SR Bowl practice

CPHawk

Reaction score

Neither Penix or Nix looked great today.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
I may be alone but I will stand by penix will not be a good nfl QB. So this does not surprise me. I watched both days while work. I’ve watched every penix game and I do not see the hype. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score

QB helped his stock the most?​

Out of the quarterback group, Oregon's Bo Nixhelped himself the most after a strong final day of practice. He showed solid accuracy and connected with multiple receivers on Thursday for touchdowns during the red zone one-on-one period. I wanted to see Nix outside of Oregon’s scheme, where he threw for 4,508 yards and 45 TD passes in 2023. And while his accuracy in the underneath areas is still where he stands out, he impressed in this setting. Nix didn't have many reps under center this season, but he appeared comfortable with dropback concepts from that pre-snap platform this week.

My updated QB Hot Board comes out on Friday morning, and Nix is probably the biggest beneficiary from the Senior Bowl. I previously had a mid-to-late Day 2 grade on him, but he’s now trending toward an early-Round 2 pick ... or even higher. -

now.

Jackson Powers-Johnson, C, Oregon: Outside of Toledo corner Quinyon Mitchell (Matt mentioned him as a riser), Powers-Johnson was the most impressive prospect I saw at the Senior Bowl. Not only did he play at his normal center spot, but he also took reps at guard. His anchor and hand strength immediately jumped out at me. At 6-foot-2 and 334 pounds, he has a wide frame that defenders are hardly ever able to run through. Powers-Johnson entered Mobile as a potential first-round pick and in consideration to be the first center selected, and I think he could go in the top 25. The Miami Dolphins (No. 21 overall) and Dallas Cowboys (No. 24) both have needs along the interior offensive line.

Chevy

Reaction score
If we want JPJ then we will have to draft him at #16. Which I'm not opposed to.

Last edited:

Chukarhawk

Reaction score
I may be alone but I will stand by penix will not be a good nfl QB. So this does not surprise me. I watched both days while work. I’ve watched every penix game and I do not see the hype. I hope I’m wrong but I just don’t see it
then you don't have any idea what you are watching.

Hawkinaz

Reaction score
then you don't have any idea what you are watching.
Don’t let what Penix did as a college player affect how you think of him as a professional. I do expect the majority of NFL GMs won’t have a 1st rd grade on him. Penix’s injury history and throwing mechanics will be a problem and will need a top 15 O line to have success.

Wsumatt1982

Reaction score
Don’t let what Penix did as a college player affect how you think of him as a professional. I do expect the majority of NFL GMs won’t have a 1st rd grade on him. Penix’s injury history and throwing mechanics will be a problem and will need a top 15 O line to have success.
Agreed. People always overvalue players based on their favorite teams. I see good in penix but I see a lot of red flags and things needing to go right like an amazing offensive line (which we do not have)

There is a reason penix is falling out of the 1st in most mock drafts and likely will continue to fall before the draft. I’ve had him all along as a 4th maybe late 3rd. I don’t see him being as good in the pro’s as he was in college. I would love to be wrong but I’m not seeing the hype.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
It's pretty funny to see the take that Nix looked better even in Senior Bowl practices than Penix. Very few were saying that. Many were saying the opposite.

Lots of people were saying Nix was a disappointment, but admittedly Nix at least played in the game whereas Penix bowed out.

Nix didn't look good in the practices and nobody looked good in the game. (feel bad for the WRs on that one)

I will agree that JPJ is a stud. So is that kid from Oregon State.

NoGain

Reaction score
Penix ain't falling to the 3rd round in an NFL that's starved for QB's who can wing it all over the field like he can. I don't know if he'll make for a quality starter, but there's going to be some team that is going to be willing to buy a lottery ticket that he can.

Mistashoesta

Reaction score
If we didn't have Olu, I'd be all over JPJ. I agree with Twisted, Taliese Fuaga from Oregon State is a handful.

OP
OP
C

CPHawk

Reaction score
It's pretty funny to see the take that Nix looked better even in Senior Bowl practices than Penix. Very few were saying that. Many were saying the opposite.

Lots of people were saying Nix was a disappointment, but admittedly Nix at least played in the game whereas Penix bowed out.

Nix didn't look good in the practices and nobody looked good in the game. (feel bad for the WRs on that one)

I will agree that JPJ is a stud. So is that kid from Oregon State.
I watched the practices and read lots of national reports. No one outside of Seattle said Penix looked good. Pretty much everyday the story was the QBs all look meh. But if you watched you also saw the WR ran crap routes, which makes it tough on the QBs.

TwistedHusky

Reaction score
Not true CPHawk but not worth arguing over.
Day 1 and 2 Penix looked good, one of the better QBs. Day 3 he looked like crap.
Go check what the scouts were saying Day 1 and 2 then compare to Day 3. Day 3 Penix sucked, or at least looked much worse.
He still had done a good enough job there that he could sit out the Senior Bowl.
He was still regularly ranked as one of the best QBs at the Senior Bowl, (this is like being called the 'prettiest girl in Alaska' but still...)

Penix did have a few throws where some great catches by the WRs bailed him out but he didn't look as bad as say Nix or that kid from ND.
Its kind of pointless disputing because he didn't play the game. And I am a big believer that your play in the game says more about you than your play in practice. But nobody played well in the game, so there is that.

Last edited:

12forlife

Reaction score
Having Olu wouldn’t stop me from drafting Powers-Johnson IOL is far from being a strength

Don’t draft for position but value
What's the word on Olu? I haven't heard much does the team see Olu as the teams long term Center?

Chevy

Reaction score
What's the word on Olu? I haven't heard much does the team see Olu as the teams long term Center?
I would have thought when we drafted him, he would win the starting OC job. Nope. He was given opportunities to play a lot and still didn't take over as the starter. Maybe he can compete for a starting OG position this year.