NBA investigates Clippers owner Donald Sterling for racism

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":1mi7osa0 said:
SonicHawk":1mi7osa0 said:
Milehighhawk":1mi7osa0 said:
It is however about privacy and an increasing tendency for media and the larger society to care less and less about it. How would you feel about someone recording all your conversations just in case you say something juicy, rip it completely out of context, and then publish it to your parents, family and friends for the sole purpose of destroying your character? The less the media and people in general value privacy, the more the door will open until there is no longer a perception that it is even something that should be protected at all for the sake of "transparency" and "security".

You may not like this guy, I may not like this guy, but I should think most people care about something like that.

It wasn't out of context. The government has taken no action. There is no legal issue. Privacy is not an acceptable term for a public figure. We live in a public word, if you're a public figure things will come out. Everyone has phones that record HD video and audio. I prefer a world in which people actually think about what they do and say and see consequences (not by the government but by other humans) rather than a world that's hush hush.

I care that the government isn't impeding on his ability to privately hate black people. I do care that a private organization kicks him the f*@# out.

Not to mention Sterling requested on his own volition to have his conversations recorded because he was having trouble remembering things and then trusted those recordings to his mistress (that always seems safe)

Basic line is this:

a. he was an a-hole and a racist.
2. he picked an disloyal gold digging tramp to record his conversations
c. she got back at him for whatever reason she chose because, well, she's an disloyal gold digging tramp
d. noone is coming to his defense because, shockingly, this surprises noone that knows him. That has to say a ton.

He did this to himself. While I understand the perception (and its a rationale one) that our entire sordid lives are seemingly open to display, in this case Sterling chose to say these things while knowing that his mistress/assistant was recording conversations (he may not have known she was recording that one). Apparently there are 11 hours (11 HOURS!) of recorded conversation.

Do you have a source for the bolded? That is quite a claim. I can pretty much understand/agree with the rest of this, but the increasingly tabloid nature (if I may use such a phrase) and mob behavior of the "regular" media is disturbing to me.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":37m9n9j7 said:
Sports Hernia":37m9n9j7 said:
Throwdown":37m9n9j7 said:
Sports Hernia":37m9n9j7 said:
Sounds like the racist doesn't want to sell his team and will sue the NBA. :)
I hope the racist and NBA NUKE each other in court and there is nothing left of each except smoldering rubble. I'll have my popcorn ready. :th2thumbs:

Lawyers aren't even taking Sterlings case, he's done.

There really isn't anything to hit the nba with, Silver released the NBA's constitution and bylaws just before the press conference, for the first time in ever we can read their secret fraternity rules and stuff. And nothing in those guidelines did Silver or the NBA violate.

NBA still stands, long live the NBA. Sterling will die a confused, shamed, lonely and clipperless death.
You are forgetting he is a billionaire who could buy the best lawyers money can buy reguardless of how frivolous it may or may not be. He is everything you say he is and probably worse......but if he wants to he will get a pound of flesh from the NBA.

If he does, I don't think Silver would even care lol, Silver just wants him gone. Also this is a good platform if this does go to trial to see if Silvers commitment to transparency that he's talked about since becoming the commissioner is actually for real, or if he's just blowing smoke trying to win adoration from fans.
What Silver thinks is irrelevant, If this goes to court. You are right about the transparency par though, a test I think Silver will fail, but we will see .

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
God's Country AKA Cascadia AKA The Pacific Northwe
Milehighhawk":whn9j520 said:
1. Never implied what Sterling said was taken out of context.

Milehighhawk":whn9j520 said:
How would you feel about someone recording all your conversations just in case you say something juicy, rip it completely out of context,

Uh...unless you're going to say that this is quoted out of context, you sure did imply that the media is taking Sterling out of context.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":1i1eoni2 said:
Milehighhawk":1i1eoni2 said:

Milehighhawk":1i1eoni2 said:
How would you feel about someone recording all your conversations just in case you say something juicy, rip it completely out of context,

Uh...unless you're going to say that this is quoted out of context, you sure did imply that the media is taking Sterling out of context.

Again reading is fundamental. I guess I have to quote myself "How would you feel about someone recording all YOUR converstions..." Note your is the object of the preposition, not Sterling. It is a nod towards the tendency for people to generally take such things out of context as often they are given no context to start with, not addressing Sterling's specific situation. Thanks for playing.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
The claim was taken from Bill Simmons piece on Grantland and I think is part of (or becoming) the accepted narrative of how his mistress was able to get the recordings.

quoted from Simmons "Supposedly there are more than a hundred hours of these tapes. Supposedly Sterling asked his assistant/girlfriend/whatever-the-hell-she-was, V. Stiviano, to start recording his thoughts because the 80-year-old Sterling couldn’t remember things as well anymore. Supposedly this is only getting worse."

(I said 11, apparently its hundreds!)

I do not dispute the hungry tabloid nature of our society and its rippling effects on privacy, truth and the massive grey area that exists between. But in this sense, Sterling's own character assassinated itself it seems in the company with whom he trusted his bigotry.

Spounge84

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":36x1jt0u said:
Smelly McUgly":36x1jt0u said:

Again reading is fundamental. I guess I have to quote myself "How would you feel about someone recording all YOUR converstions..." Note your is the object of the preposition, not Sterling. It is a nod towards the tendency for people to generally take such things out of context as often they are given no context to start with, not addressing Sterling's specific situation. Thanks for playing.

Then why even mention it since it's irrelevant to the issue at hand? Seems like you're backpedaling a lot here.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Uncle Si":3bkk7631 said:
The claim was taken from Bill Simmons piece on Grantland and I think is part of (or becoming) the accepted narrative of how his mistress was able to get the recordings.

quoted from Simmons "Supposedly there are more than a hundred hours of these tapes. Supposedly Sterling asked his assistant/girlfriend/whatever-the-hell-she-was, V. Stiviano, to start recording his thoughts because the 80-year-old Sterling couldn’t remember things as well anymore. Supposedly this is only getting worse."

(I said 11, apparently its hundreds!)

I do not dispute the hungry tabloid nature of our society and its rippling effects on privacy, truth and the massive grey area that exists between. But in this sense, Sterling's own character assassinated itself it seems in the company with whom he trusted his bigotry.

Wow, that may make this even more interesting. If the man is beginning to suffer forms of dementia/memory loss, I wonder if he can make any defense based on disability...

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
Milehighhawk":2f30m9ww said:
Smelly McUgly":2f30m9ww said:

No, you just can't write for crap, which I fully realized when you misused the word "preposition."

As anyone who has passed English 101 would know, when one comments on the Sterling issue by saying, "How would you feel at someone recording all your conversations and taking you out of context," one implies that both of these elements were at play in the original Sterling incident. If you wanted to be exact, maybe you should have written something like: "How would you feel if you were recorded? Furthermore, even though it did not happen in Sterling's case, what if you were taken out of context when quoted by the media in those recordings?" See how that extra sentence illustrates that you are not trying to imply that Sterling was taken out of context? Not that hard, is it?

So please take a composition class and learn how to write or stick to writing about topics that aren't beyond your ability, like picture books and crayons. Thanks, champ.

Uncle Si

Reaction score
I think there is a far stretch from requesting your assistant to record conversations for egotistical posterity and some mental incapication. I dont imagine, unless there is some medical documentation showing he was headed down that road that he would have any defense there.

Smelly hammering Milehigh like Smoak takes an inside fastball... (warning track power)

hawksfansinceday1

Reaction score
Uncle Si":2odjr017 said:
I think there is a far stretch from requesting your assistant to record conversations for egotistical posterity and some mental incapication. I dont imagine, unless there is some medical documentation showing he was headed down that road that he would have any defense there.

Smelly hammering Milehigh like Smoak takes an inside fastball... (warning track power)
Naw, Smoak swings and misses. That's his specialty.
Smelly and Milehigh? Well, I'll leave that analysis for others.

Smelly McUgly

Reaction score
I probably shouldn't have been rude, but it's okay to admit that your thoughts ran ahead of your ability to word them properly. It happens to everyone. On the other hand, attacking people as though they aren't able to read is a chump move. Admit your error and move on.

Anyway, returning to the original discussion...the NBA must love that they may have an ownership group with a black female in it that they can tout. Oprah would be a nice "face of the franchise" get for the NBA.

Milehighhawk

Reaction score
Smelly McUgly":yqcu6443 said:
I probably shouldn't have been rude, but it's okay to admit that your thoughts ran ahead of your ability to word them properly. It happens to everyone. On the other hand, attacking people as though they aren't able to read is a chump move. Admit your error and move on.

Anyway, returning to the original discussion...the NBA must love that they may have an ownership group with a black female in it that they can tout. Oprah would be a nice "face of the franchise" get for the NBA.

Going to drop this here, no need to go in circles. We'll leave it as a misunderstanding despite the personal attacks.

I still question whether or not the NBA will be able to force him out completely if, and its a big if, he chooses to take the legal route. It could probably drag on until he dies of old age.

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":1rptrfpa said:
It does sound like it's going to be unanimous, I also can't imagine it won't be. Can you imagine the PR nightmare for the teams that don't go with Silver's wishes? good lord!
They'd be stupid to not to vote him out, but it's their right not to if the so choose. Was reading an AP article today that made a solid arguement for DS's side due to vague and debateable language in the NBA's bylaws.

Also, let's say an owner like Cuban stands up and says I'm voting against a forced sale based on the "slippery slope" arguement, what's Silver going to do besides shake his boney little fist at him?

Throwdown

Reaction score
Sports Hernia":77jcr4qd said:
Throwdown":77jcr4qd said:
It does sound like it's going to be unanimous, I also can't imagine it won't be. Can you imagine the PR nightmare for the teams that don't go with Silver's wishes? good lord!
They'd be stupid to not to vote him out, but it's their right not to if the so choose. Was reading an AP article today that made a solid arguement for DS's side due to vague and debateable language in the NBA's bylaws.

Also, let's say an owner like Cuban stands up and says I'm voting against a forced sale based on the "slippery slope" arguement, what's Silver going to do besides shake his boney little fist at him?

Cuban also said afterwards that he stood behind Silver. Cuban might be unstable ;)

Sports Hernia

Reaction score
Throwdown":1ajukmii said:
Sports Hernia":1ajukmii said:
Throwdown":1ajukmii said:

Cuban also said afterwards that he stood behind Silver. Cuban might be unstable ;)
He stood behind Silver with reservations and concerns that this could go down the slippery slope route in the future. He might be outside of the box when it comes to convention wisdom, but I don't think he is unstable, outspoken, yes.

TheRealDTM

Reaction score
He has an incredible 1st amendment and privacy rights case on his hands. The case should honestly go to the supreme court and any (pro) lawyer would take that case in a heartbeat

Throwdown

Reaction score
Whether it was legally or illegally taped, his opinions were heard no? We're just act like the stuff wasn't heard? come the hell on with this.

His presence is harmful to the Clippers organization and the NBA because the tapes were HEARD and his views are out there. Dude shouldn't get to keep his team.