Sonics/NHL/New arena thread

twisted_steel2

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1uim1wrp said:
Bobblehead":1uim1wrp said:
Breakers.

No team name Portland's ever used should be used on Washington State soil.

PortlandBreakers.gif

I think we had the name first! :D

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seattle_Thunderbirds

-The team was founded in 1971 as the Vancouver Nats of the Western Canada Hockey League (WCHL) but moved to Kamloops, British Columbia, to become the Kamloops Chiefs in 1973.
-In 1977 the team moved to Seattle and was renamed the Seattle Breakers.
-After the 1984–85 season, the Breakers were sold to new owners and renamed the Seattle Thunderbirds.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
twisted_steel2":2a4g6cz1 said:
Sgt. Largent":2a4g6cz1 said:
Bobblehead":2a4g6cz1 said:
Breakers.

PortlandBreakers.gif

-The team was founded in 1971 as the Vancouver Nats of the Western Canada Hockey League (WCHL) but moved to Kamloops, British Columbia, to become the Kamloops Chiefs in 1973.
-After the 1984–85 season, the Breakers were sold to new owners and renamed the Seattle Thunderbirds.

I appreciate your sales pitch, very well thought out and researched...................but this is like a crackhead stealing your car, crapping in it, having sex in it and setting it on fire. You just tell your insurance company to total it out, it's not salvageable.

Breakers has been tainted and ruined.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1omqse63 said:
twisted_steel2":1omqse63 said:
Sgt. Largent":1omqse63 said:
Bobblehead":1omqse63 said:
Breakers.

PortlandBreakers.gif

I appreciate your sales pitch, very well thought out and researched...................but this is like a crackhead stealing your car, crapping in it, having sex in it and setting it on fire. You just tell your insurance company to total it out, it's not salvageable.

Breakers has been tainted and ruined.

Well, I'm just not concerned with Portland or anything about Portland, Breakers would be a great name for our team.

Bobblehead

Reaction score
...and I think the trouble with the name Kraken, is it sounds gimmicky and pretentious.. It's like Sugar, tastes great, but soon you get tired of it...

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2mtpmxls said:
...and I think the trouble with the name Kraken, is it sounds gimmicky and pretentious.. It's like Sugar, tastes great, but soon you get tired of it...

I also think it's gimmicky, and isn't regional.............which IMO is important.

I like Steelhead or Totems.

But hell, call them anything you want, NHL HOCKEY BITCHES!!

Bobblehead

Reaction score
I'd rather see even, Big Tree,, Cedars, or even Mighty Cedars

Rapids.

I do like Aviators, or Argonauts for the space/air theme.

chris98251

Reaction score
Bobblehead":2cc3xltp said:
I'd rather see even, Big Tree,, Cedars, or even Mighty Cedars

Rapids.

I do like Aviators, or Argonauts for the space/air theme.

Only in Seattle can you have a Tree Hugger that's a Hockey Fan. :p

Chawker

Reaction score
I don't care for any of the names that they have come up with. The only name I've got is.

"The Seattle Sawyers"

Which would turn KeyArena into the new Saw Mill. Ax blades for skates and painted on saw teeth on the sticks.

Evertime we scored a goal we play the sound of a high speed saw hitting a bolt, like after garry patton droppin a 3 and playing that hot rod engine. Now this could work for me.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Chawker":1a24jv3c said:
I don't care for any of the names that they have come up with. The only name I've got is.

"The Seattle Sawyers"

Which would turn KeyArena into the new Saw Mill. Ax blades for skates and painted on saw teeth on the sticks.

Evertime we scored a goal we play the sound of a high speed saw hitting a bolt, like after garry patton droppin a 3 and playing that hot rod engine. Now this could work for me.

modern day warriors
Mean, mean stride
Today's Seattle Sawyers..........................mean, mean pride

chris98251

Reaction score
Well for a entrance I could see the lights going down, flashes of lighting, sound of wind and Thunder and "Release the Kraken" spoken, and then Enter the Sandman starts playing.

OP
OP
Sports Hernia

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2zmyxuww said:
Bobblehead":2zmyxuww said:

I also think it's gimmicky, and isn't regional.............which IMO is important.

I like Steelhead or Totems.

But hell, call them anything you want, NHL HOCKEY BITCHES!!
So much this! The only bad thing is they pushed it back a year (which will be better in the long run) but I’m an inpatient bastard...... whatever they end up rolling with, I will be getting a jersey, correct that ,“sweater”, early on! :2thumbs:

dopeboy206

Reaction score
Maulbert":28xdazx3 said:
chris98251":28xdazx3 said:

Seriously, that octopus isn't very intimidating. You act like there's an obvious difference. There isn't. Also, how is a kracken even vaguely tied to Seattle's culture? At least sockeye salmon have a geographical tie to the PNW.
why does everything have to be tied to Seattle's culture? Does Los Angeles have a bunch of lakes? Does Toronto have raptors? What does Giants have to do with NY or SF? How does the Ram fit into the Los Angeles culture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

chris98251

Reaction score
dopeboy206":3ixpzar5 said:
Maulbert":3ixpzar5 said:
chris98251":3ixpzar5 said:

Seriously, that octopus isn't very intimidating. You act like there's an obvious difference. There isn't. Also, how is a kracken even vaguely tied to Seattle's culture? At least sockeye salmon have a geographical tie to the PNW.
why does everything have to be tied to Seattle's culture? Does Los Angeles have a bunch of lakes? Does Toronto have raptors? What does Giants have to do with NY or SF? How does the Ram fit into the Los Angeles culture?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh and why? Maybe because the Team is in SEATTLE !

You want the team to be called the Seattle Longhorns, How about The Seattle Tinkerbells, Maybe the Seattle Highlanders or Scorpions, then there is the medical ones we could use. How about the Contagion.

Lakers came from their name when they were in Minnesota, Toronto was awarded a franchise after the first Jurassic Park, there were 5 Raptors working together in that Movie and it was cool at the time. Giants I think goes along with the Original Name of the Jets which was Titans, New York thing, San Francisco I don't know. The Rams were from Cleveland and Cleveland Rams, and played there from 1936 to 1945.

Now you know.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
dopeboy206":2vgj599b said:
]why does everything have to be tied to Seattle's culture? Does Los Angeles have a bunch of lakes? Does Toronto have raptors? What does Giants have to do with NY or SF? How does the Ram fit into the Los Angeles culture?

Doesn't HAVE to be, but a lot of people like that regional connection that makes the team OURS, and not just some generic sounding names that sound cheesy and lame.

Most of the great sports franchises IMO have a great local backstory or regional connection.

Totems, Steelhead, Sockeye, those names mean something here that they wouldn't mean elsewhere.....................and IMO that's cool. Kraken? meh, sound corny and generic.

chris98251

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":2ki248ve said:
dopeboy206":2ki248ve said:
]why does everything have to be tied to Seattle's culture? Does Los Angeles have a bunch of lakes? Does Toronto have raptors? What does Giants have to do with NY or SF? How does the Ram fit into the Los Angeles culture?

Doesn't HAVE to be, but a lot of people like that regional connection that makes the team OURS, and not just some generic sounding names that sound cheesy and lame.

Most of the great sports franchises IMO have a great local backstory or regional connection.

Totems, Steelhead, Sockeye, those names mean something here that they wouldn't mean elsewhere.....................and IMO that's cool. Kraken? meh, sound corny and generic.

Except Alaska, Canada, Oregon Northern California,

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
chris98251":1rpprwe5 said:
Sgt. Largent":1rpprwe5 said:
dopeboy206":1rpprwe5 said:

Except Alaska, Canada, Oregon Northern California,

re·gion·al
/ˈrēj(ə)n(ə)l/Submit
adjective
relating to or characteristic of a region.

Chawker

Reaction score
Do we know when they're going to release "it" to us.

I just can't believe that is all those eggheads could come up with, I feel embarrassed for the whole hockey community in general. No pride here for what they've done so far. :34853_doh: