Soon to be the End of the Pete Carroll Era?

Status
Not open for further replies.

BirdsCommaAngry

Reaction score
Did the Pete Carroll era ever really begin? He could be a figment of our imaginations - a primordial image within our collective unconscious. This image may have been passed down to us from our ancestors to help us become more accepting of inspiring old men made wiser by the errors of yesteryear.

Rob12

Reaction score
kf3339":2552qoiu said:
I will only say this about the OP title subject.

This may not be soon the end of the Pete Carroll era, but I sure as hell hope it is the end of his constant optimism in his coaches and players with no one really held accountable for their actions. This was a really bad game and he needs to make that really clear to all concerned.

Personally, I would make it clear heads will roll this off-season if both don't get their buts in gear and correct their individual performances. Both players and coaches.

How do you know that they are not being held accountable? What's accountability look like to you? Firings? Who's the replacements? It's easy to complain but what does accountability look like? Public bashing is not and never will be Pete's style.

Sealake80

Reaction score
You know... it kinda feels like the end of an era.

First the play happened. Soul crushing. Then Lynch hung them up. The Beast is gone. Now Earl is gone... Will he return the same?

Plus injuries have taken a huge toll all over the field. Just because a player is back does not mean they are 100. Our key guys are nicked up for sure. It feels like we may be seeing the window close...

I am optimistic we get another championship with Pete. But I am nervous as hell we don't.

Over reactions are to be expected after this game... as spoiled as we have been.

Be nice to the newer posters on this board people. Would be a good idea. Even if the first posts are disagreeable. Be welcoming. I'm a long time lurker and rarely post. But I think this place needs to cultivate new blood. I'm actually aalmost embarrased by some of the discourse here.

Go Hawks.

kf3339

Reaction score
Rob12":6ur9q5nk said:
kf3339":6ur9q5nk said:

This may not be soon the end of the Pete Carroll era, but I sure as hell hope it is the end of his constant optimism in his coaches and players with no one really held accountable for their actions. This was a really bad game and he needs to make that really clear to all concerned.

Personally, I would make it clear heads will roll this off-season if both don't get their buts in gear and correct their individual performances. Both players and coaches.

How do you know that they are not being held accountable? What's accountability look like to you? Firings? Who's the replacements? It's easy to complain but what does accountability look like? Public bashing is not and never will be Pete's style.

Never said public bashing at all. But I also have not seen any real cause/effect out of PC in the past as it relates to coaches/coaching. In some cases a few players, but then again there are cases where that isn't the case. But then again I'm certain he doesn't waste time on this board, so why should any of us really care what we write?

scutterhawk

Reaction score
austinslater25":i4kmry4f said:
You will be. They are 8-4-1 and had their first blowout in 5 years. Every other team in the league has been blown out multiple times. I think you're overreacting. But maybe I'm wrong.

LOLOLOL If he's going to run around screaming wildly like that, someone should at least take the scissors out of his hands....... And no Austin, you're not wrong.

Rob12

Reaction score
Sealake80":wr7beeuc said:

First the play happened. Soul crushing. Then Lynch hung them up. The Beast is gone. Now Earl is gone... Will he return the same?

Plus injuries have taken a huge toll all over the field. Just because a player is back does not mean they are 100. Our key guys are nicked up for sure. It feels like we may be seeing the window close...

I am optimistic we get another championship with Pete. But I am nervous as hell we don't.

Over reactions are to be expected after this game... as spoiled as we have been.

Be nice to the newer posters on this board people. Would be a good idea. Even if the first posts are disagreeable. Be welcoming. I'm a long time lurker and rarely post. But I think this place needs to cultivate new blood. I'm actually aalmost embarrased by some of the discourse here.

Go Hawks.

Understand the embarrassment. I'm embarrassed at people seemingly turning their backs on our best players and the best coach we've had. No one is above criticism but the board has hit a new low after today's game.

OP
OP
S

semiahmoo

Reaction score
Sealake80":1ogo4lii said:

Go Hawks.

Quite true. There is a different feel to this season. Anyone claiming to say it's the same energy, the same confidence, the same arrogance as previous season is holding on to something no longer there, IMO.

The refusal to change, to adapt, to hold some within the organization responsible, falls on Pete.

That is not to say Seattle fans are not spoiled by this team, we are. But no more spoiled than New England or a select few other organizations that deliver season after season. Seattle does not feel "elite" this season, regardless the record or division standing. I love the Hawks, but I don't love this year's team nearly as much as previous seasons.

That doesn't make one a traitor so much as a realist. If we go one and done in the playoffs, as stated earlier, some hard questions need to be posed and answered by the organization because we are slipping into mediocrity.

If Pete Carroll is to have another legit run at a championship, there needs to be changes made.

Rob12

Reaction score
semiahmoo":3ntd2any said:
Sealake80":3ntd2any said:

Go Hawks.

Quite true. There is a different feel to this season. Anyone claiming to say it's the same energy, the same confidence, the same arrogance as previous season is holding on to something no longer there, IMO.

The refusal to change, to adapt, to hold some within the organization responsible, falls on Pete.

That is not to say Seattle fans are not spoiled by this team, we are. But no more spoiled than New England or a select few other organizations that deliver season after season. Seattle does not feel "elite" this season, regardless the record or division standing. I love the Hawks, but I don't love this year's team nearly as much as previous seasons.

That doesn't make one a traitor so much as a realist. If we go one and done in the playoffs, as stated earlier, some hard questions need to be posed and answered by the organization because we are slipping into mediocrity.

If Pete Carroll is to have another legit run at a championship, there needs to be changes made.

What are these changes? And please provide replacements. Honestly just curious.

8-4-1 with the massive injuries (especially to our QB) is a testament to this coaching staff. If that's your definition of mediocrity, well, maybe you'll never be satisfied.

Rob12

Reaction score
kf3339":230p4r9w said:
Rob12":230p4r9w said:
kf3339":230p4r9w said:

Never said public bashing at all. But I also have not seen any real cause/effect out of PC in the past as it relates to coaches/coaching. In some cases a few players, but then again there are cases where that isn't the case. But then again I'm certain he doesn't waste time on this board, so why should any of us really care what we write?

Pete has promoted two guys to head coaches and one to a DC.

What changes on the coaching staff do you want to see and who would be good replacements? This is something that you've obviously given a lot of thought to and I am genuinely interested in reading your thoughts.

CANHawk

Reaction score
What are you talking about Rob. All I've ever heard of Pete's staff is "FIRE BEVELL!!" are there actually 2 HC's and a DC out there from the Pete Carroll coaching tree?

[/shocked face]

Sent from my spare phone by the toilet using Tapatalk

Atradees

Reaction score
I would like to see a change on the oline and I think anyone could coach RW. If wilson improve his release and gets minimal blocking he will be fine.

Steve2222

Reaction score
Few things

- our WR corp is terrible outside of Baldwin. Jermaine Kearse has appeared to lost his professional ability this year. Seriously wtf has happened to him??!?!
- our OL goes without saying
- our DL is all of a sudden not getting any sort of pass rush
- Russell Wilson appears to have some sort of QB PTSD. Call a spade a spade. He's not looked good this year

I'm at a loss right now. I have no clue wtf is going on with them. Call us Seahawks fans all you want. But New Orleans, Tampa, and GB have putrid Ds and they've looked beyond bad against all of them.

mrblitz

Reaction score
when parseghian left notre dame... well, that was the end of an ara.

i think pete will be around long enough to try and win another ring... you never know though.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Forum rules prevent me from responding properly to this.

Sent from my SC-02H using Tapatalk

uncle fester

Reaction score
I haven't got as far as 'Forum Rules' with my reply. I'm still at 'lost for words'.

Largent80

Reaction score
Regardless of the crap games the Hawks have thrown out there, I am amazed at how they find ways to rebound. Either after a dreadful game or the loss of players by injury.

I think posts like the OP are ridiculous.

nash72

Reaction score
Siouxhawk":3jrahkwu said:
Bitter":3jrahkwu said:
Sports Hernia":3jrahkwu said:
I don't think the "2nd and wrong" in XLIX in the player's eyes is the reason for the downturn.
Too many games and plays since then. We as fans can simplistically look and say "there was the moment".

The salary cap, injuries, age, and maybe overconfidence by the coaching staff at times may be a problem and reasons for the drop off, but what happens if they go to the Super Bowl and win it THIS YEAR??? .....with those same issues.

There is still a ton of talent on this team, the core of this team is still strong. Have they underachieved for their talent level this year? YES. Have the coaching staff been slow to make ingame adjustments, IMHO yes. Have injuries to key players of the core been an issue, YES!

There have been a lot less talented teams in the NFL win the Super Bowl in the past decade than this team.
This is a down year for the NFL, if any year is the year to struggle but still make the playoffs and win it all, it's this year.

*allas, the best team recordwise, has looked like poo the past couple of games and if their opponents had any kind of offense they get smoked like Seattle did at GB today. It's all when you peak which is hopefully in the playoffs for Seattle.

I agree with pretty much everything here. But while I don't think the XLIX is the reason for the downturn, I think it was damaging to Pete's credibility in the eyes of the players. When you are being told to always compete and held to that standard, and then watch a coach make that call and then throw his players under the bus... I think I would be sitting there thinking WTH. While I wouldn't call it a downfall, this team has had a different feel to it since then.
Never threw a player under a bus. Just keeping the facts real.

Correct. It was Bevell that threw Lockette under the bus.

Redsand187

Reaction score
The problem is the chip on the shoulder is now gone. It was filled with money, age, families, national attention. The first time around everyone was fighting for their spot on the team and making peanuts. They had everything to lose and no respect. Now they all got their 8 figure pay days, tons of respect, they matured, got wives and children, a solid spot on the roster.

It's no longer a young starving team. I think that is what Lynch saw that caused him to walk away. It was easy being a veteran on the team when he was surrounded by these young guys that were pushing the limits and taking everyone by storm. Lightning struck and it kept the Beast energized, then the storm started to break and Marshawn saw it wasn't worth it. Why beat himself up? The coaches obviously thought he wasn't a sure thing anymore. His teammates had drifted, some away from the Seahawks, some just found a place to be comfortable and hang back.

I think he relied greatly on the environment of the locker room, and it changed. He made his money, he hadn't completely destroyed his body, he didn't have team that made him passionate about the game, so he walked away near the peak of his career, on his own terms and didn't lose out on anything. I think if he felt they had a chance to build a dynasty and return to the super bowl again and again, he would have stuck around. But he saw it the spark was gone. It was going to be hard work and it wasn't going to be fun.

Lynch leaving signals the era is coming to an end. Not because he's gone, not because Pete is washed up. There was a moment in time where everything lined up perfectly, that moment has passed.

That's not to say the team is no longer capable. But the path to a championship is different. To get there now is going to be based on experience, not on passion and unwillingness to lose.

tacomahawk

Reaction score
Same Coach that took a team into New England a few weeks ago, and spanked their butts. Cheese and rice this board gets so worked up after a loss. People will throw anything, and everyone under the bus. It was a team loss, and it will be up to the team to figure it out.

We had an amazing record of not losing a game by more than 10 pts. It is over, during that span, every team in the NFL has been blown out. Nothing worked yesterday, it was almost comical in how unlucky our team was yesterday, but it happens. I honestly worry about the health of some people after a loss.

Greatest Coach we have ever had, greatest team we have ever had, and greatest Quarterback we have ever had. Give em a break, cut em some slack, everyone has one of those days, or a few of them in a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts