So let's talk about Russell Wilson

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":3i3w949i said:
Laloosh":3i3w949i said:
First one to go postal has to buy everyone else a beer though...

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.

Dude. Have you never played sports and tried to play in extreme cold before? Or even worked in it? You sound like a guy whose only experience is from the armchair.

When its this cold it affects people physiologically. The cold will affect your body chemistry. Your muscles. Your blood. It will affect the way you think even - it affects your ability to think.

I have no scientific study to refer to but I truly believe that when a human being is exposed to this kind of cold it affects your brain functioning - you are in a whole different world out there and your mind is not working 100% normally.

Your ability to judge is not only impaired, but because everyone, your teammates, your opponents and yourself are performing at different speeds and abilities than what is normal then everything that used to be automatic and rote becomes a completely new learning experience.

Dude. Yes I've played sports. No, I haven't played them in the arctic. Eastern Washington, Iowa, Colorado are the best I can do.

What a weird question. Like everybody who's ever played sports has played in those temperatures and I am just some blowhard for questioning why he played so poorly?

Yeah, I'm just picking on him.

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
Uncle Si":20oeci41 said:
MizzouHawkGal":20oeci41 said:
Whatever, he was uncomfortable. Most humans would be. I think a lot of it was caused by Minnesota having a great defensive game plan concerning how they pass rushed Wilson the rest was the weather or the more obvious reasons(3rd/4th string TE's and RB's).

Ease up Mizzou...

When I said uncomfortable I was referring to his play and approach, not whether he could handle the cold. Vikes did a decent job, Becells schemes looked strange and Wilson didn't look confident all day.
Yes Wilson may have lacked confidence against this vikings front and backers but so did Aaron Rodgers in less severe weather in week 17. There were many factors in this game that contributed to the poor performance incuding communication problems, passes that were lost in the sun or floated short due to swirling 10mph winds that then directed east to west.
I also live in Minny and have been to TCF many times. That stadium is basically a horse shoe and strong gusts of wind will direct down 4th street by Williams arena and into the entrance. Also the home team sideline (the north sideline) is in the sun and the majority of the field and south sideline is in the shade. Because the sun is in a low angle this time of year it can interfere with tracking balls thrown toward the north sideline. Bevell and Russ won't need to know this after today however.

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":967xwnsk said:
Uncle Si":967xwnsk said:
He missed some throws and the play calling seemed limited at times

Not worried heading next week.

I'm not either, Si. Thought he looked pretty bad today. Was a topic of discussion between friends and I during the game. We were able to discuss it w/out getting upset with one another and I made the mistake of thinking it was possible here today.

My bad.

What are ya new here? :34853_doh:

I was cussin' the hell out of Wilson during the game myself, but I wouldn't start a thread about it. Why?

You know some are going to agree with you and others aren't, and the next thing you know you're arguing with people on the INTERNET and accomplishing exactly, what? Nothing is what. But at least we have a place where 'Hawk fans can do exactly that, amirite?

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":vbsaclyd said:

I was cussin' the hell out of Wilson during the game myself, but I wouldn't start a thread about it. Why?

You know some are going to agree with you and others aren't, and the next thing you know you're arguing with people on the INTERNET and accomplishing exactly, what? Nothing is what. But at least we have a place where 'Hawk fans can do exactly that, amirite?

Why shouldn't there be a thread about it? I've started plenty of threads praising him. Not very popular around week 8 I might add.

I don't get too high or low about this stuff so I like to discuss it. See what others think. Apparently, tonight, others just think I'm "armchairing" for saying it. Oh well.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Laloosh":5podjf9v said:
400WattHPSHawk":5podjf9v said:

Why shouldn't there be a thread about it? I've started plenty of threads praising him. Not very popular around week 8 I might add.

I don't get too high or low about this stuff so I like to discuss it. See what others think. Apparently, tonight, others just think I'm "armchairing" for saying it. Oh well.
This isn't the objectivity you're looking for...

400WattHPSHawk

Reaction score
Laloosh":m9l533rq said:
400WattHPSHawk":m9l533rq said:

I never said there shouldn't have been a thread about it. I said I wouldn't do it, who wants the headache. I know what I know and I'm good with that, but you're acting like you didn't expect the expected.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Laloosh":2i600dys said:
Vancanhawksfan":2i600dys said:
Laloosh":2i600dys said:

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.

Dude. Have you never played sports and tried to play in extreme cold before? Or even worked in it? You sound like a guy whose only experience is from the armchair.

When its this cold it affects people physiologically. The cold will affect your body chemistry. Your muscles. Your blood. It will affect the way you think even - it affects your ability to think.

I have no scientific study to refer to but I truly believe that when a human being is exposed to this kind of cold it affects your brain functioning - you are in a whole different world out there and your mind is not working 100% normally.

Your ability to judge is not only impaired, but because everyone, your teammates, your opponents and yourself are performing at different speeds and abilities than what is normal then everything that used to be automatic and rote becomes a completely new learning experience.

Dude. Yes I've played sports. No, I haven't played them in the arctic. Eastern Washington, Iowa, Colorado are the best I can do.

What a weird question. Like everybody who's ever played sports has played in those temperatures and I am just some blowhard for questioning why he played so poorly?

When a guy criticizes someone else he ought to be ready for criticism himself. And sorry that you didn't like the "dude" comment...I was just parroting you.

I only asked if you have played in extreme cold because it sounded like you hadn't...and apparently I was correct. I really think that when it comes to circumstances that are extreme like this that people should be smart enough to curb criticism of others unless they have first hand experience themselves.

Have you ever tried to throw a ball when it is rock hard? Have you ever tried to throw a ball when your hands are frozen? Have you ever been smashed when your bones are cold and brittle? Have you ever tried to run full speed when your muscles are freezing? Have you ever had freezing, dry cold air blow into your eyes for 3 hours? Have you ever hit the ground when it felt like concrete? Have you ever inhaled freezing air into your lungs after an all out sprint?

And then try to throw split second timing passes in gusting winds considering all of the above knowing that all of the above isn't just affecting Wilson, but its also affecting the receivers he's throwing to and the linemen that are blocking for him.

Sorry. I don't think its difficult to give anyone a pass when the conditions are like they were today. Even to the Minnesota kick unit.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
400WattHPSHawk":ry6b2ru0 said:
Laloosh":ry6b2ru0 said:
400WattHPSHawk":ry6b2ru0 said:

I never said there shouldn't have been a thread about it. I said I wouldn't do it, who wants the headache. I know what I know and I'm good with that, but you're acting like you didn't expect the expected.

Fair enough.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Vancanhawksfan":ih75l1xz said:
Laloosh":ih75l1xz said:
Vancanhawksfan":ih75l1xz said:
Laloosh":ih75l1xz said:

When a guy criticizes someone else he ought to be ready for criticism himself. And sorry that you didn't like the "dude" comment...I was just parroting you.

I only asked if you have played in extreme cold because it sounded like you hadn't...and apparently I was correct. I really think that when it comes to circumstances that are extreme like this that people should be smart enough to curb criticism of others unless they have first hand experience themselves.

Have you ever tried to throw a ball when it is rock hard? Have you ever tried to throw a ball when your hands are frozen? Have you ever been smashed when your bones are cold and brittle? Have you ever tried to run full speed when your muscles are freezing? Have you ever had freezing, dry cold air blow into your eyes for 3 hours? Have you ever hit the ground when it felt like concrete? Have you ever inhaled freezing air into your lungs after an all out sprint?

And then try to throw split second timing passes in gusting winds considering all of the above knowing that all of the above isn't just affecting Wilson, but its also affecting the receivers he's throwing to and the linemen that are blocking for him.

Sorry. I don't think its difficult to give anyone a pass when the conditions are like they were today. Even to the Minnesota kick unit.

I should expect to be criticized for not having played in -13 degree weather because I said that Wilson had an "oh shit" look on his face, looked out of it and didn't play well? Okay.

He threw the deep pass on 2nd and 1 or 2, then threw a 6-7 yard check down on 4th and what, 13? Yeah, probably didn't want to throw it 13 yards because of the cold.

More than happy to hear that the wind going that direction was bad, preventing it or everyone was covered but... "it was really cold"? Nah.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
The reason he missed those long throws was he waited too long to throw the damn ball! Of course the weather might have froze his brain?

I love it; when things are going good, it's because RW is calling the plays...but when we look like poop, it's Bevell's fault. LOL!

kearly

Reaction score
It looked like the cold was a speed equalizer. Most guys looked like they were running at 80% speed and it felt like the fastest players were running at an even lower percentage. Nobody was running away from anybody, and the speed loss affected how easily receivers got open and also the timing of a QB hitting his receivers in stride.

Bridgewater practiced in the bitter cold all week and seemed to have the timing adjustment down from the first snap. Wilson took about 3 quarters to figure it out.

If Seattle plays Green Bay at Lambeau in a couple weeks, it might be wise to fly out there immediately and get some practices in with cold weather conditions so Wilson can calibrate.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1r9c57v7 said:
I think the only two guys who would have balled out in the weather today are Tom Brady and Packers days Brett Favre. I laughed when people brought up college games in Wisconsin as though he ever played in temps this cold.

It was pretty clear from the beginning we were trying to score enough to get the win and get the hell out of there. Luckily Blair Walsh gave us a little extra help.

Russ will have a great game next week - all that matters
You forgot Bart Starr....2 TD passes and one rushing in the Ice Bowl. I know. I watched the game on TV.

LymonHawk

Reaction score
hawksfansinceday1":tjtdmizh said:
Hasselbeck":tjtdmizh said:
I think the only two guys who would have balled out in the weather today are Tom Brady and Packers days Brett Favre. I laughed when people brought up college games in Wisconsin as though he ever played in temps this cold.

It was pretty clear from the beginning we were trying to score enough to get the win and get the hell out of there. Luckily Blair Walsh gave us a little extra help.

Russ will have a great game next week - all that matters
You forgot Bart Starr....2 TD passes and one rushing in the Ice Bowl. I know. I watched the game on TV.

Black & White?

Sealake80

Reaction score
He looked bad when he wasn't showing greatness. He flashed his greatness enough to win w the miracle hook. We play next week. Wilson is still our QB. With him we ALWAYS have a chance. Some here may not get it until he's retired and HOF and 15 years later were still looking for that next star QB

SirTed

Reaction score
What I can't figure out is why Wilson plays so poorly in cold, or bad weather games. It would seem to me that these games would suit his playing style, and considering his hand size, he shouldn't have trouble gripping, and throwing the football. I'm not being critical of this game in particular- though I think we can all agree he had a poor game. I don't blame him for having a bad game, I just keep waiting for him to break out in one of these type games, and it keeps not happening.

Any thoughts on this?

PlinytheCenter

Reaction score
GeekHawk":2u1rack4 said:
Has anyone here ever been in that kind of cold? I have, in the Navy when I was going to school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the winter of '77-'78. It's like a whole different reality.

I was in GLNTC at the same time. Had a second story dorm with a window. While playing cards one night we stuck a couple six-packs outside the window. In about 5 minutes the bottles all cracked. Freakin COLD there.

Edit: It was the cold that affected Russell. End of story and onto next week...

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
-24° degrees. That isn't just cold that is body changing. When I was a teenager in Central Oregon I had to walk to the bus and sometimes just wait there. It was bone chilling enough to lose circulation.

TXHawk

Reaction score
I climbed Mt. McKinley (now Denali) in Alaska in 1985. Spent 23 days on the mountain and it was -35F in base camp before we even started climbing. We didn't record temps after that but it was almost certainly below zero most of the time I was on the mountain. I can tell you that everything you do is difficult in that kind of cold.

Wilson didn't just mysteriously lose the ability to throw accurate passes after shredding defenses for the past seven weeks. It was the cold.

erik2690

Reaction score
I don't think I'm going to read to deep into the offensive performance this game. It wasn't good and we clearly need to play better next week. I'm just not sure this game is a good one to judge problem areas going forward b/c the circumstances were so outlier. Maybe the offense will be a problem next week, who knows, but I'm not assuming that based on this game.

canfan

Reaction score
GeekHawk":mou6i3da said:
Has anyone here ever been in that kind of cold? I have, in the Navy when I was going to school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the winter of '77-'78. It's like a whole different reality.
I live near Edmonton, Alberta. What you saw on TV is what we up here would call Sunday (ie: nothing out of the ordinary). I have been in the stands for a game played at those kinds of temperatures and I saw nothing that I would not have expected. When its that cold exposed skin starts to freeze in roughly 5 minutes. That may have had something to do with the look on RW's face!

Also the inaccurate long balls that I have seen a lot of comment on should have been no surprise. Because they aren't allowed to heat the balls in front of the sideline heaters, I'm sure the PSI was down about 20%. The aerodynamics on an under inflated, frozen ball is going to be different. My brother and I were talking about it before the game, and we were both thinking that the high arc throws would flutter and die. Then the QB will start to overcompensate and it throws the timing off.
These games always come down to bounces and breaks. The Seahawks got enough of them to advance. We should be happy about it and not waste any time analyzing this game. There is literally nothing to be learned from this unless they play in these kinds of conditions again.

Latest posts