Risers and Fallers from Preseason Game #1

vin.couve12

Reaction score
It used to be that if you had this, you were done playing football forever.

“Most Lisfranc injuries, you dislocate your fourth and fifth metatarsal. I dislocated all of mine and broke my fibula as well.”

It's entirely possible even now that he'll never really get it all the way back, but if he does, he was one of the top recruits in the nation for a reason.

CPHawk

Reaction score
Falling
First string D looked as bad on the first drive, as they did the entire game va Atlanta. Why are they getting a pass?

mikeak

Reaction score
CPHawk":r4zttvtb said:
Falling
First string D looked as bad on the first drive, as they did the entire game va Atlanta. Why are they getting a pass?

I can't speak for others but personally because you don't game plan any way in preseason like you do in regular season. You don't play using the same level of complexities - partially because you will be swapping guys in and out. They also really don't give a crap about the game. They are stars, they do not want to get injured - they simply have nothing to play for. When that series is over they can go eat from the buffet table in the locker room.

Yes SD has done that before to seahawks so maybe it is a result of them truly having our number, but I am not worried yet. Not worried does not mean impressed and hopefully that will come later...

KiwiHawk

Reaction score
Seymour":616a85zb said:
kthebestwayw":616a85zb said:
If Kasen Williams keeps ballin put like this he HAS to make the starting top 3WRs on the depth chart. I understand it's preseason and the first game but if he keeps producing like this you can't ignore talent.

I somewhat discounted him since he was pretty slow for a wide receiver. Around a 4.6 40 IIRC.

Then I remind myself of this famous quote....

``I might not be a great athlete,`` he once said, ``but I think I`m a real good football player.``

Who was that you ask??

Steve Largent 8)
4.6 may be charitable, but if you look at his video he makes some very impressive grabs. He's the sort who can turn an INT into a completion.

toffee

Reaction score
Seymour":3sh9ozbk said:
I somewhat discounted him since he was pretty slow for a wide receiver. Around a 4.6 40 IIRC.

same type of speed as one Jerry Rice.

jammerhawk

Reaction score
Thanks for your post Montana, good stuff!

This should be a regular post game thread for all the pre-season games. Sure hope so anyways?

Also liked what I saw from CB- Griffin and thought the other young rookie DB depth looked like they were boys playing against men.

Thought our Whole DLine depth was superior as well. Was disappointed with the play of Ifedi, yet thought I saw promising play at times from the rest of the OLine.

It''s early and you'd expect solid play from those who understand how important competing for a roster spot is to them in actually securing a spot on the 53 man roster. That said Kasen Williams played a great game.

There were a few others that have made it clear they want make the team.

Attyla the Hawk

Reaction score
Jazzhawk":1p7b9m0s said:
Shaquill Griffin gave up a TD to Antonio Gates

As have pretty much every DB covering Gates. C'mon man.

Other than that I enjoyed your analysis. Well done.

This breakdown wasn't on Griffin. Rewatching the tape, it's obvious that Griffin was playing outside leverage. And when you watched the play unfold, Griffin's job was to defend the out/corner. That's how he was aligned and how both he and Thomas played the defense. That breakdown was on Wagner, who looked confused with a short curl at the goal line (defended by Chancellor). Basically Wagner lost assignment and doubled the curl at the goal line instead of dropping into the zone right where Gates caught it.

It was a three man defense -- Griffin maintained outside leverage and Earl had inside. But Wagner didn't provide the depth to force that pass over a defender and Rivers was able to drill Gates in between the outside and inside defenders

That was not Griffin's fault. It would have been had Gates crossed his face to the corner.

OP
OP
MontanaHawk05

MontanaHawk05

Reaction score
jammerhawk":11a2o0ke said:
Thanks for your post Montana, good stuff!

This should be a regular post game thread for all the pre-season games. Sure hope so anyways?

I'll try. I'll be slammed this Saturday after the game, so it might be a bit late.

I really wish someone like Attyla would do it, he obviously sees more than I do.

Seymour

Reaction score
Attyla the Hawk":3uqxtwdt said:
Jazzhawk":3uqxtwdt said:
Shaquill Griffin gave up a TD to Antonio Gates

As have pretty much every DB covering Gates. C'mon man.

Other than that I enjoyed your analysis. Well done.

This breakdown wasn't on Griffin. Rewatching the tape, it's obvious that Griffin was playing outside leverage. And when you watched the play unfold, Griffin's job was to defend the out/corner. That's how he was aligned and how both he and Thomas played the defense. That breakdown was on Wagner, who looked confused with a short curl at the goal line (defended by Chancellor). Basically Wagner lost assignment and doubled the curl at the goal line instead of dropping into the zone right where Gates caught it.

It was a three man defense -- Griffin maintained outside leverage and Earl had inside. But Wagner didn't provide the depth to force that pass over a defender and Rivers was able to drill Gates in between the outside and inside defenders

That was not Griffin's fault. It would have been had Gates crossed his face to the corner.

I wonder why Pete all but called him out on it then? He said something to the effect that he could have played it better.

It's Gates vs rookie anyway. Not a huge concern for me giving one up there.

ACFan

Reaction score
IndyHawk":2ygcqlwh said:
Sorry ACFAN,,
Alex Colline time here is done.
Carson just looks better period.

If Carson looks better than Collins with the same opportunities, then I will see it as well, and will have nothing to say.

Their opportunities couldn't have been more different however, as I showed statistically in the RB thread.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=137705

I can only assume Davis and Carson have outperformed Collins in camp so far, and therefore took the good opportunities in the game that might have been ACs. OR it's a motivational ploy, OR it's a plan to rotate Collins into one of the spots Carson and Davis took in game 1. Maybe a combination of all 3. We'll just have to wait and see.