Starting defense going into week 1

FrodosFinger

Reaction score
Going into Week 1,

DL: Mafe-Edwards-Reed-Jones-Nwosu in base, sans Edwards in nickel.

LB: Bush & Wagner

CB: Jackson & Woolen (although Brown is *right* behind Jackson ready to steal the job).

S: Diggs and Love in base, plus Bryant in nickel.

Mad Dog

Reaction score
I'm not sure we run out 3 DL all that much. We hardly used it in the preseason. Maybe for goal line and short yardage situations.

Mick063

Reaction score
Jackson would have to screw up mightily to lose his playing time to Brown. That said, they are both going to play. The whole "starter" stuff is blown way out pf proportion. If the suggestion is that Brown is going to deny snaps for Jackson, folks are wrong.

The dog pile on Jackson reminds me very much of the pre-draft pile-on that I read here about Jalen Carter. It is like a piranha feeding frenzy. Once the first bite is taken, the mob mentality swarming begins.

Jackson's position is much more secure than most on this forum may believe.

Last edited:

MizzouHawkGal

Reaction score
I think this defense will be good on the back end. It's the front end that is a question mark going into the season.
I think they're wanting to attempt disruption!/speed on the defemse nstead of power. I don't like it but Pete is way better at football then I will ever be. Remember this old clueless dude did revolutionize the secondary game just 10 years ago what has Billy B done without Brady?

toffee

Reaction score
Going into Week 1,

DL: Mafe-Edwards-Reed-Jones-Nwosu in base, sans Edwards in nickel.

LB: Bush & Wagner

CB: Jackson & Woolen (although Brown is *right* behind Jackson ready to steal the job).

S: Diggs and Love in base, plus Bryant in nickel.
Frankly, no team is scared of Edwards-Reed-Jones.

Last edited:

Scout

Reaction score
I think people are vastly underestimating what D. Jones can do for this defense. We know what Reed and Wagz can do along with Adams when healthy. Jones was a big part of what Evero was coordinating last year as the Broncos had a super caliber defense looking at multiple metrics. Jones presence isn't just sacks, hurries and pressures but also TFLs which changes the down and distance for opposing offenses. That forces teams in third and long and the Hawks have edge rushers that can feast on third and longs with a capable secondary to be opportunistic with turnovers.

Ad Hawk

Reaction score
I think people are vastly underestimating what D. Jones can do for this defense. We know what Reed and Wagz can do along with Adams when healthy. Jones was a big part of what Evero was coordinating last year as the Broncos had a super caliber defense looking at multiple metrics. Jones presence isn't just sacks, hurries and pressures but also TFLs which changes the down and distance for opposing offenses. That forces teams in third and long and the Hawks have edge rushers that can feast on third and longs with a capable secondary to be opportunistic with turnovers.

For some reason, I have less confidence in us stopping 3rd and long (8-15 yards or more) than 3rd and 5. And yes, there's confirmation bias every time we give up one of these plays, but they feel far too frequent.

Hopefully you're right and coverage sacks on 3rd down improve this year.

Scout

Reaction score
For some reason, I have less confidence in us stopping 3rd and long (8-15 yards or more) than 3rd and 5. And yes, there's confirmation bias every time we give up one of these plays, but they feel far too frequent.

Hopefully you're right and coverage sacks on 3rd down improve this year.

Stopping the run is the key and Jones can help with some TFLs on early downs.

AgentDib

Reaction score
Frankly, no team is scared of Edwards-Reed-Jones.
I assume you're not including Hawks fans in that statement.

Personally, I see Reed and Jones as solid starters but our depth is a concern due to Morris and Young missing significant chunks of training camp.

HagFaithful

Reaction score
I'm not so worried about the individual parts as I am the sum of the whole. If Pee Wee Herman could play assignment football and do his job, sign his a$$ up.

bileever

Reaction score
I agree with what you say about what's happening on the D-line not always being quantifiable. I watched every Broncos game last year, and Dre'mont Jones was a disruptive force even if he didn't have the gaudiest stats. Unless you're Aaron Donald, you need to have other good players around you to be an effective defensive line. I think that Nwosu, Reed, Jones and Edwards will make each other better.

Jones' stats over the last four years look a lot like the Eagles' Josh Sweat's stats in his first 4 years before he had his big year last year.