So...what kind of contract is Luck going to get?

Overseasfan

Reaction score
Luck massively whiffed this year. Most people with a year like that would be more likely to be cut than to get extended. Never mind a big contract.

The reality is that Luck has already proven that he's a baller in college and he has shown that this at least to some degree translates to his pro game. He's also still young and could very well still get a lot better.

The big issue here is that it's a gamble. He could end up like RG3 and Kaep, starting out strong but eventually not even having the starting job. He could be like Stafford or Dalton. An average starting QB. Enough to win you plenty of games, hard to replace but unlikely to bring you post-season succes. Or he could have a season like Cam and Russ had this year and continue to be a top 3 QB for 10+ years like Brady and Manning.

The first option is quite a bit of a stretch. Options B and C or somewhere inbetween is my guess. Also taking the rising cap into account I do expect a top end deal like Rodgers but I don't think paying him much more than that would be wise or realistic

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Wins and losses are a TEAM stat, not a QB stat.

Winning super bowls is a team accomplishment. Bad QBs have won super bowls. Therefore a QB winning a super bowl does not necessarily mean he is a good player.

It then also stands to reason that losing in the playoffs and super bowl does not mean someone is a bad player. Great QBs have never won a super bowl (Dan Marino).

There are QBs that have won super bowls that will never be considered better than Dan Marino.

While Seahawk fans tend to discredit stats like yards due to volume, they ignore that the coaching, offense and scheme you play in has a big impact on completion percentage, which then drives yards, YPA, and TDs. Your teammates also factor into this. A better defense will get you turnovers and better field position. A better running game will open things up in the passing game.

Finally, Tony Romo had a better year than almost every QB in 2014, yet nobody considers him the best QB in the NFL. One great season does not make a great QB, just as one bad season does not make a terrible QB.

Optimus25

Reaction score
Ramfan128":3eniiybk said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":3eniiybk said:
Ramfan128":3eniiybk said:
They'll pay him whatever he wants. It'll be interesting as he's now had multiple examples of why QBs shouldn't take $20+ million per year.

If the Panthers win I think Newton would be the first $20 mil per year QB to ever win the super bowl.

Realistically, he deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL, because he has the next contract up. That seems to be the right of any franchise QB.

I would take Luck over any QB except Rodgers when starting a franchise, so he should probably be paid the 2nd highest QB salary based on that thinking.

If he was smart, he'd ask for around $18 mil per year as that would leave the team a tremendous amount of flexibility.

Even when Wilson, with an inferior line, puts up better numbers? I guess there's no mystery in why you're a Lambs fan....

Is offensive line the only thing that matters for a QBs success? And I seem to remember the Seahawks Oline doing very well when Wilson was on his tear. And the years prior to this that Oline was an elite run blocking unit.

Too many variables to compare players like that....same thing I always say...trade Wilson for Luck straight up and the Colts are terrible, while the Seahawks would never lose. Just an opinion of course, but I bet you if the Colts offered the trade right now, even Pete Carroll would jump on it.

You're like a really unfunny troll. At least the good trolls make me laugh at their trollness.

I'll tell you who would jump ALL over a Wilson-luck trade:

Chuck Pagano.

Also, and i still can't believe I'm taking the time to respond to ignorance, but hey, I'm kind of new to this offseason thing, you wouldn't understand, but anyways the luck Seahawks would not be better than the Wilson Seahawks and it's not even close by a mile. Insinuating this just makes you look like you are one of those 'soccer is a real sport' guys.

Go find a Sounders forum to troll.

Ramfan128

Reaction score
Optimus25":3apuyaez said:
Ramfan128":3apuyaez said:
SeAhAwKeR4life":3apuyaez said:
Ramfan128":3apuyaez said:
They'll pay him whatever he wants. It'll be interesting as he's now had multiple examples of why QBs shouldn't take $20+ million per year.

If the Panthers win I think Newton would be the first $20 mil per year QB to ever win the super bowl.

Realistically, he deserves to be the highest paid player in the NFL, because he has the next contract up. That seems to be the right of any franchise QB.

I would take Luck over any QB except Rodgers when starting a franchise, so he should probably be paid the 2nd highest QB salary based on that thinking.

If he was smart, he'd ask for around $18 mil per year as that would leave the team a tremendous amount of flexibility.

Even when Wilson, with an inferior line, puts up better numbers? I guess there's no mystery in why you're a Lambs fan....

Is offensive line the only thing that matters for a QBs success? And I seem to remember the Seahawks Oline doing very well when Wilson was on his tear. And the years prior to this that Oline was an elite run blocking unit.

Too many variables to compare players like that....same thing I always say...trade Wilson for Luck straight up and the Colts are terrible, while the Seahawks would never lose. Just an opinion of course, but I bet you if the Colts offered the trade right now, even Pete Carroll would jump on it.

You're like a really unfunny troll. At least the good trolls make me laugh at their trollness.

I'll tell you who would jump ALL over a Wilson-luck trade:

Chuck Pagano.

Also, and i still can't believe I'm taking the time to respond to ignorance, but hey, I'm kind of new to this offseason thing, you wouldn't understand, but anyways the luck Seahawks would not be better than the Wilson Seahawks and it's not even close by a mile. Insinuating this just makes you look like you are one of those 'soccer is a real sport' guys.

Go find a Sounders forum to troll.

You are ridiculous - talk about trolling, why say that you're new to this offseason thing? That's an obvious slight to my favorite team, intended to be a dig at me - essentially the definition of trolling. It's also stupid, because even when the Seahawks went to the superbowl, your offseason lasted one month less than mine. So the last two years you've still had an offseason that lasted roughly 6 months rather than 7, but you're new to it?

Russell Wilson is a good QB, but there are better QBs, and the Seahawks would be a better team with said better QBs. There's nothing wrong with that statement as it's true of 99% of the players/teams in the NFL.

Somebody else brought up Luck/Wilson, and I shared my thoughts at that point. I'm not the only one that thinks this way - I'm sure there are a lot of people outside of Seattle that would take Luck over Wilson. Not a big deal.

Insinuating that the Seahawks with Luck would be better than with Wilson makes me look like that? Lol...okay. Take off your blinders and accept the fact that Wilson is not the best QB in the NFL. You're also probably one of the guys that thinks the Seahawks have the best roster in the NFL.....and then won't acknowledge how that roster can elevate a QBs play.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
Ram128 your all over the place.

Statistically it is hard to ignore what Wilson has done his first 4 years and how it compares to every other QB in football right now. Now factor most QB's don't hit thier stride until the 4th or 5th year. Wilson showed glimpses this year of what his future might look like and that was without a dominating run game and a putrid O-line.

I'm sure your right that there are still people that would take Luck over Wilson but just like when they were drafted based on prrformance to date those people would be grossly wrong. You can deny it but you would just look silly.

As for roster the Seahawks definitely have one of the most talented rosters but even with that the most important component that helps or hurts the QB production is the O-line so yeah we have a talented roster and yes it is hurting Wilson's production.

I'm sure as a Rams fan seeing all those top 5 picks and still not being in the conversation, probably makes you a little bias but please tell us what has kept this team at or near the top if not for Wilson and the talent?

For an exersize you should go watch Rogers without Jennings and behind an O-line while struggling was still probably better than any pro O-line Wilson has ever played behind. Believe it or not protecting your QB is one of the most important things you can do. Look at Cam Newton this year behind one of the best O-lines in the league. If and when that line declines so will Cam. Gauranteed.

5_Golden_Rings

Reaction score
SacHawk2.0":2v8pjj6e said:
Before the season, everyone thought whatever Russ got was going to be outdone be Luck.

But he shit the bed in a big way this season before going out with a lacerated kidney. So what does he get?
He played with a torn abdominal muscle so in sure he'll still get paid.