowed).

The Giants were a Wild Card team when they won Super Bowl XLII).

Some news organizations, among them The St. Louis Post-Dispatch, said that the Giants' victory in the Super Bowl made them NFL's version of the 2011 World Series champion St. Louis Cardinals, saying that these two championship teams that had been given the last rites by many near the end of the season, emerged as champions at the end.[3](the Giants were a Wild Card team when they won Super Bowl XLII

Reaneypark

Reaction score
The Giants had an incredible pass rush that year from their D-line. We do not. Big difference.

Aw Mang

Reaction score
Anything is possible on any given Sunday and damn I do hope Seattle goes on a winning rampage and win the SB this year, but I wouldn’t bet a single dawllar on it happening lol. Sure I will keep hope alive and all that shit but not gonna lose any sleep if they won’t.

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
The NFL is a parity league, where records, stats and previous games do not guarantee future outcomes.

However, I feel confident that this team has what it takes to go all the way to the Superbowl, and win it. They have Grit. Or as John Wayne might say, "True Grit."

94Smith

Reaction score
I remember when SF was the wild card and SEA was the # 1 seed and we played in the NFC championship game, but that did not go so well for the 49ers...

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
Reaneypark":2mrnos02 said:
The Giants had an incredible pass rush that year from their D-line. We do not. Big difference.

I see. So all you need to win a Super Bowl is a pass rush? Then why don't i see the 2019 Tampa Bay Buccaneers in playoffs?

OP
OP
ivotuk

ivotuk

Reaction score
94Smith":st46f2c3 said:
I remember when SF was the wild card and SEA was the # 1 seed and we played in the NFC championship game, but that did not go so well for the 49ers...

Seattle - San Francisco games in the 21st Century are the most memorable. :2thumbs:

olyfan63

Reaction score
:pukeface: I hate to throw this one in, the 2005 Stealers were a Wild Card and won a couple road playoff games to get to the Owl.

However, on a good note, we now have a BeastMode storyline going for us. Just like the Bus-Detroit thing for the Stealers. If only the Owl were in Oakland, it would be a guaranteed win if we got there.

94Smith

Reaction score
ivotuk":n7e735hs said:
94Smith":n7e735hs said:

Seattle - San Francisco games in the 21st Century are the most memorable. :2thumbs:

Yeah for you guys :?

94Smith

Reaction score
olyfan63":3pwip5c2 said:
:pukeface: I hate to throw this one in, the 2005 Stealers were a Wild Card and won a couple road playoff games to get to the Owl.

However, on a good note, we now have a BeastMode storyline going for us. Just like the Bus-Detroit thing for the Stealers. If only the Owl were in Oakland, it would be a guaranteed win if we got there.

Can you imagine a super bowl at Oakland Alemeda! Complete with Sewer rats and sewer back ups!