So, what does our OL look like now?

Smellyman

Reaction score
WestcoastSteve":3iu75vvs said:
Smellyman":3iu75vvs said:
massari":3iu75vvs said:
RG needs to be addressed ASAP.

and RT

Ifedi does need to step up but you aren't replacing him this year. Not really anyone on the roster who can play that position at a high level.

Would love to see Pocic get a shot. Ifedi isn't at a high level.

Hawks46

Reaction score
Our OL just got scary deep and in a hurry.

Odhiambo got some valuable starting experience. Was he good ? No, but he was starting to come up to league average. He's shown steady progression this year and if he continued to improve, he might've ended up about average.

Joeckel has played well. He's physically more developed than Pocic at this point and drive blocks better. He also costs us 8 mil/year and he won't be back at that number next year. Someone mentioned RT which is really intriguing.

Britt is good and he's set at his spot.

Pocic has looked really good and should improve. The beautiful thing about him is that he's so versatile that he can play LG, RG, C, and probably swing Tackle.

RG is up in the air but we could have Aboushi, Pocic, Glowinski, and possibly Odhiambo all competing for that spot.

Ifedi is still raw, but this is his first year starting at Tackle in the NFL. He's also shown steady improvement and is our best run blocker at this point. I wouldn't worry about him if he improves up to league average.

We still have Tobin on the squad who is a tested veteran that grades out as average.

Add in guys like Battle and Fant coming back and we could be incredibly deep next year. I'd like to see Fant come back and learn from Brown. When Brown hangs em up (or we let him go) Fant could be that much better.

i also like that for the first time this year, I won't be worried about literally any OL injuries.

Fuzzman55

Reaction score
Ifedi isn't going anywhere thankfully. We've added another tackle that can run block, so hopefully Brown's impact is a multiplier for the rest of the line. After Odi got dominated in run game, I just don't think Hawks could stand pat. Now shake up the RB position and lets see where we're at.

seahawkfreak

Reaction score
This is going to effect the whole line.

Just adding another veteran has immense value in it of itself. This is self explanatory but tales from an old hat can teach young guys how to handle a number of experiences in the NFL. Just one example.

Less chip blocks and or combo/double teams needed between the RBs and LG helping the LT.

Less need for help on the left side allows for more combo/double team blocks in the interior of the O-Line.

Solid left side and brutish interior will take pressure off of the right side of the Line as more help can be applied.

RW may actually be able to stay flat footed for 3 to 4 seconds in a pocket. Maybe it is not necessary but can't see it hurting.

Of course this is how it should be in a rational sense but we will have to see how it plays out. Still very exciting and I really hope the staff start mixing in straight up blocking with the zone for variety to confuse the defenses. Line seemed to thrive when it was applied in 2 previous games so far.

425HawkSpark

Reaction score
A-Dog":3jskgo9o said:
For next year:

Starters:
Brown - Odhiambo - Britt - Pocic - ifedi

Backups:
Fant - Roos - Hunt - Glowinski - Battle
I see fant as next years RT and ifiedi as back up

chris98251

Reaction score
425HawkSpark":zew0j1h1 said:
A-Dog":zew0j1h1 said:
For next year:

Starters:
Brown - Odhiambo - Britt - Pocic - ifedi

Backups:
Fant - Roos - Hunt - Glowinski - Battle
I see fant as next years RT and ifiedi as back up

Ifedi is already a back up, he backs right in to Wilson all the time. When he's not he collecting yellow hankies. We should have enough depth to eliminate that problem now.

getnasty

Reaction score
When all healthy I hope it goes Brown, Joeckel, Britt, Poicic, Ifedi

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
Aboushi is getting undervalued in here. He's not a Pro Bowler, but the line's improvement in the last month has coincided with Aboushi's starting and the coaches call his communication skills a big asset.

I think it's a lot likelier that Joeckel comes back and kicks Pocic out to right tackle. Ifedi is a liability.

FlyingGreg

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":6ozx9z1e said:
Aboushi is getting undervalued in here. He's not a Pro Bowler, but the line's improvement in the last month has coincided with Aboushi's starting and the coaches call his communication skills a big asset.

I think it's a lot likelier that Joeckel comes back and kicks Pocic out to right tackle. Ifedi is a liability.

Except they are very beholden to Ifedi.

northseahawk

Reaction score
Smellyman":2hqdkmy8 said:
Scorpion05":2hqdkmy8 said:
northseahawk":2hqdkmy8 said:
I dont think this upgrade will make any difference blocking for a qb that runs wild all over. It's impossible to block efficiently for a qb that runs east/west.

Not sure if trolling, but if Watson or Rodgers can have a good O-line, so can Russell

Going w/ trolling

I guess it won't be long till next Sunday where we see if i am trolling or suddenly we have a conventional pocket qb in Wilson.

I am telling you right now, if it's Brown or Walter Jones, it's just not possible to block effectively for a guy that runs side to side rather than up into the pocket.

And by the way, i guess you hadn't seen Rodgers oline this year. He would have drooled for our line than his!

Seymour

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":21pm80yh said:

Winner winner chicken dinner. :2thumbs:

I knew if I read enough I would not have to post what i think is best case scenario.

BlueBlood

Reaction score
northseahawk":v744po60 said:
Smellyman":v744po60 said:
Scorpion05":v744po60 said:
northseahawk":v744po60 said:
I dont think this upgrade will make any difference blocking for a qb that runs wild all over. It's impossible to block efficiently for a qb that runs east/west.

Not sure if trolling, but if Watson or Rodgers can have a good O-line, so can Russell

Going w/ trolling

I guess it won't be long till next Sunday where we see if i am trolling or suddenly we have a conventional pocket qb in Wilson.

I am telling you right now, if it's Brown or Walter Jones, it's just not possible to block effectively for a guy that runs side to side rather than up into the pocket.

And by the way, i guess you hadn't seen Rodgers oline this year. He would have drooled for our line than his!

5-2 without being able to pass block for Russ. I'm good with that. Even if pass blocking is still not great maybe they will at least open up a few holes for the running game.

One good thing DOES lead to another. Good run blocking makes for a less obvious game plan. If you can be better at one of usually alleviates the other.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
I suspect the plan is Brown - Joeckel - Britt - Aboushi - Ifedi

Pocic is a wild card. I don't think we want to go Pocic - Ifedi on the right side based on inexperience. Joeckel is a left sided OL player. I don't see him moving out to RG. Pocic got experience. Had good success in the passing game. And will factor next year if he gets some of what Fant got in the offseason.

Ifedi is growing fine on the right side. I'm not terribly concerned about him out there. His penalties are going to be an issue throughout his career. I think I may have mentioned it here when he was drafted that he has a penchant for getting an early start on the snap counts. Even in college, he had two handfuls of plays a game where he could have been flagged for a FS.

He's a mauler there. And that's what the RT position in our scheme requires. There isn't anyone else on the line that fills that bill.

I think Seattle is going to look to settle on the OL at this point. Joeckel will reclaim his spot when he returns. The only spot on the line that I see has some doubt it RG.

Seymour

Reaction score
FlyingGreg":3gg7rxxb said:
MontanaHawk05":3gg7rxxb said:

Except they are very beholden to Ifedi.

Ughhh.....

Then there is that too. I do however sense that Pete is getting a bit impatient with Ifedi and his lack of progress. He is killing too many drives with dumb penalties just for starters.

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
northseahawk":362qb8ln said:
Smellyman":362qb8ln said:
Scorpion05":362qb8ln said:
northseahawk":362qb8ln said:

Going w/ trolling

This IS true, but that doesn't mean that upgrading LT is a futile endeavor, exactly. Rees was bad. It just means that you should make sure you don't overpay. On that front, I grade the trade 6/10, given Brown's age and the value of 2nd-round picks.

Where Brown's value doesn't come across is whether the interior can open passing lanes for Wilson like Brees' does for his. If that doesn't happen, Wilson's probably still going to do his fair bit of running, and Brown's going to get flummoxed occasionally when his man keeps peeling off him and tackling Wilson after he runs right into his arms.

kobebryant

Reaction score
Ifedi is having a surprisingly good season in pass pro - he hasn't given up a sack and has only allowed one hit on the QB (per PFF). He needs to get the penalties under control though.

ivotuk

Reaction score
Pro Bowl Left Tackle

Ethan Pocic looking good with Luke Joekel as backup (Win)

Pro Bowl Center

League Average Right Guard (Yay!)

Lumbering RIght Guard, who may be improving.

This is a win, win win situation! Duane Brown will have a positive ripple effect down the Offensive Line. :2thumbs:

Mojambo

Reaction score
MontanaHawk05":35qy4xae said:

Now that LT is fixed, Aboushi is BY FAR the worst run blocker on this line. If Joekel comes back, Pocic or Joekel is going to displace him at RG.

SeaWolv

Reaction score
northseahawk":1ba8ewjp said:

Maybe so but what about run blocking?

Latest posts