Soon to be the End of the Pete Carroll Era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nash72

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":10rmuadb said:
That's not what Bevell said. Get your facts straight. Here's the actual quote:

"He could've done a better job of staying strong through the ball...Our guy's got to go hard to the ball as well."
http://sports.mynorthwest.com/8806/poor ... uper-bowl/

This indicates a complete lack of respect for Lockette and lack of accountability. He was the one who called the play to target a player with just 18 career receptions with the title on the line. In many ways the team has just not been quite the same ever since. Pete's ideology perhaps was questioned and players began to not fully buy in. Our team has remained competitive but there's been something lacking.

If you're satisfied with 10-6 type seasons and divisional round exits, then you'll be forever happy. For those of us that have been following the team since Patera, we realize these windows for a 2nd championship are limited and Pete needs to quickly ignite a spark and/or make some changes in the offseason. The era obviously is not over, but I'm not sure if we'll ever get that 2nd title with him. Let's hope they can go on a run now through the playoffs.

Great post.

I'm sorry, but after such a horrible and mentally draining call as the superbowl play was, somebody needs to answer for that. That was one instance in which I groaned that Paul Allen isnt more active in the decisions of operations. Any other owner wouldnt have put up with a call like that and would have made an example by firing the OC. Just moving along after that with an 'Oh Well' attitude is damaging to the teams psyche as I believe we have witnessed since it happened. Honestly, its hard to believe that there were no repercussions. I think the players are too. The edge and chip on the shoulder mentality disappeared as soon as that play was ran.

nash72

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":3ifqx0kc said:

Not according to the 1 1/2 year sample size we've seen so far. Sadly its only going to get worse.

SoulfishHawk

Reaction score
If that makes you feel better to assume the worst, have at it. Some of us actually believe in the team.
Go Hawks.

nash72

Reaction score
SoulfishHawk":cmr4eoxc said:
If that makes you feel better to assume the worst, have at it. Some of us actually believe in the team.
Go Hawks.

Cool. I wish I could fool myself into doing so too.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
One of the more absurd things on here is that Paul Allen would get involved with the daily football operations of the team. Do you know what makes him a good owner? He doesn't do that! He's not a micromanager like the guy who owns the Redskins. He lets his football people handle football operations and reaps the financial rewards and status that goes with being one of 32 owners.

This whole locker room schism being discussed on here recently is bogus hearsay by a couple posters with an axe to grind against Bevell. It's make-believe world stuff. There is no lingering effects from 2014 on this year's version of the Seahawks, a team which is far from being decimated as some on here would have you believe. Last I checked, we will win our division for the second time in three years, will likely get the No. 2 seed and a bye in the playoffs and are about to win the 17th of their last 21 games in December. Saying that this team is dealing with the lingering malaise of a play that happened 2 years ago is complete nonsense in my book.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
West TX Hawk":1zw7t96f said:

"He could've done a better job of staying strong through the ball...Our guy's got to go hard to the ball as well."

This indicates a complete lack of respect for Lockette and lack of accountability. He was the one who called the play to target a player with just 18 career receptions with the title on the line. In many ways the team has just not been quite the same ever since. Pete's ideology perhaps was questioned and players began to not fully buy in. Our team has remained competitive but there's been something lacking.

If you're satisfied with 10-6 type seasons and divisional round exits, then you'll be forever happy. For those of us that have been following the team since Patera, we realize these windows for a 2nd championship are limited and Pete needs to quickly ignite a spark and/or make some changes in the offseason. The era obviously is not over, but I'm not sure if we'll ever get that 2nd title with him. Let's hope they can go on a run now through the playoffs.
For the record it was: WE could've done a better job staying stronger to the ball." Emphasis on the WE. Win as a team lose as a team.

sutz

Reaction score
I can't help but believe that some of these low post count posters decrying the "end of the Pete Carroll era" are really closet Rams fans who hope to snag him as a coach in the near future.

:sarcasm_off: (well mostly sarcastic :laugh: )

Uncle Si

Reaction score
or.... people just want to vent.

There's not a ton of rationality in sports after a game, regardless of the outcome. Asking for it is rather pointless. Expecting it might be even more so.

SpokaneHawks

Reaction score
The Rams are showing just how inept they really are lately, aren't they? Front page of Yahoo has the Rams front office publicly saying they have Pete Carroll at the top of their list! LOL, "yeah we've beat the Seahawks a few times but we're really jealous of what they have and we're just dreaming we could lure Pete our way". Sorry suckers Pete's our coach as long as he wants to be and he deserves that right!

LeftHandSmoke

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":1n39j2rr said:
The Rams are showing just how inept they really are lately, aren't they? Front page of Yahoo has the Rams front office publicly saying they have Pete Carroll at the top of their list! LOL, "yeah we've beat the Seahawks a few times but we're really jealous of what they have and we're just dreaming we could lure Pete our way". Sorry suckers Pete's our coach as long as he wants to be and he deserves that right!
Geez, true. (but i can't imagine Uncle Paul letting that happen)

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-wishi ... 29864.html

Multiple sources with insight into the earliest stages of the Rams coaching search said there is a monster name that intrigues the power brokers inside the franchise: the Seattle Seahawks’ Pete Carroll. The same Pete Carroll who faces the Rams on Thursday night. The same Pete Carroll who resides inside the NFC West. And the same Pete Carroll who is under contract with Seattle through the 2019 season.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
SpokaneHawks":13alvzrx said:

Why wouldn't he be at the top of their list?

Any coaching change you shoot for the stars. So it's not big news that names like Carroll, Harbaugh and Gruden are their top choices.

Doesn't mean he's going, but this isn't apathetic small market St. Louis anymore. The Ram's head coaching job is a very good job being in that market, with an owner with deep pockets and a new stadium.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Thread is still about Pete Carroll.

Pack it in and take it to another thread.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Sgt. Largent":1f7truw7 said:
SpokaneHawks":1f7truw7 said:

Any coaching change you shoot for the stars. So it's not big news that names like Carroll, Harbaugh and Gruden are their top choices.

Doesn't mean he's going, but this isn't apathetic small market St. Louis anymore. The Ram's head coaching job is a very good job being in that market, with an owner with deep pockets and a new stadium.

Do you honestly think that job would be appealing to him Sarge?

He finally has a competitive franchise built in his image. He just stated the challenge and gratification is keeping that franchise at a Super Bowl caliber level on an annual basis, no small challenge in this salary cap and free agent era. Plenty of work left to do here. Fun work. I don't think that at age 65 he'd want to start the process over. And he already has the owner with deep pockets and is in a great market.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
nash72":3vnxesiz said:
West TX Hawk":3vnxesiz said:

Great post.

I'm sorry, but after such a horrible and mentally draining call as the superbowl play was, somebody needs to answer for that. That was one instance in which I groaned that Paul Allen isnt more active in the decisions of operations. Any other owner wouldnt have put up with a call like that and would have made an example by firing the OC. Just moving along after that with an 'Oh Well' attitude is damaging to the teams psyche as I believe we have witnessed since it happened. Honestly, its hard to believe that there were no repercussions. I think the players are too. The edge and chip on the shoulder mentality disappeared as soon as that play was ran.

Not sure the edge completely disappeared after that call, but totally agree there was, and is, residual damage that is still with this team. And then Marshawn hangs it up, which likely reinforced whatever dissatisfaction over that loss has been bubbling just beneath the surface.

As I said before, I admire PC's loyalty, but at some point, loyalty to one can come at the expense of the many.

Sgt. Largent

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":2y6rtkqd said:
Sgt. Largent":2y6rtkqd said:
SpokaneHawks":2y6rtkqd said:

Do you honestly think that job would be appealing to him Sarge?

He finally has a competitive franchise built in his image. He just stated the challenge and gratification is keeping that franchise at a Super Bowl caliber level on an annual basis, no small challenge in this salary cap and free agent era. Plenty of work left to do here. Fun work. I don't think that at age 65 he'd want to start the process over. And he already has the owner with deep pockets and is in a great market.

In the end no. Would Pete be intrigued by going back to LA? Maybe, he was a rock star there.

Maybe if we were losing this year and Pete wasn't enjoying coaching in Seattle, or his relationship with John and/or Allen was souring a little? Then I'd say we should be worried.

But Pete's been coaching a LONG time, he knows what he has here is a dream job very few coaches get the chance to ever have. So why leave a winner for an unknown situation in LA? Doesn't pencil out for Pete.

Siouxhawk

Reaction score
Pete is loyal to the team first and foremost. He keeps players and staff that fit best in enabling the team to win.

Hawkfish

Reaction score
http://sports.yahoo.com/news/rams-wishi ... 29864.html

"Think inside and outside of the box. Think of Jared Goff. Most of all, think big. That’s what the Los Angeles Rams will be doing in their search to replace Jeff Fisher, who was fired on Monday.

How big? Multiple sources with insight into the earliest stages of the Rams coaching search said there is a monster name that intrigues the power brokers inside the franchise: the Seattle Seahawks’ Pete Carroll. The same Pete Carroll who faces the Rams on Thursday night. The same Pete Carroll who resides inside the NFC West. And the same Pete Carroll who is under contract with Seattle through the 2019 season."

Uncle Si

Reaction score
semiahmoo":1nzt1yvf said:
Not sure the edge completely disappeared after that call, but totally agree there was, and is, residual damage that is still with this team. And then Marshawn hangs it up, which likely reinforced whatever dissatisfaction over that loss has been bubbling just beneath the surface.

As I said before, I admire PC's loyalty, but at some point, loyalty to one can come at the expense of the many.

Again, this is assumption and you keep hitting on it as if you have some knowledge on it. Do you have a quote to go along with it? Has PC said something? A player? Lynch?

"the edge" as you call it is not quantifiable. Wins and losses are. But if you are looking for reasons why the team's overall mentality may have changed why not look beyond something as easy as a play here and there.

The players are in their 2nd contracts. They are household names in the NFL. They are champions. They are veterans. They know how to win games. They know how long the season is.

They lost a game... big.

I'd be more inclined to see how they react to this first ever blowout before making assumptions as to the decline of the PC-led Seahawks Super Bowl window.

Status
Not open for further replies.