Stev Wyche: Seattle Seahawks looking dangerous again at just

HawkGA

Reaction score
RiverDog":1dewtqdq said:
HawkGA":1dewtqdq said:
A little background perhaps. There is a rule on the rule books that if the crowd is too loud, the visiting quarterback can complain to the official. The first time the crowd gets a warning. The second time is a 5 yard penalty.

Elway took advantage of the rule if the Broncos were backed up in the end zone.

It was a ridiculously stupid rule. While it is probably true that Elway had difficulty hearing, it was abundantly clear the Boomer didn't, yet the rule was really put in the hands of the visiting team's QB. Plus, penalizing the crowd kind of takes away from the point of going to a game. Never a good idea to penalize your customers.

I remember that rule. It was directed at the Kingdome crowds, and you're right, it was as stupid of a rule I can ever remember, especially the way they applied it with the visiting team QB having so much control over it, but I didn't think that it was still on the books. Are you sure it's still an active rule?

Pretty sure it was a Peter King article I read many years ago that described the story. According to the article it was still on the books at the time but it hasn't been enforced in years. Guessing if they hadn't taken it off the books by the time of that article, which was probably already at least a decade if not more after Wyche did it, they haven't bothered to do it since.

Seahwkgal

Reaction score
seahawksny":2yk9c7ya said:
How many playoff games have the saints won since they won the SB? Not many

There is a reason that the niners, seahawks and ravens have won multiple playoff games in recent years and team like New Orleans HAVE NOT!!
DEFENSE PEOPLE. This team has won with great D in the past regardless if they score 17 points or 39 points. 500 yards of opposing offense is how new Orleans plays, not seattle. U want proof?

Seattle has 6 playoff victories in last three years.
How many do Brees and the saints have?
How many do Brady and the Patriots have? I can think of at least one.[/quote]

Patriots never out slugged teams
They had good defenses with mcginest, bruschi, vrabel, harrison.[/quote]

Hey, I have an idea!!!! Go root for another team then. You obviously like some other teams right now.

The NFL is a tough league and the cap restricts dynasties. Fact. The Hawks will be fine and if they don't win it all this year or go to the big dance, I am still with them through thick and thin.

irocdave

Reaction score
Sam Wyche was a real character, I remember this when it happened. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U7M3S87wHj4

Reading some of the responses here make me wonder where the "we" is coming from. "We" fans don't have a say so in the defense, we can bitch about, build up fan support when it's good but.. "we" have zero impact on the Seahawks D other than making noise while their on the field at home. If you really think "we" fans need to do something about it, you need to check yourself because nothing you, or "we" do will be of any significance for the product on the field. When the QB gets paid, sacrifices are made, not to mention paying all pro key players on D without mortgaging the future.

irocdave

Reaction score
seahawksny":1w4iksgu said:
SoulfishHawk":1w4iksgu said:
Yeah, scoring 39 and winning isn't good enough. We must dwell on giving up 30 and 500 yards.
Because stats matter more than the actual final score. :?

You're right
Giving up 30 points wins a lot of games.
This game reminded me of the beast quake game. What happened one week later? Exactly

This is where we want to be ? Complacent with 500 yards of opposing offense. I love rusell wilson and our team, but if rather strive for great defense than relying becoming the second coming of greatest show on turf.

So lets drive this home...Should the Hawks cut RW and M Lynch after this year so we can bring back Browner, Walter T, Red Bryant, B Max, Clemons, Breno etc? How about cutting Kearse, Baldwin, JG?

Common man, lets here the plan.

Rob12

Reaction score
Personally, and I'm just speaking for myself, I'm getting a bit tired of picking on the defense.

In today's NFL, it's near impossible to stop good offenses. Pittsburgh has one of the best offensive units in recent memory. A seasoned, HOF QB, with a plethora of weapons at the WR position. He has a good line giving him time, and a rejuvenated running back in DeAngelo Williams to keep defenses honest.

Believe me, I've been hard on the defense this season. We've absolutely got smoked by good quarterbacks. But this league sees to it that it's that way.

The announcers had a telling sound bite last week. Pittsburgh loves throwing deep towards the sideline because they have the receivers to make the plays. But if they don't make the plays, the referrees are right there to throw the flag at the first sign of contact.

It's tough to play defense in a league like that. It's geared towards offense, and has been quite for some time. I look at our defense and we still have the No. 4 unit in the league, despite getting torched yards wise against an elite offense. They were able to sustain some drives and they had the ball quite a bit because our offense played well and scored quick on a couple of drives.

We are dangerous, because our offense is starting to click. Russ has a lot to build on going off the past two weeks. Rawls looks like the heir apparent to the Beast's throne. Our receivers are playing great. Doug Baldwin hasn't dropped a pass in over a year. Jermaine Kearse catches a lot of hate, but he's been solid. With Jimmy Graham out, Tyler Lockett should take on a bigger role in the passing game. Kevin Smith passes the eye test for being a legit NFL receiver. The offensive line has built some confidence and has protected Russ the past two weeks. Garry Gilliam has stood out and has done a great job. We're likely getting Paul Richardson back this week, and that's huge.

All in all, we're in good shape. The last three seasons have shown us that this team turns up the heat towards the end of the season, and right now, this year looks to be no different.

Believe. Others do, because they've seen it in the past. We started 2-4 and are now sitting at 6-5. The division is likely lost but I'm not putting it past this team to go on the road and make life hell for opposing teams in the playoffs. The defense will figure it out. They may never be the dominant unit that they once were, but even at that there's still not a defensive unit that I'd replace them with. And the turnovers? Regression to the mean. This defense will force turnovers down the stretch and into the playoffs. Our offensive just needs to capitalize on that.

All the sudden, I feel damn good moving forward. I think this team absolutely has what it takes to get to Santa Clara in February.

RiverDog

Reaction score
Rob12":1bm3jhhp said:
Personally, and I'm just speaking for myself, I'm getting a bit tired of picking on the defense.

In today's NFL, it's near impossible to stop good offenses. Pittsburgh has one of the best offensive units in recent memory. A seasoned, HOF QB, with a plethora of weapons at the WR position. He has a good line giving him time, and a rejuvenated running back in DeAngelo Williams to keep defenses honest.

Believe me, I've been hard on the defense this season. We've absolutely got smoked by good quarterbacks. But this league sees to it that it's that way.

The announcers had a telling sound bite last week. Pittsburgh loves throwing deep towards the sideline because they have the receivers to make the plays. But if they don't make the plays, the referrees are right there to throw the flag at the first sign of contact.

It's tough to play defense in a league like that. It's geared towards offense, and has been quite for some time. I look at our defense and we still have the No. 4 unit in the league, despite getting torched yards wise against an elite offense. They were able to sustain some drives and they had the ball quite a bit because our offense played well and scored quick on a couple of drives.

We are dangerous, because our offense is starting to click. Russ has a lot to build on going off the past two weeks. Rawls looks like the heir apparent to the Beast's throne. Our receivers are playing great. Doug Baldwin hasn't dropped a pass in over a year. Jermaine Kearse catches a lot of hate, but he's been solid. With Jimmy Graham out, Tyler Lockett should take on a bigger role in the passing game. Kevin Smith passes the eye test for being a legit NFL receiver. The offensive line has built some confidence and has protected Russ the past two weeks. Garry Gilliam has stood out and has done a great job. We're likely getting Paul Richardson back this week, and that's huge.

All in all, we're in good shape. The last three seasons have shown us that this team turns up the heat towards the end of the season, and right now, this year looks to be no different.

Believe. Others do, because they've seen it in the past. We started 2-4 and are now sitting at 6-5. The division is likely lost but I'm not putting it past this team to go on the road and make life hell for opposing teams in the playoffs. The defense will figure it out. They may never be the dominant unit that they once were, but even at that there's still not a defensive unit that I'd replace them with. And the turnovers? Regression to the mean. This defense will force turnovers down the stretch and into the playoffs. Our offensive just needs to capitalize on that.

All the sudden, I feel damn good moving forward. I think this team absolutely has what it takes to get to Santa Clara in February.

I don't think Worthlessburger has HOF in his future, at least not yet. For QB's, he needs at least one MVP, either league or SB.

We've won a couple of contests at home, one against a totally inept 49'ers team and another against a playoff quality Steelers team. This Sunday will be a better yardstick to tell whether or not we're ready for Prime Time.

Overseasfan

Reaction score
This victory against the Steelers was really necessary, if we also beat the Vikes we'll probably be one of the most feared teams in the NFL again. I doubt even teams like the Bengals and Panthers are happy that a team they only barely beat is now rolling on all cilinders. We'd at the very least have the best chance out of all the wildcards to stir up a storm.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
seahawksny":6593yyra said:
How many playoff games have the saints won since they won the SB? Not many

There is a reason that the niners, seahawks and ravens have won multiple playoff games in recent years and team like New Orleans HAVE NOT!!
DEFENSE PEOPLE. This team has won with great D in the past regardless if they score 17 points or 39 points. 500 yards of opposing offense is how new Orleans plays, not seattle. U want proof?

Seattle has 6 playoff victories in last three years.
How many do Brees and the saints have?
How many do Brady and the Patriots have? I can think of at least one.[/quote]

Patriots never out slugged teams
They had good defenses with mcginest, bruschi, vrabel, harrison.[/quote]

The Patriots scored over 30 points 7 times last year... and gave up 20+ 6 times. Thats winning with offense.

In 2003, they won 4 games while giving up over 25 points. Winning with offense.
in 2004, they gave up over 20 points 4 times, winning twice...
in 2012 (lost Super Bowl), they gave up 24+ points 7 times, won 4 of those games.

Seattle has given up 20+ points 6 times this season, losing 5 times.

Their D, this year, is no worse off than many of those Patriots teams. And now, atleast last week, the offense stepped up to help out, as Brady often did. I agree the D needs to do a better job of containing good QBs, but some of that will come with a stronger offense.

RussWILSON3

Reaction score
RiverDog":2uswut4f said:
Rob12":2uswut4f said:

I don't think Worthlessburger has HOF in his future, at least not yet. For QB's, he needs at least one MVP, either league or SB.

We've won a couple of contests at home, one against a totally inept 49'ers team and another against a playoff quality Steelers team. This Sunday will be a better yardstick to tell whether or not we're ready for Prime Time.

To leave him out of the HOF, with that resume'? INSANITY. Are you gonna leave out Peyton as well? Sheeeesh.

Seafan

Reaction score
The problem is we as fans can't explain the fall off of this defense. It could just be as simple as the losses of Quinn and Norton.

The defense has been a problem but isn't the whole team experiencing problems. Wouldn't more first downs on offense help the defense?

Injuries and holdouts and miss camp has had an impact. I hope the D gets better. But this is the defense, like it or not.

253hawk

Reaction score
seahawksny":klz01swg said:
You're right
This game reminded me of the beast quake game. What happened one week later? Exactly

Well, we played in 20 degree weather and had a whopping 34 yards rushing which made for a dreadful 3/14 on third down conversions and almost a 1:2 TOP disparity. First score was a FG at the end of the 3rd quarter. That game was totally on the offense, even if the defense struggled in the first half.

RichNhansom

Reaction score
253hawk":2t6npt2w said:
seahawksny":2t6npt2w said:
You're right

Well, we played in 20 degree weather and had a whopping 34 yards rushing which made for a dreadful 3/14 on third down conversions and almost a 1:2 TOP disparity. First score was a FG at the end of the 3rd quarter. That game was totally on the offense, even if the defense struggled in the first half.

That NO game was our super bowl for most of the team that year. We were massive under dogs who trailed by 10 points multiple times. Coming away with a win especially with the beast quake involved was enourmously emotional.

I remember the team in the locker room celebrating the win and Hasselbeck was trying to get them to settle doen some saying we haven't done anything yet.

The next game went pretty much exactly how you would expect. Playing a rested team that would eventually make the super bowl, in horrid weather and we were blown out from the start.

Matt got it going later in the game but by that pount it was too late.