the New Draft thread - post Geno Signing

Vesuve

Reaction score
If this thread is redundant please delete.

I've heard some references scattered about due to the new draft scenarios after Geno's 3-year deal.

So, what should the 'Hawks draft now and what do you think they will draft now at #5 in the first and for the rest of the draft?

Seattle Person

Reaction score
They
If this thread is redundant please delete.

I've heard some references scattered about due to the new draft scenarios after Geno's 3-year deal.

So, what should the 'Hawks draft now and what do you think they will draft now at #5 in the first and for the rest of the draft

They can go in whatever way and i'll probably be happy. There are a lot of great options at #5.

OP
OP
Vesuve

Vesuve

Reaction score
I think they would have to be thinking defense . Especially since Geno is the man moving forward. I'm relieved they were able to sign him.
I'm think this also.

I've been reading up on the list of available DTs and DEs in the top 10.

OP
OP
Vesuve

Vesuve

Reaction score
They

They can go in whatever way and i'll probably be happy. There are a lot of great options at #5.
I have faith in PCJS....they've had some misses in the past like everyone.

But after last year's picks I'm very confident for April 27th coming up.

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
I would even consider them trading down and gather a few more pics to get a better cadre to work out the diamonds in the rough.

WarHawks

Reaction score
Build the trenches and draft a QB1. We have the draft capital and cap space to do both.

onanygivensunday

Reaction score
Nothing has really changed.

With Geno re-signed, Pete and John can go in any direction they want... could be QB at #5 (AR15 or Levis)... could be Dline at #5... could be a trade down and still be Dline.

What matters more is who they cut, re-sign, or sign as street FAs and/or UFAs before the draft.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
I would take Hooker ahead of Levis but I wouldn't even try for a QB this year before we're through the second round.

There are a bunch of interesting QB prospects after the big 4 to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Haener, DTR, Duggan, McKee, Hooker, Hall..............any would be a good later QB pick to develop as a backup and potential future starter if they really develop quickly.

Next years class might be even deeper, but if there's one this year that we covet? Then no better time in Pete and John's tenure here to go get him with their draft capital.

Appyhawk

Reaction score
Ranch in Flint Hills of Kansas, formerly NW Montan
There are a bunch of interesting QB prospects after the big 4 to draft in the 2nd or 3rd round.

Haener, DTR, Duggan, McKee, Hooker, Hall..............any would be a good later QB pick to develop as a backup and potential future starter if they really develop quickly.

Next years class might be even deeper, but if there's one this year that we covet? Then no better time in Pete and John's tenure here to go get him with their draft capital.
So that's my problem. There isn't a QB prospect this year that I "covet". But there is one next year. I want to see this years high picks to be a defensive game changers and a guard and center for the O Line. We also need another RB. Too much that we need to use that high value draft capital on someone for the practice squad.

QWERTY

Reaction score
So you have 2 holes Center and Guard (Gabe Jackson) in case he gets cut.

You can't go DL, you need to draft a center and Franchise QB still like Richardson at 5.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
So that's my problem. There isn't a QB prospect this year that I "covet". But there is one next year. I want to see this years high picks to be a defensive game changers and a guard and center for the O Line. We also need another RB. Too much that we need to use that high value draft capital on someone for the practice squad.

I don't claim to know even close enough about most of the QB's I've listed, and you probably shouldn't either.

Casual fan watching games on TV or reading superficial draft grades isn't even 1% of what our scouts are drilling down on.

I trust John, if he wants to go after a QB later in the draft, I have no problem with that. Again, we have more than enough picks to do so this year, and we can assume will become even more picks as the draft goes along because that's what Schneider likes to do.

One thing we do know, we need a backup, so I'd rather draft one to develop and learn from Geno than pay a journeyman has been 2-3M.

Last edited:

James in PA

Reaction score
I'm tired of overthinking this thing and going through the billion different scenarios. Look, here it is: We simply need to land one of these dudes:

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Anthony Richardson

And here's the beautiful thing: At least one (but probably only one) is guaranteed to be there at 5! I don't want to hear about Tyree Wilson being linked to Seattle anymore. These mock idiots need to stop with that. It's either one of the 2 big D line studs who can help us right now OR an exciting as hell freakish QB of the future. If you're the Hawks, you rank those 3 and take BPA at 5.

Simple as that.

hawks85

Reaction score
Let's face it, Smith will probably have another great season, so with that being said, we have Smith for at least 2 years. Grab some Defense in that first round. Plenty of good QB's in next year's draft.

CactusJack

Reaction score
I'm tired of overthinking this thing and going through the billion different scenarios. Look, here it is: We simply need to land one of these dudes:

Jalen Carter
Will Anderson
Anthony Richardson

And here's the beautiful thing: At least one (but probably only one) is guaranteed to be there at 5! I don't want to hear about Tyree Wilson being linked to Seattle anymore. These mock idiots need to stop with that. It's either one of the 2 big D line studs who can help us right now OR an exciting as hell freakish QB of the future. If you're the Hawks, you rank those 3 and take BPA at 5.

Simple as that.
The only issue with this line of thinking is that both Anderson & Richardson could be gone before the pick.

While Carter could be completely removed from their draft board. Based on the information they gather.

So what do you do if none of those guys are an option? And you can't find a trade partner to move down.

Wilson might be your next best option. I would also consider Christian Gonzalez as BPA in that scenario.

Gonzalez has all the desired measurables for a CB & tested well. Most teams are going to have him as their CB1. Teaming him with Tariq could be special.

Last edited: