So why is C-Mike so good all of a sudden?

vin.couve12

Reaction score
Yep, Michael is a freak athlete for sure.

I will say that a lot of being a RB is in the head though and I'm not just talking about assignments and acting out play structure. Even in running the football it's often an innate measure of when to cut, when to burst, when to cover the ball, how you take on contact with your center of gravity, etc and that's all just pure running stuff. I played the position for years and while a good portion of it is innate, it can also be developed over time.

LeSean McCoy is a really good exhibit A. He's actually a fairly poor athlete for the position with the exception of some really good lateral quickness and center of gravity. The reason why he's good...or WAS good, is because his mind can perceive the "when" much faster than most others along with his very natural pass receiving/ball skills.

There's a difference between an athlete and a football player. It's when both come together that you have something special and that can take years for some. I remember this all the way back to players like Willie Gault when I used to love to watch Sweetness as a kid. Gault was another one of those that was kind of a heartbreaker for years before he finally started being a football player. I think I remember he went to the Raiders after the Bears and they had about four of those WRs that were in the same mold. Some of them world class sprinters that just couldn't figure out how to be a WR and the Raiders have continued that trend for decades.

I think most of Michael's issues really are just growing up though. I also think this horse is probably already dead in a lot of ways. Michael was a good back for us over the last 4 games last year. Kid got drafted in the 2nd, got some money, wanted to be a rapper, etc and got punched in the mouth with reality. It happens to a lot of us and that's essentially over now as it would seem.

vin.couve12

Reaction score
dogorama":2w48wju5 said:
RussB":2w48wju5 said:
vin.couve12":2w48wju5 said:
The mental aspect is just now using SOME of the physical. If his mind ever catches up to his body completely he'd be one of the best backs in the NFL. I posted in the gameday thread that he's the best athlete on the field at any given time. Check these out....

ExistingRB

HistoricalRB
Thats pretty impressive.

I hadn't seen that before, it's just incredible. I am watching him run and if you notice he is putting great emphasis on wrapping up the ball, particularly at the end of his runs and that is partially why those runs end. When he wraps up he bends forward and the momentum takes him down before he is even tackled sometimes. Once he gets that figured out he'll tear off some really long gains. In the meantime I'm sure PC is just happy that he isn't fumbling.
Kearly has touched on that a few times and he's right, as are you. I think it's one of those things that's an emphasis that will slowly fade though. It's a process....

McGruff

Reaction score
vin.couve12":1b3cujap said:

I will say that a lot of being a RB is in the head though and I'm not just talking about assignments and acting out play structure. Even in running the football it's often an innate measure of when to cut, when to burst, when to cover the ball, how you take on contact with your center of gravity, etc and that's all just pure running stuff. I played the position for years and while a good portion of it is innate, it can also be developed over time.

LeSean McCoy is a really good exhibit A. He's actually a fairly poor athlete for the position with the exception of some really good lateral quickness and center of gravity. The reason why he's good...or WAS good, is because his mind can perceive the "when" much faster than most others along with his very natural pass receiving/ball skills.

There's a difference between an athlete and a football player. It's when both come together that you have something special and that can take years for some. I remember this all the way back to players like Willie Gault when I used to love to watch Sweetness as a kid. Gault was another one of those that was kind of a heartbreaker for years before he finally started being a football player. I think I remember he went to the Raiders after the Bears and they had about four of those WRs that were in the same mold. Some of them world class sprinters that just couldn't figure out how to be a WR and the Raiders have continued that trend for decades.

I think most of Michael's issues really are just growing up though. I also think this horse is probably already dead in a lot of ways. Michael was a good back for us over the last 4 games last year. Kid got drafted in the 2nd, got some money, wanted to be a rapper, etc and got punched in the mouth with reality. It happens to a lot of us and that's essentially over now as it would seem.

I'm telling you. NZT-48

vin.couve12

Reaction score
McGruff":2w7ui73a said:
vin.couve12":2w7ui73a said:

I'm telling you. NZT-48

I had to look that up. Good call. :lol:

DavidSeven

Reaction score
I think he's always looked good from a physical standpoint. From day 1. Look at his career YPC.

However, in prior preseasons, he would often make some critical mistake that would negate his positive runs. Generally, that had to do with ball security. He's now clearly focused on wrapping it up better and getting down at contact, even if he may be giving up a half yard or so on each run. Ultimately, for him, it's probably worth the trade off.

chris98251

Reaction score
Kid wanted to live in the spot light but didn't know how to work and perform in it, being told and mentored didn't stick either, took a severe slap of reality. The gifts he was given as a athlete made him head and shoulders better his whole life then most he competed with, on the semi even playing field of the NFL I think he had adjustment issues.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
RussB":35rtff3f said:
Dude is just looking sensational so far even though its preseason this is the best hes looked. Makes cuts super quick and is quick to the edge and finds running lanes super fast and storms through them, also isnt fumbling every carry like he used to. Did it really take him this long to put it all together? He could give rawls a serious run for his money this season.
Credit Rawls for showing him how to win a spot on the "Always Compete" roster.
Getting shipped out and not making an all out push to impress in Dallas, Seattle gives him another chance to prove that he truly wants a job in the NFL....No more screwing around and playing half heartedly....He's got it.

Hawkpower

Reaction score
dogorama":34hclamn said:
The prospect of having to work a real job can make people do extraordinary things.

The threat of working twice as much for 1/20th of the salary will indeed motivate most.

bighawk

Reaction score
No one has mentioned it but he just had a child.that will humble and give you extra motivation to play harder. He is physically gifted but this opportunity he almost lost because he wasn't willing to study his craft.

theincrediblesok

Reaction score
bighawk":33z0atia said:
No one has mentioned it but he just had a child.that will humble and give you extra motivation to play harder. He is physically gifted but this opportunity he almost lost because he wasn't willing to study his craft.

Your probably right, his son's name is Christine Michael Jr, and his jersey was changed to Sr. I guess it works in different ways for different people, Percy Harvin had a baby in 2013 and didn't change his attitude.

SeAhAwKeR4life

Reaction score
I was high on C-Mikes talent, and when he came back I had a feeling things would work out. Glad to see he hasn't disappointed. I think in the run game this team is in a better place than it's ever been. Don't get me wrong, how could you not love the Beast? All the same though, having just one Marshawn was always a risk, now we have three very solid backs. I think we are more of a threat to win it all this year than we have ever been. Go SEAHAWKS! :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: :icon_new: