Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Juraez says Hansen was given a free pass by the press through it all.
“The media created this fiction (about him),” she said, “There was no team. There was no arena. They were not shovel ready.
Juarez says it didn’t help because Hansen was always missing a vital part of the equation.
“A deal was a deal. Mr. Hansen did not come up with a team. Nobody wants to hold Mr. Hansen to what he was supposed to deliver,” Juarez said “Had Mr. Hansen come forward with a basketball team, that would have been a completely different -– pardon the pun –- ballgame. But he didn’t. It was a failed MOU, and the city did not fail. Mr. Hansen did.”

Ok....

But now she's talking about her precious Key Arena MOU....

They voted 7-1 to approve the MOU on Monday.
Juarez says she’s not going to promise an NHL team or NBA team will play in the building because, “It would be hypocritical of me to say that is true,” with a “pretend team in a pretend arena.”

Uuummmm, am I missing something here?

Double standard?

Still to this day it's like she doesnt understand the SodoArena MOU was just to be shovel ready when a team was acquired. She held them to a higher standard than the KeyArena. Which she admits they might never get a team.

It failed b/c they refused to give up a 1 block dead end alley. God she's infuriating.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
This whole arena issue is politics at its worst!

IMHO Hanson (who should be hailed as a hero) played it too nice, and the Seattle City Council walked all over him because of it. Plus the Port is in the Seattle City Councils pockets and wants the land down there that Hanson now owns.

I’ll be very happy to get the NHL here. ....though I don’t like how it when down and the Key arena is in a horrible location traffic and parking wise.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":38npu51h said:
Juraez says Hansen was given a free pass by the press through it all.
“The media created this fiction (about him),” she said, “There was no team. There was no arena. They were not shovel ready.
Juarez says it didn’t help because Hansen was always missing a vital part of the equation.
“A deal was a deal. Mr. Hansen did not come up with a team. Nobody wants to hold Mr. Hansen to what he was supposed to deliver,” Juarez said “Had Mr. Hansen come forward with a basketball team, that would have been a completely different -– pardon the pun –- ballgame. But he didn’t. It was a failed MOU, and the city did not fail. Mr. Hansen did.”

Ok....

But now she's talking about her precious Key Arena MOU....

They voted 7-1 to approve the MOU on Monday.
Juarez says she’s not going to promise an NHL team or NBA team will play in the building because, “It would be hypocritical of me to say that is true,” with a “pretend team in a pretend arena.”

Uuummmm, am I missing something here?

Double standard?

Still to this day it's like she doesnt understand the SodoArena MOU was just to be shovel ready when a team was acquired. She held them to a higher standard than the KeyArena. Which she admits they might never get a team.

It failed b/c they refused to give up a 1 block dead end alley. God she's infuriating.
The problem with most of the SCC is they didn’t want to know the facts because it went against their agenda to revive the money pit known as key arena. Plus they are being “compensated” by the Port.

chris98251

Reaction score
The thing that cracks me up is her interview, she's a real lady and looks to be easily offended by some of the peoples remarks, Not Hansen's but held him accountable for them.

When a public figure in a interview talks like this it sounds more like she should be in a Bar having a few drinks and speaking to a bunch of the cast of Sons of Anarchy.

"I’m about delivering and getting shit done," Juarez said.

“You don’t even know [mod edit] what I’ve done,” Juarez said, talking indirectly about the fans who criticized her vote last year, who hadn’t see the research she did before the SoDo arena street vacation vote.

“It shoulda been called a hate crime,” Juarez said. She says, in detail, there were calls to her office saying they knew where she lived and, according to Juarez, there were social media threats to her children and Seattle Police were forced to come to her house.
“It wasn’t backlash,” she said, “It was violent.”

“I was slapped upside the head for being a woman, and having an opinion about a sport,” Juarez said.

She went after him and did a work around, they took the approach of being counter Hansen and Leiweke being savvy himself took advantage, pretty sure if anything viable was presented they would approve this out of spite and to posture themselves politically going forward.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":2ibigfsn said:
She went after him and did a work around, they took the approach of being counter Hansen and Leiweke being savvy himself took advantage, pretty sure if anything viable was presented they would approve this out of spite and to posture themselves politically going forward.

Hansen knew what he had to do, Juarez is right about that part.

That's why he went so hard after the Kings, he knew that the temperament of the councils was "get a team first, then we'll discuss the SODO project more seriously."

The problem was the NBA was the opposite "get the arena, then we'll discuss a team."

Having said all this, doesn't excuse Juarez's comments. She's just like every other politician, taking this as an opportunity to create some narrative where she looks like a victim, then a hero.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
chris98251":mype763l said:
The thing that cracks me up is her interview, she's a real lady and looks to be easily offended by some of the peoples remarks, Not Hansen's but held him accountable for them.

When a public figure in a interview talks like this it sounds more like she should be in a Bar having a few drinks and speaking to a bunch of the cast of Sons of Anarchy.

"I’m about delivering and getting shit done," Juarez said.

“You don’t even know [mod edit] what I’ve done,” Juarez said, talking indirectly about the fans who criticized her vote last year, who hadn’t see the research she did before the SoDo arena street vacation vote.

“It shoulda been called a hate crime,” Juarez said. She says, in detail, there were calls to her office saying they knew where she lived and, according to Juarez, there were social media threats to her children and Seattle Police were forced to come to her house.
“It wasn’t backlash,” she said, “It was violent.”

“I was slapped upside the head for being a woman, and having an opinion about a sport,” Juarez said.

Looks like she proved her critics right.

Crizilla

Reaction score
Jenny Durkan had to throw in "give me millions more for non profit organizations and I'll sign". Lol oh Seattle

IndyHawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":3dveana2 said:
IndyHawk":3dveana2 said:
I cannot wait for the NHL..I never had a hockey jersey before but I will.

You gotta call it a hockey "sweater" so you can sound like a legit fan..............and yes I'm super excited. I loved my Sonics, but I'm a bigger hockey fan.

And if you've never been to a hockey match, there's no better sport to see in person than hockey. It's incredible.
Whatever it is -I will get one..I have been to hockey games (not pro)they are fun to watch live.
On tv is another story..Same with soccer and car racing

Glasgow Seahawk

Reaction score
IndyHawk":3ebhikcm said:
Sgt. Largent":3ebhikcm said:
IndyHawk":3ebhikcm said:

You gotta call it a hockey "sweater" so you can sound like a legit fan..............and yes I'm super excited. I loved my Sonics, but I'm a bigger hockey fan.

And if you've never been to a hockey match, there's no better sport to see in person than hockey. It's incredible.
Whatever it is -I will get one..I have been to hockey games (not pro)they are fun to watch live.

...and baseball! Ask pretty much anyone in the UK that and then ask them once they've been to an actual baseball game.

Football barring seahawks games is usually better on tv imo.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
IndyHawk":1bgmqjqv said:
Sgt. Largent":1bgmqjqv said:
IndyHawk":1bgmqjqv said:

It's much easier to get into a sport when you're emotionally invested.

So watching a home hockey team will be easy on TV once you're emotionally invested because it's our team, as opposed to just watching some Hockey Night in Canada weekday match.

I'm a Sounders season ticket holder, and I've converted many a non-soccer fan by taking them to a couple matches. Like hockey, once you see it in person, you're usually hooked.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
OMG ITS HAPPENING!!!

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KING5Seattle/status/938907041464123392[/tweet]

[tweet]https://twitter.com/KING5Seattle/status/938907561037676545[/tweet]

Boycie

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":13xx7dxy said:
OMG ITS HAPPENING!!!

This is awesome news. The Canucks need a rival so close to home for guys roadtrips.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Ace_Rimmer":3le5587n said:
twisted_steel2":3le5587n said:
OMG ITS HAPPENING!!!

This is awesome news. The Canucks need a rival so close to home for guys roadtrips.
Me likely!!!!! :2thumbs:

Exittium

Reaction score
Curious to see if all said and done, if it happens what they do for the name, ie something new, or a return of the 1st US team to win the stanely cup, Metropolitans.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Kings if were good
Sockeye if were ok
Chums if were bad.
Pinks if were soft
Steelheads if we're tough.

chris98251

Reaction score
Seattle City Council, will strike fear into all who come here.

I liked the name SeattleTotems from the old days though.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
chris98251":ye4gzuk5 said:
Seattle City Council, will strike fear into all who come here.

I liked the name SeattleTotems from the old days though.

Yeah, I actually like it too, it's classic old school as opposed to something that sounds gimmicky and trendy.

Latest posts