Soooo, Wilson wasn't so good today, but tell me

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
Canhawks":1clwtmeg said:
Wilson would not look so good if he had the Colts defense.
Luck would be CUT if he played for us. Wilson is the most pressured QB in the NFL. Luck is throwing those Ints with far less pressure on him. Imagine if he played for us. Even OUR defense couldn't hold the opponent.

It'd be like the early 90's all over again.

HawKnPeppa

Reaction score
Y'all are gonna wank about the passing game on a very WINDY and RAINY day. I've seen it all now. The passing game was used sparingly on purpose, and that alone will keep you out of rythm. Add to that our under-sized WRs and losing Percy to a bounty and WALA!

Y'all really need to quit your whining and trying so hard to look knowledgable.

Anthony!

Reaction score
Okay 2 things lets start with RW play over the last 5 weeks.

Today not good
Game before 65% completion 102 qb rating Rams
Game before not good AZ
game before 67% completion 86 QB rating only because of one improbable int. NYG
game before 60% completion 82 QB rating again due to a hail mary int SF
game before 73% completion 140 QB rating NO

So his last 6 games, have had some ups and some downs but only 2 truly bad games, 2 avg games, 2 good games

Now as to tonight

As mush as I hate saying it, because I think the play calling is our biggest issue on offense, both Rw and PC both said in their interviews they came out in the 2nd have very conservative, and RW had to plead to try the one to Baldwin. So it appears once we get a lead we can count on a very conservative offense as of now.

plyka

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":2dqvyu19 said:
Would you rather have Wilson's performance today of 9/18 for 103 yards, O TD's, O Int's and a win, along with another game to play?

or Andrew Luck's line of 20/41 for 331 yards, 2 TD's, 4 Int's and a loss, ending their season?

Perspective guys, perspective.

Let's be frank, if luck had this defense he wouldn't be making 4 ints since it wouldn't be necessary for him to take those risks.

That said let's look at your argument. The performance by this offense wasn't so bad because someone else in the world was worse. You're right, it's always possible to be worse but that doesn't make me feel any better.

SalishHawkFan

Reaction score
23 points against the 4th ranked defense is not bad. In crappy weather, with that wind and rain? Our offense is taking a bum rap. Add to that that Pete has so much faith in his defense that he calculated the Saints best chance to win was for us to turn the ball over so he called a very conservative game the second half and you really gotta be pretty pumped and jacked to have scored 23.

plyka

Reaction score
HawKnPeppa":aco6u9sm said:
Y'all are gonna wank about the passing game on a very WINDY and RAINY day. I've seen it all now. The passing game was used sparingly on purpose, and that alone will keep you out of rythm. Add to that our under-sized WRs and losing Percy to a bounty and WALA!

Y'all really need to quit your whining and trying so hard to look knowledgable.

Yeah it's been rainy every game for the last five games! We have also played the best defense in the league each week over the last five weeks.

Listen this offense does not look good. Just remember how good Wilson and this offense used to be. Last year or early this year when this team needed a late TD to win was there any doubt?

Now we are hoping they can just hold on to the lead and get a few diet downs to burn the clock.

I don't blame Wilson, he is an excellent QB. It's the OC and coaching staff which are to blame. They need to pick it up fast.

irocdave

Reaction score
It's hard to pin down why but Wilson has had a very subpar 2nd half of the season. It's easy to come up with excuses as some seem to be doing but the results don't lie. RW hasn't played well for almost half the season. Today he was missing on throws my kids can make. Yes, there were some drops but there were throws that RW made that are inexcusable. RW also hasn't been staying in the pocket, in todays game he could have hung tough several times and surveyed the field and found the open receiver but bailed to quickly and either threw it away or tried to run. The O line held up decently today and RW didn't. Stop making excuses for RW's poor play. He is not an elite QB rather more like Dilfer when he won a SB with Tampa. The hawks are going to need RW to be a legit NFL QB next week against the niners and again in the SB. If he doesn't show up next week the Hawks are done.

Anyone else notice how the Saints loaded the box with all 11 and the passing game could not take advantage of it? This happened most of the game. RW needs to get it together ASAP. Before taking offense, I agree DB needs to be more creative as a OC but if RW cant consistently hit the 10 yard or less throws to a back out of the backfield then he needs to be benched. The throw that sealed the deal was a prayer. How many times can he go to the under thrown comeback jump ball and succeed? That isn't something you can rely on.

davidonmi

Reaction score
ivotuk":2p362fb1 said:
Natethegreat":2p362fb1 said:
A lot more is put on Lucks' shoulders than Wilsons'. Russel is clearly playing a much more cautious style whereas Luck has to make something happen because his defense and running game stinks. I love Russel and I am so glad he is here but I do think Luck is the better QB after getting the chance to watch him play.

Bullshit. Why do people always pull "facts" out without checking the facts?

Colts 109 yards rushing during the regular season and they only allowed 21 points per game! Remember who they beat?
Luck did not have to carry the team most games, u are correct.
However their defense is too inconsistent to win a championship

joeseahawks

Reaction score
But didn't Wilson show last year in Atlanta and in Washington that he can throw lots of balls and win? Remember how be brought us back against Atlanta, only for the Defense to lose the game? RW doesn't have to prove every game that he can throw for 8000 yards.

I actually have a different perspective on this. And here it is.
If Russell Wilson puts these numbers (like today) consistently and we win, PC would make the case that he doesn't deserve to be paid like Rogers, Manning, Brees and all those guys. This means RW would be a $10mil/year (give or take), freeing more money for the likes of Sherman, ... etc. When you look at teams like Atlanta, GB, who have paid their QB handsomely, they are struggling to field a competitive team.
Maybe PC doesn't believe RW should be a QB paid at the level of these other guys ... and that's why he doesn't give him all these throws to pad his stats.
I know RW can win us games throwing. I have no doubt about it. But I don't want our team to becomes the Atlanta Falcons, where one guys makes all the money, throws to pad his stats ... and the team isn't going anywhere. I want the Hawks to be successful year in and year out. And I think it will take what PC is currently doing to make it happen. PC is looking at this as a marathon, not a sprint. It is about winning consistently and for the long run with good solid defense and turnover-free QB plays.

DavidSeven

Reaction score
joeseahawks":1y1lhey9 said:
But didn't Wilson show last year in Atlanta and in Washington that he can throw lots of balls and win?

Your memory of the Washington game isn't great. He threw for 187 yards. That game was actually very similar to this one. We rode Marshawn and our D to victory. Asked Wilson to do just enough to win us the game. Capitalized on a fumble deep in the opponent's territory. Against the Redskins, we scored 24. Today, 23.

The game is called based on how the game is going. If we're down three TDs, Russell will throw to bring us back. If our D is playing lights out, expect conservative play-calling. This is what got us to 13-3, and it's not going to change.

lukerguy

Reaction score
I have to say, I am somewhat nervous with his regression the last few weeks. The last time he was a game changer was the last saints game on MNF.

scutterhawk

Reaction score
So, maybe Pete is telling the opposition to go ahead and try to stymie one facet of the Seahawks Offense, and we'll just dial up another angle to throw at them?
I don't know, but it would seem it just might be a bit frustrating to think that you maybe have game planned for every aspect of the Seahawks Offense, only to find yourself being out strategized and be caught behind the 8 ball, and the Seahawks Defense taking your lunch money.
With only 3 losses this Season, the Seahawks are showing that there is more than one way to beat you.
A lot of their plays are contingent of everyone playing their assignments as flawless as possible.
The Seahawks might be considered a smash mouth team, but Pete put's a lot of emphasis on playing smart, with finesse, and good ball control football, and who's to say he hasn't been successful by Coaching exactly that with his players.

Zorn76

Reaction score
I'd like to have an OL that could protect RW longer than 1.5 seconds, and a bit more imagination from Bevell calling plays.

That said, today's weather - especially the wind - did factor in more than I think was anticipated as it pertained to the offense's approach.

Shane Falco

Reaction score
I personally am not a fan of the mantra that if you win then you have to just shut up and enjoy it and not talk about any weak points. It's called objectivity where I come from. I bet alot of guys that get bent out of shape because of others that are worried about this or that standing in our way of a championship don't hesitate one second to look at any other team objectively and add a, "yeah but".

Anthony!

Reaction score
irocdave":2ik1ciz8 said:
It's hard to pin down why but Wilson has had a very subpar 2nd half of the season. It's easy to come up with excuses as some seem to be doing but the results don't lie. RW hasn't played well for almost half the season. Today he was missing on throws my kids can make. Yes, there were some drops but there were throws that RW made that are inexcusable. RW also hasn't been staying in the pocket, in todays game he could have hung tough several times and surveyed the field and found the open receiver but bailed to quickly and either threw it away or tried to run. The O line held up decently today and RW didn't. Stop making excuses for RW's poor play. He is not an elite QB rather more like Dilfer when he won a SB with Tampa. The hawks are going to need RW to be a legit NFL QB next week against the niners and again in the SB. If he doesn't show up next week the Hawks are done.

Anyone else notice how the Saints loaded the box with all 11 and the passing game could not take advantage of it? This happened most of the game. RW needs to get it together ASAP. Before taking offense, I agree DB needs to be more creative as a OC but if RW cant consistently hit the 10 yard or less throws to a back out of the backfield then he needs to be benched. The throw that sealed the deal was a prayer. How many times can he go to the under thrown comeback jump ball and succeed? That isn't something you can rely on.

well for one unless its you in the pocket you really do not know if he bailed to quickly or not, nor could you see what he sees. Second his best 3 games span of his career came in the 2nd half of the season. Everything changed once we clinched with the NO win, The play calling got conservative, and predictable. That is the problem and that is the OC. FYI the throw the clinched the game was not a prayer it was by design the do it all the time. OH and I guess Brees missing several of your 10 yard to the backs means he should be benched or Brady when he did it 2 games ago. You want things to change hope the OC goes back to what got us here, and lets RW be RW.

Anthony!

Reaction score
joeseahawks":2fje3jw4 said:
But didn't Wilson show last year in Atlanta and in Washington that he can throw lots of balls and win? Remember how be brought us back against Atlanta, only for the Defense to lose the game? RW doesn't have to prove every game that he can throw for 8000 yards.

I actually have a different perspective on this. And here it is.
If Russell Wilson puts these numbers (like today) consistently and we win, PC would make the case that he doesn't deserve to be paid like Rogers, Manning, Brees and all those guys. This means RW would be a $10mil/year (give or take), freeing more money for the likes of Sherman, ... etc. When you look at teams like Atlanta, GB, who have paid their QB handsomely, they are struggling to field a competitive team.
Maybe PC doesn't believe RW should be a QB paid at the level of these other guys ... and that's why he doesn't give him all these throws to pad his stats.
I know RW can win us games throwing. I have no doubt about it. But I don't want our team to becomes the Atlanta Falcons, where one guys makes all the money, throws to pad his stats ... and the team isn't going anywhere. I want the Hawks to be successful year in and year out. And I think it will take what PC is currently doing to make it happen. PC is looking at this as a marathon, not a sprint. It is about winning consistently and for the long run with good solid defense and turnover-free QB plays.

Interesting thought, and yes Atlanta has an issue but there were ore than that there, GB made the playoffs so not a good example. Denver has Manning who is highly paid and they are in the playoffs and has weapons, NE also, Brees was paid a lot and they made it. SO while I agree some teams do not handle paying a franchise QB franchise money, other do.

The other thing if PC is playing this game, he may be risking loosing Rw and it might not be a money thing so much as Rw wanting to play in a system designed for him, like other top QBs are. All that said I highly doubt this is the case, I do no thing PC would di this just to try to keep the salary for RW down. IT would be really stupid. I think that PC goes conservative when we get a lead because he feels his defense can always win it, it has not always worked and almost did not today but he will stick with it.

The Delf

Reaction score
But still, he has a lot to do with what we have achieved by now in this season. POs, survived our Div. Game. Guys, afterwards no one asks the "how". :)

lobohawk

Reaction score
For some perspective.

Wilson: 50% completion / 11.4 YPC / 18 attempts / 0 Ints
Brady: 52% completion / 15.2 YPC / 25 attempts / 0 Ints

Not very different and if the D had caught the 2 obvious Ints, then the game doesn't even look close (not blaming the D, as they played excellent). Were some of Wilson's passes off? Of course...but they seemed magnified when he passes so few times and mostly in critical down situations.

I mostly see generic statements and generalizations on these boards regarding Wilson's play, so give them little merit. Prefer to see someone's All 22 view of the Offense.

Latest posts