So we got a second and fourth for the #32 first round pick

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Sgt. Largent":pkb7867g said:
Smelly McUgly":pkb7867g said:
Poor John Schneider. I love him, but he sometimes struggles with getting value for his trades.

Which time are you talking about? When he traded back to and still got Kam in the 5th round? Or when he traded back to get Richard Sherman also in the 5th round?

I love how Schneider turned over an entire roster and built a SB champion from thin air through the draft, and yet people still criticize him? That's laughable to me.

Bad response here that wasn't worth writing. I'm just talking about the initial value of the picks he got back for that first rounder. If he turns them into two All-Pros, which wouldn't surprise me, he still could have got more for #32.

Schneider will continue to get criticized because he's not a perfect pick-making robot, but know that I (and anyone else that disagrees with Schneider) has faith in whoever he picks.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":1b8u72xy said:
Sgt. Largent":1b8u72xy said:
I'm OK with trading back. The O-lineman and D-Lineman we're more than likely targeting will still be there at 40, so why not get more picks?

I know it's not sexy, but I want both our 2nd rounders to be O-Lineman, preferably one of them being Su'a-Filo from UCLA. Hearing Neuheisel gush over his ability and character makes him sound like a perfect fit.

Add in the fact that the Rams D-Line is freaking scary as hell now means we need to go O-Line early and often the next two days.

When did Northwest Football fans start trusting the weasel?

Ha. Would I trust Neuweasel to do my taxes? Hell no, but there's no argument that he's not a good evaluator of talent...........and don't tell me he's not the best thing to happen to the Pac 12 network. He's gold........gold Jerry.

edogg23

Reaction score
I am a little surprised with the Vikings wanting to do something as serious as draft their next franchise qb that we couldn't at least get them to give us an extra 6th or 7th in the trade as well. If anything it seems like we should have been in the ones with the upper hand bargaining position.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":hl5n465j said:
Sgt. Largent":hl5n465j said:
Smelly McUgly":hl5n465j said:
Poor John Schneider. I love him, but he sometimes struggles with getting value for his trades.

Which time are you talking about? When he traded back to and still got Kam in the 5th round? Or when he traded back to get Richard Sherman also in the 5th round?

I love how Schneider turned over an entire roster and built a SB champion from thin air through the draft, and yet people still criticize him? That's laughable to me.

Bad response here that wasn't worth writing. I'm just talking about the initial value of the picks he got back for that first rounder. If he turns them into two All-Pros, which wouldn't surprise me, he still could have got more for #32. .

No, he couldn't. When there's a talent rich draft like this year, it's very hard to get more picks.......especially with the last pick in the 1st round. A high 2nd and 4th was great for me, sorry John let you down personally.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Sgt. Largent":1q6hlqb5 said:
Smelly McUgly":1q6hlqb5 said:
Sgt. Largent":1q6hlqb5 said:
Smelly McUgly":1q6hlqb5 said:

Bad response here that wasn't worth writing. I'm just talking about the initial value of the picks he got back for that first rounder. If he turns them into two All-Pros, which wouldn't surprise me, he still could have got more for #32. .

No, he couldn't. When there's a talent rich draft like this year, it's very hard to get more picks.......especially with the last pick in the 1st round. A high 2nd and 4th was great for me, sorry John let you down personally.

No, this is not a good argument. If you have, feasibly, a team that wants a certain guy to be their franchise QB and they HAVE to jump in front of Houston to make sure they get him, this is your chance to do better than trading down eight spots and picking up a fourth.

No one is asking for Minny's first next year or anything. However, multiple picks - like Minny's fourth and seventh - would have been a slightly-tilted trade for Seattle except canceled out by letting Minny jump and get their franchise QB. If they were really hopeful for getting Bridgewater, but were worried about Houston doing it, they should have been ready to pay for it. If not, I don't know that trading down eight spots to pick up a single fourth was worth it. Maybe their draft board indicated that it was, but hey, we can agree to disagree.

Now, stop acting like Schneider is your mom and I'm insulting her. If you want to disagree, that's more than fine, but leave all the whiny hyperbole like SORRY JOHN LET YOU DOWN out of it. Good God.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":39bv6ria said:
No, this is not a good argument. If you have, feasibly, a team that wants a certain guy to be their franchise QB and they HAVE to jump in front of Houston to make sure they get him, this is your chance to do better than trading down eight spots and picking up a fourth..

Here are the facts, Schneider said there were 6-7 teams interested in our 32nd pick, and Minnesota offered the best package of picks.

Trading picks is a two way street, if you want to play hardball (like you're saying John should have done), then you have to be willing to not make the trade. We NEEDED more picks, and this was the best deal available, period.

So to say John could have gotten more out of Minnesota is flat out wrong, they would have just made a similar trade with another team picking early in the 2nd round to get Bridgewater, and we'd be stuck with only six picks, AND having less value to try and get more picks later in the draft.

HansGruber

Reaction score
King Dog":3lso9nwc said:
I read somewhere last night our guy at #32 was going to be Dominique Easley, who went to the Patriots at #29.

Pure rumor. Schneider said they had their pick in right before the trade went through. The stuff about Seahawks being disappointed about Easley was debunked by Scneid, who said they don't go into the draft looking for specific players, they have a whole list of players and don't get attached to anyone. He said that stuff this morning to 950KJR

wrenches59864

Reaction score
Great trade, dropping eight spots to gain a fourth round pick..... Tear them up tonight John and Pete! :179422:

HansGruber

Reaction score
I was especially stoked about the trade after hearing Schneider say their strategy is to draft as many players as they can and let them compete. Said they look for guys with special traits and abilities, even if they're somewhat lacking in other areas. They grab as many of those guys as they can and throw them in a pot and see what floats to the top. That's why they have traded down so much in the past - they believe MORE picks are better than higher picks.

Also said that guys like Sherman, late round stars, are the result of the above philosophy more than great scouting. Said scouting tells you some basic things about a guy, but you don't know anything until they actually practice and play. Can't put too much weight into your scouting that you get locked-in on specific players. Said Sherman and Chancellor were surprises even to the Seahawks, who thought they MIGHT be good but didn't know. It takes game time to see what they really are.

Hard to argue the philosophy.

Largent80

Reaction score
I heard Neuheisel talking about Sua-Fila this morning and he was all over his jock. He says he has excellent footwork.

Jville

Reaction score
HansGruber":2jnek6vz said:
King Dog":2jnek6vz said:
I read somewhere last night our guy at #32 was going to be Dominique Easley, who went to the Patriots at #29.

Pure rumor. Schneider said they had their pick in right before the trade went through. The stuff about Seahawks being disappointed about Easley was debunked by Scneid, who said they don't go into the draft looking for specific players, they have a whole list of players and don't get attached to anyone, they expect the guys they like to be drafted before they pick and plan for it. He said that stuff this morning to 950KJR

I looked in on them via their Seahawk war room broadcast. They were shuffling what appeared to be a half dozen plus player cards just prior to the trade. They seem to always have a cluster of options when their pick comes around.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
HansGruber":twgks9rx said:
I was especially stoked about the trade after hearing Schneider say their strategy is to draft as many players as they can and let them compete. Said they look for guys with special traits and abilities, even if they're somewhat lacking in other areas. They grab as many of those guys as they can and throw them in a pot and see what floats to the top. That's why they have traded down so much in the past - they believe MORE picks are better than higher picks.

Also said that guys like Sherman, late round stars, are the result of the above philosophy more than great scouting. Said scouting tells you some basic things about a guy, but you don't know anything until they actually practice and play. Can't put too much weight into your scouting that you get locked-in on specific players. Said Sherman and Chancellor were surprises even to the Seahawks, who thought they MIGHT be good but didn't know. It takes game time to see what they really are.

Hard to argue the philosophy.
Um yeah, got the franchise its first ever championship IN ONLY 4 YEARS so their approach seems to be working. :D

McGruff

Reaction score
Largent80":151fk2gr said:
I heard Neuheisel talking about Sua-Fila this morning and he was all over his jock. He says he has excellent footwork.

One thing to keep in mind is that it greatly helps coaches in recruiting to have their players picked early and often in the draft, and to be seen publicly trumpeting their graduates. Don't buy into the fact that its always sincere.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
McGruff":hwx4x0u0 said:
Largent80":hwx4x0u0 said:

One thing to keep in mind is that it greatly helps coaches in recruiting to have their players picked early and often in the draft, and to be seen publicly trumpeting their graduates. Don't buy into the fact that its always sincere.

I'd agree with you if Neuheisel was a coach.

McGruff

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3gn3reyt said:
McGruff":3gn3reyt said:
Largent80":3gn3reyt said:

I'd agree with you if Neuheisel was a coach.
Shoot! I'm 5 years late . . .

HansGruber

Reaction score
Jville":icphmnmd said:
HansGruber":icphmnmd said:
King Dog":icphmnmd said:

Pure rumor. Schneider said they had their pick in right before the trade went through. The stuff about Seahawks being disappointed about Easley was debunked by Scneid, who said they don't go into the draft looking for specific players, they have a whole list of players and don't get attached to anyone, they expect the guys they like to be drafted before they pick and plan for it. He said that stuff this morning to 950KJR

I looked in on them via their Seahawk war room broadcast. They were shuffling what appeared to be a half dozen plus player cards just prior to the trade. They seem to always have a cluster of options when their pick comes around.

That's what he said this morning in an interview.

They don't get locked into specific players. Seahawks philosophy is to draft in bulk and let them compete. Scouting is only half the story, and is unreliable. They don't get too high on anybody and they don't draft for "need." That was the basic gist of it. What really stood out to me was a comment he made (it sounded like a recorded interview) that Sherman was a surprise to the Seahawks as well.

Makes sense. Most of these scout favorites don't live up the hype. The draft really is a crap shoot.

Someone on the same show mentioned Jared Allen, said no scouts anywhere saw him becoming who he is, that he was a nobody going into the draft and even the Chiefs scouting staff thought he was a stretch in the 4th.

So I checked out his scouting reports this morning. It's funny, everyone had him ranked as a mid-rounder or later. Sports Illustrated ranked him as a 6th rounder and said he "lacked the upside for the next level". NFL Draft Scout ranked him as the 28th ranked DE out of 80 in the draft.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/footba ... 49583.html
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings/ds ... &genpos=DE

So I think Schneider is really on to something when he says you can't trust scouting, and for that reason, can't get locked into specific players. It's all about drafting in bulk and getting lucky on guys like Chancellor and Sherman.

RiverDog

Reaction score
McGruff":20xshspj said:
Sgt. Largent":20xshspj said:
I'm OK with trading back. The O-lineman and D-Lineman we're more than likely targeting will still be there at 40, so why not get more picks?

I know it's not sexy, but I want both our 2nd rounders to be O-Lineman, preferably one of them being Su'a-Filo from UCLA. Hearing Neuheisel gush over his ability and character makes him sound like a perfect fit.

Add in the fact that the Rams D-Line is freaking scary as hell now means we need to go O-Line early and often the next two days.

When did Northwest Football fans start trusting the weasel?

No kidding. Especially when it comes to character, of which Neuheisel knows absolutely nothing about.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
I see this trade like this; moving out of 1st round , our trade gave us an upper slot to still get 1st round talent there at #40, and now OUR 2nd round pick, #64?, essentially gives us a 1st pick of the 3rd round, and we also picked up a higher pick in the 4th. :th2thumbs: