So...what kind of contract is Luck going to get?

Ramfan128

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":396pvxz1 said:
Popeyejones":396pvxz1 said:
^^The two posts above are both variants on what Peaches already posted.

Real question for you guys: knowing what you know about the salary cap and progressive nature of contract values, what do you think an appropriate APY is for him?

He will probably get at least 21mil avg a year

Matt Ryan is averaging 20.7 mil a year
Rivers is 20.8
Cam is 20.7
Tannehill is just south of 20 mil
Flacco is 20.1 mil a year
Even Kaepernick got 19 mil a year avg

Also somehow the Pats weaseled out of paying Brady...I thought people on here said Wilson could never get a lower ammount due to agent pressure and blah blah blah...Bradys Cap hit has been less than 16 mil the last 7 years..how the hell is that even possible

He cares more about winning than any other QB. You can see that on the field too.

WilsonMVP

Reaction score
Ramfan128":1gai1ayj said:
WilsonMVP":1gai1ayj said:
Popeyejones":1gai1ayj said:
^^The two posts above are both variants on what Peaches already posted.

Real question for you guys: knowing what you know about the salary cap and progressive nature of contract values, what do you think an appropriate APY is for him?

He will probably get at least 21mil avg a year

Matt Ryan is averaging 20.7 mil a year
Rivers is 20.8
Cam is 20.7
Tannehill is just south of 20 mil
Flacco is 20.1 mil a year
Even Kaepernick got 19 mil a year avg

Also somehow the Pats weaseled out of paying Brady...I thought people on here said Wilson could never get a lower ammount due to agent pressure and blah blah blah...Bradys Cap hit has been less than 16 mil the last 7 years..how the hell is that even possible

He cares more about winning than any other QB. You can see that on the field too.

Ya but people on here said Wilson could never get a lower ammount because of the NFLPA and all this other pressure demanding he get more. So how can Brady get away with it. You dont think Peyton cares about winning?

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Ramfan128":28p49y0l said:

He cares more about winning because financially his wife essentially pulls in 2-3x as much as he does. Or do you "see" that he cares more? is it in his eyes?

Popeyejones

Reaction score
WilsonMVP":3uvruv2t said:

Three reasons, in order of importance:

1) He's the only guy listed who signed his extension before Aaron Rodgers', and it was the Aaron Rodgers contract that changed the game for QB contract expectations.

2) He still had two years left on his current deal, rather than the typical single year left on his deal (or god forbid) looming FA.

3) The deal came with nearly 50 million in new guaranteed money in its first 24 months.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
Ramfan128":74f9qvag said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":74f9qvag said:
Ramfan128":74f9qvag said:
They'll pay him whatever he wants. It'll be interesting as he's now had multiple examples of why QBs shouldn't take $20+ million per year.

If the Panthers win I think Newton would be the first $20 mil per year QB to ever win the super bowl.

Realistically, he deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL, because he has the next contract up. That seems to be the right of any franchise QB.

I would take Luck over any QB except Rodgers when starting a franchise, so he should probably be paid the 2nd highest QB salary based on that thinking.

If he was smart, he'd ask for around $18 mil per year as that would leave the team a tremendous amount of flexibility.

Even when Wilson, with an inferior line, puts up better numbers? I guess there's no mystery in why you're a Lambs fan....

Is offensive line the only thing that matters for a QBs success? And I seem to remember the Seahawks Oline doing very well when Wilson was on his tear. And the years prior to this that Oline was an elite run blocking unit.

Too many variables to compare players like that....same thing I always say...trade Wilson for Luck straight up and the Colts are terrible, while the Seahawks would never lose. Just an opinion of course, but I bet you if the Colts offered the trade right now, even Pete Carroll would jump on it.

Now I know you're delusional. Might lay off the liquor so early in the morning, or is it heroin?

Pete sought out Wilson specifically, has a Super Bowl Trophy to show for it. Pete would laugh off any trade, I'm certain of that.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
SeAhAwKeR4life":2detu18v said:
Ramfan128":2detu18v said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":2detu18v said:
Ramfan128":2detu18v said:
They'll pay him whatever he wants. It'll be interesting as he's now had multiple examples of why QBs shouldn't take $20+ million per year.

If the Panthers win I think Newton would be the first $20 mil per year QB to ever win the super bowl.

Realistically, he deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL, because he has the next contract up. That seems to be the right of any franchise QB.

I would take Luck over any QB except Rodgers when starting a franchise, so he should probably be paid the 2nd highest QB salary based on that thinking.

If he was smart, he'd ask for around $18 mil per year as that would leave the team a tremendous amount of flexibility.

Even when Wilson, with an inferior line, puts up better numbers? I guess there's no mystery in why you're a Lambs fan....

Is offensive line the only thing that matters for a QBs success? And I seem to remember the Seahawks Oline doing very well when Wilson was on his tear. And the years prior to this that Oline was an elite run blocking unit.

Too many variables to compare players like that....same thing I always say...trade Wilson for Luck straight up and the Colts are terrible, while the Seahawks would never lose. Just an opinion of course, but I bet you if the Colts offered the trade right now, even Pete Carroll would jump on it.

Now I know you're delusional. Might lay off the liquor so early in the morning, or is it heroin?

Pete sought out Wilson specifically, has a Super Bowl Trophy to show for it. Pete would laugh off any trade, I'm certain of that.

Remember Wilson has a ring, and Luck doesn't even have a Super Bowl loss.

Vetamur

Reaction score
Ramfan128":16jo07yw said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":16jo07yw said:
Ramfan128":16jo07yw said:

The Colts were decent with Hasselbeck at QB this year...40 year old Hasselbeck. But theyd be terrible with Wilson? Because he couldnt hit Hilton? Suddenly Wilson wouldnt have escapability? Losing credibility in bucket loads when you are still saying things like this in 2016..

mrt144

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1sckhwyi said:
Ramfan128":1sckhwyi said:

He cares more about winning because financially his wife essentially pulls in 2-3x as much as he does. Or do you "see" that he cares more? is it in his eyes?

And the Pats have a contract with a company he has a financial stake in.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
peachesenregalia":3uco91h1 said:
Talking out of your arse. You pointed to 43TDs and over 5000 yards as evidence that Luck deserves huge money, I pointed out the fact that you cherry-picked favorable stats and challenged you to provide some other stats that might paint a larger overall picture. All of this because you accused Ross of being subjective, when you were guilty of that yourself. Then you bring up some bollocks about how this is secretly about Wilson - it isn't. Learn how to hold together a cogent argument.

You're confusing yourself and attacking me for it.

I didn't accuse anyone of being subjective. Vert said there's no objective reason why Luck should get paid a lot. I responded with some.

Then you and other posters who don't think Luck is any good (or, have convinced yourself that praise is a finite resource and any compliment of Luck's ability takes away a compliment from Wilson) responded with your own arguments and stats about why he's not good.

That's all that happened. Calm down, dude.

I decided to leave it at that because this thead about Andrew Luck has already happened countless times on this forum and the same arguments have been leveraged over and over again countless times. Why do it again just to get back to where we started again?

As for my belief that the regularity with which Luck gets trashed on this board has a lot to do with Hawks fans' (IMO silly) perceived slights about Russell Wilson, I've said that also many, many times before. It's not a new opinion, nor is it a particularly indefensible one as more often than not in threads about Luck here it is the subject being discussed.

Scottemojo

Reaction score
I think his deal will eclipse Rogers.

Market. Market. Market.

Everything else is semantics.

Anything else and Luck is doing the Colts a favor. Which I do not at all expect.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
^^^^ You brought up Wilson. Not me.

My only mention of Wilson in this thread was to explain why I didn't want to go around the horn again on how overrated and garbage Andrew Luck really is, as I've already done that thread countless times.

You can keep cursing all you want but it's still not gonna change that.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I was looking for someone to argue with but it would seem all of the usual suspects have already paired up... damn.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Laloosh":10vdvegi said:
I was looking for someone to argue with but it would seem all of the usual suspects have already paired up... damn.

:lol: :lol:

peachesenregalia":10vdvegi said:
Never said Luck is garbage, but I'm fairly confident he's overrated. But please, go ahead and try to obfuscate and skirt the central issue so that you don't have to actually show why you disagree with him being overrated.

Feel free to mentally erase the word "garbage" from my post and just stick with overrated.

The "central issue" is if Luck is going to get a big contract or not, which we agree upon, so I don't understand what you think I'm skirting.

If you want to know my evaluation of Luck's game, where he excels, where he needs to improve, etc. you can just use the search function for the last time we had this same conversation. Nothing has changed for me.

Popeyejones

Reaction score
Scottemojo":1okim0fk said:

Yeah, + or - Rodgers is really the key question on this one, IMO.

One the hand four years is FOREVER in NFL time for a top contract to not be eclipsed for a positional group, but on the other hand, Rodgers' deal came in after the NFLPA got taken to the cleaners on the CBA and we had five years or so of almost a flat salary cap (the deal was so bad they had to steal from the pension fund to keep the cap from decreasing).

Scottemojo

Reaction score
Popeyejones":w7n9f17a said:
Scottemojo":w7n9f17a said:

Yeah, + or - Rodgers is really the key question on this one, IMO.

One the hand four years is FOREVER in NFL time for a top contract to not be eclipsed for a positional group, but on the other hand, Rodgers' deal came in after the NFLPA got taken to the cleaners on the CBA and we had five years or so of almost a flat salary cap (the deal was so bad they had to steal from the pension fund to keep the cap from decreasing).
Agreed.
should Luck hit free agency in 3 years after the Colts did not re-sign and franchised for 2, which is the worst case scenario for the Colts, there would be teams even with good QBs tempted to go after Luck.
I think his negatives would not slow down many teams at all. I think he could have another couple of years like he did this year, even without injury, and teams would line up for him.

Thus the price tag this year.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Popeyejones":v1c8ubcc said:
^^^^

1) You're shifting the terms of the conversation from if there are objective reasons why he'll get paid a lot to reasons why you prefer Wilson to him as a QB.

2) As I've said before, I'm not much interested in debating the ins and outs of Luck's game with Seahawks fans, as 9 times out of 10 the conversation I want to have about Andrew Luck is always secretly for Hawks fans actually a conversation about Russell Wilson. As I've said before it's a comparison and imagined slight that almost exclusively resides within the minds of Hawks fans, and I really don't see any upside in debating it as 1) personally I don't find it that interesting and 2) I have better things to do than to spend an afternoon pushing a rock up a mountain. :lol: They're both really good. What of it?

I'm convinced you really don't even see your own agenda.

Go back and read the 5 posts before yours and pay attention. No one was making comparisons to wilson at least not more than any other QB. You are the one trying to do that and do it in an insulting fasion that pits Seahawks fans as delusional and blinded.

Why not just take the challenge of explaining why you believe Luck is so elite and try and back it up with some statistical proof.

Stop exaggerating coments of others by changing statements like he is over rated (to much statistical info to list backs this up) to he is garbage. It's not the same even if you get offended because someone else might not believe the hype you obviously do.

kearly

Reaction score
Vetamur":373cj5qx said:
Overall, Luck really is a more mobile Stafford , who also has 5000 yards in a season and 41 tds in a regular season. No one considers Stafford a Hall of Famer and I dont think the Lions are quite happy they had to spend bucks to keep him but when you have a QB thats a B or B+ level you have to.

Good points.

Laloosh

Reaction score
I think Luck and Stafford are decent comparisons. Newton has similar volume to Wilson with the lower efficiency numbers of a Luck or Stafford.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Laloosh":1rggxvcw said:

They doing a 2step or a waltz? I cant quite tell from over here. :twisted: :stirthepot: