So let's talk about Russell Wilson

Russ Willstrong

Reaction score
We all know Russ is not perfect and thrives on adversity so keep piling on twelves.
Just remember what this viking defense did to the great Aaron Rodgers under less severe weather.
Their defensive line and linebackers have speed to match us.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Ambrose83":19rfyl4e said:
You guys are ridiculous.. It was -26 ... Thats a commercial freezer cold.. Go spend an hour in one exercising and tell me how you feel... That weather was the sole reason for the ugly game.. No question.

................................................................................ ^ THIS ^.............................................................................................
I've set chokers on all kinds of crappy weather, but when I got to the freezing snow, lasted two hours before quitting, cuz I couldn't feel my fingers or toes, and I was heavily dressed for the job.
It's not like I wasn't fit, while I was in the military, I came in 1st of 250 guys in the obstacle course.
If you're not use to it, that kind of COLD will kick your ass.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Wow.

It looked the same to me Laloosh. Us, actually. The vast majority on here point to the weather...but Teddy was more efficient and (aside from the bad snap play that changed the game) outplayed Russell today. I don't remember more than maybe 2 or 3 throws that were released on schedule. He looked hesitant, confused at times. I thought 2x he should have kept the RO when he didn't- both in the 2nd half and one seemed to be very obvious.

The play calling was odd, at best. It looked like RW was being asked to make plays that weren't conducive to the conditions. He was either late or underthrew every long ball. He got bailed out once with the pi.

As mentally tough as I think Russell Wilson is, I thought he'd come into this game and easily be the best player on the field today. He wasn't. Whatever the reason...I thought he was outplayed by a mediocre QB that played in the same weather against an even better defense.

It's over, thank God. See you in Charlotte!

Anthony!

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2ohri889 said:
That was the old Russell today. I call that "Hero Ball Russell". Trying to do it all by himself. Trying to win the game by himself ... not trusting his receivers or his line ...
Yes, he delivers some magic, but he left many open plays out there. Over threw the ball. Overthinking. Wasting time coming out of huddle costing us time outs ... etc.
I'm afraid, we must learn to live with both Russells. The great Russell and the "Hero Ball"-Russell.

lol well we found the worst post of this thread, wrong on so many levels. Its pretty simple, it was cold PERIOD.

Anthony!

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":1i0k6qy7 said:
Wow.

It looked the same to me Laloosh. Us, actually. The vast majority on here point to the weather...but Teddy was more efficient and (aside from the bad snap play that changed the game) outplayed Russell today. I don't remember more than maybe 2 or 3 throws that were released on schedule. He looked hesitant, confused at times. I thought 2x he should have kept the RO when he didn't- both in the 2nd half and one seemed to be very obvious.

The play calling was odd, at best. It looked like RW was being asked to make plays that weren't conducive to the conditions. He was either late or underthrew every long ball. He got bailed out once with the pi.

As mentally tough as I think Russell Wilson is, I thought he'd come into this game and easily be the best player on the field today. He wasn't. Whatever the reason...I thought he was outplayed by a mediocre QB that played in the same weather against an even better defense.

I believe you are missing the point I would expect you too. So let see Minn been practicing in this weather all week, we got 1 day, yeah that did not help at all. We thought Lynch was playing, only to find out later Friday he was not so game plan changed.I can go on and on why this game was tough. Did wilson play great? no, Bu what he did do is what all ELITE QBs do, find ways to win and have an impact when you are not playing your best. Despite you feeling TB out played Wilson the reality is we do not win this game with TB. That said I am very sure next week He and the offense will play much better. To me the major issue was the weather, and us not having a great game plan for that weather. Most of the passes Wilson missed were touch passes which are hard to do with numb fingers. TB did not have any of those, all his were simple short routes. I would be willing to bet you Wilson tries a glove next time it is this cold

falcongoggles

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":7co479vy said:
Wow.

I agree with everything said above. Wilson's face was like a little squished purple troll doll (bingo anyone?) I think 80% is on the play calling. When RW has long developing plays against a pass rush that gets home (see 1st half of season), he struggles.

How many quick slants were thrown today?
How many passes to the middle of the field within 10 yards of the line?

RW was given a shite hand and then compounded things by going "hero mode" as stated above.

WindCityHawk

Reaction score
The argument that "we won therefor Russ did fine" is a logical fallacy. A 50% completion rate for an INT and a 3 yard TD is a bad day. Fact.

That said, the coaching staff did nothing to help him (looking at you, Bevell), and it's not like Minnesota had to respect our run game--if AP's backup's backup was on the field, we would have just defended the pass too. Compound all of that with the cold and it's no wonder he struggled.

Thankfully we get to have our cake and eat it too (whatever that means). We got to struggle, have plenty to learn from AND we get to play again next week. How ridiculous. I love it.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
brimsalabim":3g5n794j said:
Laloosh":3g5n794j said:
SuperFreak":3g5n794j said:
Stayed calm on that LOL snap and set up a touchdown. Might not have been his A game but I don't think anyone in those temps is throwing for 500 yards and 7 TDs.

I wasn't suggesting that anyone would/should. Decision making, accuracy, getting plays off. The answer for all of it is, "it was cold"? Okay.
Try slinging the football with accuracy and touch when you can't feel your own hands. I bet Russell wears gloves next time he has to play is sub 0. Teddy B did.

Teddy always wears gloves...so.....

HuskerHawk

Reaction score
Football gloves don't warm your hands up very much. There are some that are designed to be used in cold weather, but are quite a bit thicker leading to less dexterity. I doubt a quarterback would want to wear one of them.

LoneHawkFan

Reaction score
Anthony!":1c4pwy5m said:
LoneHawkFan":1c4pwy5m said:
Wow.

I believe you are missing the point I would expect you too. So let see Minn been practicing in this weather all week, we got 1 day, yeah that did not help at all. We thought Lynch was playing, only to find out later Friday he was not so game plan changed.I can go on and on why this game was tough. Did wilson play great? no, Bu what he did do is what all ELITE QBs do, find ways to win and have an impact when you are not playing your best. Despite you feeling TB out played Wilson the reality is we do not win this game with TB. That said I am very sure next week He and the offense will play much better. To me the major issue was the weather, and us not having a great game plan for that weather. Most of the passes Wilson missed were touch passes which are hard to do with numb fingers. TB did not have any of those, all his were simple short routes. I would be willing to bet you Wilson tries a glove next time it is this cold

Actually, you're missing the point. The temps all week were mid-30's; you don't "get used to" -5 anyway even if you practice in it. Minnesota's offense was more effective today than the first go-round, despite the weather...yet you're blaming the weather for Russell's bad game.

I think there's blame to go around- and some of your points are spot on. I understand how much will and focus it takes to stay mentally strong in those conditions- my point above is simple...Teddy seemed to have that focus, he wasn't phased nearly as much. I think that a lot of it is on the coaching and RWs execution/ decision making. I'm not blaming the weather.

My guess is that we'll be in a dogfight next week and Russell will be awesome. But he wasn't today and it's OK to discuss why he wasn't. I guarantee you one absolute: neither RW nor the coaching staff are throwing the game tape away and blaming the weather.

Anthony!

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2dex2j3p said:
Anthony!":2dex2j3p said:
LoneHawkFan":2dex2j3p said:
Wow.

Actually, you're missing the point. The temps all week were mid-30's; you don't "get used to" -5 anyway even if you practice in it. Minnesota's offense was more effective today than the first go-round, despite the weather...yet you're blaming the weather for Russell's bad game.

I think there's blame to go around- and some of your points are spot on. I understand how much will and focus it takes to stay mentally strong in those conditions- my point above is simple...Teddy seemed to have that focus, he wasn't phased nearly as much. I think that a lot of it is on the coaching and RWs execution/ decision making. I'm not blaming the weather.

My guess is that we'll be in a dogfight next week and Russell will be awesome. But he wasn't today and it's OK to discuss why he wasn't. I guarantee you one absolute: neither RW nor the coaching staff are throwing the game tape away and blaming the weather.

Dude mid 30s as you put it is a lot closer than we had here. Add to that according to what I just read the weather this week in minny ranged from a high of 30 to a low of -6, so they did get to practice in it. As to rest I agree

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Friday was 38 degrees here. That's not very cold.

Teddy had maybe an extra few hours to practice in the cold. Wilson had a bad day. Did enough to get us 10 points in tough conditions but still a bad day.

He was marginally outplayed by Teddy. But let's be honest, that was TBs best possible game against the Hawks. They planned it according to his abilities and he did well.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Laloosh":zqnljs7x said:
First one to go postal has to buy everyone else a beer though...

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.
What's to talk about? That botched snap-----recover the ball and just hoping not to be sacked-----mad scramble----pass to Tyler Lockett (no E)----Lockett thinking he's at Kansas State again just making game changing plays at critical times. Yeah, that's all that needs to be said about Russell Wilson. And Tyler Lockett for that matter.

Grahamhawker

Reaction score
Most of Bridgewater's completions were checkdowns or short planned routes. Hawks d played off.

Minny d was pressing more, Hawks short routes were taken away or were never there in the first place. They gambled that the conditions would take care of the deeper stuff, which it mostly did.

RW certainly did not have a great game, but it ain't all on him.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1sr8uojp said:
Laloosh":1sr8uojp said:
First one to go postal has to buy everyone else a beer though...

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.
What's to talk about? That botched snap-----recover the ball and just hoping not to be sacked-----mad scrambe----pass to Tyler Lockett (no E)----Lockett thinking he's at Kansas State again just making game changing plays at critical times. Yeah, that's all that needs to be said about Russell Wilson.

Really though? Over shot a couple open receivers, floated some deep balls to open receivers and just generally looked uncomfortable.

LudwigsDrummer

Reaction score
GeekHawk":307xdzyx said:
Has anyone here ever been in that kind of cold? I have, in the Navy when I was going to school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the winter of '77-'78. It's like a whole different reality.
I was in a VP squadron running OPs out if Iceland in `75-`76. I got cold but not as bad as it was at Minny.

brimsalabim

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":2rttqoh3 said:
ive skied in -9 degree temps.

Didnt bother me. I actually was sweating at times. When I did go really fast I got a brain freeze headache though.

But then again, I am superhuman.
Were you wearing gloves? Look I understand that a QB wouldn't want to wear them but this was severe. In sub zero temps a QB is going to lose feeling in his hands with prolonged exposure. Did you see the water bottle in pre game? 15 minutes on the field and it was frozen solid. This wasn't average cold. This wasn't just freezing. Your hands feel different. The ball feels different. There is no way he is going to have his normal game.

The Outfield

Reaction score
I think part of the weird expression on his face was his balaclava mask scrunching down on his forehead/eyebrows.