Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to adjust

chris98251

Reaction score
Ok thinking about it, Schotty allowed to do his thing a bit got us Russ cooking, then hit the games back to back where Russell had multiple turnovers.

I think Pete entered the Picture again, we tried to run more but after the first game Hyde had Toe issues, I don't know where Collins is if we have two guys that are limited, we also have Penny coming aboard at some point possibly.

We started to run and then Carson strained or did something to his foot and is now limited as well, they pitch count his runs it appears based on the presser.

Again where is Collins who looked pretty decent.

Secondly Schotty only does what he is told, they have a game plan going in, if it works he looks really good, but if we are out schemed we never adjust, we don't we try to force feed what isn't working till we het in hurry up and two minute drills.

I remember the story of when he was with the Jets and Ryan had asked him why he didn't change what they were doing, Schotty had said this is what we planned and you wanted me to do, so I am doing it.

We may have some of that going on here, both Defense and Offense, why we don't see in game adjustments happen, rarely see adjustments after Half time.

Pete has that kind of control and for some reason the OC and DC don't push things.

Pete doesn't come off as that type of person but years have shown form OC to OC and DC to DC that we just don't do it. The one constant is Pete.

I have to think he is the reason and there is a reason he doesn't get a in game challenge much.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
It's not just slow to adjust, it's REFUSAL to adjust.

The only successful drive of the entire game yesterday was when they went up tempo and Carson caught the TD pass. Next drive with 1:48 to go? Up tempo, cross the 50, then call an inexplicable time out, back to run the playclock down to zero nonsense and voila, sack, losses and a hail mary?

Absolutely abysmal game management and understanding. Said this in another thread, Pete, Russell and Schotty's refusal to go up tempo more often when the offense is struggling to get into rhythm is THE most baffling criticism I have of Pete's entire tenure here.

Seriously, it's that frustrating to me. Such an easy fix that he categorically refuses to do.

Hawaii-hawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":ngpu6vzv said:

The only successful drive of the entire game yesterday was when they went up tempo and Carson caught the TD pass. Next drive with 1:48 to go? Up tempo, cross the 50, then call an inexplicable time out, back to run the playclock down to zero nonsense and voila, sack, losses and a hail mary?

Absolutely abysmal game management and understanding. Said this in another thread, Pete, Russell and Schotty's refusal to go up tempo more often when the offense is struggling to get into rhythm is THE most baffling criticism I have of Pete's entire tenure here.

Seriously, it's that frustrating to me. Such an easy fix that he categorically refuses to do.

Agreed, one of the reasons uptempo works is because it doesn’t give time for the defense to make adjustments, substitutions, and time to diagnose what the offense is showing them from their formation. It also gives the offense itself more time to know what the defense is trying to do while still having time on the clock to adjust.

We do none of that. It’s beyond perplexing and frustrating

ducks41468

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":24dipacu said:

It's purely ego. Pete will win his way or he won't win at all, and that's how he likes it.

ZagHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3opi0m88 said:

THIS. We can almost contribute this to too much confidence/belief in the talent that isn't there or perhaps just talent that is being matched/shutdown that day. A perfect example is the NFCCG against the Packers...how many INTs were involved with passes to Jermaine Kearse until the final pass that he caught that won the game? Yeah...ALL OF THEM. You'd think by INT 2, Kearse would be off the field and/or RW would be advised to throw in another direction and perhaps the Hawks wouldn't have needed that miracle TD in OT (and the Miracle on-side prior to it).

The Hawks are going to look promising against some bad opponents and people will say "SeE i ToLd YoU rElAx", win a must-win game against the Rams...and continue to say the same thing...and then suddenly in playoffs defenses are legit and come alive, RW struggles again and uhh.....we've seen how this plays out. Call me debbie downer Hawks fan all people want, but when you have faith year after year thinking all they need to do is make some minor adjustments in how they game plan during games and see no changes and the same results year after year....Fool me once....fool me twice, three times, a fourth time...well damn. A fooled homer can get fooled again.

xray

Reaction score
In game adjusting or coaching on the fly is not in Carroll's wheel house . 5 more years to go .

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":bpymcol3 said:

I get what you are saying but the thing is there was no need to adjust the first part of the season and I can see if Russ believes something is going to work and it has so many times in the past it's really easy to get pulled back into that...

I would think that after this loss they will adjust if not we will see more of the same... but I don't think Carroll is stupid... I think they will figure it out

I do not believe it's all one man's fault... whether it be Carroll not making a good enough game plan or Russ holding the ball to long injuries or Metcalf dropping to many passes... I think it's a combination of things that needs to be fixed... I think they know that and they will adjust...

the D adjusted and is playing good now no reason to think the O won't do the same IMO

LTH

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
LTH":30mrre35 said:
Sgt. Largent":30mrre35 said:

I get what you are saying but the thing is there was no need to adjust the first part of the season and I can see if Russ believes something is going to work and it has so many times in the past it's really easy to get pulled back into that...

I would think that after this loss they will adjust if not we will see more of the same... but I don't think Carroll is stupid... I think they will figure it out

I do not believe it's all one man's fault... whether it be Carroll not making a good enough game plan or Russ holding the ball to long injuries or Metcalf dropping to many passes... I think it's a combination of things that needs to be fixed... I think they know that and they will adjust...

the D adjusted and is playing good now no reason to think the O won't do the same IMO

LTH

If it takes a QB and coaching staff six games to realize what worked for the first five games isn't working anymore, you've got some BIG problems.

LTH

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1psvh70m said:
LTH":1psvh70m said:
Sgt. Largent":1psvh70m said:

LTH

If it takes a QB and coaching staff six games to realize what worked for the first five games isn't working anymore, you've got some BIG problems.

Lets see how they respond to the loss... there is probably more going on than what we know...I get it it's frustrating... but like you already know there is still time to work it out...

LTH

TheLegendOfBoom

Reaction score
Season after season we should just expect this and accept it.

I would like to be less frustrated by Carroll’s ineptitude but its just the same old song and dance, “Time After Time” (pun intended).

It is what it is.

At least Seattle has a championship team in the Seattle Storm that knows how to coach a team.

Seymour

Reaction score
This is one of Pete's always compete teachings and he lives and dies by it.

"It's not about them, it's about us"

He refuses to be dictated to and it hurts this team over and over and over.

It will never go away until Pete does.

The End

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Not like any of this is news. Some of the pieces have changed, but the outcomes have been pretty static since 2015. The plan and tendencies have remained basically the same even longer.

olyfan63

Reaction score
Hawaii-hawk":6jxshgqg said:
Sgt. Largent":6jxshgqg said:

Agreed, one of the reasons uptempo works is because it doesn’t give time for the defense to make adjustments, substitutions, and time to diagnose what the offense is showing them from their formation. It also gives the offense itself more time to know what the defense is trying to do while still having time on the clock to adjust.

We do none of that. It’s beyond perplexing and frustrating

IIRC, Buffalo did the up-tempo, no-huddle thing to us several times, and with success. Ever since the first AZ game, teams keep hitting us with disguised blitzes that we fail to pick up, hitting Russell HARD, and now Russell is thinking about where the next smackdown hit is coming from instead of where his receivers are. Unbelievable how much the pressure has affected his decision-making, and he does not have the escape-ability he did a few years ago, not even close.

Running the 2-minute, up-tempo offense is normally one of Russell's super-powers. Baffling that Carroll refuses to strategically use this weapon when "Pete Ball" isn't working. Maybe Russell or someone can convince Pete that running no-huddle IS "imposing our will" on the opponent just as much as smash-mouth running game football.

I honestly don't know if the problem is Schotty, or Carroll's limits placed on Schotty, or Russell being in a mental fog, or... it's just so baffling to see the repeated failure to adjust when teams are stuffing our offense. We've had threads before where we wondered if Russell was concussed. He's sure been hit A LOT this season. I'm sure part of the problem is patchwork O-Line, but every team is dealing with that.

xray

Reaction score
Seymour":24lkw68o said:

The End
^
So 5 more ,right?

olyfan63

Reaction score
Shanegotyou11":1v6hehbh said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1336097972472475651

Nice, thanks for the link! Shows Russell and Schotty unprepared to take what the defense is trying to give them.

LTH

Reaction score
xray":2fymhnrg said:
Seymour":2fymhnrg said:

The End
^
So 5 more ,right?

I don't have a problem with that philosophy... only sometimes it doesn't work out... more than not it does work out but its no different than any other coach except for the FACT he is more successful...

LTH

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
olyfan63":1t8lvxwu said:
Shanegotyou11":1t8lvxwu said:
https://mobile.twitter.com/benbbaldwin/status/1336097972472475651

Nice, thanks for the link! Shows Russell and Schotty unprepared to take what the defense is trying to give them.

I'm sure those are the worst examples, but...maybe worse than I thought.

hoxrox

Reaction score
olyfan63":1x1iyn4p said:
I honestly don't know if the problem is Schotty, or Carroll's limits placed on Schotty, or Russell being in a mental fog, or... it's just so baffling to see the repeated failure to adjust when teams are stuffing our offense. We've had threads before where we wondered if Russell was concussed. He's sure been hit A LOT this season. I'm sure part of the problem is patchwork O-Line, but every team is dealing with that.

It's Russell being in a mental fog. Pete preaches balance (mix of run the ball + explosives), and then he is pretty much hands-off when it come to offensive play-calling on game day. He even said as much on today's presser.

At that point, it's up to Shotty to call the right play, and then up to Russ to execute the play. Shotty has said before that Russ has the authority to audible or change the play/protections as he sees fit.

So basically, it's mostly on Russ. It has become clear to me that instead of thinking and anticipating, he is reacting. Unlike more cerebral QBs out there... All defenses have to do now is disguise their coverages, and Russ will be confused and slow to react.

Historically, the playground ball, Houdini stuff used to work. But now, he's just not as shifty anymore. So his MENTAL game MUST improve, or we will continue to see similar results against top tier defenses.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Maybe it's scary to admit that Carson is a really important piece of this offense, but most of the questions people are asking have an easy answer.

First, Carson isn't all the way back yet and if we didn't need him he wouldn't be playing at all. The team would love to let him get fully healthy for the playoffs, and the fact that we played him at all against the Giants should tell you how important they think he is to this offense.

Second, if teams want to sit back in cover 2 and take away the deep shots then that creates opportunities in the running game. The run game was working great with Carson at 90% but they didn't want to use him very much. On the first drive of the game Carson had multiple 11 yard carries, a 5 yard catch, and then the Giants defense was biting hard on the play action which led to some easy short passes.

Third, I bet if somebody compared Carson's touches with RW's QB performance this season you would see an extremely strong correlation. I think a lot of posters on this forum severely underrate the impact Carson makes on the rest of the offense. Hopefully getting Penny back this week will make the offense more robust.