Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

Maulbert

Reaction score
Uncle Si":4pbiph6w said:
Like which MLS teams?

Sporting. United. Crew. When the Sounders joined, they wanted to call them Alliance or Republic. Those don't sound like sports teams, they sound like companies, and that's not even bringing up the stupid FC they have trailing most of them like a useless, vestigial tail.

Seahawk Sailor

Reaction score
California via Negros Occidental, Philippines
KitsapGuy":t83jpbpc said:
The Oak View Group registered 13 domain names giving fans a hint at what the proposed team might be named:

Seattle Cougars
Seattle Eagles
Seattle Emeralds
Seattle Evergreens
Seattle Firebirds
Seattle Kraken
Seattle Rainiers
Seattle Renegades
Seattle Sea Lions
Seattle Seals
Seattle Sockeyes
Seattle Totems
Seattle Whales

I'd be okay with a few of those names. Have a feeling it's going to be Sockeyes, which would be a name I'd be okay with. Some of those names are just cringey though. Most of them sound like little league or high school teams. Cougars, Emeralds, Sea Lions, Seals, Whales? Bleh! Please none of those!

And yeah, a couple like the Kraken and Firebirds are gimmicky and I don't really care for them, but they'd grow on the league like teams like the Ducks, Knights, Raptors, Chargers, etc.

KitsapGuy

Reaction score
Jay Inslee said it was going to be Totems. I guess we will soon find out.

Washington Governor Jay Inslee may have slipped up and revealed Seattle’s NHL team name last week while discussing a high-speed rail between Seattle and Vancouver.

Some fans are already hoping that Inslee was mistaken.

During the statement, Inslee said of the potential rail via Q13 Fox:

“We cannot wait to get on a high-speed rail line to come up and have the greatest hockey rivalry in North American which is the Seattle Totems versus the Vancouver Canucks.”

The Totems?

Now, the Totems were the city’s Western Hockey League team from 1958 through 1974, so there is history behind the name. But it’s also 2018, and given the other team options, it feels questionable for another professional sports team to use Native American imagery as a mascot.

https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/seattl ... -vancouver

I like Sockeye. But wouldn't that fall under Native American imagery as well?

Let's just get it over and done with. Either way, some people are going to like it. Some will not. :|

chris98251

Reaction score
Seattle Cougars - Do we need another team to say they Couged it?
Seattle Eagles - Philly has them why would we want to be second fiddle?
Seattle Emeralds - Sounds like a Female Roller derby team.
Seattle Evergreens - When I hear this I see [youtube]L7AIBlzCluc[/youtube]
Seattle Firebirds - How is that Northwest related? There was a cartoon named that
Seattle Kraken - My Preferred name I think they can do a lot with it.
Seattle Rainiers - Don't smear our first real Baseball teams name.
Seattle Renegades - There are a lot of different teams with this one.
Seattle Sea Lions - They are more known for Oregon and California except during the Salmon runs
Seattle Seals - No
Seattle Sockeyes -
220px-RichmondSockeyesLogo.jpg

Seattle Totems - Again it's the past lets be Original and not get into a Native American issue.
Seattle Whales - Orcas maybe not Whales, Slow Moving Plankton eaters, even something like Marauders with a Killer Whale I think would work better.

Msfann

Reaction score
I like Kraken and Sockeyes.

I wouldn't mind them being named The Sonics and sending a giant middle finger to the NBA but that's another discussion.

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sockeye's seems to be a safe choice, most everyone is ok with that one.

Versus some of the other names, like Kraken and Metro's which are really polarizing.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":twd9tra3 said:
Chawker":twd9tra3 said:
I don't care for any of the names that they have come up with. The only name I've got is.

"The Seattle Sawyers"

Which would turn KeyArena into the new Saw Mill. Ax blades for skates and painted on saw teeth on the sticks.

Evertime we scored a goal we play the sound of a high speed saw hitting a bolt, like after garry patton droppin a 3 and playing that hot rod engine. Now this could work for me.

modern day warriors
Mean, mean stride
Today's Seattle Sawyers..........................mean, mean pride
Hell yes! :irishdrinkers:

(don't like the name, just like the Rush reference)

chris98251

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":tqyc8c5j said:
Sockeye's seems to be a safe choice, most everyone is ok with that one.

Versus some of the other names, like Kraken and Metro's which are really polarizing.

I am pretty sure that if you serve Sockeye boiled, pan fried, baked, Bar b queued or sushi style it could be polarizing also.

D

DomeHawk

Seahawks1983":5sny48cf said:
Exittium":5sny48cf said:
Or we can name the Seattle Metropolitans .. after our original team that well had our city's 1st ever real championship .. you know the US's 1st ever Stanley Cup

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Metropolitans#The_United_States.27_first_Stanley_Cup Just redo some of those colors the Logo.

Just say no to this idea.

I like this "idea" but isn't one of the divisions called The Metropolitan Division?

I am guessing it will be the Sockeyes. Fits all the parameters.