Sowell vs Everson Griffen

hawknation2016

Reaction score
I think they like what they have seen from Odhiambo as the backup LT; he is basically a more physical version of Alvin Bailey.

b8rtm8nn

Reaction score
I hope Sowell does well for you guys - he is a solid player, and maybe the scheme change and the extra time in the pro ranks has allowed him to grow. Blocking for Palmer in BA's scheme is much different than blocking for Russ in your scheme. He was replaced with better talent, not cut because he was terrible (or we wouldn't have re-signed him last year as the swing tackle).

gowazzu02

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":19r9s64s said:
I hope Sowell does well for you guys - he is a solid player, and maybe the scheme change and the extra time in the pro ranks has allowed him to grow. Blocking for Palmer in BA's scheme is much different than blocking for Russ in your scheme. He was replaced with better talent, not cut because he was terrible (or we wouldn't have re-signed him last year as the swing tackle).

I was thinking the same thing about schemes. Let's face it, Palmers a statue in the pocket and Arians loves the deep ball.

Now Seattle does throw the ball deep plenty, it's usually off of PA and Russ is as mobile as they come.

Either way, I hope that whatever clicked with Bevil/Wilson/entire offense the second half of last year, where RW was getting the ball out quick stays the same.

Jville

Reaction score
b8rtm8nn":hpimlfqj said:

That's spot on! :2thumbs:

The difference in blocking schemes is exactly what Tom Cable addressed months ago when Seattle signed Sowell. Although many of us know of Cable's rationale, not everyone is up to speed.

Sowell is already an upgrade over the backup (3 year) conditioning problem that didn't want to be in Seattle (now in Cleveland). Plus the Bronco's penciled in starter at left tackle is rehabbing a suspect shoulder in Denver this year instead of in Seattle.

Cable is actively working on building a different offensive line in 2016.

It deserves to be repeated .... the difference in blocking schemes is exactly what Tom Cable noted months ago when Seattle signed Sowell to compete at the tackle positions.

justafan

Reaction score
I see the gap between Sowell and Gilliam being narrower than the gap between Gilliam and whoever else they have to play right tackle.He is trying to get the 5 best on the field.

But if Gilliam was rocking it at LT he never would have switched him.

Thats an ugly thought but Cable does better with experienced Olineman than with rookies IMO.So maybe he has Sowell playing at the level needed for LT.

OP
OP
K

King Dog

Reaction score
I've been thinking about this for most of the day - most likely Sowell drives Griffen back 20 yards on every run play and stands over him doing a double bicep pose on every pass play.

kf3339

Reaction score
Jville":10d4y50t said:
b8rtm8nn":10d4y50t said:

That's spot on! :2thumbs:

The difference in blocking schemes is exactly what Tom Cable addressed months ago when Seattle signed Sowell. Although many of us know of Cable's rationale, not everyone is up to speed.

Sowell is already an upgrade over the backup (3 year) conditioning problem that didn't want to be in Seattle (now in Cleveland). Plus the Bronco's penciled in starter at left tackle is rehabbing a suspect shoulder in Denver this year instead of in Seattle.

Cable is actively working on building a different offensive line in 2016.

It deserves to be repeated .... the difference in blocking schemes is exactly what Tom Cable noted months ago when Seattle signed Sowell to compete at the tackle positions.

^This.

I remember Cable saying the same thing as well with Sowell. I also remember the one poster who was adamant that Sowell would be our answer for LT, and to take him seriously. So hopefully the move to our team and system is wait was needed.

We all know the help is needed.

hawknation2016

Reaction score
King Dog":1pni1c17 said:
I've been thinking about this for most of the day - most likely Sowell drives Griffen back 20 yards on every run play and stands over him doing a double bicep pose on every pass play.

POTD.

(Post of the Decade.)

:snack: :2thumbs:

Northwest Seahawk

Reaction score
If the O-Line stuggles again this year it's time for a new line coach . Hopefully Cable he plays the right guys this year at the right spots but we will just half to see how it plays out.

Rob12

Reaction score
He got destroyed and is not a starting LT in this league. Good depth, and definitely an NFL player, but not to be trusted with protecting Russ' blindside on a full time basis.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rob12

Reaction score
gowazzu02":3m3jjatq said:
McGruff":3m3jjatq said:
DJrmb":3m3jjatq said:
I said it before he started the first game in another thread and I hold to it. I really think people are overlooking Sowell. He was never brought in as "the answer" but just as a guy with experience for depth and competition. Since then he's done nothing but work his ass off and bump the coaches favorite pick for LT back down to RT. I don't think Sowell will be some diamond in the rough pro bowl player that we picked off the scrap heap but I think he can be plenty serviceable. We've had plenty of success with people's cast offs or misfits in the past, actually it's something we seem to do pretty well.

I think giving Sowell credit for "bumping the coaches favorite pick for LT back down to RT" is a bit revisionist. Gilliam is at RT because Webb is out/sucks and Gilliam is better than Poole and/or Odhiambo at the moment. Hopefully one of those guys steps up so Gilliam can go back to LT and Sowell can go back to quality reserve.

Is this true? Honestly i've been at arms length with the oline. It scares me and didn't want to pay attention until closer to the year.

But isn't LT universally accepted as the most important spot on the line. Why would you move your preferred LT to RT just to fill RT?

You wouldn't. The coaches obviously feel that Gilliam isn't up to the task.