Slooooooooooooooooooooooooooow to adjust

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
How about Pete and Russ focus less on cleats and perfume and just do their f'ing jobs. Way too many irons in the fire for Russ it would seem. I'm concerned about the need to throw the home run ball every time Russ chucks it down the field. Take what the D gives you. I think we could all agree that the defense is coming around the last few weeks and is at least average. Isn't this what we all asked for? Well it is...now what? I'm still really pissed about the Giants game; it was IMO the worst of Russ' career. It goes without saying (but I will) that every team the Hawks face is going to give them their best effort; the G-Men was a perfect example. This unlikely win could turn their whole season around. How about the Hawks treat their competition with the same respect?

3-2-16-4-6

Reaction score
TheLegendOfBoom":4xe2doub said:
Season after season we should just expect this and accept it.

I would like to be less frustrated by Carroll’s ineptitude but its just the same old song and dance, “Time After Time” (pun intended).

It is what it is.

At least Seattle has a championship team in the Seattle Storm that knows how to coach a team.

You leaving out the bona fide dynasty that is the Sounders? They have been well coached and are now in their 4th championship in 5 years.

Don't leave them out! They are ballers. Hawks could learn something from their adjustments and come from behind epic win last night!

John63

Reaction score
Okay again

Games 1-5 short quick passing, always a check down, slants, curls, screens, constantly snapping at different times, audibles, Wilson running early, moving the pocket, avg 19 non QB rush attemps

Games 6 to current little to no quick passing, constantly snapping with 5 or less seconds, little to no audibling, few check downs, little early runs by Wilson, little pocket moving, lots of long slow developing plays. Also we lost top 2 rbs and we had multiple oline injuries.

What this says to me, after we lost our 2 rbs there was an effort to change the the offense system we were using. Once we started having oline injuries another change.

Proof as stated above the only drive that looked good and we scored was a blast from games 1-5 past.

Why two letters PC.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
Since this is about adjustments I listened to the Mina Kimes show yesterday. Steven Ruiz was on and they touched on the Hawks offence. What he said was based on our running reputation early in the year they were seeing a lot of single high looks and defences more geared to stopping the run. Then as the year went on now defences are showing more 2 safety high looks. In his opinion, Schotti's schemes are designed to beat single high and now needs adjusting to beat 2 high and quarters coverage.
The one thing he mentioned at the end that concerned was he questioned whether you can just change your concepts like mid season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
HawkRiderFan":1xp4onf5 said:
Since this is about adjustments I listened to the Mina Kimes show yesterday. Steven Ruiz was on and they touched on the Hawks offence. What he said was based on our running reputation early in the year they were seeing a lot of single high looks and defences more geared to stopping the run. Then as the year went on now defences are showing more 2 safety high looks. In his opinion, Schotti's schemes are designed to beat single high and now needs adjusting to beat 2 high and quarters coverage.
The one thing he mentioned at the end that concerned was he questioned whether you can just change your concepts like mid season.

Russell's an 11 year vet, he has the ENTIRE playbook memorized and at his disposal each and every game, each and every play.

It's now been a month 1/2 of watching Russell and the offense struggle. So that tells you it's not a question of CAN Schotty, Pete and Russell change how they attack defenses that are now playing two high safeties and not giving up the deep shots that were working for the first five games..............it's us being stubborn and not doing it.

Pete even said in his presser yesterday that there were shorter plays available, and Russell didn't throw the ball, he held onto it looking for more deep shots.

Thus all the sacks and intentional groundings.

HawkRiderFan

Reaction score
I should add I didn't agree 100% with what I heard about about changing it up. As Sgt. Largent said underneath routes are there when you watch replays (and the all 22 I assume).

The main thing I took out of the comments was what teams have done since early in the year which explains why the offence has slowed down recently.

cymatica

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":17anqxv0 said:
HawkRiderFan":17anqxv0 said:

Russell's an 11 year vet, he has the ENTIRE playbook memorized and at his disposal each and every game, each and every play.

It's now been a month 1/2 of watching Russell and the offense struggle. So that tells you it's not a question of CAN Schotty, Pete and Russell change how they attack defenses that are now playing two high safeties and not giving up the deep shots that were working for the first five games..............it's us being stubborn and not doing it.

Pete even said in his presser yesterday that there were shorter plays available, and Russell didn't throw the ball, he held onto it looking for more deep shots.

Wilson is mostly responsible for that bad game imo, but the job of the coaches is to drill it in Wilsons head to take what the defense gives him. Coaches should be all over him about tempo. Coaches should have a gameplan that helps him get the ball out quick.

hawk45

Reaction score
cymatica":13fesz9p said:
Sgt. Largent":13fesz9p said:
HawkRiderFan":13fesz9p said:

Wilson is mostly responsible for that bad game imo, but the job of the coaches is to drill it in Wilsons head to take what the defense gives him. Coaches should be all over him about tempo. Coaches should have a gameplan that helps him get the ball out quick.
Designed lateral short passes are something we either don’t execute that well or something we tip off too easily. And we just can’t or won’t do a lot over the middle short either.

Drawing up deep concepts is fine, and will get defenders spread out, and when they aren’t open deep give you easier check down throws in the middle or to backs. This last game was one where I really noticed Wilson not taking the check down. It was there, he just won’t get off the deep routes soon enough.

I’m starting to think Wilson is the author of his own demise this year. It shouldn’t take six months, it shouldn’t take more than a half, to see the steady diet of 2 deep safeties and start bleeding them to death underneath. I’m seeing outlets and I’m seeing underneath routes available and I’m seeing reasonable time to throw. Not best in league pass pro but light years ahead of cable lines.

In the second quarter we had a drive with multiple short play calls. My recollection is that Wilson botched a screen, and threw 2 short lateral passes in the dirt on that drive. The coaches adjusted enough to call multiple shorter plays, Wilson just didn’t execute (he usually does)