So our punter kicks it to the left side of the field..

warden

Reaction score
Lockette stated in an interview earlier this season that they know exactly where Ryan is going to place the ball. They know how far he is going to kick it, and what side of the field he is going to place it, they run to a spot on the field and that they practice this all the time. So it is mind boggling that the players ran to the wrong side of the field. Give the Rams some credit, they saw something and felt they could fool us, and it worked.

dontbelikethat

Reaction score
warden":j3l99elj said:
Lockette stated in an interview earlier this season that they know exactly where Ryan is going to place the ball. They know how far he is going to kick it, and what side of the field he is going to place it, they run to a spot on the field and that they practice this all the time. So it is mind boggling that the players ran to the wrong side of the field. Give the Rams some credit, they saw something and felt they could fool us, and it worked.

Yes they know where it's going initially but from the time they decide that and to the point where Ryan kicks the ball, things may change like he could've had it tipped and misdirected, he could've had a bad kick where it doesn't go as planned, etc.

SussexSeahawk

Reaction score
dontbelikethat":16294fcl said:
warden":16294fcl said:

Yes they know where it's going initially but from the time they decide that and to the point where Ryan kicks the ball, things may change like he could've had it tipped and misdirected, he could've had a bad kick where it doesn't go as planned, etc.

This :13: I'm sure the plan was to the other side of the field, but when you're barrelling down the field and the Rams have set up and indicated its going to the opposite side, that is more in your vision and i think you would , as a player , assume it's been tipped/spooned off Ryan's boot and zone in on that rather than looking up in the air to see where the ball is; especially when the fake receiver of the ball has made such a visual indication of receiving it and going to return it.
Good call by the Rams, bad play by the 'Hawks and although it was a bad play and cost us, and you'd like to blame ST 100% for it, there are mitigating circumstances and how often have ST won/saved us games in the past? Personally, i'm calling it a bad day at the office

iigakusei

Reaction score
You have to admit that fake was pretty damn amazing. Embarassing that we were on the losing end of it, but brilliant regardless.

jblaze

Reaction score
I'm sure the call was to punt it left but sometimes punters miss and it goes right, even good punters like Ryan. The players reacted to Austin and most of the return team and were in full out sprint and didn't look up apparently to see where it was going.

The guy who actually returned the ball played it perfectly too running back and catching it over his shoulder instead of setting up. Just a brilliant play call and execution. However, we should know Fisher by now and expect the unexpected.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Even if Ryan does punt it to the left all the time, obviously our special teams punt coverage unit is coached to follow where the returner is setting up to catch the kick............and that's what Fisher and his staff picked up on, which is why it worked so well.

I was more pissed off at the fake punt catch for 1st down than this play. This play? Just a really well designed and executed trick play. The fake punt was just a flat out breakdown in assignment. Inexcusable to not have it covered.

G-Money

Reaction score
HawkFan72":10fxgkay said:
That play was just embarrassing.
One of THE most perplexing plays I've ever seen...............#jawdroppingepicfailure

Mike 4G

Reaction score
The bears did the exact same play a couple years ago, but I think was called back on a penalty.

Blitzhawk

Reaction score
He was waving his hands in front of him but not over his head so not a legit fair catch signal. The failure by the coverage team was not maintaining there lanes. Half way down all the left side coverage cuts to the right side = wrong/failure. Just like on a defensive play where the outside guy(s), usually the DE or corner, have outside contain and runner cut back prevention duties. On the kickoff, other misdirection plays have been used in the past including the reverse handoff and cross field backward pass. These plays are additional reasons why the coverage team must remain disciplined and maintain their lanes going down the field.

chris98251

Reaction score
You maintain your lane, if you start looking up to find the ball you will be looking up from a cart shortly afterwards as a guy on the return side is going to knock you to tomorrow.

seahawks08

Reaction score
I loved the play, they tricked us last year too, with a touch down, when one of the guys pretended to run out but was in the field. Kudos to their ST, they have found a way to win. It makes me mad it but genius for sure.

OkieHawk

Reaction score
seahawks08":32of0lyc said:
I loved the play, they tricked us last year too, with a touch down, when one of the guys pretended to run out but was in the field. Kudos to their ST, they have found a way to win. It makes me mad it but genius for sure.

I had forgotten about that play, thanks for bringing up all that pain. ;)

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I thought that rams were kinda like sheep...but looks like the sheep took the hawks into the fold and fooled them. Great play and execution by the team. If there was a wolf grey in the fold, I think it was not the hawks. LOL