So, any early potential picks for Seattle you just hate?

Throwdown

Reaction score
ImTheScientist":2mt2a83f said:
Throwdown":2mt2a83f said:
Kelvin Benjamin and Troy Niklas

Damn...I love them both.

Thing about Benjamin, I could easily be swayed a year later into becoming dudes biggest fan if the drops get taken care of, like Kearse. I couldn't stand Kearse for the drops at UW and his first season here, and his freestyles on the RRR. I can now tolerate the freestyles if I ever see one again because the drops got resolved lol.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Throwdown":1bcv7fmx said:
Kelvin Benjamin and Troy Niklas

This plus this

Cyril Richardson

Plus for some unknown reason, I don't trust Yankey, seems like he outplayed his talent at Standford and won't have nearly the success at the NFL level.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Matthews would bother me at 32. I see him as a finesse player.
Moncrief would bother me at 32, but not 64.

I like Yankey, but not at 32. What I really want to know about Yankey is can he play center? I'm not so sure that with Bailey we actually have the need at guard.

There are a handful of tight ends that would not surprise me at 32, and would feel both solid and meh at the same time. My personal favorite would be Fiedorowicz, who would be ready to replace Miller on day 1. Not much of the flash of some other tight ends, but a well coached zone blocker with good hands. Some of the other highly touted tight ends would bother me.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
cubbyhawkfan":39slkyjg said:
I try not to rule anyone out because as we all know if the majority of us ran this team we'd be dead last and thank god JS/PC see past the flaws of the guys they draft but here are a few I just would not be excited about:
David Yankey G
Brandon Cook WR
Dee Ford DE
Jace Amaro TE
Timmy Jernigan DT
Anthony Barr OLB
Gabe Jackson G
Cyril Richardson G
Trent Murphy DE

Pretty solid list there.

I would probably only omit Jernigan and Ford. For where we're picking, those are decent prospects. Not in love with them but I don't think they elevate to the hate range.

I'd add Brent Urban to that list. Taking him at 32 would be about 2 full rounds too early. He may well be a star. But if we were to even concede that, it would have been like taking Russell Wilson at 12. We simply don't have to take him at 32.

Additionally, I'm adding Kouandijo to the list. He's going to drop like a rock. I'd put him in the Dominique Easley kind of range. In a normal draft, you might see both these guys go late 2nd round. But this draft is very deep for that. You are really giving up likely long term starters for what is a healthy flyer. Late 2nd round looks like the quality of a 35-45 overall kind of guy.

The two on that list I think I'd most hate would be Richardson and Amaro.

Scottemojo":39slkyjg said:
My personal favorite would be Fiedorowicz, who would be ready to replace Miller on day 1. Not much of the flash of some other tight ends, but a well coached zone blocker with good hands. Some of the other highly touted tight ends would bother me.

It feels like we are very alone on this assessment. Had a conversation similar to this regarding the option of signing Jimmy Graham for the cost of 2 first round picks. Seems everyone is against it because he doesn't block and it's a huge part of our base TE skill set. I would balk at the draft and contract cost personally.

But it was interesting that so many gloss over blocking deficiencies of some of these players (ASJ, Niklas, Amaro) almost selectively. Fiedorowicz isn't going to be a major weapon in the passing game. Although I see him having very good intermediate/short success as a receiver. YAC will be next to zero. What he can do though, is he can make those 4-5 yard 3rd down conversions with confidence. He can also present a big red zone target who will go and get jump balls. Just as importantly for me though is he is not a willing blocker. He's an excellent blocker. Both inline and in space. This guy is an asset as a TE.

We have plenty of guys capable of handling the heavy lifting of the receiving. If we get a base TE, I want Willson catching the TE passes anyway. Of course this is a conversation for the #32 pick. Fiedorowicz should be available at 64 and even several picks after that.

Threedee

Reaction score
So far, Stanford has been kind to Seattle. I would be happy with Yankey. I keep hearing, though, that linemen aren't really great choices for R1 picks. That you're just as likely to hit on talent in R3-5. The consensus seems to be that regardless of needs on both lines, you take the most promising WR (or possibly TE) at 32.

As for Yankey, he did play on the team whose ground and pound scheme was so developed that it made Oregon look silly two years running. The knock on Yankey is that when the same scheme met physical teams such as Washington and Utah, it lost (would have lost twice to the Huskies, but for those fatigued secondaries Stanfording all over the field to slow the tempo).

randomation

Reaction score
Guardian":22yu2ekc said:
Does trading picks for Jimmy "I'm Jimmy!" Graham count?

This or taking KB do not like either or those I know it won't happen but I still hold out a vain hope for trading up to draft evans.

HawkWow

Reaction score
This FO has thrown us so many draft day curves, I don't have any idea where they will go in rd 1. I don't even have a clear idea of what would be considered a legit potential pick. Now with the possibility of losing Bennett and perhaps Tate with ML not getting younger and CM not showing much...combined with a need at several O-line spots and the possibility they might want to move Zach......all I really know is we won't be going QB. After that...who knows what JS and PC are up to?

Ain't it fun? ; )

cover-2

Reaction score
WR Jarvis Landry, Clemson - Nice WR that has no unique qualities about him.

WR Jordan Matthews, Vanderbilt - Everyone was questioning his speed, then he puts up a good time at the combine...IMO he doesn't play as fast as his 40-time. While I like Matthews and think he could be a solid #2 WR in the league, I would like to get more bang for my buck in the 1st round. Here is food for thought, Percy Harvin ran a 4.41 at his combine and Golden Tate ran a 4.42 at his combine, but Harvin plays much faster than Tate on the football field.

Any TE in the 1st round. I love the upside of Luke Wilson and IMO he is going to be that seam stretching TE that we have lacked. If we use a 1st round pick on a TE, then one could argue that we are going to run a lot of two TE sets, but I can't image we would do that with the highly paid slot WR Percy Harvin on our roster. Although I have to admit I would love to see a ton of two TE sets.

DAVID YANKE
OG David Yanke, Standford - I don't love the idea of drafting a OG in the 1st round, especially with the emergence of Bowie.

OG Xavier Su'a-Filo, UCLA - I'm underwhelmed when watching him, with the talk of him being a 1st round pick.