Steve Ballmer possibly buying the Clippers

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":8h5nnxti said:
It was a great effort from Hansen, and he'll always be that dude to me. But we don't even hear from him no more, and now we see this all star group fracturing with Ballmer's interest in the Clippers and keeping them in LA. It was great while it lasted... I guess, but oh well, ain't much to do now but sulk and realize it's still seattle, no matter how great the Seahawks are and how great it was to see the blue and green confetti falling as the player hoisted the Lombardi, it's still seattle and nothing good happens in sports, unless there's a 35 year gap between.
#%€& the NBA and it's Stern clone Silver!

Throwdown

Reaction score
Still have yet to see any proof as to how he's anything like Stern 4-5 months on the job other than the baby ass whining about no promise of a team, but if that's how ya feel :)

drdiags

Reaction score
Good for him if he is able to get them. He just wants to be involved with the nba and it isn't happening here. He mentions he is retired and had no regional bias so let him in. Maybe he is part of the owners sympathetic to Seattle in the future?

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
Throwdown":1v156an2 said:
Tech Worlds":1v156an2 said:
Bad news for supersonic fans

It's the death blow
How?

Did Hansen say he was done or something? Did Hansen sell his land? Did the MOU expire?

Throwdown

Reaction score
I don't think he does need him, as it turned out that the money man wasn't Ballmer, it was Hansen.

It's just a big name that we lost, that the NBA is very familiar with.

I overreacted, no shame in admitting it. I still don't see the nba coming back anytime soon.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":268r23sf said:
Ummm....no he doesn't

Umm... yes he does, or he needs someone of similar or somewhere near the pocket size.

Big money talks in big sports. Hansen is not big money.

Tech Worlds

Reaction score
Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

That's why this is the death blow.

There is no team coming here anytime in the next few years or it would be reasonable to figure Ballmer would have waited.

Throwdown

Reaction score
We got 3 years left on the MOU, I just don't see anything in the pipeline anymore unless the Bucks re-enter it. Which is possible, but they have til 2017 for that I believe, that's when the MOU ends.

chris98251

Reaction score
Balmer is just part of the group, there are several involved, he has allowed his name to come out, most are not known. It's hardly a deathblow.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1y8id2dm said:
Let's put it this way.... Ballmer is part of the group trying to get a team in Seattle. If HE is running off to purchase a team in another city it basically means nothing is coming our way for the foreseeable future and he frankly didn't feel up to waiting around for something that isn't coming anytime soon.

There is no team coming here anytime in the next few years or it would be reasonable to figure Ballmer would have waited.

Probably the bigger point than what I suggested.

TestMo1337

Reaction score
Opportunities for Seattle to get a team have been slim for a while. When Hansen attempted a legit and truthful purchase of the Kings and to move them to Seattle was their best chance. I don't see an opportunity like that coming in the near future even with so many teams balancing on an edge if a knife.

Balmer going off to buy the Clippers is a great move for him and an indifference to Seattle's opportunity. He was just a money name which can be replaced. Obviously the key to Seattle getting a team is Hansen's continued efforts and his ability to win over the politicians in Seattle and winning favor with the NBA (which is doubtful).

Hawkfan77

Reaction score
SonicHawk":3ls5n2yx said:
Hawkfan77":3ls5n2yx said:
Ummm....no he doesn't

Umm... yes he does, or he needs someone of similar or somewhere near the pocket size.

::couch:: the sacremento kings ::cough:: ::cough::

Vivek Ranadive is worth $700 million and he was able to purchase to the Kings...so that blows your theory out of the water. The owners valued that $700 more than Ballmers billions.

Us getting a team has little to do with Ballmer's net worth

Spounge84

Reaction score
Hawkfan77":2nmxwd0g said:
SonicHawk":2nmxwd0g said:
Hawkfan77":2nmxwd0g said:
Ummm....no he doesn't

::couch:: the sacremento kings ::cough:: ::cough::

Vivek Ranadive is worth $700 million and he was able to purchase to the Kings...so that blows your theory out of the water. The owners valued that $700 more than Ballmers billions.

Us getting a team has little to do with Ballmer's net worth

You're forgetting that Ranadive was just the richest of several buyers. No one's saying Hansen wasn't contributing financially, just that Balmer was the major contributor.

Hasselbeck

Reaction score
Tech Worlds":1nluqzj5 said:

Eh I don't really buy that. No one thought the Clippers would be available for sale in the Summer of 2014. The opportunity to own a team in Los Angeles does not come around very often.. you notice Ballmer jumped at this opportunity and not others. If all he wanted was to own a team, then he would have been in on the Bucks deal too..

I don't think this changes Seattle getting a team one way or the other. I also don't think Ballmer's group will ultimately buy the team either because of his ties to Seattle and because the league is wary of having another Clay Bennett thing unfold.

SonicHawk

Reaction score
Hasselbeck":1gd7dd55 said:
Tech Worlds":1gd7dd55 said:

Eh I don't really buy that. No one thought the Clippers would be available for sale in the Summer of 2014. The opportunity to own a team in Los Angeles does not come around very often.. you notice Ballmer jumped at this opportunity and not others. If all he wanted was to own a team, then he would have been in on the Bucks deal too..

I don't think this changes Seattle getting a team one way or the other. I also don't think Ballmer's group will ultimately buy the team either because of his ties to Seattle and because the league is wary of having another Clay Bennett thing unfold.

You're nuts if you think Ballmer would have any thought of moving the Clippers to Seattle. NBA isn't worried about it either. There are no reservations for the NBA having Ballmer own the Clippers.

You think the Clippers are a $2B team in Seattle? No, they aren't.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":3bcmn9va said:
Still have yet to see any proof as to how he's anything like Stern 4-5 months on the job other than the baby ass whining about no promise of a team, but if that's how ya feel :)
Haven't seen any proof he is different from little Napoleon. I know you are a fan so even if there was proof I'm sure it would be ignored. 8)

CPHawk

Reaction score
And you had to know at some point Sterling would change his mind and fight.