So let's talk about Russell Wilson

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
I think the only two guys who would have balled out in the weather today are Tom Brady and Packers days Brett Favre. I laughed when people brought up college games in Wisconsin as though he ever played in temps this cold.

It was pretty clear from the beginning we were trying to score enough to get the win and get the hell out of there. Luckily Blair Walsh gave us a little extra help.

Russ will have a great game next week - all that matters

zhawk

Reaction score
thank you Idaho hawk.

You mean the "oh shit" expression when he turned a mistake (his) into the biggest offensive play of the game, by keeping his head, and redeeming himself by throwing a pass to Lockett?

It was cold. Have you ever tried to throw precision passes down field in -5 temperatures? The offense struggled mightily, yes. But putting the blame on Russ doesn't fly with me. Sorry. Respectfully disagree.

Chalk it up to excruciatingly difficult conditions & move on to CAR. Hopefully Willson will be back as well. I think he was missed today. TE was invisible all day.

How many of you have tried to shovel snow in that weather? It's easy to make judgment from a TV or PC screen. I was born in Winnipeg and lived in Michigan and Idaho. Other than hockey, playing in those conditions is miserable. it's the periods of inactivity that get you. the Hawks gutted that one out. Let's move on.
:th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :th2thumbs: :thirishdrinkers: :les: :les: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers: :thirishdrinkers:

Uncle Si

Reaction score
LudwigsDrummer":fbo0t007 said:
GeekHawk":fbo0t007 said:
Has anyone here ever been in that kind of cold? I have, in the Navy when I was going to school at Great Lakes Naval Training Center in the winter of '77-'78. It's like a whole different reality.
I was in a VP squadron running OPs out if Iceland in `75-`76. I got cold but not as bad as it was at Minny.

I live here.... So yes.

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1e10mfks said:
MizzouHawkGal":1e10mfks said:
Laloosh":1e10mfks said:
First one to go postal has to buy everyone else a beer though...

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.
What's to talk about? That botched snap-----recover the ball and just hoping not to be sacked-----mad scrambe----pass to Tyler Lockett (no E)----Lockett thinking he's at Kansas State again just making game changing plays at critical times. Yeah, that's all that needs to be said about Russell Wilson.

Really though? Over shot a couple open receivers, floated some deep balls to open receivers and just generally looked uncomfortable.
Everyone was and why the bitchfest? It was Kam Chancellor that put us in the dumb position anyway. Or more to the point Pete Carroll doing EXACTLY what he did in Atlanta and throwing away 3 sure points in the first half. Just like Atlanta we never should have been in the position we were in because of flat out stupid coaching decisions.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
This is a bitchfest?

The OP wanted to discuss RW. There's a thread on Kam, Bevell, the weather...

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":35o09cz7 said:
Uncle Si":35o09cz7 said:
MizzouHawkGal":35o09cz7 said:
Laloosh":35o09cz7 said:

Seriously, what was up with that "oh shit" expression stuck on Russell's face today? He looked completely lost at times. I thought that the play calling was pretty horrible at times but Russell was all kinds of bad.
What's to talk about? That botched snap-----recover the ball and just hoping not to be sacked-----mad scrambe----pass to Tyler Lockett (no E)----Lockett thinking he's at Kansas State again just making game changing plays at critical times. Yeah, that's all that needs to be said about Russell Wilson.

Really though? Over shot a couple open receivers, floated some deep balls to open receivers and just generally looked uncomfortable.
Everyone was and why the bitchfest? It was Kam Chancellor that put us in the dumb position anyway. Or more to the point Pete Carroll doing EXACTLY what he did in Atlanta and throwing away 3 sure points in the first half. Just like Atlanta we never should have been in the position we were in because of flat out stupid coaching decisions.

A 47 yard FG in -5 degree temps is a sure thing?

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Whatever, he was uncomfortable. Most humans would be. I think a lot of it was caused by Minnesota having a great defensive game plan concerning how they pass rushed Wilson the rest was the weather or the more obvious reasons(3rd/4th string TE's and RB's).

Uncle Si

Reaction score
MizzouHawkGal":1y859rds said:
Whatever, he was uncomfortable. Most humans would be. I think a lot of it was caused by Minnesota having a great defensive game plan concerning how they pass rushed Wilson the rest was the weather or the more obvious reasons(3rd/4th string TE's and RB's).

Ease up Mizzou...

When I said uncomfortable I was referring to his play and approach, not whether he could handle the cold. Vikes did a decent job, Becells schemes looked strange and Wilson didn't look confident all day.

HawkAroundTheClock

Reaction score
LoneHawkFan":2mmsk8i5 said:
Wow.

It looked the same to me Laloosh. Us, actually. The vast majority on here point to the weather...but Teddy was more efficient and (aside from the bad snap play that changed the game) outplayed Russell today. I don't remember more than maybe 2 or 3 throws that were released on schedule. He looked hesitant, confused at times. I thought 2x he should have kept the RO when he didn't- both in the 2nd half and one seemed to be very obvious.

The play calling was odd, at best. It looked like RW was being asked to make plays that weren't conducive to the conditions. He was either late or underthrew every long ball. He got bailed out once with the pi.

As mentally tough as I think Russell Wilson is, I thought he'd come into this game and easily be the best player on the field today. He wasn't. Whatever the reason...I thought he was outplayed by a mediocre QB that played in the same weather against an even better defense.

It's over, thank God. See you in Charlotte!

Agree 100%.

TheHawkster

Reaction score
Ambrose83":2iszuosg said:
You guys are ridiculous.. It was -26 ... Thats a commercial freezer cold.. Go spend an hour in one exercising and tell me how you feel... That weather was the sole reason for the ugly game.. No question.

I've worked around a 450,000 Sq foot freezer for over 16 years. For me, -20 ro -30 isn't too terrible. Anyone that has spent time in freezers knows it doesn't hold a candle to outside temps.

I feel for everyone that went through that today.
It definitely will be an experience you earned!

Win or lose, those temps are no joke.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Hawks46":1ah35a3o said:
I honestly think we were out coached.

Wilson is throwing bombs into the wind. Carroll is terrified of kicking a 46 yard FG, then the Vikes come out and calmly kick a 47 yarde (wind could've been a factor). The first two pass plays of the game went from the shade into bright sunlight, and the WR had no chance at either one. There were a lot of things: we ran a lot of very obvious plays that the Vikings blew up. There wasn't a lot of misdirection. On 2nd and 2, the Vikings run blitz us and we run (yet again) right into it. I'd like to see a play action pass in that situation; an incomplete pass leaves us at 3rd and 2, and the Vikings were biting HARD on the run the entire first half.

That said, we didn't play well. Wilson had a 64 passer rating. Bridgewater had an 85. They both played in the same weather, yet the Vikings seemed to have a better game plan for it than we did.
The 47 yarder was with the wind, and Haushka would not have made the 46 yarder. It was that bad going into the wind.

Glad you noticed the first two passes having the WR staring into the sun.

fenderbender123

Reaction score
I don't think it's unfair to say Russ played bad. For starters, there's his stat line (and let's not forget that Minnesota dropped 2 interceptions). His accuracy was all over the place. And that pass to a wide open Baldwin early in the game? You can't tell me the temperature is the reason the ball hung in the air that long. Maybe he was overcompensating for the cold, or maybe (as the best commentator of all time Chris Collinsworth mentioned), something interfered with his ability to step into his throw at the last second in which case nevermind about this play lol.

Vancanhawksfan

Reaction score
Laloosh":3nsx6sqy said:

Dude. Have you never played sports and tried to play in extreme cold before? Or even worked in it? You sound like a guy whose only experience is from the armchair.

When its this cold it affects people physiologically. The cold will affect your body chemistry. Your muscles. Your blood. It will affect the way you think even - it affects your ability to think.

I have no scientific study to refer to but I truly believe that when a human being is exposed to this kind of cold it affects your brain functioning - you are in a whole different world out there and your mind is not working 100% normally.

Your ability to judge is not only impaired, but because everyone, your teammates, your opponents and yourself are performing at different speeds and abilities than what is normal then everything that used to be automatic and rote becomes a completely new learning experience.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
Russell struggle that I can agree with, yes Teddy had a better stat line, but he was throwing quick short passes, while we were letting Russell throw bombs against the wind. What happen to our quick passing game, what happen to throwing into the middle of the field, what happen to our 2 minute offense drill, it seem like the only thing we did was throw bombs and run. We threw to a tight end, 1 time I think. Russell wasn't able to find his rhythm and probably didn't adjust his throwing motion to the cold air correctly. Also don't forget we had one series in the 1st quarter as the Vikings offense was hammering our defense for one whole quarter.

Watching the redskins/packers game all day I heard "Rodgers finally got the wind to his back" and he was throwing much better after the early starts. It was repeated several times by the commentator.

The affect of the cold plus the wind chills made the game the way it was. I'm surprised that Bevell didn't say let's start doing short passes to combat it. It makes me think more that Pete wanted explosive plays plus running game to limit the turnover. The problem was the ball hanging in the air causes the interception rate to go up, and yet we didn't adjust it in the 2nd half.

Not to mention the communicate issue with the headset, it didn't make for a game that Russell was comfortable in. It seemed like they went back to a Marshawn led offense, and when he couldn't make it on the bus, they stuck with the plan thinking it wouldn't matter.

nepahawk

Reaction score
I think he could've used a visor on his helmet, his eyes looked frozen.
I can't remember, if it was the first or second quarter, he took a big hit.
It was the one where he lost his warmers and mouthpiece.
I think that hit rattled him pretty good, looked dazed after that.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
fenderbender123":1wgw5cjq said:
I don't think it's unfair to say Russ played bad. For starters, there's his stat line (and let's not forget that Minnesota dropped 2 interceptions). His accuracy was all over the place. And that pass to a wide open Baldwin early in the game? You can't tell me the temperature is the reason the ball hung in the air that long. Maybe he was overcompensating for the cold, or maybe (as the best commentator of all time Chris Collinsworth mentioned), something interfered with his ability to step into his throw at the last second in which case nevermind about this play lol.
Not the temp, the wind.
That was the windy end of the stadium. Nobody played good offense going that direction.

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
I've watched every game of the Wilson era he doesn't play as well in cold or wet conditions .

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1dcrnv5e said:
MizzouHawkGal":1dcrnv5e said:

Ease up Mizzou...

When I said uncomfortable I was referring to his play and approach, not whether he could handle the cold. Vikes did a decent job, Becells schemes looked strange and Wilson didn't look confident all day.
I can agree with that, it was Atlanta all over again in so many ways. This time we fought through and won. Next week is a whole different situation.

OP
OP
Laloosh

Laloosh

Reaction score
Scottemojo":ccz94lnu said:
fenderbender123":ccz94lnu said:
Not the temp, the wind.
That was the windy end of the stadium. Nobody played good offense going that direction.

We talking about the one that he threw at about a 70 degree angle? Thing went straight up lol.