Steeler forums and the officiating.

lukerguy

Reaction score
When I saw the play live I definitely thought it was "unnecessary roughness". Isn't that sort of the point of rule?

Whether Russ's foot was on the line when he pushed him or it was 6 inches from the line, he was already going out of bounds. If Kam shoved Ben running out of bounds the same way I would expect the same penalty. QBs are protected... all of them.

He's another example, if a DL/DE wraps and sacks a Qb there's no foul, but if they wrap and pancake it is a foul because it's unnecessary. You could still make a Sack without needing to throw all your body weight on to the QB.. in the same way that Russ was going to be OB 1/2 a second prior to him shoving him down to the ground...it's going to be called 100/100.

lukerguy

Reaction score
JPatera76":lzj2idia said:
253hawk":lzj2idia said:
sutz":lzj2idia said:
Yeah, and also, Sherm was pulling his hands and arms away from Brown when he tripped over his own foot. There was no pushing or pulling, they were engaging in the kind of normal hand fighting that goes on all over the field and pretty much every pass route all game before Brown tripped, but Sherm didn't have his hands on him when he went down. If anything, it looks like Brown was trying to push off (OPI) and Sherm avoided that, which may have led to Brown re-directing a bit on his run and getting his feet tangled.

Good no call.

I think Brown was leaning into Sherman's arm, and when Sherman pulled his arm in it caused Brown to fall forward a bit and lose balance since the resistance was suddenly gone.

He tripped himself. Watch his feet and at the end of the gif you can see his left foot hooking his right calf. (or other way around either way a foot his hooking his own calve)
HeftyConsciousJapanesebeetle.gif
Brown's arm is on Sherman even though you can see it from that angle. They both have arms on each other and Brown tripped..it happens. It's not DPI.

purpleneer

Reaction score
kearly":1hek6z8k said:
-Refs are imperfect and generally do not have agendas.

Good overall response, though I think you're overcompensating on some of the decisions in this game. This statement I quoted though is how I see NFL officiating. Each guy and crew does have an agenda, but it's generally just to keep their job and earn the best assignments.
An oft-overlooked aspect is that it doesn't have to be intentional to be unbalanced and a major problem. What I see is that they know there are mistakes that are safer for them. In most matchups, there's one side that is safer for mistakes and XL is the epitome of it. Between all the rooting for Bettis and the blatantly ridiculous replay reversal in the AFCCG, a mistake that hurt the Steelers had to be seen as the worst thing they could do. And after the one missed call (Stevens fumble called incomplete) early, that crew panicked and overcompensated on the side that was safer for themselves.

dbsn2420

Reaction score
AB84":1snq00bk said:
First of all, I find it hilarious you guys cannot simply celebrate a victory while giving credit to the opposing team. You immediately run to the enemy fan forums to "spy" and read what they are saying so you can laugh about it and criticize? If you're going to checkout an opponents forum, how about register and talk shop, or even talk shit, but be a real man about it. You guys sound like a group of 8 year old boys spying on a girls sleepover. Now, to the game:

Great game overall. Great energy, entertaining play, and what, 7 or 8 lead changes? Yes there were some non-calls that didn't go our way in the second half, but again, as I have said over and over, officiating is part of the game! It's imperfect by nature as it's completely subjective, hence why Mike Carey can disagree with another ref over the same play.

Who cares? Ben threw 2 picks,(Should of been 4 or 5) our secondary made RW look like a top 5 QB,(Mr. Wilson made your D Backs look bottom 5) and you guys gained the momentum in the second half and never lost it. That's why we lost, not because of some call or non call by the refs. That's how football games work, it comes down to execution, that's why you lose a game. Too bad most of you guys still can't take a page out of that book w/XL :roll:

Ultimately this was just the type of game we expected, fast paced, physical, and high flying. It would be absolutely awesome to see a rematch of Superbowl XL in the next year or two. That game yesterday felt like a SB caliber game, and it would be an awesome story line as well.

And please, for the sake of all football fans, can you stop generalizing a fan base by a few posts you read from some asshole in his basement? Every fan base has assholes, dipshits, people that know nothing about football yet talk mad shit. Don't pretend your fans are any different. Peace :)

Good luck on the rest of the season :177692:

Just what we needed was an opposing teams fan lecturing us about not generalizing another fan base while generalizing a fan base.

How ironic that the Steelers fan base would be whinning about non-calls/bad calls............Yea I'm still laughing at that!

Yes I would love to see the Hawks in another SB against the Steelers so the Hawks could beat them down again like they did last time.

JAGHAWK

Reaction score
CodeWarrior":18w28kd6 said:
Saw one Steelers fan on the eastside yesterday decked out in gear. She was easily 5'3, 300+lbs. Standard.

Not even really sure what point you're making here. Only fat people love the Steelers? Lol

ImTheScientist

Reaction score
SomersetHawk":33ifmfpw said:
Looks like Big ol' Ben just might not have fancied it... [tweet]https://twitter.com/RapSheet/status/671366488142540800[/tweet]

Waiting on official word. Maybe he can join Clay Matthews' club of fake tough guys who benched themselves at Clink.

Injured ego

scutterhawk

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":pmehgyrd said:
Was reading through some Stealer meltdowns on the forums... Apparently the officiating was all against them.. I even saw it said this was WAY worse than Super bowl XL. It just makes me LOL. I also saw a bunch of very classy posts that celebrated Graham hurting his knee. Stay classy pittsburgh! Lol..
They have to GET "Classy" before they can "STAY Classy"

scutterhawk

Reaction score
JPatera76":2qgizcdo said:
He tripped himself. Watch his feet and at the end of the gif you can see his left foot hooking his right calf. (or other way around either way a foot his hooking his own calve)
HeftyConsciousJapanesebeetle.gif

This looks to me like Brown PURPOSLY tripping himself, to try'n draw a flag for a DPI.
Sherman was looking back, Brown wasn't....It's like he had no intention of trying to make the catch, thus, another lousy acting job that the Ref's weren't buying.

To Add......Outstanding footwork Sherm!!

Seahawkfan80

Reaction score
Scutterhawk....Well said on the outstanding footwork. I think that is one of the drills they practice on warmups. I never have played organized sport football. I have however while on jogging turned around in my jogging too see what was behind me once in a while. It is interesting doing the turning while in motion one way too. I would do some of what you saw with his footwork playing softball tho. Easier to move the feet then turn around sometimes on a long high ball to right field.

hawks85

Reaction score
Hollandhawk":2wm5gof0 said:
Was reading through some Stealer meltdowns on the forums... Apparently the officiating was all against them.. I even saw it said this was WAY worse than Super bowl XL. It just makes me LOL. I also saw a bunch of very classy posts that celebrated Graham hurting his knee. Stay classy pittsburgh! Lol..
i've been to pittsburgh before and let me tell you if your not a steeler fan your a piece of garbage. so stay classy pittsburgh is a understatement. i will give them credit for having love for your team but to treat everybody like a bag of poop is very non-classy. the people wearing division rival jersey's like the bengals or ravens got it just as bad. i was like dude im not even in your division let alone your conference you do know that right lol. there were like steeler's this and that and i was like okay pal you and your rapist QB have a good one smh. i was wearing my 12 jersey and they slammed me. i will never go back ever. very un-classy.

Smellyman

Reaction score
kearly":2mgs7el2 said:
AB84":2mgs7el2 said:
First of all, I find it hilarious you guys cannot simply celebrate a victory while giving credit to the opposing team. You immediately run to the enemy fan forums to "spy" and read what they are saying so you can laugh about it and criticize? If you're going to checkout an opponents forum, how about register and talk shop, or even talk shit, but be a real man about it. You guys sound like a group of 8 year old boys spying on a girls sleepover. Now, to the game:

Great game overall. Great energy, entertaining play, and what, 7 or 8 lead changes? Yes there were some non-calls that didn't go our way in the second half, but again, as I have said over and over, officiating is part of the game! It's imperfect by nature as it's completely subjective, hence why Mike Carey can disagree with another ref over the same play.

Who cares? Ben threw 2 picks, our secondary made RW look like a top 5 QB, and you guys gained the momentum in the second half and never lost it. That's why we lost, not because of some call or non call by the refs. That's how football games work, it comes down to execution, that's why you lose a game. Too bad most of you guys still can't take a page out of that book w/XL :roll:

Ultimately this was just the type of game we expected, fast paced, physical, and high flying. It would be absolutely awesome to see a rematch of Superbowl XL in the next year or two. That game yesterday felt like a SB caliber game, and it would be an awesome story line as well.

And please, for the sake of all football fans, can you stop generalizing a fan base by a few posts you read from some asshole in his basement? Every fan base has assholes, dipshits, people that know nothing about football yet talk mad shit. Don't pretend your fans are any different. Peace :)

Good luck on the rest of the season :177692:

There are some fair points in here.

-It was absolutely a great football game. I said during the game that the energy and caliber of play reminded me of SB 49.

-We shouldn't judge ALL fans by a handful of jackholes. Although I do think historically successful franchises have way more of them (And Seahawks fans have plenty too).

-Anyone who studied the matchups beforehand knew it would be a shootout and it was exactly that, as you said.

-Refs are imperfect and generally do not have agendas.

With those points out of the way, I do think your commentary about officiating in XL and yesterday's game is off base.

For starters, poor officiating can absolutely decide games, it happens all the time. XL had several bad calls, but a sequence where an offsides by Pitt was called a phantom hold on Seattle which wiped out 1st and goal at the 1, set up an interception and 'low block' call on the tackle, it was basically a 14 point swing in a game decided by 11. Maybe the Steelers still win a fairly called game, but looking at the box score, I think Seattle probably wins. (Seattle had more yards, more TOP, and won the turnover battle, the first team ever do to those things and lose a SB). If you pull the "XL was won fair and square" card here, not only are you wrong but it's a bit of a douche move considering the place you are at.

Second, I actually do think the officials favored Seattle yesterday (there was some bad calls and non-calls for Seattle too but I think Pitt was hurt more by the officiating gaffes). There was an uncalled pushoff by Sherman on his INT. There was a blatant faceguard by Shead on Bryant that went uncalled that would have been 1st and goal at the 2 and about a 50 yard penalty for the Steelers. And the roughing penalty against Pitt where Wilson was shoved out of bounds was TURRIBLE. (The Kam interception was legit though, the ball was ripped out long after the play was dead. Mike Carey's judgement and analysis was awful as usual yesterday). Anyway, point is, if you want to complain about the officiating yesterday, I won't blame you. It favored the Seahawks. But I think you know that and are choosing to let this one go so that you can justify your opinion on XL.

Don't be that guy. If the officials blow the game, then it's not Pittsburgh's fault, or Seattle's. The refs do a crappy job sometimes. It just is what it is, and sometimes it can impact the outcome of games.

Small point...

face guarding isn't illegal.

Willyeye

Reaction score
irocdave":2xiagmj4 said:
This was a regular season game with the typical questionable calls and non calls. I think the Hawks were overly penalized in the first half and the Stealers got away with holding on every offensive play but we not called. The calls start to even out in the second half and yes, it was a questionable call on the shove on RW at the sideline but it was evident he gave up yet the shove lasted through going out of bounds. Sherm shoving the receiver after 5 yards? No foul, the receiver shoved him first, dude fell down on his own and RS ran his route for him and picked the ball off. Should have been offsetting penalties if they wanted to go down that road. I still cant get past two of the NFLS premiere pass rushers just disappearing the entire game. Not once did the Stealers O line hold? Holding can be called on every play, but not called once today on the Stealers. I was busy watching the action but this just seems weird. I saw a leg whip that took Avril out during a play but no replay. Wonder how many other times that happened.

Stealers have zero to bitch about with calls. This wasn't the debacle of SB40, not even close. Any Stealer fan that brings this up is just as hypocritical as I have been saying they are. They got beat by a better team today. Wish they would have played in Seattle a couple more times over the last 13 years....wonder why that didn't happened. Yea, we know why.

Stealers fans can suck it. You got beat, again, in Seattle. You also got a SB handed to you at the behest of the Hawks. Deal with it. You cant rewrite history. Nobody saw SB40 the same way as you, actually hope you get one taken away just like we did, against us. THAT will make it equal in my scorebook. Until then, keep getting close to another SB run and being the fan base I have grown to hate.

Not to bring up sore subjects, but in the Cards game, 5 Seahawks drives were killed by the refs, one of them on a phantom face mask and 4 ticky-tacky calls of offensive holding. I wouldn't mind so much, but all game long I saw Cards linemen get away with offensive holds. It was clearly a case of the refs being told to call the Hawks tight and call the Cards loose. Not only that, check out the disparity between penalties called on opposing teams for the Seahawks and the Cards this entire year. The Seahawks have had the least called on their opponents, while the Cards have had the most called on theirs. You can see it here: http://www.footballdb.com/stats/penalty ... =oppaccept

There is no doubt in my mind that refs are told to call a tight game on the Seahawks and a loose game on their opponents. Last year in the 8 Seahawk road games, refs called an average of only 3 penalties per game against our opponents.

The Hawks are in last place for beneficial calls and have had only 61 called in their favor through Week 12, while the Cards are in 2nd place with 102 calls beneficial to them. Last year, the Hawks were in last place with only 70 penalties called on their opponents all year, while the Cards were in 1st place with 130 calls on their opponents in 2014. One last little tidbit: The Seahawks are in last place with only 6- 1st downs by penalty and the 31st team has 14. On the other hand, the Cards are in 1st place with 36. Anyone who thinks the NFL isn't helping the Cards win the NFCW is fooling themselves.

irocdave

Reaction score
Hope the new Hawk fans that weren't around for the debacle that was SB40 get an idea of what Stealer fans are like. Our new buddy is showing a restrained version of what they become when they win. Imagine this ass hat if the Stealers would have won this game?

BTW TROLL, I used to post on the Stealers largest forum and got banned the week before the game. Stealer mental midget controlled forums don't like being challenged to seriously. Take your sorry ass back to your hole and polish up that symbol of your SB40 championship, the yellow hanky. Your not rewriting the history I know as fact, because I experienced it real-time.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
Moving this to the Shack if we are going to turn into a flame war.

(And possibly clean up the grammar when calling out others mental...height, I guess.)

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
irocdave":1ibsjwxz said:
You guys are going off in to the weeds over one semi questionable call. The Hawks were being hammered in the first half with calls against them, no replay from CBS just that dumb ass color commentator that sounded like he was drunk.

I have seen a couple of Stealers forums since the win, they are going off about the calls. I was on line back in 05 and witnessed the essence of the Stealers fan base, at least the ones that had a job, and a computer at the time. They are no doubt one of the dumbest and hypocritical fan base's in the NFL. For you guys seeing it for the first time, welcome to the hatred for Stealers and there fan base.

Steelers...*

Cartire

Reaction score
RussWILSON3":3afgezjy said:
irocdave":3afgezjy said:
You guys are going off in to the weeds over one semi questionable call. The Hawks were being hammered in the first half with calls against them, no replay from CBS just that dumb ass color commentator that sounded like he was drunk.

I have seen a couple of Stealers forums since the win, they are going off about the calls. I was on line back in 05 and witnessed the essence of the Stealers fan base, at least the ones that had a job, and a computer at the time. They are no doubt one of the dumbest and hypocritical fan base's in the NFL. For you guys seeing it for the first time, welcome to the hatred for Stealers and there fan base.

Steelers...*

Steelers have been known as Stealers around these parts for a while now. For good reason.

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
RussWILSON3":3rsvhw4u said:
irocdave":3rsvhw4u said:

Steelers...*
Incorrect

Latest posts